De Dolle Extra Export Stout - Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers

De Dolle Extra Export StoutDe Dolle Extra Export Stout

Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: stcules on 03-13-2004)
1.53/5  rDev -60.7%

Drank this bottle at Winking Lizard. They provided my with a wine glass to drink it from.

Apparently the date is on the cap, and as I was at a bar, I did not get to see the cap or date. My guess is that this was an extremely fresh bottle, and that the refermentation/bottle conditioning was still highly active. OR, maybe it's infected; though the beer did not have any of the characteristic vinegar and sourness of being infected. But perhaps this is exactly as the beer was meant to taste and feel...

A disappointment.

I saw this on the bottle list for the World Tour a few days ago and my mouth was watering at the idea of a fine Extra Export Stout. I knew this was Belgian brewer, but assumed that the heavier stout characteristics would carry through...

Apparently not.

Heavy carbonation had this nearly gushing as the waitress brought the bottle over, cap already off. Pouring became a long and laborious chore of trying not to overflow my glass with foam, no matter how slowly and carefully I poured it. The beer was black and thin with a large - and growing - toffee colored head. With much effort I kept this to a 2/2.5 finger height in my small wine glass. The bubbles were tiny and vigorous, and the head retention was epicly long. No lace, the beer was too thin and watery for that. Doesn't look too bad...

Boy I was wrong.

Smells largely of dry belgian yeast. Spicy and doughy, remeniscent of Duvel. A faint roastiness pervades, but is immediatly smacked down by the powerful foaming nemesis bubbling up from the black depths of my glass. So ok, the smell isn't as nice as the beer looked, how bad could this really be...

Very.

Flavor is SUPER SUPER dry. Too much so, in fact, and this, paired with the insane amount of carbonation, essentially rout the meager stout flavors. The beer is bitter alright. Not sure if it is the yeast or the hops, but it is bitter in a bad, aspirin and unwashed chemically treated citrus rind kind of way. After numerous sips and letting warm to near room temperature I finally detect a triflingly small amount of bitter espresso on the finish. There's no way this could get any worse...

There is.

The mouthfeel is pure pain. The bitter carbonation literally stings my lips. The beer is drier than any champange I have ever tasted, and the long bitter finish is horrible. The massive flow of carbonation is beginning to turn my stomach now...

Get up and leave.

Drinkability? None imo. This beer, for whatever reason, despite the rave reviews, did not do it for me. Had I been at home this would have surely been a drain pour, but at the bar it merely sat, more than half left unfinished. I could not even force myself to finish what was poured into the wine glass.

Sorry De Dolle, but I doubt I will have the courage to try another of your beers, even if they do sound good...

Spider889, Jan 06, 2011
1.8/5  rDev -53.7%

Blind Beer #10 from Shogo.
Served in a nonic pint...

Good thing I used a 20 oz glass for this one-- it had a HUGE 4 finger head. No, it had a fist. (four fingers just weren't enough. Had to go full fist). Huge creamy tan head over a deep reddish murky body.

Whatever style this is, it is extremely overcarbonated. Thin and fizzy feeling.

Smells like a chocolate cherry diet rite soda. Wow. This is not good. Very strange beer. There is some choclate malt with a strange dry roasty finish... Virtually nothin about this impresses me....

--- REVEAL ---
De Dolle Foreign Export Stout.

Wow. Really? I've seem this on shelves in Indiana... It is NOT worth the $7-$8 per bottle pricetag!
Now that I know what it is, I still don't pick up any notes that improve my opinion. it is really like a roasty diet chocolate cherry soda with a touch of dry boozy bitterness at the end.
Me no likey.

AleWatcher, Feb 05, 2012
1.98/5  rDev -49.1%

330 mL bottle pours a dark brown color with a fine-bubbled tan head. Retention and lacing just ok.

Whoa...interesting! Nose is earthy mushrooms and blue cheese. Infected? Old? This bottle did not sit for more than 2 years or so in the cellar, so not sure what is going on here.

Taste is rotten cocoa beans with a side of dirt and old fruit. Im guessing this is bad, but it is not sour like most infected beers I have had. Drain pour and I will post this review merely for anyone else who might have a similar experience with this one.

twiggamortis420, Oct 18, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -47.3%

Poured into Bells snifter

Pours a large fizzy tan head that fades down fast. Color is black. Lots of sediment in the glass.

Aroma: Something smells off here. Smell is of sour cherries and other dark dried fruits, chocolate, and alcohol. Not a lot here.

Taste: More slight soured cherries here. Very odd flavor. It seems a bit infected, but I can't tell. I has fig and Belgian candi sugar with some chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy. Tons of carbonation with a medium bodied. Ends a bit hot with the cherry flavors again.

Overall, not a very good beer. I can't tell if this is how it is supposed to taste or not. I can understand the high carbonation but some of the flavors just aren't good. Not to drinkable.

mothman, Sep 19, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -46.5%

de dolle is hit or miss. loved the bos keun (most recent dd experience).. anxious to try this. 11.2 oz.

appearance is nice, dark dark dark with a light foamy head that stuck around and never really dissolved.

aroma is standard.. malty and spicy like de dolle brews usually are. there is something in the scent i couldn't place until i tasted it. i tried blowing into the tulip, sticking my nose way in the glass.. just couldn't get a hold on it. best described as a bitter burnt vanilla.

the taste was one of the most outstandingly terrible experiences of my life. it was like chewing on a wet bathing suit or moldy firewood. there is a bitterness to this beer that is not smooth or interesting, merely disgusting. i think if you ever had a dank basement or bad mushrooms in your fridge you'd be able to identify this flavor. if not, maybe you could mistake it for 'complexity'.

that was the end of the review, most of the bottle went down the drain (slowly). positive scores for appearance, smell and mouthfeel shouldn't factor in, but that's how this system works.

goodbyeohio, Jan 18, 2005
2.15/5  rDev -44.7%

Appearance - The muddy water brown stout was cloudy and when put to the light did not have a distinct or appealing color

Smell - faint smell of whiskey and apricot

Taste - Starts nice and finishes like a train wreck... sickly sour at the end

Mouthfeel - not much to speak of

Drinkability - I would take many other mass produced stouts, I dont think I would pick this up again.

jopper, May 26, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -42.2%

Hahahaha. It doesn't matter how slow you pour this one. You are going to get a full pint glass of foam. The head is super frothy and goopy. Aroma is very intense. Nose is full of dark fruit alcohol, and yeast. Taste is definately that of a belgian stout. This is fruity and metallic. There are hints of chocolate and coffee but nothing too strong. This is interesting but isn't a stout.. There is an odd astringentness to it. The feel though is WAY too thin. It's not drinakble. Its a waste of money.

kbnooshay, Oct 18, 2009
2.28/5  rDev -41.4%

Bottle inspection: Gusher! I'm assuming this was b/c the bottle got agitated since it's a bottle conditioned beer. In any case I kept it cold and I'll have to knock it's appearance.

Aroma: Light fig and raisin notes with rum cake undertones. Sweet fruity esters up front and no hop aroma detected.

Appearance: See above. Jet black pour with a huge tan foamy head.

Flavor: Spicy yeast driven esters with some cinnamon and clove background notes. Moderate warming alcohol. A bit of background roastiness (I think?) that gets washed over by the yeast driven spiciness. Background earthy hop flavors layer under the yeasty character. Finish is clean and dry.

Mouthfeel: Slightly astringent and medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall impression: A black dubbel? This isn't a foreign extra stout by any stretch. If it is, then it's infected and that's a different issue. It is enjoyable just not to style. This one needs to be reclassified b/c I was hoping for a nice Foreign Extra Stout and this one just didn't deliver.

mattcrill, Jun 16, 2008
2.43/5  rDev -37.5%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a snifter. Way too overcarbonated. Head will not dissipate.
Hops absent. Roasty dark malt, with some sweet vinous fruity tones, prunes and molasses. Some touches of mild pepper and vinegar notes.
Belgian yeast is the highlight, a little spicy, not enough stout taste or characteristics. Not improving at all as it warms either. Bitter chocolate/espresso notes, weird bitterness in the end. Licorice, that's it, really heavy on the licorice. Fruits were in there, but not nearly as apparent as in the aroma. Unfortunately, all the great things about the taste of this beer were overshadowed by the unwelcome taste of vinegar and/or floor cleaner.
Way too much carbonation for a stout. Typical Belgian pale ale mouthfeel but doesn't work for this style at all.
Won't ever try this again, especially after having so many good Belgian Stouts like Allagash Black or that one Terrapin Side project Beer. This is a worse version of that other Podge Belgian Stout I had once and also hated.

claspada, Jul 27, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -35.7%

This one was a HUGE gusher...very disappointing, all I got from this was 3 pint glasses of foam. I would have held this as an isolated incident if I had not purchased 2 bottles and the 2nd one did a repeat performance of the first. Not bad ...I filled 6 pint glasses with only two 11oz bottle, too bad it was all foam.

At least I was able to get some sensory notes:
Burnt coffee
Melons
Loads of bread and yeast

Someday I would like to try a good bottle of this again (as soon as I recover from the $9.00 of foam I put down the drain)

Cheers

Edit ...

I would tend to say that since the two bottles of beer were stored at 45 degrees for 7 days and remained totally untouched during that time that there was indeed adequate refrigeration and a relative degree of non-agitation.

6470zzy, Jul 04, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -35.7%

chrispoint, Feb 18, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -35%

popped the cap with a good pffft. poured with a generous head the whole way, from the very minute it hit the glass and a black color falling underneath leaving a creamy silky head on top that is slightly off white. has a distinctive belgian character about it but the heavy stout characters are also there, raisins dark fruits, dark swwet caramel and sugar. very appetizing with some chocolatly notes also. holly crap is this carbonated, way way too much. almost to the point where it completely looses all of it sstout character and you just get a fizzy carbonated liquid in your mouth. so dissapointing, I was really looking forward to this being awesome...oh well.

You definetly have to let this sit a bit and release some of the carbonation. it becomes a bit easier to drink, still very carbonted though. maybe worth picking up.

shippos, Dec 14, 2004
2.6/5  rDev -33.2%

Poured into a snifter over a plate because I heard it was a gusher. And holy crap was it ever. Uncanny delayed reaction explosion upon opening. Held it over the snifter for quite a while until it stopped, and even after that, it took a few minutes of slow pouring to get it all in the glass. By the time it was all in, there was still a 3 inch chocolaty head that took a few more minutes to recede. After that, it looked pretty damn good.

S- Hops absent. Roasty dark malt, fruity: dried figs/prunes and cherry. Some touches of vanilla, mild pepper and bittersweet chocolate.

T- Driven by Belgian yeast, and yes, there are the hops. A little spicy. Nice bitter chocolate/espresso complement. The hops really show up 5 - 10 seconds after swallowing for what at first seemed like a nice balance, but turned into a weird bitterness. Fruits were in there, but not nearly as apparent as in the aroma. Unfortunately, all the great things about the taste of this beer were overshadowed by the unwelcome taste of adhesive. Someone who tried it with me said it was like drinking floor cleaner.

M- Way too much carbonation for a stout. Misses on style points, but it still has a nice Belgian feel that works for me.

D- Doubt I'll ever try this again, but it was worth trying as an experiment for the schizophrenic nature (is it a stout? a dubbel? a Belgian brown?) and the hilarity that ensues upon opening.

I've had two other Belgian stouts that I can remember (Alvinne and Allagash), and they were a far cry better than this complex mess.

7ways, Oct 14, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -32.4%

Man, this is definitely not the beer for me. Ordered at the Brickstore in Atlanta. This beer looks better than it tastes. After that, it's all downhill. Taste is ridiculously sour...unfortunately I couldn't get past that aspect. On top of the sour taste, the beer was so effervescent, it was almost undrinkable. I could see where some people might like this. As for me, I had to send it back.

jdubjacket, Apr 13, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -32.4%

...okay, I think the beer has warmed up enough to start the review. On to the beer:

Let's see, it's black in color, and the head is big and bubbly. Nice retention on top. Smells...tart, like citrus zest. That's a bit of a surprise. Has a faint roasted scent to it too, akin to hot chocolate.

It tastes sour like cherries with a touch of stout. This is tough to review. I sort of like it, but I want more roasted malt and less sourness in my stout! But...as it warms, an echo of milk chocolate emerges. The faint roasted chocolate can be tasted in the aftertaste.

Overall...I don't know. I'm confused by this beer. Go for it if you're adventurous, but a sour stout isn't for me.

DoubleJ, May 27, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -29.8%

Bottle.
Opened with a very energetic pop and then pours with a really big foamy head. Have to show patience as the head settles to even try this one. Dark brown color with a big fluffy head that slowly settles. Jeez, this thing almost makes me feel it is infected. The aroma is a mix of sweet dark fruits, licorice, and coffee grounds. The mouthfeel is light and carbonated. Alcohol is fairly prevalent in the taste along with some sweetness and some biterness in the end. Sweet candy fruit taste that quickly transitions and is really interrupted by the carbonation. Really not my idea of a stout and nothing I would want to drink again.

kbutler1, Sep 20, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

jbertsch, Nov 03, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -26.7%

stamp on the cap says bottled jun 2010, but a stout with 9%abv, i decided to give it a try. there is plenty of life left in this bottle. a very slow pour results in a glass full of head that takes twelve minutes for it to get to the point where i can drink it. with all this foam i expected some lacing, but nope, this looks oily. the nose is very sweet and cola smelling. hints of toffee and caramel can barely squeek thru the strong alochol aroma. taste is dominated by alochol also. the flavors that do manage to be detected are more cola like than stout like. mouthfeel is very thin and warming, almost burning. over carbonation is also a problem for me with this beer. overall i feel this is not worth the $7 i paid for a 11.2oz bottle.

match1112, Jan 23, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -26%

Very thin looking dark, dark brown in color. One inch deep head with a brown hint to it. Nose is cocoa and licorice. Flavor is actually kind of disappointing. Some cocao, molasses and raisins. The alcohol is also a bit apparent and gives a rum-like flavor. Kind of a bitter bite from the hops that destroys any more flavors after the initial sip. Very thin mouthfeel and a bit of an alcohol burn. Kind of a struggle to drink and not too keen on Belgians stouts.

MuddyFeet, Nov 25, 2005
2.95/5  rDev -24.2%

Insanely high carbonation; my pint glass has about an inch of beer and 7 inches of head. After that settles, I pour with painstaking slowness to get it down to about 2 fingers of head. Great retention but surprisingly no lacing.

Aroma is of cocoa powder, peanut skins, and prune juice.

Flavor is of brown sugar with a big prune influence. Quite similar to the aroma actually.

Mouthfeel is waaay too heavy on the carbonation, makes it hard to drink.

illidurit, Apr 21, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -23.4%

it poured dark with a HUGE foamy head despite me pouring carefully. took 5 minutes just to get it all into the pint glass. nice lacing.

smells strong of booze (expected at 9%), and a touch of floral hops. not much of a malt smell as the booze was too strong.

tasted more like a dark belgian ale rather than a stout. slight malt flavor, but much more hops and alcohol came through.. had a sour cherry flavor mid palate that stayed around at the finish as well, and was stronger as the beer warmed.

It wasnt as heavy as i expected for a stout, so mouthfeel i must say was a let down. not creamy or thick feeling at all.

as for drinkability, i could drink this slowly, but could not make a session out of it. it is a reasonably good brew, just not sure it fits in the stout category.

tayner, Oct 30, 2007

mattfancett, Sep 02, 2014

bonbini26, Jan 13, 2012

IdrinkGas, Sep 24, 2012
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Very good. Pours a nice murky brown with very nice brown frothy head and ample lacing.

Smell: Good. Nice chocolate aroma is consumed too much by the spice and fruit (plum) produced by the Belgian ale yeast.

Taste: The Belgian flavors completely overcome the stoutlike qualities. I also get a little sweet and sour contrast (like a Flanders Red) that I find unpleasant.

Drinkability: One is enough.

I love De Dolle.

So this is what happens when you Belgianize a stout. Some things are left better untouched.

I'll stick with the other beers.

dansteino, May 10, 2005