De Dolle Extra Export Stout - Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers

Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: stcules on 03-13-2004

3.62/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours nearly completely pitch black with a monsterous tan head. Be careful with the pour because if you pour too fast like I did, you will have to wait a few minutes for the head to die down just to finish pouring the rest of the bottle into the glass. First go around, I got 1/3 beer and 2/3 head. Aroma consists of dark fruits, chocolate and cookie dough. The aroma definately lets you know this brew is Belgian. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated. Way too much carbonation in my opinion negatively affecting the appearance and mouthfeel. Taste is chocolatey, nutty and roasty. Alcohol is definately present. Overall, an interesting brew but not worth the $4.59 price tag to purchase again.

3.12/5  rDev -19.8%

Damn! Are you sure there is only 9% ABV in this stuff?

Poured into the glass a murky milk chocolate brown color.The head was a finger of short-lived camel colored foam. Yeast sediment worked it's way to the bottom. Lace was suprisingly light for the style.

Smell was milky, chocolate, toasty malt, yeast and overt peppery
ethyl alcohol.

Taste was alcohol soaked dark fruits, dates and figs, an underlying smokiness, spicy notes and a bittering finish.

Began with a creamy mouthfeel that became more liquor like as it warmed. Moderate carbonation. Medium bodied.

The flavors are not strong enough on their own to mask the alcohol. I would have enjoyed this alot more if the intensity of the flavors could be kicked up a few notches or the alcohol was toned down a bit.
I don't normally have a problem with the higher ABVs as long as they are done properly.

3.62/5  rDev -6.9%

$4.49/11.2 oz bottle at Merchants. 9% ABV. Pours out to a cloudy dark brown, forming a semi-creamy soapy tan head with very good retention and solid sheets of lacing. Carbonation is moderately strong. The aroma begins with alcohol, followed by raisins and prunes, browning apples, black cherries, belgian funk. The mouthfeel is spritzy and explosive on the tongue with a medium-dense body and long semi-dry finish. Taste begins with sweet dark fruits, followed by a very noticeable peppery blast of alcohol, and ending in damp earth and tobacco. As a matter of fact, the entire finish is tobacco. My mouth feels as thought I just smoked a cigar. There is a very distinct, yet subtle whiff of smoked malt right before the finish. On an empty stomach, I'm already feeling this 1/3 of a bottle into it. The drinkability isn't so hot. I much prefer Oer or Ara over this. Mild fusels, moderate isopropyls and acetone. Somewhat oxidized, dank and musty. A somewhat sweeter, darker version of what I drank yerterday, Prior 8.

Overall, I'd have to pass on this one again. What is the deal with the shitty luck I've been having with Belgians lately? I guess when you're used to drinking tasty, fresh stuff from New Belgium, Avery, Goose Island, and Unibroue it changes your expectations. It may be a bold statement, but this beer cements my opinion that North American brewers have surpassed Belgium, from where I live and what I can drink.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

Dark brown with chestnut highlights at the edges. Topped with mounds of puffy sand-colored foam. Malty sweet. Sugary and sweet taste and scent, like brown sugar. Tart and tangy fruit. Very Belgian. Lots of raisins and plums. Don't seem to notice hops over the sweet malts and bouquet of fruit. Good carbonation and mouthfeel. Drinkable for 9% but the sweetness is a little much for me.

Does not taste like any stout that I know. Has stout-like characteristics but is very Belgian (trippel? quad? quint?). Not my style, but a nice change.

4.4/5  rDev +13.1%

Not realizing the head potential on this beer, I up and poured this a little too aggressively. I then had to sit and watch the head that took up about two thirds of my tulip slowly decay and fall back into the glass. Just for fun, I gave it another hard pour only to have a billowing mushroom cap blossom over my tulip without leaving so much as a streak running down the side. This was fun in its own right. The beer itself looks a ridiculously dark cola color that is nearly black at a glance. The voluminous and persistent head was a sandy tan color that left behind some sagging clumps of lace.

Smells like there’s a big sweet and gooey stout hiding in the background, but on top there’s a dry nutty oakiness that really balances things out a bit. A further inspection reveals a nip of alcohol, a tootsie roll and Hershey’s chocolate sweetness, a dash of hoisin sauce and a sour, under ripe strawberry. I’m also getting some garden flower fragrance in this one too. The spectrum of sweet to dry smells in this beer is nothing short of amazing.

The spectrum is there in the flavor as well except that the oakiness dominates and brings with it a charcoal ashiness coupled with a subtle, tasty alcohol. Again, the big stout character is hiding in the background with red grapes, prunes, hoisin and a hint of chocolate. Finishes with a strong emphasis on the ash with perhaps a splash of coffee. This one lacks balance, or isn’t balanced in favor of my palate. It’s still an admirable blend of flavors though.

The mouth feel is thin, but creamy with a small carbonation that really thickens this up to almost pudding stature without being foamy and obnoxious. Very nice.

I really liked this one. The ash/coffee in the flavor is the only thing keeping me from absolutely loving this beer. Too bad.

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

Appears a dark brownish black with a 3 finger tan head that slowly fades out. Plenty of streaked lacing left around the glass.
Smell is of Belgian yeasty goodness, roasted nuts, cocoa, molasses, raisins, caramel, coffee tinged with anise and rolled oats.
Taste is of the same aromas. Very complex and appealing.
Mouthfeel is mildly sweet, full bodied with chocolate and coffee richness with pumped up carbonation levels that fade out into a smooth, complex ride.

This one actually reminds me of something I just brewed not too long ago...a Belgian Bourbon Oak Imperial Milk Stout without the bourbon, lactose, and oak of course. Looking this up, I found many similarities, in fact, including many of the same malts used, close to the same OG, even used some Nugget hops in the aromatics that came about a total of 53 IBU's(calculated). I used the Westmalle strain that John at John Harvard's Wayne gave me. I did use over a pound of lactose though in mine and they used candi sugar. Many similarities by my own estimation without knowing much about this one until now.

4.8/5  rDev +23.4%

This beer was purchased at the Dilly Deli for $3.99. The beer was served in a imperial pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a dead black coloration. The beer has no opaquesness to light. The head is a burnt tan with a orange hue. The head was massive and had major retention. Rings and rings of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: The beer is loaded with darkly roasted malts. The malts are no where near burnt. The beer has a very vinous quality to the smell. The beer has a plum or date fruityness. The dark semisweet chocolateyness in the smell combines with dark roasted coffee. The beer has a bit of smokeyness. The beer has very active belgian yeast and sugars playing in the smell. The beer has spicy alcohol joining in the smell. Other random spices noted in the flavor include vanilla, licorice, pepperyness, oak.

Taste: I really dig the flavor profile here. The beer has major wine qualities. The beer is a very nicely roasted malt bomb. The malts are not even near burned. The beer has a nice semi sweet chocolate and dark roasted coffee flavors. The beer is fruity sweet with dates and plums. The beer has a hint of vanilla. The beer has a spicy combo of belgian yeast and peppery coriander perhaps. The alcohol is very well incorporated as spicyness in the beer. The beer has a very nice smooth malty finish. Dam this is a really great tasting beer.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer is full bodied, but not unto the point of chewyness. The beer has a bit more carbonation than normal for export stouts. The beer is a pure delight to drink. It is all I can do to stop myself from drinking the other bottle in my cellar. This is a beer that will make frequent stays in my pint glass. Who would have thought that a Belgian stout would be like this? The Mad Brewers of course would make such a stout.

3.86/5  rDev -0.8%

Perhaps the only point this beer will score low on is appearance. For the style, it is apt...black body with a dark tan head. But that head...I poured what I thought was a quarter of a glass to start with. Nope...all foam. I let it set for a bit...little good that did. Poured again...its like pouring coca cola over ice. Pour it painfully slow or the head will explode. Bottle conditioned or not, this is the most ridiculous head I've seen on a stout, especially a FES, which tend to have very little head.

That aside, this is an excellent stout. Strong roasted malt smell with a plum essence. Winey hints, very little hops. Hints of coffee, bitter chocolate and...christmas cake?..plum pudding? A winter beer, maybe...wish I had grabbed two and cellared one.

Roasted malt taste with a hint of...grape juice? Dark roast coffee, bitter chocolate. A hint of sweetness to it. No hops evident. I think I detect some candy sugar in there...less dominant and more tame than a tripel. As "stout" as this is, there definite Belgian tripel elements to it.

A tad bit too high on the carbonation, more reflective of a Belgian than a stout. Other than that, the explosive head aside, this is a very well done beer and a nice stout overall.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

The question that GCBrewing asked me was, "Have you ever tried a Belgian Stout?" Since I had not, he considered it time that I did. And I'm glad he did.

This beer poured a dark chocolate brown with ruby hints and a very nice tan head. A nice looking beer, but already a good indication that this is not the usual American or English stout.

Aroma was fruity first, then the roasted malts came through. Intriguing.

Taste is complex, with maltiness and fruitiness almost in balance. High effervesence accentuates the flavor. It also makes the beer seem lighter in body and masks the 9% alcohol.

Overall a very drinkable beer. A fun beer to taste and one I'd recommend trying.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle. A very interesting concept to me, a Belgian export stout!!!

Appearance- Pours a good light tan head with good filmy retention. Colro is a White Hen house coffee black.

Smell- BLACK licorice with some roasted and/or partially smoked malts which endow some coffee notes.

Taste- Licorice and cinnamon hit first. With a follow-up of coffe and chocolate.

Mouthfeel- This is a stout with a tripel amount of carbonation. Lots of bubbles helped ,me feel this beers qualities on my tongue.

This beer is an English style done with a Belgian flair. Cool interpretation of this style.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Appearance – The head on this beer is massive! It isn’t explosive like an HOTD, but it comes out super thick and is parked on top of the pretty light black liquid. You instinctively know that it is an absolute waste of time to wait for this head to go down.

Smell – The light darkish malts are well-roasted but not burnt. The balancing brown sugars are equally mellow, though not wimpy in the least. Everything about this bouquet is very pleasing to the nose.

Taste – The sugars come on more at the taste, probably due to the age, and the malts are a bit lighter but still wonderfully balanced. They are mildly roasted; not overpowering but not “faded”.

Mouthfeel – This is medium-bodied with a little malty bitterness in back of the tongue.

Drinkability – This is an amazing beer. The big flavors are so sessionable it’s hard to believe. Everything is rightly balanced and incredibly smooth.

Comments – I cellared this 2004 vintage in just-right conditions and boy oh boy did that pay off. Two years down was perfect for this stout.

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into goblet expecting something special. I read reviews before buying and expected the hard-to-pour head others spoke of. Maybe I proured too tentavely expecting an explosion but mine looked like a freshly served diet Pepsi. Hmmm. However, there was a fair amount of effervesence after the pour. There was certainly some head associated with this beer but it was quickly gone.

Aromas of roasted malts, bitter chocolates and a faint hoppy scent. Definitely what would be expected. After warming slightly there were hints of alcohol.

With the relatively high ABV I was expecting a heavier stout but surprisingly, the body is light. Roasted malts, dark chocolates, hints of hops and smoke round out the flavors. The alcohol presence was not noticable until this brew had a chance to warm slightly. After warming there were flavors like the finish of a good Speyside scotch. Peaty and smoky flavors that I was not expecting.

A unique stout that is highly drinkable. I believe that the bottle I purchased may have been on the shelf for a while. Given my intital impressions, I will certainly look for another.

4.14/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured this into my oversized goblet & good grief, I've never seen a head this huge on a high ABV stout. It's -- no joke – two-thirds of the goblet and a good two inches tall. Massive fluffy toasted marshmallow bubbles cover this black hole of a beer. I held this up to a light and absolutely nothing showed... I can, however see a great deal of yeasty sediment in the bottom of the bottle, and can assume that lots made it into the beer.

5 minutes after pouring the head is still sitting pretty strong... most impressive. Leaves nice lacing down the glass. Incredible for a stout. (The head lasted the duration of the beer, 40 minutes or so.)

De Dolle stout has a very sharp malt nose with evident alcohol (whisky...), cocoa, and a real tannic quality. Somewhat medicinal and sweet.

Flavor really stands out. This De Dolle is deliciously warming and…I suppose sharp would be the best word. Again, it reminds me of a whisky, all the flavors immediately hit, then mellow out in the mouth. I taste bitter dark cocoa, espresso, alcohol, an oaky, woodsy flavor, the tannic grape that was present in the smell, and general roasted malt sweetness. Wonderfully complex.

Mouthfeel is superbly warming and creamy. Finishes bittersweet and mildly dry. And warm. Yum.

I can't say I'd want more than one of these. It's quite filling and pleasant to drink as a nightcap, but one is fine for an evening.

Why O Why don't they sell sixers of this at Wal-mart? Wish I had bought more than one, because I’d love to introduce this to my friends. This is one great alcoholic stout and one to look for. Thanks to Mike Brawley for convincing me to try this one!

4.71/5  rDev +21.1%

Wow Nelly, what a beer. This brew has a monster head: good lord the head is so thick and huge you could use it as the foundation of a house. IS this a milk shake? It looks absolutely beautiful in a a pint glass-exceptional. The smell is of roasted malts. The taste is very nice, roasted malts with a gentle bitterness. At such a high alcohol level, it is amazing that there is no alcohol tatse what so ever. A clean and pleasing mouthfeel. A very highly drinkable brew. Without a doubt, I have found a new best friend. Search for this ale and enjoy!

4.2/5  rDev +8%

A - this stout pours dark, as to be expected, although eye level reveals a reddish tint at the edges, it wells up a huge rocky head, dark tan, and 3 fingers thick, it craters as it diminished, moderate carbonation visible, rare for a stout

S - the chocolate aroma hit me during the pour, a whiff reveals a chocolate and coffee aroma, typical for a stout, there is also a fruity hint, like raspberries

T - a soft fruity chocolate taste up front, again like raspberries, than BAM! coffee bitterness hits you Emeril style, very tasty and balanced

M - very nice, it is smooth and balanced on the palate

D - high, very tasty and easy to throw back, a good stout

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

grand head caused some pouring problems. very dark. retention was not fantastic, but it left some nice lace going down

funky hop aroma/flavor: blackcurrant. very belgian aroma, slightly winey. slight coffee taste, very roasted flavors mingle with some tart fruits

it's fun to see how the belgians do stouts, just as, i'm sure, they think it's fun to see how we do americans. very complex with all the roasted malt flavors as well as esters and hop contributions

3.85/5  rDev -1%

Very dark brown, chestnut highlights. It poured with a big, fluffy, tan head that fell quickly, but left a bit of clumpy lace behind. Chocolatey, lightly roasted aroma, a bit bready. Sweet, roasty, milk chocolate, with moderate bitterness and fruit. A bit acidic and salty in the finish, some spice as well. Some alcohol warmth as well. Creamy texture, full body, and a bit dry from the roasted barley. An interesting stout. Thanks HogTownHarry!

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

11.2 oz bottle.
Pours a deep brown with a huge tan head. Retention is impressive and eventually leaves a very fine lacing as the head recedes.
Smell is fruity essences, anise, roasted malts. This is slightly vinious for a stout, but I'll bite. Also a slightly smoky in aroma, which is interesting.
Taste is chocolatey with a slight burnt character which leaves that same smoky character which works much better in the taste than it does in aroma. Not nearly as fruity as I thought it would be as the malts and spices (anise and cinnimon particularly) overshadow the fruitiness.
Mouthfeel is full, but still has a bit of a belgian flair to it which is nice.
Overall, a very interesting and quite enjoyable take on a stout by one of my favorite belgian brewers. Defintelty worth a try.

3.79/5  rDev -2.6%

A truely different beer in the Stout Style. Pours out similar to a Dr. Pepper. Thin blackness produces a thin head of tan foam. High level of carbonation for this style. No lace. Aromas of sweet malts, chocolate, grain, berries, cinnamon and pepper. Amazing. Great aroma. Taste, not so wonderful. High carbonation attacks the tongue, and flavors of berries, sweet chocolate malts and thin husk flavors fill the mouth. Alcohol becomes present and provides a warming note. Carmel and coffee hints linger in the background. Definite belgian yeast character as well. Would be much better if it weren't so sweet. Mouthfeel was overly bubbly and excited; lacked real depth and thickness, but was interesting and playfully enjoyable. Drinkability is average. A cross between a carbonated soft drink and a stout. Unique. Worth a try.

4.37/5  rDev +12.3%

Regular stout pour. Deep dark ruby with a nearly uncontrolable brown stout head that rises and rises and touches the sky.

Very strong roasted malt odor, sweet and deep. Burnt sugar, plums, coffee beans, pepper and bread dough. Very nice.

The taste is like a big guy who walks into your office and slams your head into your desk and demands you give him his money back. Never mind that you don't know who he is or what he is talking about--all that's for sure is that he means business. Smoky wood aged taste. Bourbon and cognac hit you up front, moving into sweet fruit yeast that's so sweet it starts getting bitter, growing steadily until the end, when you're saved by the less bitter finish of dark chocolate.

I think De Dolle might be my favorite Belgian brewery.

4.27/5  rDev +9.8%

Whoa...pour this sucker slow! Each one I've had, including this, has been dying to get out of the bottle. Anything but a snail-paced pour will result in too much head. But underneath that tan creaminess you get a serious black body that means business. Obviously the carbonation is healthy. Left a heck of a sediment mud-splotch on the bottom of the bottle.

Interesting aroma: plenty of hops, as if you're smelling the actual cone itself, with a peculiar fruitiness I can't pinpoint but it's sweet and seems like it'll come off tart in the tasting. Coffee essence is there, also, as is a lot of fresh-baked dark bread.

Wow, unusual flavor. Gotta give credit for injecting its own character into the style. Good bitterness up front, with a colorful fruit sizzle, almost grapefruit-like in its tartness. Lots of roast, and some carbonized dark chocolate in there to keep you guessing. Off the beaten path.

Mouthfeel is super-foamy and super-tingly...a little too much maybe, it inhibits the wild flavors a bit.

Would not recommend this to stout purists, but this is a fun one, with as much character as any other big stout--but different from most others too. Looking forward to next time.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

11.2 ouncer sampled, pours with a HUGE dark tan head, puffy, fluffy and showing good retention, slowly calming down to a 1/4 inch head and leaving gobs of thick and textured lacing. Unusual and nice looking stuff. Exotic nose of chocolate, yeast, vanilla and tropical fruits. Strong stout, hints of alcohol, citrus (!?!), chocolate, cocoa, smokey tropical fruits. Complex, interesting artisinal creation. Looking foward to trying more selections from De Dolle.

3.46/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a deep, rich brown, topped with a mountainous mass of taupe foam. Loose beading on the head. Good clarity, the head maintaining a finger's worth all the way to the bottom, no doubt fed by the angry carbonation. Great brussels lace. Earthy aroma. Sweetish mocha-like malt, with notes of sherry, cardboard, nutmeg, walnut and chocolate chip cookie. Fruity esters and plastic-like phenols. Some noticable alcohol. Kinda oxodized and wierd. I wasn't expecting anything in particular, but this is surprising. Interesting, but I'm non-plussed thusfar. Starts out sweet and earthy, a pleasant enough mocha maltiness starting things off. Tingly, charged carbonation, the kind that develops in old beer. My bottle was stored well, so what gives? Rather fruity and nutty, lots of plum and juicy cherry, with a drying walnut/pecan presence. Definite sherry aged qualities. Earthy and quite phenolic in the finish, clovey and plastic, maintaining a sticky sweetness. A high alcohol paint thinner feel, finishing cookie-ish and boozy, with a bit of funkiness akin to splitting a mouldering tree trunk rotting on the forest floor. Coupled with the hyperactive carbonation, this is quite odd. Effervescent and hot with alcohol. Nearly warms the entire digestive tract. No real hops, maybe a smidge of floral spiciness.
Very sweet and wierd, there's no way I could drink more than one. There's a lot going on, but not all of it I enjoy. Seems kind of twitchy, like the flavors change too quickly. Strange brew.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours out dark black with a pillow of creamy tan head that leaves huge sheets of lace and fades very slowly. Great to look at.

Smell is sweet, roasted malts, kind of funky and yeasty, with a light European hop aroma. Some alcohol in there as well.

Taste is big and sweet, with a solid alcohol punch on top of a roasted barley flavor. Dark fruits and dark chocolates abound, and the mouthfeel is well-carbonated and just a tad biting with some spice.

Overall: A pricey stout, but an interesting one that's definitely worth finding to try.

3.6/5  rDev -7.5%

This bottled beer served at room temperature, probably about 70F. pours excessive head, nose is harsh and yeasty. I have had this somewhat cooler before and liked it a lot, so hopefully the bark is not worse than the bite tonight. This bottle was bought cold from a frig with flourescent lighting.

This is one bitter stout. front end of taste is very bitter and more than a little sour, then melts into a pleasant but strong roast malt taste with hints of roasted coffee or unsweetened chocolate. At this temperature the 9% alcohol is invisble. The aftertaste is dry and roasted bitterness, clearly a stout of belgian origin. Reminds me some of Hercule.

Further into the glass some fruitty sweet notes start to be mixed in with the roastfest. It definitely mellows with some time in air. Still a very dry stout.

Why am I reviewing stouts at room temperature? mainly because i am away from home and the hotel has a very cold mini-fridge as my other option, but also because I believe a good stout will do well at warmer temperatures, possibly better than at 50F.

De Dolle Extra Export Stout from Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers