De Dolle Boskeun - Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers

Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Todd on 10-23-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of De Dolle Boskeun Alström Bros
Ratings: 455 | Reviews: 269

A: four fingers of sea foam atop a hazy strawberry blond

S: it's a dead ringer for cran-apple juice, Fig Newtons, hints of lambic vinegar in the background

T: it tastes exactly a Fig Newton with strawberry preserves and biscuity malt, for me De Dolle's signature profile. I'm from the South their beers remind me of my momma's homemade biscuits with a healthy serving of homemade strawberry preserves.

M: Silky, velvety, creamyDe Dolle is the master of mouthfeel, I've never had anything like their beers.

O: This brewery is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries anywhere in the world.

A- always love their label art, especially this drunken bunny sitting next to a lily of the valley which happens to be a symbol of the second coming. Very clever for Easter. A large duvel sized tulip is necessary to hold the massive bubbly eggshell colored head on this rascal. At 10% abv, I can't believe the foam has this type of retention and I'm getting impatient waiting for it to settle. The golden orange apricot body has some small particles of yeast floating about. This bottle is 2 years old.

S- flowery and grapey, most notably the sweet solvent aroma of muscat and scuppernong and the similarities are astounding. Grape and apricot jam spread on shortbread or pound cake define the malt sweetness, and there are still more fruity aromas of apple, pear, orange and plum. An absolutely phenomenal stank.

T- malty and sweet, not as fruity as the aroma would suggest, with a distinct earthy English hop flavor. Melon and pear with a soft muscat flavor intermingle with a fine vanilla sugar sauce and green, vinous "forest" notes, grain husk, and mushroom. Alcohol is masterfully hidden save for a small bite in the finish, and the beer gets drier and more tart as the glass empties. Seasoned dry wood and orange blossom honey last into the finish as well, further attempting to conceal the alcohol, which I now feel in my head and belly.

MF- expansive, medicinal and drying, this one leaves a coated feeling on the cheeks with a bit of powdery yeast. Alcohol heat is not felt in the mouth, rather it makes a delayed presence in the chest just to prove it's there. Crazy soft bottle conditioned carbonation has no beginning or ending and never becomes sharp or stinging.

D- what a great beer. Like many; 've always considered Duvel to be the archetype, but this yeasty monster rabbit surpasses what I consider to be 'standard' by taking the aroma to a whole nother level. Like an outer space level. Clean, defined flavors overlayed by muddy earthy funky yeast make for a beautiful marriage that no other BSPA I've had so far has achieved.

A - When poured carefully into a belgian-style tulip with plenty of headspace, it required me several breaks before I could finish the full pour. Head is dense and white, and retention is crazy. Color is just a touch darker than a Westmalle Tripel.
S - Lovely sweet, fruity aroma, with a touch of alcohol (it is 10% ABV, after all.)
T - A very well balanced flavor, with almost any individual aspect difficult to pick out. A fruitiness halfway between apple and bubblegum, a kiss of malt and sugar, and a very dry (though not persistently so) finish.
M - Very effervescent, with the interplay of the dryness and the carbonation leaving a bit of a lingering sensation on the tongue, and even a bit going down. I suppose part of it is the alcohol as well.
O - This beer strikes a lovely balance, with just enough bitterness and dryness on the finish, while leaving just a wisp behind that invites another sip, maybe too soon. This is a dangerously drinkable, while still rich, strong beer.

4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Presentation: Familiar looking De Dolle label paints rather than adorns the front of my 12 ounce brown glass bottle. Overall presentation is of a beer that is not that serious, given the cartoon of a bucktoothed Easter Bunny enjoying a brew. Yet this is a very serious beer, sadly there is no listed strength or freshness date from what I could tell. The latter is a criminal shame because this really needs to be imbibed fresh, why couldn’t B.United (the importers) insist on the freshness date onto the US label?

Appearance: Fantastic, having drunk gallons of this stuff during 11 consecutive Easter visits to Belgium; I know this is a fresh sample. Why, because there are no chunks or floaties, always a sign of a Bos Keun past its best or one that has been abused. Fresh, the body is completely clear, except for a body of racing streamers that crash into the silky smooth white cap on the surface. Deep gold at the base, light and a curved glass give the appearance of a dark orange hue underneath the fantastic looking head that has excellent longevity. Lacing is inviting whilst the conditioning level is perfect. Only the final pour after a swirl dislodges the engrained yeast at the base, but is a fine suspension with no chunks thankfully.

Nose: Tripel-tastic deep spicy hops, honey and alcohol. A very identifiable nose for a rather unique Easter brew.

Taste: Spiced hops and a fresh warming alcohol rush the palate. Some sweet honey gives the middle a rich and thick feel. Some bitterness and a strong fruity ending that is slightly sweet & dry. I recall that there are some strange ingredients in this one, a quick check of Tim Webb’s Belgium Bible reveals Mauritian Cane Sugar and Mexican Honey, whatever - it works!

Mouthfeel: Solid warming brew that has a light body with a big massive kick. Fine carbonation assists in smoothing the alcohol whilst the light body balances the big spicy hops.

Drinkability: Immensely drinkable, for 7% it has a kick, but the awesome looks, fantastic nose; great flavor profile, wholesome yet soft mouthfeel and superb conditioning all combine to make this quite the beer induce a “pass out” for Passover.

Overall: First sampled at the Brugs Beertje during my inaugural Easter Trip to Belgium in 1994. It was recommended to us by Jan De Bruyne and it arrived in a huge 1.5 litre bottle for our Table of six. A memorable occasion and one when I realized that there was much more to life than English Cask Ale.

This is a fresh example, you can tell by the impressively clean label and appearance, that and the fact that the guy running the beer store where I picked this up, told me it had arrived only days earlier. Sadly, there is no freshness date on the label, a seriously big draw-back for me, because this can be a wretched offering when aged poorly, it is by far at its very best for me when fresh, as this sample was. Sadly the lack of a freshness date on the bottle means that if the bottle looks old, tired or dusty – my advice would be to avoid it.

This was my first ever true Easter beer, and for my money, this is still one of the greatest that I have ever had. No wonder Jesus came back from the dead at Easter if this was available. Well worth the coin – but a word of warning, avoid the aged samples and get it fresh to get the best from this one!!

4.84/5  rDev +16.1%

The smell and flavour of this brew do it for me, big fruity esters with a sweet pale malt base. Has hints of almonds and mango with a warming alcohol. I know it is their spring beer but this is one that could be aged a year or perhaps more and still gain in complexity.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Gloriously large and substantial head rises on the careful pour into my Maudite goblet. Stubborn, diva-like retention. The head falls, eventually, leaving some nice foamy patches of lace on the glass. Body is grainy gold. Smell: stark, musty sourness upfront, a good thing; followed by an aged bleu cheese yeast funk that has a nice texture to it, not at all unpleasant; the finish is a cotton-candy sweetness riding out over the top. Taste: complex sweetness upfront (cherries, brown sugar), with an underbelly of toasted pecans, sourdough bread; the middle is a strong punch of funky yeast, really nice, peppery and moldy (this is a good thing, trust me); the finish, much like the nose, goes back to a sharp sweetness that rides out over the top of the depth of complex flavors. Spicy, dry aftertaste. Lovely. Mouthfeel: creamy, very carbonated which is a good thing as it helps zip up the strong flavor in a nice, tight mouth-package. Wonderful brew. Glad I found a bottle, purchased at the North Coast Co-op in Arcata, California -- looks to be about a 12 ounce bottle. Love the buck-toothed rabbit on the label. Typically quirky Belgian packaging, always gives me a pang of strange delight.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

A - Pours a very hazy brownish orange. Head is almost bone white with great retention and loverly lacing. Very appealing and inviting.

S - Fruity! Blueberry, orange, spicy clove, black pepper, passion fruit. Nice floral hints too. Awesome.

T - Tangy fruit that goes hand in hand with creamy caramel, very nice. Slight bitter hop bite in the finish, warming alcohol in my chest as well. Put this on the balance beam if you want a gold medal.

M - Fills your mouth, then finishes to where it just lingers between sips. Perfect.

D - I dont think I could get tired of this, definitely my stranded on a desert island beer.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

33 cl bottle poured into Unibroue tulip. A bizzare brown rabbit adorns the bottle and he appears to be high or drunk (Boskeun in hand I presume?). As expected, the bottle slowly gushed forth before the pour. Can't locate bottle date, I think it wore off the cap. Head retains for quite a while, it looks soft, I'd like to take a nap on its pillowey bubbles. Aroma is bursting out of the tulip as the head reduces. Smells like peaches, a little funk, and a slight alcohol burn. The mouthfeel stands out on this one as the flavors coat the tongue front to back. Certainly doesn't taste at all like a 10% ABV, a testament to how well the flavors are melded together. The flavors are all over the map and they seem to be changing as the temperature of the beer warms. Fruit sweetness mixes with funk to create a delicious treat. Paired well with a deep fried blue cheese ball.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Wonderful, another classic from De Dolle! This beer poured a wonderful hazy orange, yellow-ish peach-y colour with a nice sized head to it(though nothing compared to the head on an ara bier:-) This smelled intoxicating. Like tropical fruits, lucious mangos, pineapples, and apples. This tasted like more of the same. Sweet and fruity yet rough and refined at the same time. This reminded me of more of a double wit beer than a artisianal pale ale, but that just me. Have a Don De Dieu from Unibroue or a Vuuve and search out the similarities. This beer also has a nice bitter afteertaste, which is very herbal in nature and is long lasting as well....Nice! The mouthfeel on this is classic bottle-conditioned and the drinkability is superb. Why oh Why is this only a spring seasonal beer?
Cheers again, De Dolle!
F.

PS: attn: northeastern PA BAs. If you want to try this and some other De Dolle beers, the Steelgaarden in Bethlehem has this and some of their other beers in stock...

4.74/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

APPEARANCE - Clear yellow, with a 5-finger light brown head that lasts. Some lacing.

SMELL/AROMA/SCENT - Sweet, hoppy, herbaceous.

TASTE - Nice bitter ale taste. Hoppy, piney, dry, malty, herbaceous. ABV a bit hidden

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - Light, with the most carbonation I've ever experienced in an ale at this ABV level.

VALUE - $10. - About average for a Belgian at a bar.

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - Nice ale, very drinkable, not boozy at all.

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a tulip- pours a slightly hazy golden orange color with of course a beautiful 3 finger head, which disappeared to a thin layer with no lacing.

Smells sweet and spicy-candi sugar, cinnamon, earthy Belgisn yeast and a little booze.

Tastes incredible- sweet golden malts and candi sugar, followed by a a temperate dose of yeast and noticeable alcohol burn that recedes into a beautifully long finish of malt, candi sugar and a little spice.

Mouthfeel is of course superb- medium liight body with full prickly carbonation and only mild alcohol burn. Perky but not overpowering. Newcomers to De Dolle might not enjoy this but I love it.

Pairs well with a delicious pizza with marinated steak and Gorgonzola.

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured a hazy deep yellowish color. Quickly filled the glass with a head, tight lacing that lasted a while.
Pouring released a strong aroma of a mix of malt, citrus, brown sugar, and peach.
Taste is a definite 5.0, taste like liquid candy in my mouth. As it moved across my tong distinguishing flavors of sweet, slightly sour, fruits, and malts where individually present.
Mouthfeel was full of bubbles, I am not a normally a fan of lots of carbonation but it caused the flavors to explode. The lacing carried over to mouthfeel tingling my nose.
Extremely drinkable for being 10% alcohol content. The flavors, carbonation, and lacing of the head made for a enjoyable experience.

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

The cute demented bunny on the label knows what's in store when you pour this beauty into a snifter. A cloudy dull golden color works under a dense white head that holds strong throughout the enjoyment of this. I detected an aroma of sweet citrus and slight hint of what I could only describe as "wool". This introduced itself to me with a highly carbonated fruity and tart upfront and center mouthfeel that continues into a fizzy explosion of flavor and fizzy berry aftertaste. Delicious, refreshing, and a great compliment to Moules & Frietjes. Can't wait to drink this again...

4.67/5  rDev +12%

11.6 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip. I had a weird, almost clairvoyant feeling as I was opening this that it was going to explode. Well, freakishly enough, it did, but not enough so I couldn't save 90-95% of it by slowly getting it into the glass and wiping off the outside, and it seems to have not suffered too much. In the past I've let them bubble over my fingers like a fountain when a Belgian does that, thinking it a hopeless cause. Not anymore. So here we go, and maybe it was some kind of temperature or mishandling issues, because if the bottle seemed "bad" I wouldn't be reviewing it and would snag another one.

Appearance: Hazy darker copper with beautiful yeast floaties. I love the latter, so I'm biased, as I know others need total clarity or want total clarity usually. Head's obviously massive because of the formerly discussed explosions, but settles down, leaving a ring or two of clumpy lacing with some sparse bigger dots.

Smell: Lots of heady fruit and yeast round this out, with tons of flavors. Pineapple, aromatic roses and other fresh flowers, citrus, along with some sharper earthy phenolics. Also some vanilla flavors and sweeter malt flavors. There's so much involved here. And when I keep going back I'm getting a different sense of effervescent perfume and field of flowers. Like a woman just walked into the door and disappeared.

Taste: Fruity and yeasty, like the aromas, and heady as hell. I feel like every time I pour a new bit into the glass there are some things that change. Tons of ripe tropical fruit, everything from pineapple, mango, starfruit, along with some ripe strawberries and sour cherries. Sweeter vanilla a custard-like malt flavors also creep in. When it comes to the finish, the bitterness and sourness from the hops make themselves apparent, along with mild earthy phenolics. The finish is huge and long and complex as hell. I may need to buy more to lay down. I think I have to.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a great creaminess, which surprised me for the style, with tingly carbonation at the end, another oddity which adds a weird kind of balance to everything.

Drinkability: For around $5 a bottle, like most of De Dolle, or at least that's what I pay for them, you know you're getting your money's worth. This one's big, at actually 10% and not the 7% that it says (Can there please be a BA that does ABV fixing on the side? More and more I'm finding incorrect numbers...) currently above, and the alcohol isn't as prominent as one may figure. All of the Belgian points of interest are there in spades, and I'd love to see how these are years and years down the road, as they're probably always changing with the yeast being such a huge part, usually floating around just with a light bump. Glad I bought this and will jump at another chance to have another of their brews. Is it me, or does sipping on a good Belgian not make the air you breathe around you start to become more aromatic? Craziness galore.

4.66/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy gold with an enormous 3” moussey offwhite foam collar that mounds up over the top of the glass like a meringue. It persists and leaves a mound of foam in the finished glass.
S: Spicy citrus with hints of fruit cake.
T: This is a yeast driven beer featuring spices, citrus, fruit, caramel, fruit cake, alcohol and a little cidery wine character. Big hops on the finish provide some balance.
M: Highly carbonated, luxurious, creamy, moussey.
O: An enormous beer with a suprising amount of balance.

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Note: reviewed yesterday for Easter, but I had trouble uploading the review.

A 330ml bottle with no obvious BB date. Picked up a couple of days ago from my local beer specialist - just in time for Easter. The child-like drawing on the label is amusing.

Poured into a Duvel tulip. A hazy golden-amber hue with strong carbonation. Produces an enormous head of white foam with a meringue-like consistency and great retention; this eventually subsides to a surface layer. The aroma is sweet & intense - almost cloyingly fruity. Notes of white grapes, melon, apples, almonds, banana, faint citrus, yeast and a spicy hint of alcohol.

Tastes of sweet, fruity yeast esters with a dry, alcoholic finish. Notes of apples, grapes, melon, citrus, marzipan, sugar, mild banana and dry yeast. Background hints of stewed hops, and a hot, spicy alcoholic note upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth, dry and tingly, with great body. Highly astringent - dries the palate. Aftertaste of dry, fruity yeast esters.

Impressive - an incredible array of fruity notes accompany this beer. Strong and well-balanced, with a range of flavours that is both subtle and complex. It's difficult to compare this to anything else I've tried - it's unique. Not a brew for everyday quaffing, but well worth trying if you come across it.

4.64/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one was opened at celler temp so it was foaming and disturbing the yeast sediment thus causing it to mix within the beer. Every De Dolle I open does this so I think next one I will chill in fridge prior to opening. Nice puffy head that laces the glass after it is gone. Tart aroma with a champagne quality. Some candy and spicey taste with honey sweetness. Awesome complex yeast flavor like I get from all of their beers. A full mouthfeel with a very dry finish. Exactly how I want a belgian ale to taste. Yum.

4.63/5  rDev +11%

This is an older bottle of Bos Keun, being made last spring, but looking at some other reviews, it seems not to have gone bad or anything. Pours a honey gold with a huge, fine-bubbled head that is absolutely tenacious. I started drinking this, put it down to eat dinner, and came back to it and the head was still there. The smell of this beer is very sweet: honey, dusty chocolate, and hops compete with a musty character. The taste is quite sweet but not cloyingly so. It's initially fruity, but then the honey comes out, and the flavor ends with a dual honey sweetness and malt bitterness. Very interesting flavors here. Mouthfeel is fairly creamy and frothy with carbonation.

Overall, an excellent, fascinating beer. It's got complexity in the nose and in the palate, and the interest piqued by those elements, combined with the tasty flavors, makes me want more of this. Yum.

4.63/5  rDev +11%

Pale, thick, and densely clouded peachy yellowed and lightly bronzed color with a large thickly placed white foam crown of crystalized melted marshmellow, mega lacing in sheets of thin styrofoam and strings with snow sparkling edges. Gorgeous snifter full of ale!

Aroma is chalked full of sweet yet dulled citrusy fruits of lemon and banana with a nice grab of pleasing yeast spice thats a bit peppery with touches of leafy fresh hops, some sugared candies, bubblegummy things and even some cocoa arrives very late underneath once it warms. A wonderfully calm and fruity nose with a sensible warming complexity.

Taste has a smooth calm fruity brigade up front lending a leveled and easy dulled lemon, candy sugar laced tropical citrus, melon juiced, banana fluffed trifold with mellow caramel, then it turns to yeast peppered things and candied sugars mixing, giving all sorts of little complexing give and takes. Finishes quite spicy with lingering left overs melding underneath of some of the malted caramel and tropical fruits. Intricately woven and well put together and crafted with care. I like the milder spicy tones, yet it has just enough zing and pep to keep it on edge and very interesting to undertake.

Feel is nearly full with a fluffy texturing within most of its carbonation, a nice spicy twinge and mild hop flesh maintains in the finish and comes across pretty darn smooth and even creamy at times, front mostly there. Overall a fine, fine ale. One I'd drink again and again with no problem. A very nice drinker eh. T'was gone in no time.

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours clear amber with over an inch of fluffy white head. Reduces gradually, leaving stringy, soapy lacing.

S-Grassy, slightly citric hops. melon, pale malt sweetness.

T/M-Earthy, slighty funky yeast delivered by vibrant, chewy carbonation. Grassy hops, come in mid-palate, cutting the mild malty sweetness and finishing the beer with a light burst of cracked black pepper.

O-This beer is a great example of what makes De Dolle so unique. Stands apart from almost every other Belgian Pale ale.

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: In Oerbier tulip

Appearance: Cloudy orange with ample head with good lacing

Smell: Tropical fruit, sugar sweetness, almonds and earthy.

Taste: First noticed pale malt sweetness and carbonation. Medium body smooth creamy texture. This is followed by astringent dryness and citrus hop flavors. Some sweetness in the finish.

Notes: Served from bottle at Cafe Bruges in Carlisle PA. Been on lookout for this brew since first reading about it on the beer of the day calendar about three years past. Worth the wait for Belgium pale ale lovers.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured at around 50 degrees into a Bruery tulip. I poured it as gently as I could and I still had WAY too much head. It is super airy light head that created a rocky topping. Small yeasty bits float around too despite my careful pour. The body is a nice murky yellow/orange sun color. The head is toothpaste commercial white. Retention is incredible and lacing is pretty crazy. A lot to look at, kind of over the top on the appearance.

Good complexity in the aroma, pear, apple, light bready malt, candi sugar, pineapple, and herbs. Black pepper, funk and horse wrap things up into a great package.

A lot of the same components are available in the flavor profile. Full access to pear, apple, pineapple, mango, and other various indescript tropical fruits. There's a nice juicy sauvignon blanc type green grape character here too. Some underlying sweetness in the form of some sweet-pastry like bread. Slight tartness and funk follow and a yeasty, earthy, peppery, herbal kick finish off this incredibly complex beer.

The mouthfeel is also quite good. I expected the carbonation levels would be too high after the insane pour, but it just matched the rest of the beer well and wasn't too poppy in my mouth. Feels "bright" and lively. Finishes dry, but not overly so. Consistency is medium and spot on.

I can't believe how well this drinks, no negative flavors can be attributed to alcohol presence and it's actually somewhat refreshing, very hard to believe it's a 10% beer. I actually didn't expect too much out of this one for whatever reason and was very pleasantly surprised, I'm going to have to pick up more. Good work De Dolle!

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

I've enjoyed every beer I've ever tasted from De Dolle Brouwers. Bos Keun is no exception.

Many things about this beer echo characteristics of some of my favorite saisons. And first of these is the appearance. Into a Hoegaarden Speciale snifter it pours a cloudy peachy golden orange with an abrupt and lively, yet short-lived off-white head. It leaves fuzzy patchy lace. A little lighter than Saison Dupont and without the long lasting head.

Then the aromas have a tart earthy saison funk up front, followed by a burst of apples and oranges and a hint of turkish taffy.

The taste is tart fruit and sweet, subtly toasty malt flavors. A bit of caramel, then a dry and tart, flowery, herbal finish. The malt returns at the tail end, coating the back of your tongue.

The mouthfeel is creamy with that active stealthy carbonation, with a substantial, but not heavy, silky body.

Beautiful beer, drinkable by itself, or paired with spicy food or seafood.

4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Wow, this is one of those beers you thank God He made Belgium. Just two weeks ago I was at Oktoberfest and drunk very good German beers. But how good is a Belgian beer!
Wonderful in appearance, orange to copper in colour with terrific head. Fruity aroma you can smell forever, slightly sweet in taste with the best amount of carbonation I've ever tried in my life, a web of goodness all over my mouth. Medium to full body and a slightly bitter after taste complete the job.
A brew with alcohol at 10.00 % ABV that does not deceive taste and mind.
Awesome.

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

330 ml, bottled Feb. 2010, into Karmeliet glass.
Although the brewery classifies it as an Easter brew the beer is basically a golden strong ale perfectly matching the requirements of the style.
Pours clear, effervescent golden body with rocky, long lived white head producing thick, bubbly laces on the walls. The bouquet of aromas is tremendously complex: Fruity esters of citruses, pear verging on banana, spicy & peppery phenolics, candy, honey and unintrusive alcohol. The intensely flavored taste corresponds to the aromas; finish is dry and pleasantly bitter. The nearly medium bodied beer is lively carbonated, frisky like a rabbit on the label.

In short: a characterful beer that abounds with fruity flavors and spicy nature.

De Dolle Boskeun from Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers