De Dolle Oerbier - Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers

De Dolle OerbierDe Dolle Oerbier

Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of De Dolle Oerbier Alström Bros
Ratings: 861 | Reviews: 455

One of my all time favorite beers. Just getting around to reviewing it. We can only get this at my store every once in awhile, and so when it comes in, I make sure to open one right away.

A- Pours a deep ruby color with a porous, light tan head that dissolves into large bubbles and quickly disappears, leaving minimal, soapy lacing.

S-Bready malts, saltwater taffy, those gummy fruit slice candies, a touch of cherry. Beautiful.

T/M-Sweet malts, musty basement funk, and candi sugar are the most prominent flavors. As I sip, flavors of lightly tart cherry and wood slip through, though they are a very minor component here. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with light, playful carbonation.

D-This beer's so Goddamn amazing. When I haven't had it for awhile I think maybe it won't live up to my memories of it, but it always does. It's a Belgian classic.

Thanks to XicanoBeerRun for sharing this one.

Bottled February 2011. Drank in February 2012. One year old.
This pours a ruddy brown color with tight lacing and thick, tiny bubbles. It has a velvety appearance because of this. Looks fantastic.

Incredible aroma, tart and sour. Some lacto, perhaps, and hints of tannic notes.

Tastes fantastic. The effervescence coats the mouth and the tart, sharp flavors linger for days. The malt gives it some sweetness to contrast with the sour notes. Warms well, with an apparent alcohol warmth to it at 9%. This is an excellent beer.

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

The beer poured deep amber brown with a slight haze in the chalice. The head was off white and fell slowly in fine bubble fashion to the edges of the surface to eventually coat the glass.

The aroma was complex with malty sourness, toffee and a spicy complexity. The aroma was filled with fruitiness as well.

The flavor was as promised with a caramel maltiness balanced with a slight spice and a complexity of an oud bruin sourness mixed in. Fruitiness, cherries most notably, shined through in the flavor.

The finish was dry with caramel, fruit flavors and a slight complex sour flavor lasting through the aftertaste. The body was medium.

11.2 ounce bottle. This is a beer that intrigues me and has been a longtime favorite. I think it is one of the most complex and interesting beers on the planet and rated it as such.

4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

I love this beer. It's pretty ridiculous how much I love this beer. I firmly believe that you could sip this beer for hours and still not quite pick up everything it has to offer.

The color is intriguing. The nose, alluring. The taste, amazing.

When I sip this beer, it wraps me up like a warm blanket. Everything is going to be all right. The American economy? Just take another sip. My girlfriend is pissed at me again? The chubby little yellow Oerbier dude would never be angry at me. Is someone trying to break into my house? That's fine. Just let me keep my Oerbier.

Seriously, though. There is so much going on here it's crazy. Dark candy sugar, yes, so it's sweet, but not too sweet. It's more dry than anything. There is only a slight hop bitterness, but I don't have time to dwell on that. It's all coming at me too fast. Dark fruits, sweet malt, a wonderfully subtle tartness, and, oh right, there's the booze.

This is definitely a sipper, but I don't know why you'd be in any rush to finish it.

God, I love this beer.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

Presentation: 11.6 oz slender brown bottle with no freshness date found. Cute ,though in an odd way a little bit demented, yellow oerbier mascot on the front label. Oerbier means "Original Beer".

Appearance: Deep tawny brown colour with amber hues, creamy tiny bubbled lace to boot … seems to stick around for the duration without a problem.

Smell: Granny smith apples and tart berries in the nose, almost a sweet tart vinous (lemon) aroma with grain and earthy hops in the back. Alcohol is apparent with hints of pine spiciness and liquorice.

Taste: Silky smooth beyond belief, slick creamy mouth feel that glides over the tongue with perfection. Fullish body cradles the delicate malt mass, sweetness from the malt is soft yet dominant with a mild clinging tart almost winey flavour on its back. Fruitiness with a liking to ripe blood oranges and earthy currants meld well with the wine like tartness. Hops are veiled though a touch of leaf and mint is noticeable. Malt flavour seems to hold a vague similarity to a tangy raw honey and a chicory finish. Some residuals are leftover in the end with a touch of grassy medicinal phenolic.

Notes: Certainly one of the better beers to come out of Belgium though it is definitely one of the best beers in the world. Lively with the vinous flavours, fruity and sweet with a beefy yet a fragile malt … hops are lucid and are to flavour the brew. A marvelous brew.

My oh my this beer brought me to my knees, last had this one in a beer bar in Brussels called La Porte Noire (sp?) which is located in an 1800's brick cellar. Nice to see that we can get it in the states now.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours a deep, dense brown with a massive beige head that dissipates slowly leaving a frothy cap.

Malt, fruit and spice to the nose.

Taste is truly exceptional. Sweet malt with a tart bite; well balanced and so delectable.

Great carbonation, so refreshing. Smooth and relatively light feeling.

Great drinkability, I think I need a case of this. One of the best brews of this style that I've tried in a while.

4.92/5  rDev +17.4%

Undated 11.3oz poured into a tulip.

Reddish mahogany under a huge head of light tan. Strong retention and thick lace.

Dark fruits in a musty cellar with a bit of citrus zest, some spices, bubblegum, and a little warm alcohol. I love the funky fruity sugary mix going on here. The yeast and malt aromas are fucking awesome!

Again, the taste carries the fruit, funk, and sugar profiles, yet the alcohol is absent. I can taste cheeries, melons, tangelos, refined sugar and a little chalk. The funky sweet and sour mix is top notch.

Medium to almost full mouth is a little puckering and that works out nicely with the taste. This is one of the best beers I've had in a while and my only regret is not buying more.

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours out a very dark brown with a hint of red. Head is good size that seems to last and tan in color. Smell is wonderful and almost exactly what I expected. Sour malt with something a bit metallic coming through. Overall, it seems malty sweet.

The taste is unbelievably smooth but complex. The sour that I mentioned is there but only for a bit. Then you get the hops followed by the chocolate and malt. The alcohol is almost not present and well hidden. Also some notes of nutmeg and spices. I can't believe how complex this is. A long finishing beer that needs to be sipped and enjoyed. Just amazing and as close to perfection as it gets for me. It keeps on changing as it warms. Relax and enjoy.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

A: caramel brown, thick Belgian style head

S: raspberry jam and vinegar

T: like a malty raspberry jam, sweet caramely grain, Fruit Roll-Ups, the slightest bit of sourness.

M: definitely the highlight of the whole experience, this is probably the smoothest beer I have ever had creamy, silky body

O: they've an expert job of crafting a Belgian ale with just the right amount of sourness to counterbalance the sweet malt. It's really exceptional, I've never had anything like it. One of my all time favorites.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from 11.2 ounce bottle, temp. 40 degrees, to open ale chalice

A) Amber/dark amber. Light barely passes through this cloudy, swampy beer soup. Lots of suspended yeast & floaties. White foam discipates to white/tan lacing that lasts and lasts

S) Tantalizing sweet & sour mash. This is Belgian ale with ginger bread, raisins and cocoa

T) Delicious Belgian strong ale. You can barely taste the alcohol, but you'll know it's strong in about 3 minutes... Root beer sweet, dark fruit, licorice & orangey citrus

M) Effervescent fizz & thick

D) Pour one or more, this one is spectacular

Oerbier is a rare, exceptional hand crafted product, and in my humble opinion, one of the best Belgians available in America. If I find these, I buy the entire inventory as one never knows when you'll find them again -- why risk it?

4.87/5  rDev +16.2%

This is one of the best. If you haven't tried this, do.

For me, the aroma is the best part. Deep and layered aromas of fruits--raisin, plum, fig. The aroma also has a biscuit quality that really invites you to consume this hearty and satisfying beverage.

Given the aroma, the taste is not as over-the-top as you might expect. It's complex, but not sweet. Pairs excellently with food or on its own. It held up nicely against some very rich bacon and sweet potato fries I was having at the time.

The mouthfeel is a bit dry due to heavy carbonation. This makes the beer go down very easily but I would advise to let this beer settle a bit before finishing.

This is one of those beers I would call "digestible." It looks, smells, tastes, and feels wonderful. After finishing I am perfectly satisfied.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

12 oz. brown bottle. Red label with a wierd little yellow bubble man holding a bier.

Murky brown color. Supercharged huge foamy, rich biege head. To say the head laced nicely is an understatement. Rich combination of smell and tastes including rum soaked cherries, mocha chocolate malty sweetness, brandy and alcohol. Subtle hints fof carmel and vanillas faintly pass your taste buds. Syrupy sweet candy finish may be it's only negative trait. Smooth feel to the point of melting into your stomach. Delivers a rich belly warming alcohol pop as well.
The best belgian beer I have had. A beer worth searching for.

My highest compliment......Magic in a glass !

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

Nice slender bottle with polka dot bowtie. Freshness date found on cap.

Pours a 2 finger head with small bubbles, light tan in color, with good retention but little lacing. The liquid is dark chestnut, with red tinge around the edges of the glass.

The smell is subdued, with notes of hazelnuts, grass, and floral hops.

The taste rolls over my palate in waves. Upfront there is a rich maltiness, with strong molassas and caramel tastes. There is some nuttyness and a touch of spiciness from the hops. The finish hints at a touch of sourness, a bit cidery or like fresh apples. The afterfinish (?) is a bready, biscuty flavor with a touch of hop bitterness.

The mouthfeel is full, and complements the taste perfectly.

Amazing stuff.

4.84/5  rDev +15.5%

Another awesome beer from De Dolle! What can I say..I simply love this brewery. This beer explodes with some great carbonation as I pour it into my westvleteren chalice. This beer pours a nice dark murky brown colour with a nice sized huge off-white/tannish head. The aromas of this beer are incredible. Aromas of red wine, grapes, oak, cork, alcohol, spices, fruits, and desserts dance upon your nostrils as you breathe in the fumes of this beer. The magic continues as you take your first sip, the foam caught marvellously on the tip of your nose and the front of your tongue. The liquid sliding down your throat, oh-so-smoothly. This beer makes me want to wax poetic. The taste is incredibly complex and hard to label(like most De dolle brews are)but to me this beer resembles Westvleteren 8 in colour, aroma, taste and texture. This is a very chewy beer that you almost need a fork to drink and the mouthfeel is very thick, cream and luscious. Yes, I like this beer. For me the drinkability on this is great as well, only ticked 1 notch because of its high alcohol content that can render you unconscience if you do not pay attention to how much of this holy nectar you imbibe.
This beer may not be a belgian 'trappist' beer but it is certianly just as good if not better than most of the trappists.
A true classic and another gem from De Dolle!
Cheers!,
F.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

330ml, bottled in december 2010

A- Clear/chocolate brown in colour. Head is beige, not so big but incredibly thick and shows awesome retention throughout the very last sips

S- Awesome. Aroma is strongly vinous with a sour character to it, yet it is perfectly balanced by the malt sweetness. Alcohol is detectable and brings some spiciness that has the aroma feeling more lively. Yeast (and maybe even hops) also show up to bring a moderate and perfectly in place earthy feel

T- The aroma was promising, the taste is no letdown. Malts on the sweet side with raisin and figs, yet also some stoutish background notes (liquorice, chocolate); a slight sour vinous taste gives this beer a wonderful "aged" feel, even if it's only 5 months old. Hops are not just bringing balance, with a moderate grassy character that adds to the mix; I'm also getting some hints of lemon on the tongue if i'm not wrong. Yeast is also in the mix with an earthy background feel. This is an amazing load of perfectly balanced flavours

M- Is this the smoothest beer i ever tried? A rich and yet delicate body that feels incredibly soft on both tongue and palate with an everlasting creamy feel from the head. Carbonation is moderate but you don't need much in such a beer.

O- Amazingly complex and yet perfectly balanced. You'd just want more and more. If i must find a flaw with this beer i'd say that yeast has it feeling a bit heavy in the very last sips

4.82/5  rDev +15%

Pours a translucent russet color into my glass, with a large, fizzy, 'soda head' it recedes quite a bit but in general the beer seems to be staying carbonated constantly. There are no visible sediment grains. The aroma on this one is fantastic, like decadent baked goods. Sweet bready malts, raisins, tart black cherry, and caramel are all coming out. Taste: All of the aspects of the aroma are coming through as well as slight bitterness, earthiness, and Belgian yeast complimenting everything nicely. The finish is very complex tasting - can't quite put my finger on this new quality it introduces to the overall flavor and why it's so good. Mouthfeel - wow, I really like how this works - the beer coats and sticks to the mouth providing a pleasant tingling sensation, possibly due to the high alcohol content. Overall this is one of my favorite Belgian beers. It's odd that in my area it's not available at many places.... it belongs right next to the classics such as Delirium, Trappist beers, and so forth. Pick this up if you see it, as well as other De Dolle brews.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

I have had this beer many times over the years including many different vintages. This review is from a relatively new bottle (2008?)poured into a tulip glass.

Redish brown in color. Very light puffy head. Head does not last long and minimal lacing. Veru distinct color. Quite a contrast between the darkish beer and the light colored head. I like the way this beer looks.

Great nose. Smells of dried fruits are tempered by something different... a slight funky smell.

I love the taste of this beer. Perfect balance of the sweet malts but yet slightly lactic and sour. All of the great components of a great old ale and a great Flemish sour red. Everything I am looking for in a beer!

It is a relatively high ABV which would limit the total number of these I could have without getting wasted but this is extremely drinkable and very thirst quenching.

This is truly a world classic. One of my favorite all time beers. Consistantly good.
This review is for a fresh bottle but some of the vintage bottles I have had have been even better. This ages with the best of them. God forbid that you get your hands on a bottle of this with the old yeast that De Dolle used back in the 1990's. I had a very old bottle in Belgium with the old yeast that could have ruined all further beers for me. It was that good.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Wow, is this a great beer. Now granted, this was my first exposure to Belgian beer, but it sure won’t be the last. It produced massive amounts of a tan head on the pour, even with a slow pour at a 45’ angle. Dark fruit to the nose and a rich nutty flavor that completly hides the 9% alcohol. This beer tasted great right from the refrigerator and as it warmed to cellar temperature. The alcohol warmth only came it as it neared room temperature. It did not strike me as all that tart, as many have noted. One of my favorite beers to date.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

11.2 oz bottle, ordered in a shipment of many of its friends & cousins. The strange mascot, looking like a cross between the "Jeep" from Popeye and the Stay-Puff marshmellow man from Ghostbusters makes the bottle look cheesy and creepy at the same time. I do like the bowtie wrapper above the label, though. I feel the beer has dressed to impress. It pours a ruddy brown with a very thick, active, rocky tan head that oh so slowly works its way down. Daddy like. The smell is oranges, cinnamon, leather, raisins, and a surprisingly light flowery note. Holy guacamole. Good God. The taste doesn't dissapoint. It starts fruity and almost sweet, quickly fading to a chalky spice, nutmeg and cloves. A surprising coffee roast makes a brief appearance before plums and raisins come finish the day, but as sweet as you expect those flavors to be, they are dry and crisp. I REALLY have to stretch to find any room for improvement here. A touch sweeter and it would be heaven. OK, heaven plus, with it being merely heavn as it is. The mouthfeel is chewy, slick, and feather soft. The drinkability is beyond reproach. This one masks the alcohol really well, leaving you foolishly thinking you can make a session of our new-found friend, JeepPuff. This is why I need to move to Belgium. If you find this beer, hoard it.

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured from a 11.6 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Made about 2 inches of beautiful foamy head on top, with fine bubbles tracking up through the dark woodstain brown looking beer.

The nose is complex esters, malt and yeast, giving an impression of freshly lacquered wood (especially given the color).

The taste is sweet but not in any way cloying since an excellent balance of bitter and sour keep it together. Tastes like baked apples, spices and malts with a hint of yeast and hops. Very excellent beer.

The mouthfeel is really smooth with all of the small bubbles coursing through. The high level of carbonation is probably what keeps this from being sticky, while the high amount of sweetness provides an excellent viscosity.

It's an excellently drinkable beer for a 9 percenter that is really thick.

Highly recommend.

Tasted from 11.6 oz. bottle on 6/16/04

Appearance: Slightly hazy, deep brown/red coulor with a off white almost tan head that is thick and rocky and follows the beer to the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Sweet caramel malt, with subtle nuances of prune, burnt caramel, orange marmalade.

Taste: Wowsers! The flavors meld together so well that trying to distinguish them is almost like picking apart a tight weave. Sour cherry, prune, candied orange, vanilla, allspice and black pepper, earth. Finishes long but clean.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy, with a satisfying dryness.

Drinkability: Even as this beer warms there is no hint of the alcohol. An excellent beer for food pairing.

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a goblet. No date available on the bottle.

Pours a deep rusted ruby color with a nice off white head that dissipates slowly. Visible lacing around the glass, as well as somewhat decent head retention.

Smells of bready malts, beautiful belgian yeast, and stale dry hops. Really nice nose on this beer.

Tastes amazing! Great malt flavor with a well balanced hop profile to round out the sweetness. Sweet enough to be characteristic of the style but to too overwhelming.

Feels prickly on the palate that rounds out and finishes smooth. Super drinkable for a 9% abv beer. Can definitely sneak up on you.

Overall one of the best belgian Strong ales I have ever had. Picked up 4 bottles of this and will age the other three to drink over the next few years.

Cheers!

4.77/5  rDev +13.8%

I poured this one from an 11.6oz skinny brown bottle into my St. Bernardus chalice glass.

A= This ale poured a deep cloudy brown color with a slight reddish hint to it as well. The light tan head poured a massive sudsy 2" and slowly settled to a dense and creamy 1/4" cap.

S= Complex aromas of raisins, apples, brown sugar, molasses, and a rich dark fruit tartness. Some of this likely came from the malts but I think a hell of a lot of the aroma was from the yeast. To say the least, this yeast was magic.

T= This ale showed an incredible range of flavors similar to the aroma profile: sweet malts, candi sugar, molasses, tart fruits, and a hard to describe but wonderful figgy spice character that was simply sublime. Alcohol was well hidden.

MF= Medium body with a very crisp carbonation level.

D= This is a world class beer deserved of immense respect. The malts are just right and the yeast is incredible. Despite the abv and huge flavors, this remains a very drinable ale as well. Highly recommended.

4.77/5  rDev +13.8%

Another classic from Belgium's "mad brewers."

Perhaps it was because it was a rocky walk home, but when I opened this it wanted to do the geyser thing, so i quickly poured it.

Deep brown, with the typical de dolle haze a nice trail of yeast fell into the glass with the last little bit.

Nose is rich with Belgian spice and sweet dried fruits, similar to the nose of a good double style beer.

Amazing and very unique flavor. Goes down without a hint of the alcohol, unlike dulle teve where I think some of the charm comes from the warm alcohol, this one is almost thirst quenching. It is very rich in flavor dates, toasted walnuts and corriander. Candied malts and subtle hop balance. Delicious. Different than doubles or other Belgian DSA's. If you aren't sure on the first sip, keep going. It's worth it.

Like other De Dolle beers I've had, this one has a pleasantly full mouth feel. That leaves a little coat on your tongue.

Drinks like a session. Dangerous. Smoother than the Grotten Brown, but with much richer flavor.

4.76/5  rDev +13.6%

My wife pan fried some filet mignons for supper tonight. She deglazed the cast iron pan with marsala then added butter and garlic and let the resultant sauce reduce. I had a Terrible chilling but then I noticed she'd made a spinach salad with tomatoes, avocados, kalamata olives, green pepper, celery and feta cheese. On top of that she prepared a mustard vinaigrette and served that with the salad. I thought the Terrible might not go with the salad so I pulled out an Oerbier from De Dolle.

Sometimes a beer is best alone and other times a pairing with food is best. The Oerbier poured a translucent molasses color and raised a head of very small bubbles which settled into what looked like a cream floating on top of the beer . It looked like the crema on top of an espresso.

The aroma of the beer was somewhat overshadowed by the food. It offered a slight spicy wine smell. The taste was amazing. It paired with the filet and the marsala sauce. It cleansed my palette and then afterward paired with all the components of the salad.

The pairing was dead on. It was a marriage. The slight tartness of the beer slipped into a spicy sweetness. It's complexity danced around the food and respected all of it. I will add to my stock of this beer. It is one of the best beers I've had. It is very drinkable and a remarkable food beer.

De Dolle Oerbier from Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers