1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

De Dolle Oerbier - Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers

De Dolle OerbierDe Dolle Oerbier

Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of De Dolle Oerbier Alström Bros

Thanks to XicanoBeerRun for sharing this one.

Bottled February 2011. Drank in February 2012. One year old.
This pours a ruddy brown color with tight lacing and thick, tiny bubbles. It has a velvety appearance because of this. Looks fantastic.

Incredible aroma, tart and sour. Some lacto, perhaps, and hints of tannic notes.

Tastes fantastic. The effervescence coats the mouth and the tart, sharp flavors linger for days. The malt gives it some sweetness to contrast with the sour notes. Warms well, with an apparent alcohol warmth to it at 9%. This is an excellent beer.

elNopalero, Feb 13, 2012

Rochefort10nh, Nov 25, 2011

TrickkyGangsta, Dec 05, 2011

tykechandler, Jun 19, 2014
4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

The beer poured deep amber brown with a slight haze in the chalice. The head was off white and fell slowly in fine bubble fashion to the edges of the surface to eventually coat the glass.

The aroma was complex with malty sourness, toffee and a spicy complexity. The aroma was filled with fruitiness as well.

The flavor was as promised with a caramel maltiness balanced with a slight spice and a complexity of an oud bruin sourness mixed in. Fruitiness, cherries most notably, shined through in the flavor.

The finish was dry with caramel, fruit flavors and a slight complex sour flavor lasting through the aftertaste. The body was medium.

11.2 ounce bottle. This is a beer that intrigues me and has been a longtime favorite. I think it is one of the most complex and interesting beers on the planet and rated it as such.

GCBrewingCo, Aug 20, 2004
4.95/5  rDev +18.1%

I love this beer. It's pretty ridiculous how much I love this beer. I firmly believe that you could sip this beer for hours and still not quite pick up everything it has to offer.

The color is intriguing. The nose, alluring. The taste, amazing.

When I sip this beer, it wraps me up like a warm blanket. Everything is going to be all right. The American economy? Just take another sip. My girlfriend is pissed at me again? The chubby little yellow Oerbier dude would never be angry at me. Is someone trying to break into my house? That's fine. Just let me keep my Oerbier.

Seriously, though. There is so much going on here it's crazy. Dark candy sugar, yes, so it's sweet, but not too sweet. It's more dry than anything. There is only a slight hop bitterness, but I don't have time to dwell on that. It's all coming at me too fast. Dark fruits, sweet malt, a wonderfully subtle tartness, and, oh right, there's the booze.

This is definitely a sipper, but I don't know why you'd be in any rush to finish it.

God, I love this beer.

moosejaw7, Sep 07, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

Presentation: 11.6 oz slender brown bottle with no freshness date found. Cute ,though in an odd way a little bit demented, yellow oerbier mascot on the front label. Oerbier means "Original Beer".

Appearance: Deep tawny brown colour with amber hues, creamy tiny bubbled lace to boot … seems to stick around for the duration without a problem.

Smell: Granny smith apples and tart berries in the nose, almost a sweet tart vinous (lemon) aroma with grain and earthy hops in the back. Alcohol is apparent with hints of pine spiciness and liquorice.

Taste: Silky smooth beyond belief, slick creamy mouth feel that glides over the tongue with perfection. Fullish body cradles the delicate malt mass, sweetness from the malt is soft yet dominant with a mild clinging tart almost winey flavour on its back. Fruitiness with a liking to ripe blood oranges and earthy currants meld well with the wine like tartness. Hops are veiled though a touch of leaf and mint is noticeable. Malt flavour seems to hold a vague similarity to a tangy raw honey and a chicory finish. Some residuals are leftover in the end with a touch of grassy medicinal phenolic.

Notes: Certainly one of the better beers to come out of Belgium though it is definitely one of the best beers in the world. Lively with the vinous flavours, fruity and sweet with a beefy yet a fragile malt … hops are lucid and are to flavour the brew. A marvelous brew.

My oh my this beer brought me to my knees, last had this one in a beer bar in Brussels called La Porte Noire (sp?) which is located in an 1800's brick cellar. Nice to see that we can get it in the states now.

Jason, Oct 19, 2001
4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

Pours a deep, dense brown with a massive beige head that dissipates slowly leaving a frothy cap.

Malt, fruit and spice to the nose.

Taste is truly exceptional. Sweet malt with a tart bite; well balanced and so delectable.

Great carbonation, so refreshing. Smooth and relatively light feeling.

Great drinkability, I think I need a case of this. One of the best brews of this style that I've tried in a while.

techdiver, May 02, 2007
4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

Undated 11.3oz poured into a tulip.

Reddish mahogany under a huge head of light tan. Strong retention and thick lace.

Dark fruits in a musty cellar with a bit of citrus zest, some spices, bubblegum, and a little warm alcohol. I love the funky fruity sugary mix going on here. The yeast and malt aromas are fucking awesome!

Again, the taste carries the fruit, funk, and sugar profiles, yet the alcohol is absent. I can taste cheeries, melons, tangelos, refined sugar and a little chalk. The funky sweet and sour mix is top notch.

Medium to almost full mouth is a little puckering and that works out nicely with the taste. This is one of the best beers I've had in a while and my only regret is not buying more.

ypsifly, Feb 28, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

A: caramel brown, thick Belgian style head

S: raspberry jam and vinegar

T: like a malty raspberry jam, sweet caramely grain, Fruit Roll-Ups, the slightest bit of sourness.

M: definitely the highlight of the whole experience, this is probably the smoothest beer I have ever had creamy, silky body

O: they've an expert job of crafting a Belgian ale with just the right amount of sourness to counterbalance the sweet malt. It's really exceptional, I've never had anything like it. One of my all time favorites.

nickhiller, Apr 10, 2011

Poured from 11.2 ounce bottle, temp. 40 degrees, to open ale chalice

A) Amber/dark amber. Light barely passes through this cloudy, swampy beer soup. Lots of suspended yeast & floaties. White foam discipates to white/tan lacing that lasts and lasts

S) Tantalizing sweet & sour mash. This is Belgian ale with ginger bread, raisins and cocoa

T) Delicious Belgian strong ale. You can barely taste the alcohol, but you'll know it's strong in about 3 minutes... Root beer sweet, dark fruit, licorice & orangey citrus

M) Effervescent fizz & thick

D) Pour one or more, this one is spectacular

Oerbier is a rare, exceptional hand crafted product, and in my humble opinion, one of the best Belgians available in America. If I find these, I buy the entire inventory as one never knows when you'll find them again -- why risk it?

bskrtz, Mar 12, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours out a very dark brown with a hint of red. Head is good size that seems to last and tan in color. Smell is wonderful and almost exactly what I expected. Sour malt with something a bit metallic coming through. Overall, it seems malty sweet.

The taste is unbelievably smooth but complex. The sour that I mentioned is there but only for a bit. Then you get the hops followed by the chocolate and malt. The alcohol is almost not present and well hidden. Also some notes of nutmeg and spices. I can't believe how complex this is. A long finishing beer that needs to be sipped and enjoyed. Just amazing and as close to perfection as it gets for me. It keeps on changing as it warms. Relax and enjoy.

CharlesRiver, Feb 16, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

This is one of the best. If you haven't tried this, do.

For me, the aroma is the best part. Deep and layered aromas of fruits--raisin, plum, fig. The aroma also has a biscuit quality that really invites you to consume this hearty and satisfying beverage.

Given the aroma, the taste is not as over-the-top as you might expect. It's complex, but not sweet. Pairs excellently with food or on its own. It held up nicely against some very rich bacon and sweet potato fries I was having at the time.

The mouthfeel is a bit dry due to heavy carbonation. This makes the beer go down very easily but I would advise to let this beer settle a bit before finishing.

This is one of those beers I would call "digestible." It looks, smells, tastes, and feels wonderful. After finishing I am perfectly satisfied.

adsomers, Oct 25, 2011