De Dolle Oerbier | Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2001

Reviews: 459 | Ratings: 936
4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Body is reddish brown with a thick one inch foamy head. Dissipates to a ring. Lacing is motile and does not stick to my clean glass.

Smells of roasted, toasty malt, raisins/prunes and other fruit, and vanilla.

Complex tastes of toasted malt, raisins and other fruit, vanilla, old wood, cola, and a a little copper. Just sweet enough, ends dry with a lightly tannic bitterness. Pretty delicious, a dry alternative to the many sweet Belgian dark ales out there.

Body is light to medium with a refreshing, crisply carbonated mouthfeel.

Overall, an excellent Belgian dark strong ale, complex, dry and delicious. The 9% alcohol is not noticeable, so beware.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Have this beer before the beer has you!
I had it, but never had the mother who gives the beer tour. I had the beer tour though. She did too. I won't go into too much detail about the beer itself, since you probably won't listen to me anyway. It's made from some serious raw materials and brewed up in a copper pot. It's not brewed by Oswald Cobblepot, because he doesn't know a damn thing about world-class beers. When you drink the beer, you will know what I'm talking about. I drank this beer when I had strep throat. When I woke up, no strep throat. The copper has healing powers. I put copper on everything. Some prefer hot sauce, but not me. I heal people, damn it.

Btw, the next time I watch a zombie movie and somebody yells ambush, their better be some amateur bush.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Enjoyed this bottle out of a Belgian tulip glass.

A: Pours a hazy dark amber hue with a huge, fizzy, white head. I actually had to pour this beer – wait 5 minutes for the head to recede and then repour the rest of it. There is a nice lace all the way down the glass and ends in a persistent foam layer.

S: Strong dark fruit aroma with hints of plums and grapes.

T: Starts out bitter leading to a sweet fruity malt middle with a Belgian yeast backbone.

M: Very strong and boozy. Thick body and high carbonation.

O: This is one of my favorite Strong Dark Belgian Ales. Bitter and Sweet compliment each other perfectly and leaves a great aftertaste.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

An darkamber beer, with a big slightly off white head that reduces to a 1.5 finger head. Rocky foam.

The smell is very intense, probably the bacteria at work here. Vineous and tart. Green apples, some citrus, white grapes, candy sugar, some dark fruits and caramel from the dark malts and a hint of alcohol. Smells very good!

It has a tart but fruity sweet flavour up front that is hard to explain. It has light dark fruits, maybe a hint of orange peel. This beer is also quite malty. Not much hops but they give it a slight earthiness in the aftertaste. Alcohol is slightly noticable.

The mouthfeel is good, smooth and medium carbonation.

Very tasty, try it out!

3.82/5  rDev -8%

Very pretty burnt sienna, reddish brown. Dark yet clear. Super intense head, despite the careful pour - had to take the dogs out to potty to finish the pour. Lacing just a little cotton lacing that falls pretty quick and leaves mostly nothing. Have some patience before you enjoy this one. The color alone makes this one pretty amazing looking though.

Not a huge punch of aromas here. Very mild dark fruit and candy sugar smells with a touch of Belgian yeast and alcohol. Disappointing.

Unfortunately, kind of like the smell - more mellow and basic than I expected, mostly given the super positive reviews and how many amazing BSDA's I've had. There's definitely some complexity going on here, for sure. But nowhere near the level I've come to expect for the style. Just a little sugary sweet dark fruit, some candy sugar, some earthy hop bitterness, and warm alcohol.

Thick and syrupy, sticks to your mouth - but nice and creamy too. Lightly carbonated, despite the endless head.

It was okay, but I was very disappointed considering the reviews. I'm wondering if maybe mine was just the wrong age (too old, too young)? I've had many of this style, and many great ones are at the top of my overall list, and this one didn't come anywhere near the complex greatness that my favorites have. Not bad, but certainly not great.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottled July 2011, into Chimay goblet. Celebrating the end of the brew day for my second batch, a hoppy floral saison. Did my first partial mash today! Anyways...

Gushes a bit as it opens, pours a deep ruby reddish brown with massive head that sticks around but almost no lacing.

Once it's fairly warm you get nutty roasted malt, tobacco, chocolate, dark fruit, red wine, and a little tart vinegar twang.

Really tart and muddled when it's cold, but opens up into a great mix of chocolate, nutty roast malt, red wine, tart vinegar-like twang, tobacco, caramel and candi sugar on the end with just enough heat to back up the depth of the malt and strong yeast.

Slightly thick and chewy, accentuates the heat well and lingers long enough on the palate to let you explore all of the layers of flavor.

Quite the experience, I was ready to pour it out at first because it was messy and strangely tart/metallic, but once it gets up to cellar temp it becomes a different beer. Indulgent and luxurious, warm and inviting. Will definitely be picking up more by De Dolle like everyone recommends!

3.61/5  rDev -13%

330 mL bottle poured into my new De Struise glass. Bottled February 2011.

Appearance - I popped the cap and watched as the foam slowly rose up the neck of the bottle. The pour foamed all the way to the top of my glass very quickly. Had to pour the rest into a secondary glass. Nearly eternal retention and, by the way, it looks like a Belgian dark.

Smell - Immediate vinous notes. Somewhat acidic. Fruits abound. I guess I'd call it cherry and something like plums. Boozy, too.

Taste - Again, slightly acidic, but not sour. The cherry flavor is more dramatic as well as the vinous character. The malt flavor is all fruit, save a shade of earthiness in the very end as the acidity dies down a bit. I say it dies down, but only after it peaks to something that I might even call sour.

Mouthfeel - Very highly carbonated and very dry. Like the yeast has been working since this was bottled. Maybe too much. So much carbonation and dryness that I'm missing some of the deeper flavors that I expected to find here.

Overall - I'm not quite sure what to think. I really wonder what it would taste like fresh, but I never see it down here. Next time I do, I'll pick it up and crack it open. I fear that age has just dried it out until it's nothing but yeast bi-products and the malt is having a difficult time shining through. I have to say, though, I'm still quite enjoying it, whatever it is.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Served from a 2012 bottle into a Chimay goblet.

A - Having learned my lesson from other De Dolle beers, I gave this one a very cautious pour at fridge temp, which still yielded 2 fingers of off-white head. Great retention, it kept a nice coating throughout. Color is a deep purplish-brown, but with the impressive head retention, this one is a beauty even though it leaves minimal lacing.

S - Mild nose of dark fruits - plum, raisin, fig. Definite caramel notes, with that slight sour back that De Dolle's yeast imparts to all of its beers. Smells good.

T - Same dark fruits as in the nose, perhaps a hint of cherries in there as well. A decent caramel maltiness backs it up, along with another note that I can't quite place - perhaps a candi sugar. Just the slightest hint of the trademark sour yeast notes, which seem to come through much more when the beer is cold, and much less after it has been allowed to warm. The taste only loses points because the yeast gives almost a metallic taste at fridge temp, where the yeast flavor dominates. This goes away as the beer warms.

M - The feel on this one is superb. The carb that is left after what is lost in the pour is a perfect amount. Likewise, the beer is just thick enough to coat, but not so thick as to be syrupy. The head adds a bit of creaminess to every sip that even further aids drinkability, and the beer leaves a very pleasant aftertaste of dark cherries. Absolutely nails it.

O - I've had the Reserva before having the base beer, and the Reserva seems to have much more of the yeasty sourness, which is largely lacking here. This is not a bad thing, as the beer itself has a lot going for it. The head retention adds a lot to both the appearance and mouthfeel, which definitely accentuates the overall experience. This beer is one I will look for in the future, another excellent offering from one of my favorite breweries.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled in 2011, poured into a wine glass. Dark brown pour, huge foamy head, takes some time to recede. Scents of brown sugar, whisky, malt, and an odd funkiness. Taste is quite different from the nose, suprisingly, notes of plum, light coffee, whisky, and oddly - carob, are most noticeable. It has a rather complex, slowly evolving mouthfeel. First are the sharp notes of whisky and dark fruit, then it quickly mellows into light coffee and carob. Well balanced mouthfeel, and thick but not too heavy with fine carbonation. The aftertaste lingers, where notes of roasted malt and minerals reveal themselves. I was really surprised by both this beers complexity and how much different the nose is from the taste. Highly recommended.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

From Bottleworks close to a year ago.

Appearance. Pours a very hazy, deep amber-brown with a big 3+ fingers of off-white head.

Smell. Brown sugar, funky wood, sour cherries and plums. Hmm, wasn't expecting a sour funky smell here.

Taste. Caramel, raisins, plums. There's a little funk here for sure, but not the tartness I got in the smell ...hardly any I should say. A little booze, but not in a negative overpowering way.

Mouthfeel. Medium-full body with medium+ fine carbonation.

Overall. Pretty nice beer for the style. I'd like to try a vintage bottle of this!

3.82/5  rDev -8%

A-dark reddish brown with a thick light tan head

S-caramel, pumpernickel. A hint of chlorine. Not great smelling.

T-comes in with an oddly sour taste of dark fruits and a faint taste of dark Belgian sugars. The after-taste has pumpernickel and bitter berries. At first the taste is a bit of a shock, but I think I'm warming up to it. It definitely a clean taste.

M-creamy medium carbonation with a creamy finish

O-I was really excited to try another de dolle beer, but this wasn't what I was expecting at all. It tastes nothing like any other BDSA I've had. It actually reminds me more of a red Flanders. It's pretty well done.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a mahogany with dark reddish highlights with an off-white head into a Teku glass. Rich smell of clove and yeast.

A bit chewy and spicy. Rich fruit flavors: dark cherry juice and dried plums predominate. There is a touch of a brown sugar and chocolate note, as well as a grassy aspect. A bit funky and tart. Tasty. The finish is dry but leaves a hint of "fruit juice" on the tongue. Medium-bodied, and is very drinkable for style. A fun, quality dark Belgian ale.

Would go great with a nice beef stew, perhaps made with a bottle of Oerbier. Yum.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

A

33cl into a tulip. Pours a crystal clear deep cola mahogany, light tan head recedes to a cap that retains, ok lacing.

Nice dark fruits that are about to rot dabbed with spices.

Strong vinous qualities, strong rapidly evolving phenolic backbone. An underlying quiet mustiness. Medium bodied mouth feel that feels thicker due to the active carbonation.
easy to imagine this turning tart
good example of a belgian brewer embracing phenols
wonderful at room temp
cheers
jd

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked up a bottle of De Dolle Oerbier this past week because I enjoyed De Dolle's "Stille Nacht" and wanted to try this Belgian Brewery's other options. In short, I like this beer more than Stille Nacht.

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. The pour was very nice, producing a head a little more than finger-width wide. The head itself is creamy in appearance, and produces a very fine lace along the side of the glass. The beer is very dark in color, but crisp as opposed to cloudy.

The aroma is pleasant with rich, malty notes. Taste is on par with the armonas; rich, malty, and a very nice (but not overpowering) reminder that, at 9.5% (the bottle says 9%), this is a "high-alcohol content" beer. My favorite part of this beer is the mouthfeel: very effervescent, reminding me of a beer like Orval.

Overall, if you come across this beer during your travels, give it a shot.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cap reads that this was bottled in January 2010.

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Cloudy chestnut that shows some dark cherry when held to the light, under big ol' Belgian head: cappuccino color, 4 fingers deep, glistening "celled" body, kind of looks like a Coke Icee, actually. Drops to a finger with a plateau in the center & leaves curtains of lacing.

Smells of sweet Concord grape juice, clove, a little pepper, orange peel, maybe some oxidized, papery/musty notes, a little apple.

Tastes like sweet Concord grape juice, cinnamon, apple juice, mild cocoa, some caramel, some bread crust. The booze is there, but it's mellow, like a wheat whiskey vs. a bourbon. Really nicely tied together, with a chill date kind of aftertaste. The sweet, fruity flavors really pop at the beginning - this is pretty delicious.

Full-bodied, changes textures from very smooth to more active & effervescent in my mouth, which is pretty cool. There's some warming from booze, but pleasant, not hot or overly drying. Very nice.

This is a winner, for sure. Nice interplay between chocolate & fruit, the alcohol level is really pleasing, right where it should be. Considering the last beer I had was a La Trappe Quad, I'm digging this a lot more. Maybe the age has something to do with it, but it's really even & smooth. Great stuff.

3.82/5  rDev -8%

Picked up a bottle of this at Hill Farmstead a few months ago. Bottled May 2010 on the cap and poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pour is well, almost infected sized head. Talking 5 finger discount here that took forever to slump down so I could pour the other half of the bottle. TONS of sediment glued to the bottom of the bottle thankfully does not come out. The pour is an almost crystal clear dark dark amber honey.

S - Super, super musty with green apples. Super musty, not getting much in the way of dark fruits just really dusty, musty cellar aromas and apples.

T - The taste is full of the cocoa and dark fruits, like cherries and figs, a complete derivation from the nose. Actually tastes a bit infected, getting an off metallic flavour with the old cherries.

M - Very low carb, kinda boozy. Pretty average.

O - Overall, disappointed with this one. Knew when I started to pour there was something not quite right with this. I assumed the age on this beer would be a good thing but I guess not. Really doesnt work for me.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

I was very impressed with this beer, finding it to be one of the best Belgian offerings I’ve had in quite a long time. The reviews and rating had me expecting something good but it still took me by surprise a bit. The pour was somewhat cloudy, brown, and murky, with a small khaki head and some decent lacing. Overly aggressive pouring may have resulted in too many yeasty floaties but it still looked pretty nice; not as dark as one might expect; the head while small and fast-fading, nonetheless settled down to a creamy band that lay on top for the duration.

Aroma was very chocolatey; I first detected cocoa powder, then emerging yeast notes, wood, dark fruits, and spices. In the taste, the cocoa/chocolate flavor was a bit more subdued and integrated with the other flavors; figs, prunes, and raisins, estery yeast notes, light spiciness, a touch of oak, and just a hint of pleasantly warming alcohol underneath. Complex and very tasty.

The body was medium and the carbonation was medium-high, with a creaminess to the mouthfeel that was excellent. The bubbliness gave this beer life and the smooth creaminess rounded the feel out and prevented it from getting at all prickly. A top-notch beer all around. I’m looking forward to trying the Arabier next!

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Bottled marked OCT 2011.

A: Pours a cloudy brown in color with some highlights of mahogany and garnet. The beer pours with a three finger tall fizzy beige head that quickly reduces to a thick film with a thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Light lacing is observed.

S: This beer has aromas of dark fruit (cherries dominate but also hints of plum and raisin), spices, and yeast. There are some subtle hints of alcohol present as well as a very slight hint of oak/wood.

T: This beer starts out with some malt sweetness but quickly the flavor is overtaken by the dark fruit. There is a pretty heavy presence of cherries along with some plum and raisin. There is a light amount of spice in the finish. Nice complexity.

M: Medium bodied with heavy (effervescent) amounts of carbonation. Gets smoother as the beer warms up.

O: Due to the complexities in the smell and the taste, this is probably a better sipping beer than session beer - and the higher ABV does not really lend to making this a session beer. There is a light presence of alcohol in the smell and taste, especially as it warms up. This is the second time I have tried this beer and I think it is a really good one.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

330ml bottle. Oversized glass. Enjoyed on apr´12. Dark brown in color. Beige froth, lasting creamy & foamy crown. Intense floral fragancy, wet grass & heather aromas. Vinous with caramel malt hues. Pleasant flavor, spicy, sweet/sour, peppery with a warming ABV sensation. Full body, moderate carbonation. Sweet malty finish. Flavorful for a paused drinking moment.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours a translucent russet color into my glass, with a large, fizzy, 'soda head' it recedes quite a bit but in general the beer seems to be staying carbonated constantly. There are no visible sediment grains. The aroma on this one is fantastic, like decadent baked goods. Sweet bready malts, raisins, tart black cherry, and caramel are all coming out. Taste: All of the aspects of the aroma are coming through as well as slight bitterness, earthiness, and Belgian yeast complimenting everything nicely. The finish is very complex tasting - can't quite put my finger on this new quality it introduces to the overall flavor and why it's so good. Mouthfeel - wow, I really like how this works - the beer coats and sticks to the mouth providing a pleasant tingling sensation, possibly due to the high alcohol content. Overall this is one of my favorite Belgian beers. It's odd that in my area it's not available at many places.... it belongs right next to the classics such as Delirium, Trappist beers, and so forth. Pick this up if you see it, as well as other De Dolle brews.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured a dirty light brown with a thin tan head.

The smell is loaded with cherry and dark fruit, light sweet malt and a hint of alcohol.

The flavor is a bit tart with huge dark fruit flavors and malty sweetness, Very cedary and woody with a bit of belgian spice.

Has a heavy yet dry mouthfeel.

Very easy to drink and enjoyable,

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours hazy caramel brown with a dense, creamy tan head.

Aroma is brandy soaked dark fruit - fig and date, along with pleasant oak notes. Subtle yeasty spice.

Taste is caramel malt and molasses up front. More of the fig and date dark fruit from the nose, along with orange. Nice bit of woody oak and vanilla. Finishes with a smooth port wine alcohol warmth, and vague yeasty spice.

Mouthfeel is a silky medium full.

Overall, a very subtle and flovorful brew. Acohol heat does have some intensity, but seems to add rather than detract from the flavor.

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

exp: 2/1/13
A: Single finger cola head, no rising carbonation, an opaque dark blood red
S: dark cherry syrup, almost balloon like plastic but mild, but also chocolate.
T: between chocolate and fruit. not both but between. well masked alcohol and not too heavy, slightly tangy.
M: Slightly dry, with a numbing sort of edge. very light carbonation.
O: Good. Not wowed, but it's nice.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

2.5 finger thick off white head with nice lacing on a brownish orange murky body. Very nice lacing. Strong sweet dark fruit aroma, one of the best Belgian dark strong aromas I have experienced with cherry and raisin dominating. Flavor has more dark fruit with a sweet mild chocolate note. Medium body and moderate carbonation. Overall this is an excellent beer and excellent member of the genre. Very drinkable and complex.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Aged 1 year
Poured into a snifter
Smell was tart and of alcohol
Medium foam, but impressive carbonation in the mouth
Opaque reddish brown
Thick mouth feel
Malty, fruity, but not a sour fruit as the smell indicates. Slight alcohol on side of mouth
Good lacing