De Dolle Stille Nacht - Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers

De Dolle Stille NachtDe Dolle Stille Nacht

Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  12.00% ABV

Alcohol has gone from 8% to 12% in recent years due to better yeast performance; according to Kris Kerteler.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of De Dolle Stille Nacht Alström Bros

Bwagner1122, Mar 15, 2014

Zach136, Mar 15, 2014

Morey, Mar 12, 2014
4.49/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

*11.6 Bottle Christmas 2013*
Ok, I was at Max's and seen this in the beer fridge. I was stoked! This has been on my radar since my first tasting of Cuvee Van De Keiser Rood (early 2008). Well, I've already bored you with my life's story, now for the "meat and potatoes". I poured this brew in my Chimay Chalice, how classy. Ok I poured this very slowly, so there was not an extravagant sized head. This poured medium amber with heavy sediment parading around my Chalice, the head was a half finger solid bubbly white. Some might say this beer is ugly, I say for the style it's pretty fantastic. I looked around and went in for a whiff. This smells like Belgian Heaven. Huge notes of tart apples and sweet pears. Hints of earthy hops and hints of citric sourness. Hell Yes! I am now dying to sip this MOFO. It is what I expected! First flavors were of tart apple and candied sugar. Sweet pear follows with a faint metallic note. There is hints of honey and crackers. There is a nice dose of Yeasty Funk that I enjoy the most which leads to some spice and berries. There is a nice semi dry bitter finish with a lingering citric sourness (not offensive in any manner, I find it adds depth) The feel on this nectar is Medium to Full body and soft, very soft carbonation that tickles the taste buds and aches for another sip.

Overall: I had to look at the bottle again, there is now way this is 12 percent ABV! This drinks like it is at least 7%. Notice I didn't say there was any booze in the taste. This is very delicious, despite the appearance. Some don't like chunks in their beer but that was not a problem with this guy! I feel this could be a nice dessert beer or paired with a nice Fruit Salad. This refreshed my Love for Belgian Strong Ales. This is my New Favorite BSPA. This brew is Recommended.

Shroud0fdoom, Mar 09, 2014

jzlyo, Mar 04, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -34.2%

AlaskanYoung, Mar 02, 2014
4.66/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Aroma: Sweet caramel, slight belgian yeasty funk.

Appearance: Hazy golden amber, nice one finger off white head, some yeast chunks floating because of bottle conditioning.

Flavor: Sweet tart apple, light raisin in middle, with slight funk on finish. As it warms a brown sugar taste starts to come through and the tart apple fades.

Mouthfeel: Heavy, creamy, drying crisp finish, alcohol warming as i drink. Feels too heavy and thick at first but then quickly balances out with the fresh crisp tartness kicks in.

Overall: Very very good, excellent balance of sweet malt and light tartness, with a hint of funky yeast on the finish. This is one of my new favorites. $6.99 for 11.5floz

buzzardman, Feb 28, 2014

IronTom, Feb 25, 2014

sanford_and_son, Feb 24, 2014
4.41/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2012 bottling. Poured into a Lost Abbey Teku. The pour is very clear and has a lovely coppery-gold color (rather dark for the style). It sports a nice white head of fine foam. Decent retention for such a strong beer. On the nose I get some fruit notes, primarily apples and pears, as well as a little bit of clove.

Medium-full bodied with a nice, creamy feel and a fruity, complex flavor. Up front are loads of rich malty notes, fresh apples, pears, and bananas. At mid-palate I get allspice, ginger, and clove. It doesn't overpower the fruitiness, it just complements it. In the back of the palate is a hint of pepper and a pleasant alcohol warmth, both of which linger nicely.

Oh wow - this is one terrific beer! Rich malt, fresh fruit, baking spices, and warming alcohol all come together perfectly. Anyone who thinks Belgian Strong Pale Ales have to taste like Duvel is in for a shocker if they try this. If I come across another bottle of it, there's not way I'm passing it up. Highly recommended.

deadonhisfeet, Feb 23, 2014