De Dolle Stille Nacht - Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers

De Dolle Stille NachtDe Dolle Stille Nacht

Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  12.00% ABV

Alcohol has gone from 8% to 12% in recent years due to better yeast performance; according to Kris Kerteler.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of De Dolle Stille Nacht Alström Bros
ark57

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

In one word: Wow! This cloudy, dark orange beer is a great treat. The fruity aroma smells of apple and plum. These are but a few of the tastes in found in this very complex brew. There isn't much carbonation (and for that matter a head), but it does not matter.It is spicy in the finish with some pepper notes and a burst of warming alcohol. A must have in the winter time.

02-20-2004 13:46:00 | More by ark57
alexgash

Connecticut

2.13/5  rDev -48.9%

Medium copper body, slightly hazy, with a small, off-white head. Smells of tangy fruit that's been soaking in alcohol overnight. Slightly vinuous, and yeasty. Taste was a little surprising. Over the top sweetness laced with alcohol, or more accurately: cough syrup, Belgian cough syrup. Whew! The big candy sugar/alcohol wave crashes into some sharp bitterness, but the nyquil-ness lingers on. The combination of the cloying candy sweetness and the medicinal alcohol prove too much for me to enjoy this. I'm hoping this bottle was an off one, but I'm afraid I won't be ponying up another $5 to find out.

02-17-2004 00:10:40 | More by alexgash
tavernjef

4.72/5  rDev +13.2%

Dark Ale maybe in taste, but not in color which is softly glowing and thickly clouded; dark pale yellow with a small brownish tone to its body. You can kinda see the yeasties a bit floating around in there. No head was produced during or after the pour but a very thin ring sits along the edge the whole glass through. No real lacing either, some thickly drippings leaving miniscule specks.

Aroma is warming and sweet with nice dark fruity esters and floral tones. Some notes touching on plum, darkly savoring juicy oranges, raisins, sweet toffee, dark fresh honey, and caramel swirl about with some soft spice and phenol hints.

Taste is immaculately displayed with great, easy, and very yummy flavors of sweetish dark fruits and heavy liquored candies. Yum! Oh my, this is nice. Exceptional thickness. Its got a great heavy creamyness and feel thats loaded with great dark caramel and toffee candy laced with intermingling sweetened and ripe dark fruits of yellow raisins, plum, dates, and dulled orange. Notes of honey dart across the finish along with slight floral herbalness and a lingering darkened sweetness resides as the thickness just keeps sticking within and coating every pore in the back of the throat. A late warmth sneaks up into the nose clearing the senses a bit. Incredible for 8%, usually that amount doesn't offer up so much warming attributes but this stands on its own. Absolutely yummy and thick with a nice added oommff of warmth. Ohh so nice... lovely brew. Recommended!

02-13-2004 02:35:31 | More by tavernjef
PatandDavid

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

Had this on tap at Redbones. Pour was a dark cloudy amber, head which settled down nicely. Aroma was of caramel. I found the taste to be of candied caramel. Mouthfeel was rather full, but very smooth and sweet. Definitely a sipping beer, I thought it would make an excellent dessert beer. Good, but a little bit goes a long way.

02-08-2004 17:33:16 | More by PatandDavid
UnionMade

3.68/5  rDev -11.8%

1998 vintage sampled around Christmas 2003.
The beer is a burnished brass, served in an Orval chalice. Slight cloudiness. A gigantic froth of almond head attempts to break free of it's glass encased existence, standing about an inch out of the chalice. It loses it's battle quickly, but retains some spirit by maintaining a firm covering throught the course of the beer. Loads of sticky brussels lace let the glass know who's boss.
The aroma is gigantic, detectable from 2-3 feet away. Hugely malty and sweet, with copious amounts of candi sugar. Extremely fruity, with dates, pear, plum and some orange peel sweet & sourness. Some spicy tartness, with a sweet, liqueur-like alcohol presence. Faint herbal, floral hops, with a touch of clove like phenols.
The flavor starts with soft caramel-like maltiness, incredibly sweet and sugary, similar to white, refined sugar. The sweetness carries through the entire sip, supported somewhat with a bit of tartness in the finish, but miraculously not quite cloying. Candi sugar is apparent throughout. Monstrous estery sweetness comes through on the top of the tongue, bleeding into the finish like two colors of oil paint running together. The fruitiness hints at nectarine, plum, dates and some green raisin tartness, with just a siggestion of sweet orange peel. The alcohol is completely hidden under the sweetness. A pleasant yeasty tartness, with some spiciness, bolsters the finish. A bit of peppery flavor comes through. Some saaz hops, perhaps? Very full bodied, with huge amounts of unfermented sugar. Active carbonation provides a spritzy smoothness that carries the sweetness well.
This brew comes off more like juice than beer, with a stickiness clinging to the lips and a monstrous sweetness. This would be a terrific, albeit expensive beer to give to that girl you know that only likes fruity, neon colored mixed drinks, and claims that beer is gross. Not that it's unpalatable for a connoisseur, but it's an accessible flavor for the uninitiated. The $8 price tag on my glass will definitely prevent another round, but I don't think I could handle another anyways. The sweetness gets to be a bit much, and the last few sips become cumbersome.

02-07-2004 13:51:16 | More by UnionMade
CRJMellor

Arkansas

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a deep honey color with just a massive head. At least four fingers if not the full monty five finger pour. Head is slightly off-white and carbo bubbles are just huge and soap-like. Head leaves yards of lace on the glass. All kinds of yummy remnants on the bottom of the tulip despite a careful pour
Aroma is punctuated by raisins, oranges and sweet caramel malt. Touch of alcoholic kick and some peppery spice hiding in the background
Flavor is powerful almost like a fruit brand, peach or apricot comes to mind. Light, syrupt sweet malt taste with some caramel, toffee and maybe honey or molasses in the background. My taste are ringing with this beauty. Truly outstanding complexity in this beverage.
Mouthfeel is very smooth and silky. Really slides down the throat well. Faint pucker factor on the back end due to sweetness.
Drinakability is very high but can only imagine what a few of these would do my brain.

02-07-2004 04:30:02 | More by CRJMellor
silenius

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

I had this at the Hopleaf in Chicago.

The tiny bottle pours a coppery colored beer in to my tulip glass. No head at all. No carbonation is apparent to me in the slightest.

This beer smells floral and sweet like honeysuckle and a beautiful bouquet of flowers. Very appealing.

The taste is overwhelming with floral sweetness, honey, cinnamon, and unidentified spices. The finish is sweet that is just on the good side of cloying. What a winter warmer!

Mouthfeel is slick and sweet and on the moderately heavy side.

This is a great one-at-a-time beer. Not quite so large at the Midas Touch, I think I actually prefer this one to that beer. Will order again.

02-05-2004 03:58:36 | More by silenius
anders36

Sweden

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

This beer has a nice copper colour, but it's cloudy from the yeast. The head dissapears quickly, leaving a thin white hint of the head. The smell has a bit of citrus fruit and yeast but you also smell the alcohol of this strong beer. It has a sweet taste, almost to sweet for me. You can taste the yeast too. The alcohol leaves a warm feeling and it is a beer to enjoy on a silent night when it is cold outside.

01-19-2004 20:47:24 | More by anders36
byrd

3.55/5  rDev -14.9%

Nice bright copper color with a suspension of particles hanging evenly dispersed throughout. No head whatsoever… only a slight thin bubbly lace on the surface and a ring around the edge of the glass. Sweet malty aroma with some vinous notes. No real hops apparent on the nose. Very full and thick – even syrupy – mouthfeel. The palate is at once very sweet. Smooth malty start with very light carbonation that comes in towards the middle. Towards the end there’s a slight tartness that develops, but the sweetness never fades. The finish is quite warming. There are some ever so slight vinous notes that come through from time to time. This brew is a bit too sweet and somewhat cloying for my palate. Not that I would never drink it again, but it won’t worry me to not have it more then once a year. This is a sipper, not an overly drinkable brew. More like a heavily malted sweet barley wine then a typical Belgian ale.

01-14-2004 11:49:12 | More by byrd
waughbrew

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

Bottle circa 1997. Very light rusty color, pretty clear until the chunky yeast pour, big off-white head with rather good retention, not much lacing. Funky sourness attracts my attention right away. The aroma has dark fruits like plums and raisins in the front, with some bubble gum riding above a sweet caramel apple cider. Flavor is a sforzando of sweetness that decrescendos almost into a balance. Finishes with a sweet citrusy twang. A whole bunch of goodness in there - some vinegar, spices, earthiness, mustiness. Much like a complex liquid tart candied apple. Feel is rather thick, a bit syrupy with sweetness, but in no way annoying to me. Good medium carbonation that is very pleasant.

This beer is the nightcap that I am looking for every time that I open a barleywine or strong ale and am slightly disappointed. This has a complexity and godliness that most of those beers are missing. This beer is like no other I have ever had. And that is unfortunate, because it is incredible.

Many thanks to Paquette for this gift.

01-14-2004 01:26:31 | More by waughbrew
jahred

2.9/5  rDev -30.5%

Tried this at a winter beer tasting with some friends. Pours a light orange-brownish color with small-to-medium head. Smells of orange, and of sweet vinegar. I couldn't exactly place the scent when I reviewed this, but I'm fairly certain now that it reminded me of the old deli-style sweet vinegar cucumber salad that I love so much. Very odd, and an interesting combination with the orange scent.

As for the taste, it reminded me of really sweet rose water. The thick, very sweet orange/vinegar background definitely was not pleasant. Not sure if this was a skunked bottle, or if I just couldn't take this sickingly sweet beer.

01-13-2004 22:02:07 | More by jahred
LuckySevens82

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

You just have to love the freaky snow man on the label of this bottle. It makes me happy and frightened at the same time.

Anyway. Pours a cloudy amber with little to no head or lacing (I was trying to produce a head, but was unable to. As far as lacing is concerned I am kind of disappointed. But with a name like Silent Night, I can't say I'm too surprised

Smell is good, very sweet, some hops, a few citrus notes and a bit of an alcohol presence.

Taste is very interesting. I can honestly say that this is like no other beer I have ever tried. It is very sweet, with obvious caramel, butterscotch, and candy tastes. The beer seems heavily spiced, which while not a bad thing kind of detracts from the other tastes. There is a faint alcohol heat and dryness at a finish.

As far as drinkability is concerned. I can't see myself having this one too often, but as a treat durring the cold winter months, I can see how it would be a nice, welcome change to some of the other brews out there.

Overall: I'm happy with this beer, and I think that from time to time I will go back to it

01-08-2004 04:14:42 | More by LuckySevens82
mickeymac

3.35/5  rDev -19.7%

Being a fan of de Dolle, I was really looking forward to trying Stille Nacht. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to expectations. Served from the trademark 11.2 oz Belgian brown bottle, it's a nice-looking copper with good-sized chunks of floating yeast despite a careful pour. The head disappears almost immediately. The smell is funky Belgian yeast and sugary sweetness. However, the sweet smell is not adequate preparation for the overwhelming sweetness of the taste. It's sticky sweet and reminiscent of a cherry soda. No hop bitterness or trace of sourness balances the mouth-coating effect of sugar-soaked cherries that makes this beer a labor to finish. Oh well, no brewery is perfect.

01-05-2004 02:02:06 | More by mickeymac
Bierguy5

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

Brown bottle pours a dark amber color. I could not produce much of a head on this beer. What was present disappeared quickly. Almost no lacing on my glass as I drank.Smells of sweet malt, and alcohol presence. This beer tastes very sweet, a touch caramel and butterscotch. This beer does a have a good medium body to it. I could taste the alcohol presence. This is an interesting beer. This is a good beer for the holidays to enjoy slowly. I will look for this again next year.

12-26-2003 20:29:05 | More by Bierguy5
filabrazilia

Colorado

2.42/5  rDev -42%

This beer exploded out of the bottle due to excessive carbonation. The head absolutely dominated the beer making me wonder if this was a bad brew (I don't think it should be since I just bought it, but who knows how long it wason the shelf).

The aroma was pleasant with citrus notes (lemon, orange) and reminded me of a Saison.

The citrus flavors were present but overwhelmed by a strong alcohol finish. The alcohol content is rated at 8% but it felt like it was much higher. My eyes burned after each sip. I don't want to say this was awful--it was interesting.

This beer was so sharp I thought it was going to draw blood. I could feel the beer in my sinuses it was so strong--ouch. After the burn, there is a dry finish.

I could not drink this beer or recommend it to anyone. I really wanted to like it and tried with each drink to convince myself it was good. Unfortunately, I could not get myself to like this beer. I'm not sure this was what they intended, but it is disappointing.

12-21-2003 16:33:01 | More by filabrazilia
DagFishHead

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance: Hazy copper-amber pour. Thin, fizzy, nearly pristine white head hangs in as a ring with minimal lace.
Smell: Yeasty, slightly musty/earthy, sweet malt, butter, rum, vanilla.
Taste: Start is intensley sweet like caramel malt fortified with rock candy, yet it's not cloying. Notes of vanilla, nutmeg, and other christmas-ey eggnoggy tones (butterscotch, rum, etc). Biscuity with a yeast tang at the top. Sweet citrus attempts to dry the finish along with a smoothly subsiding alcohol warmth. Unique in my tastings to date.
Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied creamy malt, gentle carbonation, and a very pleasing alcohol warmth.
Drinkability: This selection will be on my Christmas-time sipper list.

12-16-2003 02:40:13 | More by DagFishHead
moulefrite

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

A strange bird, but nice and warming! If this is supposed to be a strong dark ale-it ain't much in the color department, and a big zero in the headage department-zilch. Aromas, flavors, and textures are big, rich and syrupy in nature. In fact the beer almost looks like maple syrup coming out of the bottle. This is more of a dessert, or kick back in bed and read a book while sipping beer, than anything else. The flavors favor gooey malt extract, that come off in a big fruit cocktail like style. I will say, that while I am sipping this brew, we are having a snow storm out the window, and this is quite the comforting beverage. Simply expect this to be a hedonistic fruit driven over the top drink and you'l dig it!

12-11-2003 02:52:14 | More by moulefrite
counselor

Connecticut

4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

I don't particularly enjoy belgian beers, but this beer confirms my reasons for trying (and reviewing) styles I don't enjoy. I really enjoyed this beer!

Upon pouring, I was not terribly hopeful because of the light muddy color and thin head. Despite the brackish appearance, as I drew the glass to my lips, I was greeted by the sweet smell of sweet apples, pears and hyacinth. These delicate, springlike aromas continued nicely as I enjoyed this beer while preparing dinner. Each mouthful brought with it candy apple sweet, tangy, fruity flavors that melted away into a clear, but mild citrusy hop aftertaste.

I went back to the bottle to check the yeast and was lucky to see a shot sized mixture of beery sediment which I promptly downed - wow a concentrated shot of the estery clementine hop beer that I have been drinking!

As I drew near the end of the glass I wished that I had another, but alas, I did not. This beer is why I review styles I do not care for, so that I can better appreciate all styles and come to know variations within each style. This is especially true with Belgians that are so broad ranging.

12-10-2003 15:13:29 | More by counselor
ElGuapo

3.28/5  rDev -21.3%

A dark pour with a small lacing on top that died pretty quickly. Aromas of fruit and spice hit the nose first along with a blast of alcohol. It has a very sweet aroma overall, but the spices do their job.

This is one strange beer. It had a lot of earthiness at first with spices and vegetable flavors. Alcohol came in large gusts. A few sips later, it was very sweet with minimal spiciness. A few other swigs had it tasting like brandy. The complexity was nice, but it really didn't all go together that well. I usually like something new and strange to me, but this one just didn't do it for me.

12-04-2003 16:02:10 | More by ElGuapo
erica

3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Sweet! Stille Nacht is soooo sweet, maybe the sweetest beer I ever had. However, I like sweet so I liked it. It was a pretty orangey amber color with a big head, smelled like honey and wine, and spiced apples in there too. It tasted pretty much the same as it smelled, with that sweetened honey flavour predominating. I liked it but it was almost syrupy- a bit too thick for my liking- and I definintely wouldn't want to drink more than one glass of this stuff. I might try it again in a year, I'll be due for another by then.

12-01-2003 20:37:39 | More by erica
Joss

Germany

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Best before 2005 - rated November 2003.

Raisins and peaches in the aroma.

Brown color, flakes of yeast, big fluffy head.

Flavor: Raisins, sweet brown sugar and
a slight citric aftertaste.

Very warming - the perfect winter beer.

This bottle was a little bit too sweet - aging will probably do a lot to this beer.

11-17-2003 21:12:52 | More by Joss
ManekiNeko

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

11.6 oz bottle served chilled in a Trois Pistoles goblet. I took the glass held by the happy snowman on the label to be my guide here.

Appearance: Translucent orange with lotsa little floaties in it (mmm... floaties). Huge, thick, and creamy offwhite head that diminished to a layer of foam a few minutes later. This layer stuck around for the rest of the glass. Not as much lacing as I was hoping for given the fantastical head and retention, but still pretty good.

Smell: Intensely fruity smell. I got peaches, strawberries, pears, apples, and oranges. If I ate more tropical fruit, I'd probably be able to identify some others. Very yeasty with some faintly herbal hops. Quite the sniffer, I'd say.

Taste: Damn is this a fruity and tasty beer. Peach flavor is the strongest, but you can easily (and happily) detect the other fruits mentioned previously. A whole lot of candi sugar must have gone into this, it's so sweet. Subtle alcohol presence.

Mouthfeel: Substantial in body, almost syrupy, but still refreshing.

Drinkability: You'd better have a sweet tooth for this one. If it weren't for the mouthfeel and the lack of tartness, I'd have thought I was given a peche lambic. Overall, it can be a bit cloying, so more than one in a sitting might be a bit much. I think I know what some people might be getting for Xmas...

Other: Quaffed in honor of the pumpkin sculpture I made for my workplace's 2nd annual pumpkin decorating contest. I took three small white pumpkins of different sizes, hollowed one out, and then made a snowman out of it. Pictures available upon request.

11-01-2003 21:36:50 | More by ManekiNeko
Admiraldinty

3.93/5  rDev -5.8%

I don't know what to think of this beer. In some ways it's really schizophrenic. Pours an orange-light amber with an enormous white, frothy head that has pretty good staying power.

Smells enormously of apple. The first thought that came to mind was Mott's apple juice. Other than that, it has a little spice, alcohol, and loaded with malts.

Taste is so damned complex. Initially you taste the alcohol. Then you begin to taste the fruit - again the apple with some other unidentified fruit. This immediately moves to a huge syrupy sweetness that's almost too much to handle. (Reminds me of Gulden Draak.) This is why drinkability suffers. Finishes on the dry side. Very smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

I really don't know what to make of this, and I'm absolutely confused.

10-10-2003 02:11:55 | More by Admiraldinty
RoyalT

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance – Big head that I controlled with a moderate pour. The body is classic, cloudy-orange Belgian.

Smell – There’s the BSPA aroma. The toasted malt scents mix with the fruity aroma of apricots, banana (my favorite), melons, cherries from the jar, and yellow watermelon.

Taste – Oh, this is nice. The fruits are out here in force. The malt backbone is present, but the fruits steal the show. You’ve got all the tastes from the nose then a big banana-cherry-melon fruit juice that tastes like concentrate. I mean, this stuff is strong!

You’ve also got some nice spicing to this one as well. Coriander makes the rounds here as well as cinnamon and a dash of salt.

Mouthfeel – Lightly carbonated for the style. This is not a mouthful with each sip as one would think. Nice.

Drinkability – This is almost like an aperitif wine. It is very fruity, smooth, clean, sweet, and inviting.

09-18-2003 03:00:44 | More by RoyalT
Gueuzedude

Arizona

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

A deep golden color, with amber notes to it. Pours with hardly any head at all. It looks quite thick as it is poured into the glass, and is very lightly carbonated. Smells of honey and a general fruitiness. Tastes thick, complex, sweet, with a strong honey note to it. This beer is also lightly sour which balances wonderfully with the sweetness. This is a world-class beer, and is incredibly well balanced.

09-08-2003 18:08:22 | More by Gueuzedude