De Dolle Stille Nacht Reserva 2010 - Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers

De Dolle Stille Nacht Reserva 2010De Dolle Stille Nacht Reserva 2010

Brouwerij De Dolle Brouwers visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-13-2012

De Dolle Stille Nacht aged in Bourdeaux wooden barrels for 25 months.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.68/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Deep golden burnt orange color with 2 fingers of a creamy off white head with good retention and lacing. Fairly clear in the glass with insane amount of visible carbonation throughout.

Smell: Red wine grape, oak, lactic tartness, green apple, tart cherries, dried dark fruits. The wine barrel characteristics intensify in the aroma as it warms.

Taste: Sweet and tart upfront with lots of vinous notes. Red grape, oak, stone fruits, caramel, pear, apricot, very light spicy yeast character. There's a lactic character throughout, but without the strong tartness/sourness that tends to accompany it.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, creamy mouthfeel with medium soft carbonation. Nice alcohol warming sensation in the chest, but it goes down surprisingly easy.

Overall: One of the most interesting beers I've ever had. I'm not even sure what style I would classify this as. Nonetheless, this is a world class beer, that I highly recommend trying. (954 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%

75cl bottle poured at cellar temp into a FFF Teku, a couple ounces at a time. Thanks to the man that hooked me up on this, as he knew I'd be pumped to open one up ASAP. Bottle was imported to the USA. Cork is soaked, comes out with a slight hiss. Not a gusher...so apparently barrels are the solution to that problem. I'm going to do my best to not homerize this review. Time for a sole mission....

A - Pours a deep orange with a hint of red, white thin head becomes a nice lacing. It really looks fantastic. The lacing maintains its shape so well.

S - I opened this and let it breathe for about 10 minutes. Tartness is evident, lots of brett with the trademark Stille Nacht nose. Oak is present with some fruity hints, some lighter fruits coming through. Slight vinegar.

T - Sweet malts start it off with bretted stone fruits coming through, stronger on the lighter fruits. The licorice evident in fresher bottles of Stille Nacht is found throughout the backbone. Oak tannins and notes of wine lead the finish. There is a hint of vinegar, like in the nose.

M - Medium body, much like regular Stille Nacht.

O - Quite fantastic, but that's probably a little biased. It's ready to drink now and I'm very curious about how it will age. I suspect that there may be some bottle variations based on the other reviews I've seen, before mine and on ratebeer. I got a lot of brett. Then again, I've noticed some difference in flavor as the bottle goes down. If it makes any difference, this bottle was distributed to Indiana. Gold cap.

EDIT - 2/2/13 - I just opened a bottle that came directly from the brewery. The beer is essentially flat, and there is no evident tartness. There is some brett that takes a seat in the background, as the wine influence dominates. There is acetone evident. This is not at all like the first bottle that I opened. I would rate this one 3.5/4/4/4.5/4. I greatly prefer the carbonated version I had. Silver cap, cork in great condition. (1,965 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -6%

750ml bottle 12,0% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in a wine glass.
2010 vintage

Review number 350.
A massive thanks to Futura and Brabander for sending me bottles of this.

Appearance: Stille Nacht Reserva pours a lightly hazed amber orange, with a few larger particles in suspension. A rough pour yields a massive off white head that lasts reasonably well for the Abv. and leaves some good lacing. A swirl results in light alcohol legs on the glass.

Smell: Wow, this smells very different from what I had expected. The nose is reminiscent of a sour blended with a BSPA notes. I really have no idea where to start with the nose so I think it will be best if I simply list the aromas I noted over the course of the bottle: Overripe apple, citrus (orange), white grapes, oak, a little red wine, lactic sourness, some flanders notes a little caramel, golden raisins and a little alcohol.

Taste: As with the nose, the flavour is very interesting offering sweet honey upfront, but quickly fading in strong sour/Belgian notes including overripe red apples, white grapes, citrus, stone fruits, bready malts, a little oak, flanders notes and a light lactic tartness. As the beer warms a little red wine becomes apparent along with a little booze.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel here is very Belgian, it has a high level of expansive carbonation and a medium-full body with a touch of stickiness.

Overall: Stille Nacht Reserva is a very interesting beer and while I enjoyed it, I felt that there was something that didn't quite work in the combination of sweet and tart. I am however very interested to see how my second bottle will age. (1,633 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

75 cl bottle poured into my cantillon tulip glass

beautiful cloudy reddisch/orange/amber colored beer with no head leaving some nice lacing

Aromas of red wine , musty cobwebbs ( like an old cellar ) , oak , sour apple ,
pear ( poire williams ?? ) apricot.

Flavour : fallows the nose : spices, sweet ( vanilla / caramel ) , oak , apple , vinous , red grapes/red wine ( cabarnet sauvignon ) , pear ( poure williams ) , butter ( butter candy's , in Belgium we call them moeder babelutte , butterscotch )

Aftertaste : vinous and red grapes ( cabarnet sauvignon ) ? Butter candy's

Mouthfeel : Low to no carbo, very creamy mouthfeel, full body and a light oily texture.

Overall :Wow what a beer , even with the lack of carbonation this is a real world class beer , that realy dosn't ask for a high level of carbonation , but then offcorse you can't expect to have a nice foamy head .
each sip again you get the full complexity of this beautifull beer , over and over again , only the best of the best can do that !!

This realy live's up the hype !!
Top class !! (1,067 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Big thanks to MrKennedy for sharing. Reviewed from notes

Pours a burnished amber, largely clear with a very persistent just off-white head.

Intoxicating (ahem) marriage of Flanders Red and Belgian Strong. Sour cherry, marzipan, figs, woody tannins and mild hints of ethyl acetate.

Body is light and accommodating for the ABV. Jazzy carbonation leads it to a mellow mildly tart conclusion.

Just a fantastic beer and as good as I remember it from 15 months ago. Everything in near-perfect harmony. (505 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -6.9%

A: cloudy orange copper, no head to speak of.
S: fermenting fruit and vinous. Loads of must and grape notes. Decent wood quality. Fruit notes are barrel forward not yeasty. Smells a bit hot.
T: similar to nose, quite musty Less barrel here. There is a grape sweetness in the middle and the same to the end coupled with some ethanol, but fairly well hidden on palate for 12%. Hints of sherry notes.
M: nice chewy body, though nearly flat.
O: though a fine beer, not worth the hype, though it could be flatter and altered with age. (540 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours light red with golden hues, lite head. Nose is acetic, but lacking the harsh tones I would expect. Taste is amazing, clean, Belgian flavors of spice and fruit, mixed with wine tannins and wine sweetness. Almost port like. Feel is nice, so smooth and clean; could have more carbonation but very nice. Overall, very amazing with a great mix of aged stille nacht and wine. One of the best beers I've had in a long time. (423 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow. I had this last night and did not take notes but the experience was memorable enough I feel confident reviewing it today. Thanks to lurkaholic I had this alongside 2010 and 2012 bottles of "regular" Nacht.

The base beer is like nothing I'd experienced really - a unique combination of red and dark fruits with Belgian yeasts. The fruitiness really opened up on the older bottle, it was a full half-mark better. A gentle tartness added to the impressive complexity.

Then enter the Reserva with bold notes of oak and wine on top of all that. Sweet, port like wine texture and flavour. Just awesome! (604 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last