Brewhouse Honey Lager - Great Western Brewing

Brewhouse Honey LagerBrewhouse Honey Lager

Great Western Brewing visit their website
Saskatchewan, Canada

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: biboergosum on 01-07-2012)
Reviews by BigBry:

BigBry, Jul 09, 2013
2.85/5  rDev -3.4%

355ml can. Images of old-timey brewhouse operations - levers, gauges, and bowler hats abound.

This beer pours a clear, bright medium golden colour, with three fingers of foamy, melted marshmallow white head, which leaves a few disparate streaks of islet lace around the glass as it evenly abates. Not a shabby-looking lager, I gotta say.

The aroma evokes nothing more than stewed veggies, pallid cereal grain, dead flowers, and sweet malt liquor. Where's my honey, honey? First swig, and some, but by no means all, things are forgiven - sweet grainy malt, and a honey-esque earthy, floral essence jump to front. They stick around like they're waiting to be paid, until a soft, leafy, weediness tempers thing a bit, almost agreeably so.

Bubbles come, bubbles go, but they have little perceptive bearing; the body is medium light in weight, but not really thin, and really fairly smooth. It finishes just off-dry, a reedy mustiness, and dirty honey character 'outshining' the plain Jane grain.

While not the worst instance of the Canadian fascination with honey and beer, and somewhat drinkable (see: cognitive dissonance, beer section, chapter 1), it still is Greatly lacking in character, hardly a harbinger of the downfall of Western civilization, and typical of an average lager-focused Brewery's marketing department's idea of good.

biboergosum, Jan 07, 2012
2.73/5  rDev -7.5%

A- Pours clear like a soda, and with a light golden color, not like ginger ale, but rather grassy and/or grainy....slightly honey like. There is an aggressive carbonation, with big burly bubbles rapidly rising along with many columns of smaller bubbly goodness. The head isn't that bad looking, starting rather thick but doesn't contain any real body to it, quickly fizzling out into a soapy layer. The lacing is actually decent for this style, with a decent amount of wispy foam clinging to my glass.

S- Honestly, there isn't much aroma at all going on here....what I can smell is a sweet-ish grassy smell, and the sweetness is of very muted honey. There is also the normal adjunct like aromas of boiled corn and/or rice....very clean smelling. The finish has virtually no hop aroma....how unfortunate but not unexpected.

T- Well, the flavors are about as muted as the aroma lets on. Lets just say the "honey" used must have been produced from cardboard because there is no good honeyed quality about the flavor. Just adjunct laced flavor and a slightly metallic aftertaste is left on my palate. Again, very clean and what flavor there is, is very bland.

M- Palate scrubbing carbonation and thin bodied, this is a picture perfect example of what a buck a beer lager will feel like on the palate. The only difference is that I feel like I'm chewing on tinned corn rather than plain old boiled corn...

O- I would not seek this one out again...it is definitely better than regular Brewhouse by leaps and bounds but when you're comparing swill to swill, it doesn't get any better lol. On a hot day after mowing the lawn and your mouth is dry, this will do, but other than that, it's just another brew that will help you get your buzz on without any risk. It is what it is,and is slightly below average for the style.

ChrisCage, Nov 23, 2012
3.35/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

My elation at opening a box from BigBry CANnot be adequately expressed unless you understand that to The CANQuest (TM), CANned beer from CANada trumps all!

From the CAN: "Quality Ingredients, Quality Crafted"; "Cold Aged Extra Smooth Refreshing"; "100% Real Honey"; "Brewhouse Guarantee The Great Western Brewing Company stands behind this quality product. If you are not completely satisfied, tell us and we will gladly replace it. Proudly Union Made"; "Return For Refund Where Applicable".

I CAN tell you that the spent CAN will NOT be returned, nor will it be recycled. Having recently met Jeff Lebo of Brewhouse Mountain Eco-Inn, he will be getting all of my empties from here on out. Further, he jokingly tells me that he may add a special wing just for my CANtributions. Or is he joking?

I had a good Crack & Glug and an earlier rain shower seems to have cut the humidity CANsiderably resulting in a finger-and-a-half of foamy, bone-white head with good retention. Color was a sunshine-yellow (like I needed more sun) with NE-quality and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose was lager-like, but without a corn-adjunct presence. I suppose that honey would be CANsidered an adjunct, but that elevates it beyond a simple AAL. Mouthfeel was medium and it had a honey sweetness on the tongue which was neither cloying nor unwarranted. It really was smooth and I was almost halfway through my glass before I realized that I had not typed anything in about its taste. Finish was semi-sweet and left a lingering taste of honey in my throat. I would not mind opening a cooler and seeing it filled with this beer, but I am not going to tell you to go on a special quest for it, either. It is simply that, given its stylistic designation as an AAL, I would take it over a whole buncha losers.

woodychandler, Jul 08, 2013
2.81/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

355ml can poured into pint glass 25/2/13

A clear straw yellow, heavily carbonated with a two finger foam that has decent retention and leaves lots of random lace

S sweet grains, bread, dusty cardboard, and some faint honey but smells more like a macro lager then anything

T more sweet cereals but the flavor mimics the smell fairly well, pretty basic beer I was expecting more honey

M quite light and I can see lots of carbonation but its a little flat in the mouth, its a little strange if you ask me, sweet malts on the finish

O I'm not sure if I'd guess this brews infused with honey if I didn't read the can, just another basic lager nothing offensive but nothing to brag about either

I suppose this is a great beer considering how little it costs, a cheap buzz before payday but that's about it

wordemupg, Feb 26, 2013
Brewhouse Honey Lager from Great Western Brewing
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.