Pauwel Kwak - Brouwerij Bosteels

Pauwel KwakPauwel Kwak

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pauwel Kwak Alström Bros

1.45/5  rDev -61.5%

Reviewed 08-25-04
12 oz. bottle, no date, 8% abv listed. Damn thing gushed on me right here at my computer desk.
Aroma 4.5: Nice Belgian nose; smells more like a Strong Dark, ripe grapes and pears, mild spices.
Appearance 3: A rosy amber body with a very thin cover and a collar of off white. The lace was impressive given the tiny head. No clumps noted.
Flavor 3.5: Vinous, very wine like with grape flavors in the forefront. It has some mild vanilla and clove, presumably from the yeast. Overall rather sweet, I can’t pick out any hop flavors.
Mouthfeel 4: Medium body with a strong alcohol prickle. Smooth with a nice carbonation level.
Overall Impression 2: Enjoyable. My socks are still on, but the alcohol hasn’t really kicked in yet. Still mad about the gushing, I treated it well, had sat in my fridge for over a week. Drinkability? Well, I’m enjoying this glass, but I can’t see doing another given the alcohol level. I’m also not seeing myself crave this to the point of getting another any time soon. Glad I came, but, been here, drank that, have the stain in my carpet to show for it.

Re-reviewed 02-14-06
750 ml bottle, best by 01-01-07.
Aroma 2: Smells like wet cork, and not in a good way
Appearance 1: Large corn flake white protein chunks filled the glass after a gentle pour and careful handling
Flavor 2: Lifeless wood and sweet wort
Mouthfeel 1: Chunky style
Overall Impression 1: I may have gotten a bad bottle, but a quick survey on the main beer page shows that this is far too common to just let go.

I spent good money on this beer only to drain pour it.
Kwak, you're dead to me.

1.5/5  rDev -60.2%

This is the most effort I've ever put into finishing a beer that wasn't something from the Budwiser/Genny macrobrew family. Ouch. The color and the nose will fool you. It smells passable and appears as it should, compared to the genre. At taste, it is painfully sweet, an utter lack of balance. there's noting here but malt and sugar. I tried to pass this on to my sugar-addicted girlfriend and she was repulsed by it. It is a recent bottling according to the label.

1.75/5  rDev -53.6%

Kwak would be a good Scrabble word

1.75/5  rDev -53.6%

1.78/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

i got this in the boxset with the mini yard and wood handle.

A- honey color but there are chuncks of sediment. off colour head

S- aromatic,

T- not much bitterness, velvety

m- Feels okay, bit of carbonation, higher alcohol

d- Starts out okay, but the fruity taste is a bit over powering, so im definitely not going to drink more than one at a time. and probably wont by it again.

2.1/5  rDev -44.3%

Drank the beer in the original glass. The Kwak has a nice amberlike colour with a nice and firm head. Smelling strong caramel. It's not my kind of beer but what the he..! There is not much more to say about this beer. Though the appearance is good the rest is waste of time.

2.15/5  rDev -43%

Being a belgian beer i made sure to quit pouring it when i saw floating particles try and enter my glass. Poured with a very thin head which dissipated quickly. Color was a deep amber but not to the point of redness. Aroma was a sweetness punctuated by a few esters but not very much. Taste was very thin with sweetness and a slight hoppiness and again few esters. Carmelly yet dry due to esters but with a bitter hoppiness with a very clean finish. Overall i would rather try a different Belgian beer instead so i can find a brand more indicitave of the style.

2.17/5  rDev -42.4%

Poured a nice clear light brown with 1/2 inch of head into my Duvel tulip. The head dissipated almost immediately.

The smell was inviting. Lots of spice and caramelly boozyness.

I let the beer warm up to near room temp but the whole time I was bothered by how watery it finished. Even at room temp, the most it got was some water followed by some faint malty caramel booze taste and finished water.

I simply can't recommend this beer to anyone. There are many better beers out there especially Belgians.

2.2/5  rDev -41.6%

A: amber colored, a little head and lacing.

S: juicy juice, malt, a little bit of bubble gum and fruit.

T: weird tastes, phenols, strong taste of alcohol, sweet bubble gummy Belgian yeast flavor. Alcohol too strong and overpowering.

M: thick and burning. Mild carbonation.

D: maybe one of the worst Belgians I've ever had, too much alcohol, too little taste.

2.25/5  rDev -40.3%

Appearance: brown red body, opaque, with little head but a stupifying amount of floaties. I have never seen floaties like this. Not even in the Fantome products.
Aroma: Malt and dried fruit.
Taste: dull malt flavor with dull dried mango.
Mouthfeel: Medium body a dull fizzyness.
D - Though I drank it 5 months before the expiration date, this was a flabby pathetic beer. Nothing like the tastey brew I have known this to be.

2.25/5  rDev -40.3%

A= pours a caramelly brownish color similar to coca cola looking. The head is a nice two fingers and appears to be a just off white color. Nice retention and lacing on this one as well.

S= Strangly this smells like regular beer to me. Smells a lot like a macro lager. There is a slight caramelly malt sweetness coming through but other than that it's just macro beer smell to it. If you dig real deep you can smell some belgian spicyness to the yeast.

T= Luckily much more different than the smell. Really tastes sweet. Has a sugar water property to it I think. I do taste the macro lager aspect that I smelled but then it tastes like sugar water was added to that. Little Belgian spicyness from the yeast is noticable but it is there and there is a certain warming aspect from the alcohol in it. Mostly just really sugary sweet.

M= Low carbonation and sweet sticky cloyingness to it.

D= I expected a lot more from this beer. To me it tastes like sugar water. I don't understand this one at all. Not recommended to anyone unless you like macro lagers with sugar.

2.35/5  rDev -37.7%

got the gift box mostly due to the sweet-ass coachman's glass/stand that this is drunk out of. this is a hazy deep brown amber with a tan head. most of the sediment was left in the bottle but some large floaties escaped. aromas of nuts, rum, and fruit along with roasty, spicy, and musty/barnyard notes. taste was mostly sourish with a bit of dark sweet malts. a bit of husky graininess as well. minimal hop bitterness. prominent alcohol presence which is not my thing. mouthfeel was light to medium and kinda flat/watery on the back end despite the high level of carbonation in this. drinkability suffers due to the high abv and my struggle to finish it in order to move on to a two hearted ale.

2.38/5  rDev -36.9%

Pours clear deep reddish-coppery to amber body capped by beige head that quickly dissipates. When compared to other representatives of the style known for characteristic thick persistent head, Kwak presents very poorly. The nose is apple and banana esters, caramel sweetness, bready malt and quite noticeable alcohol. The beer tastes like oxidized apple slices powdered with sugar, with mild spiciness and evident alcohol that helps to counterbalance the sweetness. There's a minor amount of bitterness that seems phenolic rather than
hop-derived and which in synergy with carbonation lends surprisingly (considering the overall sweetness) dry finish.

In short: overly sweet mediocre brew with emphasis on esters and alcohol. (BB 13. March 2013, 750 ml, into tulip)

2.38/5  rDev -36.9%

On-tap at the YardHouse, on to the beer:

Semi-hazy dark apricot color is the best way to describe the color of this beer, so I little darker than your average blonde. Some mushy bananas and clove emerge from the aroma, but so does some odd-flavored husky malt. It holds true even in the taste. There are some traditional Belgian characteristics, such as candi sugar and banana, but that stale, husky grain is turning me off. Add in husky, bland pilsner malt to the equation, and now my palate is filing for a divorce. I do like the creamy mouthfeel this beer has, but by now, it is too late. There are so many better options out there.

2.4/5  rDev -36.3%

I was visiting Hong Kong after a long couple of months on the Mainland, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on some real beer. I found a great little shop in SoHo, right off the escalator, called "Euro Treat." They seemed to have more American stuff than European (Ben and Jerry's ice cream, Sierra Nevada PAs, etc.), but I saw a 75cl bottle of Kawk's standing alone alongside a shelf full of Duvel, and figured, what the hell.

Wish I had gone with Duvel.

When you begin your pour, it all begins very promisingly: a cloudy amber-brown, a steady stream of carbonation with a lasting head and some minor lacing. It looks really great, warm, and inviting. But things tend to go downhill from there.

The smell was sugary, unremarkable, and dull. Some fruit that was there at first but disappeared in the dull overpowering sugar-stench. I wanted to like it, I wanted something to kick my nose in the ass after months of Tsing Tao and San Miguel ... alas, this failed to deliver.

The taste was a blunt upfront sweetness, overwhelming and just too candied in the mouth. You can't enjoy the spicy lingering because things are just too sugary, the bite is lost or at least subdued. A little alcohol on the finish just as you get a taste for a citrus suggestion, but again the false sugary bombast wafts up and ruins it. This beer is just too sweet, for me at least.

As for drinkability? No thanks. It was a struggle to get through this 75cl bottle.

Pauwel Kwak from Brouwerij Bosteels