Tripel Karmeliet - Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Tripel |  8.40% ABV

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tripel Karmeliet Alström Bros
wtgannon

1.5/5  rDev -64.9%

03-15-2012 18:28:11 | More by Saviorself
jgasparine

Maryland

A- Poured from the tap into a nice tulip glass with one finger of white head, which quickly gave way to some nice lacing. The body was a hazy straw color with some visible carbonation.

S- Lots of Belgian Yeast on this nose, along with corriander, lemongrass and pale malt. There are more subtle aromas of straw and stale hops kicking-around the nose as well.

T- The first impressions of the taste are a replicate of the nose. Upon further examination, the beer appears to take on a more cracker-like flavor... but then... as the beer warms, this nasty soap-like fatty acid flavor emerges. Soon enough, I am so focused on how this tastes like hand soap, I cannot appreciate any of the other flavor attributes.

M- High carbonation is the most noteworthy component to the mouthfeel, which I generally don't mind in a highly-attenuated tripel. I would say this is a light to medium body. Nothing particularly bad here in the mouthfeel department, but nothing outstanding either...

D- I could not finish this glass, it was disgusting. This was the first time I have had the Tripel Karmeliet, and I considered it being a bad keg, but it wasn't oxidized, and didn't show typical signs of infection. All the glasses were clean, and all other beers poured from the establishment taste nice and fresh... but the SOAP flavor just made this unbearable.

I resolve that this particular batch of beer was left in the fermenter too long... and I intend to re-review at some point, given the high ratings from other BAs

08-15-2009 13:02:38 | More by jgasparine

12-09-2012 19:44:32 | More by mhbarber
snu164

2.01/5  rDev -52.9%

750ml bottle.

A. Nice golden clear pour. Perfect carbonation.

S. Grains of paradise. Nothing other than grains of paradise. The scent is so strong, I question whether the other reviewers actually smelled or drank this beer. It only smells like grains of paradise. Heavily so.

T. Black pepper. That is all I can taste. Black pepper.

M. Medium? Hard to tell with the overwhelming flavor of black pepper.

I hope I got a bad bottle. This is one of the worst Belgian Beers I have tasted. As a brewer, the obvious flaw is too much grains of paradise. Way too much black pepper.

05-28-2014 08:36:53 | More by snu164
ChadQuest

2.05/5  rDev -52%

I got this on tap, i actually came to this specific pub because they have this beer on tap and i live in the cornfields. I don't have it easy.
So the pour is a really clear pale golden straw color, the color is a bit lackluster though. The head is decent with average retention.
The aroma and flavors seemed muted from what i expected, there wasn't a strong yeasty character which is not surprising from the clear body, but i also got very little spices or white pepper notes that i generally look for in this style. What was there was just slight banana and clove and some wheat notes, not much else adding character to this one.
I have had triples from alot of others i liked alot more honestly.
The mouthfeel was a bit low carbed, maybe that kept the flavors from popping? I hope that was the problem, hopefully it was a bad pour or something, but i wasn't impressed.

07-01-2011 06:34:28 | More by ChadQuest
TPSReports

Alabama

2.3/5  rDev -46.1%

I pickeup up four of these 11.2oz bottles on my last trip to West Palm Beach. Fortunately, I've given away two to ddarden and only have one the remains. Maybe it will improve with age.

Everything is great with this beer for a while: the bottle looks nice. I like the label. It pours and looks like a tripel. That is where the fun ends.

The aroma is difficult to place, and not the pleasing -- very sugary.

The best way to describe the taste is candy corn soaked in alcohol. Not good, IMHO.

This is my least favority tripel to date. I would MUCH prefer an ice cold Miller High Life.

Bummer.

06-19-2005 04:26:44 | More by TPSReports
claspada

2.4/5  rDev -43.8%

Pours a hazy golden honey color with an average size off white aromatic head and minimal lacing.

The aroma is definitely the highlight of this beer for me. Wheat, yeast, tons of fresh lemon, some caramel sweetness, and some spiciness from either the hops (unliklely) or the yeast (my guess).

Unfortunately the tastes don't match the aromas on this beer for me. I am not digging the yeast flavors to be completely honest. This beer has a pretty powerful taste: quite astringent (almost acidic), lemon, wheat, bitter hops, light spices as well, too much going on here for me. A sugary sweetness is out of balance for me as well, I am not into it.

I think the mouthfeel is off as well for me on this; it is thick and extremely carbonated which I am just not enjoying.

I'm not too sure what I think of this beer, I feel like I'd may need to get La Fin de Monde from Unibroue and compare side to side to see if I just don't like tripels in general, because I remember liking that beer, but I was not a fan of this one.

09-05-2010 14:18:16 | More by claspada
aquatonex

2.48/5  rDev -41.9%

Based on the other reviews, maybe I had a bad batch of this...

Pours straw yellow with a thick foamy head that dissipates pretty quickly. Well carbonated. Nose is quite strong, lots of alcohols and sweetness going on. Taste is pretty funky, like a mix of whiskey and beer. Minimal body but alcohols dominate with a sickly sweetness. Not anywhere near my favorite Tripel, but I'd try it again elsewhere to confirm.

09-10-2009 01:30:00 | More by aquatonex

Wisconsin

11-13-2012 22:17:39 | More by pathead
MisterClean

bottle from total wine

A - Light golden in color, bright white head, with good retention, but little legs.

S - Honey, heavy alcohol presence, peach, and overall perfumy.

T - Caramel, cream, slight alcohol, also slight acetaldehyde, and bananas

M - Alc way too high.

D - Good, but alcohol presence really needs to be removed.

Maybe a bad bottle.

06-13-2008 05:29:06 | More by MisterClean
crashlimo

Picked up a 750 at costco, poured into a pint glass

A: Golden yellow color. Extensive head despite very careful pouring. Looks surprisingly carbonated.

S: Smells overwhelmingly skunky. Any more pleasant tones are drown out.

T: Sweet fruity notes of bannana and cloves are buried under the skunky aroma and initial flavor. Tastes as if a heineken has been mixed with a subtle triple, and the heiny won.

M: Light annd crisp. Heavy carbonation, but refreshing nonetheless.

D: Drinks well for the ABV, as long as you don't mind the unappealing flavor (perhaps the bottle saw a bit too much light in its day).

This is the first of the style that I have roundly NOT enjoyed. Overall quite disappointing

08-16-2010 17:00:52 | More by crashlimo
JDV

2.63/5  rDev -38.4%

Rich orangish honey colored beer with very little head on it. Mildly malty, wheaty nose to it. Light but noticeable belgian yeast in the smell as well. Flavor is malty, caramelly and of light alcohol. Somewhat creamy and tastes of smooth maltiness and belgian yeast. Decent, but not for me.

03-26-2008 04:54:16 | More by JDV
Arno

2.78/5  rDev -34.9%

A: Weak yellow color, clear. Like a regular pilsener. Like pee ;) Not especially inviting.
S: Citrus fruits. Light bittering hop. Slight sour yeast. Fruity sweetness. Inviting ...
T: Not as full flavored the smell might suggest. Actually the first beer i've experienced that's ruined by the mouthfeel, killing any flavor sensation with an overload of carbonation. I do still get the citrus fruits with a good balance of sweet, bitter and sour.
M: Well, too much carbonation. I don't like the feel at all.

O: The mouthfeel just ruins it for me. Maybe it's because of the taste i had on the day, but somehow every sip i took was taken over by a lot of carbonation tingling. Also the flavor is too one dimensional. There's not much more then citrus fruits. The only good part is that you don't get any alcohol at all, which is an achievement considering the ABV.

01-08-2013 20:50:31 | More by Arno
emsroth

2.8/5  rDev -34.4%

11.2 oz bottle

App: Straw/Light gold with a slight haze. Frothy white head that quickly dissipates

Smell: I can smell it right from the pour. Sweet and sour fruit. The quintessential aroma of fruit salad covered in lemon juice.

Taste: Greeted by a rush of strong carbonation. Greeted by sweet alcoholic esters. Quickly dries to a malty crisp. Slight sweet flavor throughout. An extremely dry hop flavor with minimal bitterness. A rather subtle flavor, but I prefer a strong one.

Full mouthfeel with a strong carbonation which makes the beer unbalanced.

09-22-2009 02:07:30 | More by emsroth
canadianbarman

Alberta (Canada)

2.83/5  rDev -33.7%

--330 ml small brown bottle, freshness date stamped on back
--kind of a pale amber in color
--nice, frothy head that left very nice lacing in the glass
--a kind of sweet, floral smell from this one.

Please note: This was my first taste of this style so I have nothing to compare it to. I thought this was a good beer but am hoping that their are better out there. I will for sure give this one another try as my palate and abilities become better.
Thx

12-27-2004 05:34:28 | More by canadianbarman
steve8robin

2.83/5  rDev -33.7%

I have not found a brew that I have enjoyed in this style as of yet. I was recommended by a beer store employee that if I don't like this particular tripel, then maybe I just don't like the style. So I bought it to give tripels another try. 11.2oz bottle...

A: Super carbonated bubbles forcing their way to the surface consistently. Veyr light golden color with a thick 2 inch white head that doesn't fades very quickly at all. Holds steady for a while. Very good.

S: Has kind of a bud light scent blended with some strong wheat and oat scents. Ok.

T: I think here's the problem with this style for me. This style's flavor tastes, to me, like a higher end bud light. It has some of the same flavors that a Bud light does. This follows that for me. It has some nice tartness, wheat, and oat that shine through which separate it from msomething like a Bud, but the Bud characteristics are still in it. Guess it's just the style I do not like.

M: Very light. Does not leave many flavors on the palate. Ok.

D: Goes down super easy despite the higher ABV. Very good!

All in all, I figure I just do not like the style. Everything I have tried for Tripels has disappointed me. I hated La Fin Du Monde which so many people love and has a high rating on BA. I have not found any Tripel that I actually enjoyed. So, this just not be my style. If you do not like Tripels than avoid. Otherwise, give this brew a chance for you.

07-28-2010 02:32:35 | More by steve8robin