Tripel Karmeliet - Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Tripel |  8.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-27-2001

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tripel Karmeliet Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,229 | Hads: 3,650
4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

I opened this along with a La Fin Du Monde to compare the two, and I felt the Tripel Karmeliet easily won. Four other people did the comparison with me, and the Tripel Karmeliet won 5-0.

Appearance – A dark golden color. A good thick head that sticks around with good lacing. Champaign style bubbles.

Smell – Smell is truly amazing. I can’t place the spice, but it’s a wonderful scent. Sweet, florally, spicy, with honey.

Taste – A nice sweetness and incredible complexity that makes this one of the best tripels I’ve had.

Mouthfeel – Medium body with good carbonation. The 8.4% alcohol is very well hidden.

Drinkability – This goes down soooo well. One of the best tripels out there. (705 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

This just took my expectations, crumpled them up and threw them in the trash.
When I first took this bottle from the refrigerator case at my local wine and spirits shop, I was expecting something a lot lighter, a lot more mild.

The second I popped the cork I was hit with that incredible aroma which I am lacking the proper beer-education to describe.
I can only describe it as spicy, musky, hoppy and oh so delicious.

It poured a cloudy golden honey, with a huge, fluffy, creamy head that looked like it was better suited as a whipped topping.

The aroma from the bottle was not misleading in any way, the second it hit my tongue I knew that the flavor matched the aroma exactly and did nothing to surprise me, but nothing to disappoint either.
Crisp, light but a little heady, and a hint of alcohol that you can only detect if you make an effort to find it.
The drinkability is unmatched by any beer in this category that I have had previously... I think I'm in love.

This is now a favorite, and despite the steep price tag, I have a feeling my local liquor shop will be ordering extra cases just for me. (1,109 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

On tap at Julian's restaurant in Providence.

What a great beer! Light golden color with less than a finger head.

Great aroma- strong cloves.

Mouth feel- very smooth, complementing the style.

Taste- strong cloves, with warming-apricot-cloves.

This was my first time tasting this tripel, and it is perfect for a summer day. Very distinctive. A world class tripel. (366 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

11.2oz bottle drank from my duvel tulip. if i like this one well enough im going to run out and buy the gift set with the proper glass.

A- this one pours out of the bottle a hazy and bright golden colored body with a large bright white head on top. the head lasts for a really long time, and leaves behind large spots of lacing. pretty nice way to start off.

S- after taking a big whiff of this, the first thing i think is how fruity this smells. lots of orange/tangerine, peach, lemon, and maybe a little bit of apricot. after that i get lots of belgian yeast and malted wheat with a little bit of bread. finally i think how spicy this one seems. lots of coriander, clove, and a little bit of pepper.

T- the taste starts off with sweet malted wheat and candi sugar and a little bit of bread. after that i get a blast of spices such as clove, coriander, and black pepper. this is also one of the fruitiest tripels i have ever encountered. lots of orange/tangerine, lemon, miscellaneous citrus, and peach. maybe some apricot as well. the alcohol is completely hidden.

M- light to medium bodied with a high level of carbonation. the alcohol is pretty well hidden in this one.

D- man, i looked down after a few minutes and my beer was over half gone. this one basically drinks itself. im definitely picking up the gift set with the glass. check this one out. this is a seriously under appreciated beer that can stand up against any other beer of the style. (1,462 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

This beer poured a nice yellow color with a finger of head nd a very active bubble. The nose was spicey and tart, with some lemony acidic qualities. Very nice. The flavor was lemony and peppery, zesty. Refreshing and well balanced. The feel was crisp, nice and bubbly, drying on the finish and moerate in body. I liked the crisp feel and drying aspect. This is one of the better beers I have had recently. Everything worked really well together. This was paired with a fresh mozzerella cheese, which worked very well with it. (525 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

330ml bottle(s) courtesy of match1112. Thanks, Matt!

Pulled straight from the fridge, it pours a hazy straw yellow with a huge head of foam that seems to never want to quit growing.

What an aroma! Yeasty, spicy(pepper and clove), fruity, lemony hoppy. I'm spending a lot of time just taking in the smells.

The taste is soo complex. Peppery with a nice dose of clove, lemon and banana, yeasty, and a nice bitterness throughout. It finishes on the very dry side and pulls me in for more sips. I'm a prisoner to this marvelous brew!

Medium bodied with a rather high level of carbonation, the mouthfeel is very good and drinkability is outstanding. Yeah, that's my bottom line for Tripel Karmeliet, outstanding. (712 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

this tripel looks familiar, belgian golden with a slight haze, active carbonation and a dense white head. appearance is generic, nothing special, but it looks pretty damn good to me. smells like fruit salad. pears, apricots, grapes maybe even some ripe berries. a little spicy, just a dash, and a hint of hops and bread. mostly fruit.

oh my god this is outstanding! a nice full balanced taste, complex enough to be interesting but simple enough to easily enjoy. alright that doesn't make a lot of sense, but what i'm trying to say is - this is an easy 5. creamy smooth, delicious, the alcohol is nowhere to be seen or tasted. buttery mouthfeel, highly drinkable. (665 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

On tap at Cheeky Monk (Denver).

A - Golden amber with a huge, two-three finger head.

S - Complex nose. Lemon, coriander, yeast, spice (pepper/ coriander). I could smell this for hours!

T - Sweet malts/ grains. Floral, malty with light hops. Yeast dryness in finish.

O - Fantastic beer. Very complex nose and flavors with light finish (337 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

Gorgeous gold tint, with a feisty white head that seemed to last. An enticing spicy fragrance augmented by distinct pear and clove. The flavor told a delicious story, beginning with a quick bite of spice, followed by a smooth fruity plateau, and ending with a soothingly warm finish. Significant carbonation, medium-bodied, perfect balance. As far as tripels go, this is my current favorite, and I will drink it every chance I get. I compared it to the Allagash and found Karmeliet to be superior in its complexity, taste and character. (536 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

My favorite tripel to be sure.

Appearance: Wonderfully clear straw gold with rising streamers of effervescent carbonation. Huge white dollup of whip cream on top. Retention is perfect. Lacing is gorgeous. Carbonation is champagne like.

Nose is complicated with farmyard grains, lemons, poppy seeds, cardamom, peach syrup, apricots, canned mandarin oranges, vanilla, medicinal alcohols, etc…

Tastes takes all the qualities of the nose, adds mango, soda, more spices, pepper, and a mild astringent finale. All are perfectly balanced with one another.

Mouthfeel is smooth yet lively and very full.

Drinkability is out of this world. 8%...no way.

I love it, love it, love it. (691 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Cloudy gold with a huge rocky bright white head. Looks outstanding.
S: all kinds of fruit, mainly pears and apples. A nice candy smell with some slight astringentcy. Balanced and perfect.
T: follows nosr perfectly. Slight pepper flavor with some acidity. Nice sweet fruit flavor which blends seemlessly with nice biscuity notes. Loving this.
M: medium to high carbonation but a slight body. Finishes so nicely. Great aftertaste that leaves you wanting more.
O: go buy it. Extremely quaffable and leaves you wanting more. Enjoy it any time of year. (550 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

This one came in a 750ml. green bottle with a silk-screened main label, front/rear and a foil/paper neck label with a Best before date of: 16/03/08.

In taking the cage off the cork...Pa-thunk...the cork shot into my hand instantly! Be careful with this one...tons of carbonation. It poured into my 0.4L New Belgium (Rastal crystal) goblet a bright cloudy gold like honey, with a huge white fluffy, ultra tight and thick head. The head grows and turns rocky...the carbonation keeps the head alive and well through-out the entire tasting of this brew. The lacing is also rather thick, the champagne-like bubbles just keep on rising till the end.

The initial smell is sweet and spicy with stone-fruit flavors coming through strong. Some banana, green apple, yeast, candi-sugar and alcohol ever present in this pleasant aroma. Light, grassy hops bring up the tail end of the nose here.

The flavor...Wow...the flavor! Tasty triple if there ever was one. Lots of sweet and fruity complex flavors through-out the entire 750ml. bottle of excellence. This is truly one of the best tasting triple's I've ever had...nicely done.

Very well balanced big body brew with great flavor and the alcohol skillfully hidden...I highly recommend this brew as a great example of this style, and a very tasty one at that! (1,310 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Purchased at the same time as a Kwak, which is apparently from the same brewer...after drinking that I was very skeptical about this one, but this is one hell of a beer.

Exhumed from the bottle, this baby pours out a much lighter hue than i'd expected, almost more canary yellow than gold. No visible floaters anywhere, even to the end of the bottle. This has to be bottle conditioned, right?

In my wife's wine glass and my chalice foam is everywhere! This is one heady beer...literally a pillow stack of 3-4" for a considerable amount of time, and Brussel's ghosts floating around the glass.

The nose is relatively uninviting - a light whiff of skunk that subsides and a sweet, expected sugar profile. Clove and grassy hops prick my sensory excitement. An almost Duvelian aroma that is somewhere between spice and cutting citrus.

The taste of this baby is absolutely heavenly. Smooth, slick mouthfeel with those resounding hop tongue prickles. Its like drinking a pillow in heaven - just gets better and smoother the further down the bottle drains. Strangely delicious burps.

Wow, this one is hellacious. Just wish I could get it around here more often. (1,169 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Somehow this made its way into a liquor store in downtown Vancouver, and the medieval label with Dutch script caught my eye.

Pours a slightly cloudy gold with tons of frothy white head. Head leaves little lacing but sticks around forever.

Has a very light smell; mostly of malted wheat and bananas.

Tastes very unique; there is a strong citrusy (grapefruit?) presence, almost like a mixture of oranges and lemons. The oats are rather noticeable and makes the beer's taste very different in a good way. Alcohol is noticeable but not overpowering. Cloves are present in the background.

Goes down crisp and clean, almost like a normal lager. Very easy drinking. (662 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Tasted on an all Belgian-style night.
11.2 split between Tripel Karmeliet & Unibroue Tulips

A ~ Hazy apricot with a good amount of puffy marshmallow-like head, fading into a low mound of tight, medium beading lasting the length of the beer. Amazing lacing & exceptional retention. Beauty.

S ~ Very lush wheat and faint yeast that fades into grass and kumquat-like citrus.

T ~ Holy cow, what a Tripel. Peaches, strawberries, & passion-fruit run the show; But there are delicate notes of ginger, sassafras, fresh wheat, kumquat & yeast throughout. Never overly phenolic of ester-y at any point, and there is a hint of melon rind & rosewater that really adds an unmatched uniqueness to this brew.

M ~ Not too heavy. Starts prickly...turns very soft & floral. Amazing amount of balance.

D ~ VERY enjoyable Tripel with amazing floral qualities I have never tasted before. Not too phenolic with incredible balance and character that makes one want to sip & sip & sip. Would buy again & again.

Fantastic beer.

Cheers. (1,018 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Had this at Sacks restaurant in Anchorage, AK with a nice rack of lamb and other side plates (by the way, best food in Alaska to date that I have tried). $7.50 a bottle, a bit higher than those below who had the opportunity to try this wonder. At this price, and in its little 330 ml bottle, I have to admit I was intrigued.

Poured smoothly into a tulip glass, medium-heavy head, which gentled out after a few long minutes. Goldenly color, no visible sediment.

Smelled of light citrusy fruit - I first marked as an apricot-mango mixture.

Taste - the best aspect of this beer, purely exceptional with vanilla notes hidden in the mainly creamy flavor. I'd like to say there are also very very slight hints of caramel, but mainly this triple tasted of apricot and mango fruits. This triple is unlike other belgians I have had in that it truly hides the strong 8.4%, I could not taste the alcohol.

Mouthfeel - mild mild carbonation that lets you know it's still a beer, this baby smoothes your buds.

Drink - absolutely perfect, would enjoy this all night if possible. (1,068 characters)

Brouwerij Bosteels Tripel Karmeliet:

Rushing carbonation in a sea of crystal clear gold…sitting in my Duvel tulip, she is absolutely stunning under her thick and gossamer-light two inch blanket of rich heady foam. She’s as creamy as bread pudding, with hints of vanilla and lemon…a long, astringent finish completes a beautiful experience. Out-freakin’-standing Tripel, and about as drinkable as they come.

Note: 2nd pour from this 750mL has all kinds of floaties in it…and while the appearance of this pour takes a severe hit, other characteristics remain divine (though a bit more spice in the finish).

Cheers… (628 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Though I've enjoyed this beer on several occasions, including two memorable times with friends in Bruges on Global Beer Tour 2006, this report is on my most recent try.

This past Saturday, my wife and I stayed at the Cannery Pier Hotel near the mouth of the Columbia River in Astoria, OR. From the balcony of our room we could watch the 10am arrival of a large freighter heading up-river, and for that occasion we popped open a big 75cl bottle of Triple Karmeliet. Gorgeous silk-screened green bottle we'd picked up last summer for a bargain price of $4.50 (mis-marked?) at John's in Portland. After unwrapping the cage, the cork almost blew through the ceiling with a very soft push (good thing my eye wasn't in front of it...). A slow gusher of carbonated fizz followed...

A: Hazy golden-wheat color with ample floating yeast sediment. The creamiest & densest white head, rising pour after pour, to over two-fingers high. Sticky rings of lace, a curtain of froth.

S: Tantalizing dry apple, yeast and slight spices.

T: Oh my, as many times as I've enjoyed this beer, it never ceases to amaze me with how delicious it is. The perfect combination of 3 grains (wheat, oats, barley) with the taste of earthy yeast, crispy apples & pears and an herbal, wildflower honey-like spiciness. Wonderfully complex, ever evolving in the mouth, a joy to drink.

M: Lovely, creamy mouthfeel. Crisp, tingly carbonation and a pleasantly bitter finish. Some ever-so-slight alcohol warmth from the 8% abv.

D: A delicious, 'all-star' beer and so very drinkable. Well-balanced between sweet maltiness and a more bitter finish. Excellent mouthfeel. Very highly recommended! (1,669 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Alas, after a short stint of reviewing some of the worst beers possible, I am restoring my faith in brewing with a bottle of Karmeliet.

It pours a rich golden color with a foamy off white head. Not quite the silky top I look for in a Belgian Tripel. Not much lacing either.

The nose is quite complex and will take some warming to be appreciated. Right now, I find spicy Belgian yeasts and peppery alcohol over a bed of ripe tropical and citrus fruits. Some honey grians and candy malts as well.

I was a bit reluctant to drop $5 on a beer I could get for a Euro at a grocery store in Belgium, but this was well worth it. A complex flavor profile that should be enjoyed between cellar and room temperature. As a rainbow of flavors hits my palate, I try to comprehend what I am tasting. I detect a base of bready malts with a salad of buttery sweet yet tart and tangy fruits. Spicy Belgian yeasts and hops blend together perfectly with peppery alcohols.

The velvety mouthfeel compliments the beer perfectly. It has a full body that passes over the tounge like silk. Fine carbonation is present, but does not get in the way.

This well balanced ale presents so much yet lets nothing stand out. I need to find out how to get a keg of this stuff. Delicious. (1,258 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

07 HJ on the back, 330ml brown bottle into maudite snifter.

A - this brew looks magnificent. the body is a bright, clear, bubbly apple juice colour, martinelli's to be specific. the head is big, fluffy, and bright white. the body is a great colour, and the turbidity is good too; it is very transparent, but one cannot see through the body itself, only light is seen, no images. the head falls at a reasonable rate, and leaves some lacing, and a full layer of foam over the top.

S - this is one of the best smelling and strongest smelling tripels I have ever had. wow, where to start. the top notes are of golden malts and some crisp apples and ripe pears; the fruitiness is exceptional, as is the character of the malts. there is a very light underlying spiciness that is blended in perfectly with the malts, which tend to dominate over it. the spiciness is most identifiable as a light pepper. there is also a medium sized character of citrus and honey, though the pear/apple-malt combination tends to overwhelm it. the mid ground is characterized by this honey like sweetness. perhaps some of the alcohol can be smelled one the brew begins to warm.

T - the initial taste is malty, slightly sweet, a bit bitter, and onehundred percent delicious. this barley wheat oat combination is superb, the malts taste so incredibly smooth and consistent. all of the flavours are distinct and very up front with their flavour. first the apple pear combinaiton comes out, using the pears sweetness and the tartness of granny smith apples, this bitter sweetness stays as the hops introduce a more herbal type of bitterness. the finish is sweet, carbonated, and dry. the alcohol comes out most clearly in the finish, it affords a spicy and almost grainy flavour. the aftertaste is more subdued, but then at times it is quite reminding. the aftertaste is primarily malty, with a bit of the bittersweet combination of the pears and apples. the only reason this doesnt get top marks is probably because it was missing some of that certain flavour which is indicative of the style. maybe it comes from the yeast, i dont know, but it just didnt have that concentrated tripel flavour during the finish.

MF&D - the feel is perfect, what can I say. great amounts of small scale carbonation with a medium body. smooth, creamy, mouthcoating: this beer is the perfect embodiment of these characteristics. the carbonation goes down so well for its abundance, it is quite hard to believe. (2,466 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +11.1%

Taken from notes. Poured into tulip. Reviewed on 4-10-2009. Reviewed under medium low artificial light. Served cold.

Aroma: How perfumy this brew is... Very intense aroma with notes of grains, roses, lime and intense bubblegum aroma on the front. On the back theres some faint coriander seeds, oats and banana. Definitely one of the most enjoyable beer aromas i've experienced. Just insanely complex.

Appearance: Pours a golden / orangy brew with two thinger frothy white head. Medium perceived effervescence. The foam eventually collapses into thick cap. Mild lacing.

Taste: Very complex and layered. Intensely flavored. Taste of spices, banana, oats, bubblegum and citrus. Some butter and clove aswell on the back. Delightful.

Palate: Low bitterness. Medium full body. Medium low carbonation. Starts crips and ends smoothly. Finishes sweet leaving a lingering bubblegum flavor. Excellent structure overall.

Drinkability: Balanced, alcohol barely noticeable. Any price is a good price for this gem. But most important of all this a beer that is not only true to style but also transcends it. Unique. (1,106 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just drank this last night in celebration of my new job, and I decided to take some notes.

Poured from a 25.4 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Much more pale than I was expecting, the color was a cloudy blonde, with yeast particles still settling from the bottle conditioning. The three-finger head quickly settled to a clingy lace.

The smell of this beer is reason enough to drink it. A rush of fruits, including apricot, lemon, and what almost seemed like strawberry, are most prominent. A buttery scent accompanies it, the product of whatever yeast is being used in this bottle. All the adjectives in the world won't do any justice to the aromas of this brew, so I'll stop trying and get on to the taste.

Like the nose, the taste is first rate, a rarity in that it is both complex and satisfying. There was very little carbonation in my bottle, which left plenty of room for the flavors to breathe. The alcohol is hidden beneath a buttery oakiness that is most reminiscent of a chardonnay. The bottle says that oats were used in the brewing, and they help to keep the honey-like sweetness just subdued enough to not be cloying. The beer finishes with a gentle wash of lemon-pepper and spiciness. As the beer warms, the alcohol becomes somewhat more present, but not distractingly so.

The buttery notes from the nose and flavor also lend themselves to the texture of this beer, smoothing out any edges. It's very full, without being too syrupy or heavy, which would ruin a beer of this style.

Simply put, I spent about two hours on my one bottle, not because it was difficult to drink, but to savor it. Again, this is one of the beautifully balanced beers I've tasted. It's rich and complex, and had there been more, I'm not sure I could have prevented myself from drinking it. (1,782 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

One of me personal favourites

Pours a golden brew with a big attractive head that stays put for some time and later changes into a foamy layer. Nice retention. Beautiful.
The aroma is is filled with spices, floral notes and citrus fruits.
The taste is delicious. Spicy, complex with coriander, lots of fruits and some notes of alcohol. Delicious!
Mouthfeel is once again excellent. The beer is well carbonated and goes down very smoothly.

Very refreshing, but with a kick. I've had this one several times and it managed to amaze me time after time. A most excellent beer. (581 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great tasting triple. Sharing the 750ml bottle was perfect. The bartender poured it poorly and had 2 inches of head. After I couldn't wait any longer to try it, I took a mouthful of foam and then got to the delicious beer.
Great taste rolling around in the mouth followed by a very enjoyable finish. (300 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy golden-yellow with a big frothy head, served in a Duvel tulip. Sweet, yeasty aroma. Taste is incredible! Sweet, malty, spicy; a tremendous blend of flavors. Alcohol gives a little pleasant warmth without being overpowering. Incredibly drinkable Tripel. (259 characters)

Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels