Tripel Karmeliet - Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Tripel |  8.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-27-2001

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tripel Karmeliet Alström Bros

3.04/5  rDev -29%

OK, I can only assume this big green bottle of golden goodness (seriously, aren't green bottles taboo in beer circles?) was mishandled, as there was a TON of crap floating around in this beer. However, I poured as carefully as possible, and ran the last 2-3 inches of the bottle (not the final cm or 2) through a coffee filter, for the final pour.

This was a bottle I got for Christmas 05, and has been stored in a cool dark place since then. I split the bottle with my brother, a budding beer snob. A quick whif of the bottle after removing the cork smelled like skunked heineken. Fighting my urge to pour the bottle into the sink, i poured a little bit into a chalice-y type glass (no glass 'flute' to hold...more of a red wine kind of thing), which produced a thick white head. A sip revealed the beer was still good, just a bit off in odor.

Taste was thick, with lots of citrus and yeasty tones. I wouldn't say I could taste more of one citrus over any other, though there were no sharp tastes (a la grapefruit in an ipa), but they were well balanced by the yeasty flavors, as well.

Basically, I want to try this beer again, as I think it was pretty good. Especially with the suspicion that the bottle may have been around too long, or mishandled at some point, I think it says a lot that it was still a solid experience.

(edit: I just saw the picture...my bottle looked NOTHING like that...green glass with graphics applied directly on a translucent label.... did I have a really OLD bottle, or did I have a NEWly redesigned bottle? Anyone know?)

3.04/5  rDev -29%

Appearance - 750 ml green bottle. Pours a clear golden color, with a white head. Highly carbonated.

Smell - The aroma is almost honey-sweet. No hop nose on this beer. Something about the aroma reminds me of cheap American lagers. This is not a good thing. There is also a slightly skunky aroma - blame that on the green bottle.

Taste - I appear to have gotten an old bottle. The taste is more or less true tripel - sort of a light, caramely sweet taste, but it is not fresh. Alcohol flavor creeps in as the beer warms. I also detect a grassy flavor.

Mouthfeel - Thick, yet smooth. Appropriate for the style.

Drinkability - Due to the flawed aroma and flavor, this beer is not as drinkable as I would have liked.

Comments - For $7 a bottle, I wish that the brewers would have had the sense to put this beer in a brown bottle. The label says that it wona Gold Medal at the World Beer Cup. I'm guessing that if you can get this fresh, it could be much better.

3.07/5  rDev -28.3%

This 750 ml corked and caged green glass bottle was purchased in April at Pere Marquette Expeditions in Ludington, MI, supposedly on the same day that it came in. However, if I'm reading the "best before" date correctly as December 21, 2010 then this is quite an old bottle. Shame on you, local distributor. This bottle is being served at 50 degrees Fahrenheit and is being poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

The cork comes off easily and a lively stream of champagne-like bubbles rushes to the surface, aggravating the layer of sediment at the bottom of the bottle, effectively distributing it back into the beer. A moderate pour into the glass yields an explosive two-finger head. An effervescent stream of bubbles aggressively ascends from the nucleation point of the glass, the likes of which I have not seen in this particular vessel. As a result, head retention is very good. Patchy lacing sticks to the wall of the glass. The beer is light-golden in hue, and apart from the chunky sediment now reintroduced into the beer, it looks very clear. The sediment is an unfortunate detriment to an otherwise fine looking brew.

The aroma is giving off mostly lactic sour notes, though a tempered wheaty snap waits subversively in the wings. It is a little peppery and closer examination reveals faint remnant of the classic banana and clove combo. The scent of solvent-like alcohol eventually surfaces. Mostly however, it smells like lambic or perhaps saison. This is my first experience with Tripel Karmeliet, and I was not expecting a sour by any description on the label. Could it be a pleasant surprise, or perhaps an unfortunate infection?

Though the taste is not overtly sour, there seems to be something amiss with this bottle. Again, this is my first experience with this beer so I won't know for sure until the next one. On the front end, sweet tropical fruitiness dominates. There are hints of pineapple, but those hints are quickly overtaken by a banana flavor so intense and artificial, you'd swear that you were drinking Laffy Taffy. It blends into a solvent-like alcohol flavor that has obviously mellowed with age, but is still potent enough to be off-putting. As expected, there is no apparent hop bitterness; but this beer is in desperate need of something to balance, or at least challenge, the onslaught of banana. Now I'm kind of wishing that it was a sour.

As a bright point, I must say that this beer feels really good in the mouth. The velvety feel of alcohol gives this a nice weight that isn't too heavy. The violent carbonation had spent itself within minutes. Thus, the stinging carbonic bite I was expecting simply did not manifest. It warms the throat, perhaps a touch more than I would care for. However, it's not a deal-breaker.

This is one odd tripel. If you had given this to me blindly and told me that it was malt liquor, I would say "Bravo! This is fantastic." However as an authentic Belgian tripel it is an unbalanced mess and a disappointment to boot. On top of that, it had me all fooled into thinking I was going to be treated to a nice gueuze, which I am now craving. At $11 a bottle, there are much better triples to be had, but I am also inclined to give this one a second chance. After all, if I am reading the date correctly, this beer is a year and a half beyond peak freshness.

3.09/5  rDev -27.8%

Weird like 333 ml bottle, 11oz or something. Murky yellow orange haze. Banana aroma. Some other weird clove and spice combination. Very tiny bubbles.

Taste was dry and sweet, filled mouth up with bubbles, this was too carbonated. Too much stuff a standard American hophead won't really appreciate. Just a weird pharmacuetical grade astringency was what I took away from this.

3.13/5  rDev -26.9%

A - Brilliantly clear golden straw. White head that lasts and leaves the Belgian lace. Beautiful beer, but it did explode and ran over after popping the cork, and almost seems too clear to be a tripel...

S - Nice pepper aroma mostly, with light, sweet citrus and pears.

T - Oh. It seems like almost too much going on here. All of the aroma notes are present. Especially the pepper. Sour, sweet. It really doesn't seem to taste like any "standard" tripel. Good thing or poor categorization? I'm also not convinced that I didn't get a skunked bottle. Stupid green bottles.

M - I want to believe this is medium bodied, but it is so carbonated that it turns to foam in my mouth. This makes way too thin bodied.

D - The whole carbonation issue is a problem for me, as well as the clean-but-somehow-muddled flavor.

This isn't a bad beer, but I really didn't enjoy the experience. I would rather call this a Strong Golden or Belgian Specialty. I'll stick with the classic tripels.

3.16/5  rDev -26.2%

3.18/5  rDev -25.7%

Pours a dark to medium gold color, with a huge head on the pour with excellent retention. This is going to take a while. (My girlfriend says it is the color of the amber that they extract the dinosaur DNA from in Jurassic Park). The smell is very piney, not in a hoppy way, but somewhat juniper berries. Taste is very sweet, probably overly. Very tart, and somewhat one dimensional. Complexity and shifting flavors are really missing from this beer. Too metallic, and the sweetness is still getting to me. Mouthfeel is fine, but this is somewhat of a dissapointment.

3.18/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured from the 750ml bottle - the cork was a bitch to extract. Into the Duvel tulip it goes. Innocuous gold, a ton of bubbles rising up. Requisite large foamy head.

Aroma was yeasty as soon as I popped the cork, similar to many other Belgian golden ales. Some peppery character, some melon rind. Nice, but nothing too out of the ordinary if you're used to blonde Belgians. This could be any number of Belgian Strong Pales.

While this is tasty in a very general way, I'm left kinda flat. Not quite sweet, not quite dry. Not too complex, not too phenolic...you know, just not very tripel-like. Interesting that there are oats in here as well as wheat and barley, and indeed, there's certainly a grainy malt bill. Maybe a little cinnamon, if I stretch, but to me this tastes like a generic Belgian Strong Pale.

Feel is a little raspy, nothing unexpected. I was hoping the oats would yield a smoother feel, akin to an oatmeal stout, but no dice.

Drinkability is only average. I was expecting more from the brewers of DeuS. To me, this tastes like a beginner Belgian strong ale, though I do see many reviewers who would disagree with me.

3.2/5  rDev -25.2%

No thanks for this one. I thought this one was waaay to sweet. It had the similar elements of most Belgians, but much more sweeter. I also noticed the ever present element of skunk, which was present in the taste, as well as the smell. I was not happy with this one and just consider this one a mark in the "L" column.

3.21/5  rDev -25%

Pours out light yehoow and sits amber in the glass with a good sized white fluffy head. Great sticking power with wonderful lacings. Some of the best head retention I've ever seen.

Smell is all about the spice, just swirls around you nostrils and tickles the back of your nose. Sweet and malty with a hint of lemon/grassiness peeking out.

Taste is quite peppery to be fair. Lightly sweet and dry on the finish. Medium amount of bitterness, with a light backing of alcohol.

Pretty light in the mouth with a truckload of carbonation. Scratchy going down, leaving your wondering why you should be trying to mouth it down.

3.23/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Originally sampled on 4 August 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
Appearance: This beer has a Huge frothy white head. It is Clear golden colored, like a pilsener.
Aroma: nothing jumps out at me, but then again, I don't have a great sense of smell
Flavor: It has a rich, sweet taste w/ some yeastiness.

Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels