Follow our progress ...

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels
Belgium | website

Style: Tripel

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.

Added by kbub6f on 04-27-2001

Reviews: 1,288 | Ratings: 3,944
4.71/5  rDev +11.1%

My goodness what a brew

Pours a murky orange gold with a giant fluffy white head, leaves impressive lacing, the head begins to settle, when it reaches about 1cm it stays there for the duration

Fresh malts up front with honey, cloves, cardimon, cardimon, pear and orange peel

The taste follows the nose with a faint spirity taste and some belgian pepper there is also almost a buttery flavor aswell, fantastic

Crisp and surprisingly creamy for the style

This is an absolutely exceptional beer, the best tripel I have ever had bar none

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

Finally reviewing one of my favorite beers. Had on tap at the soft opening of the new beer bar in town, TAPS Petaluma!!!

Nice straw color to the pour. Delivered in the gorgeous Karmeliet tulip. I was not too pleased about the head on the brew as I've always drank this beer with a solid three to four fingers of fluffy white head, but this one has zero head. Probably just a newbie pouring- I can move past this

Lovely aroma on this one. That great Belgian funk just wafts out of the tulip anchoring a melee of brewing spices. Coriander perhaps? Certainly hints of citrus come to the fore along with some notes of clove.

Solid mouthfeel- a little lacking in the carbonation department, though I imagine this is due to the pour. Does have that nice , surprising triple thickness that is reserved for the style.

The taste of this brew is so nice and crisp. Love the sweetness of the beer coupled with the lemony zest of the citrus notes, there just has to be some orange peel in this guy. Mmmmm, good.

Great drinkability. A real asskicker in that you can down gallons of this stuff and not realize it packs an 8.4% wallop. One of my perennial favorites. Cheers to Belgian Triples and Cheers to TAPS.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

I've been on a Belgian Tripel binge lately, and I decided to continue it by buying this brew. I bought the large single bottle.

Poured into a deep, wide wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a semi-hazy, golden color. I am immediately impressed by the incredibly strong head this beer has after a gentle pour. Literally, it takes up half of the wine glass. Accordingly, the lacing on the edges is very strong. The amount of carbonation in this brew is also fascinating, and is probably responsible for the huge head. The bubbles are just racing to the top of the glass. Overall, this beer has made a strong first impression on me.

Smell: What's strange is that when I first uncorked the bottle, the brew had a skunky smell to it. However, after pouring and letting the beer settle, the characteristic altered dramatically. The beer has a fruity smell, consisting primarily of pears and citrus. There is also the typical all-spice smell that I have come to expect from Belgian Tripels. Overall, this is a very pleasant, floral smell that I quite enjoy.

Taste: The flavor is intense, complex, and nuanced. We begin with a blast of fruit flavor involving something between a pear and a kiwi, which quickly recedes from my pallet. It is followed by a malty character which transitions from the intense sweetness into a subtle taste intermixed with spices. It finishes with a crisp, grain taste that leaves little to no aftertaste. This complexity intrigues me, as this Belgian fades away quickly, unlike others which grab your tongue and hold on tight.

Mouthfeel: Light, slick, and full of carbonation. However, the carbonation balances the profile of this brew, and certainly aids in the crisp, refreshing finish. A winning combination.

Drinkability: These are smooth and creamy, and they go down quickly. This, combined with the 8% ABV makes for a dangerous combination.

The Belgian style continues to impress me. This brew is highly recommended.

3.13/5  rDev -26.2%

A - Brilliantly clear golden straw. White head that lasts and leaves the Belgian lace. Beautiful beer, but it did explode and ran over after popping the cork, and almost seems too clear to be a tripel...

S - Nice pepper aroma mostly, with light, sweet citrus and pears.

T - Oh. It seems like almost too much going on here. All of the aroma notes are present. Especially the pepper. Sour, sweet. It really doesn't seem to taste like any "standard" tripel. Good thing or poor categorization? I'm also not convinced that I didn't get a skunked bottle. Stupid green bottles.

M - I want to believe this is medium bodied, but it is so carbonated that it turns to foam in my mouth. This makes way too thin bodied.

D - The whole carbonation issue is a problem for me, as well as the clean-but-somehow-muddled flavor.

This isn't a bad beer, but I really didn't enjoy the experience. I would rather call this a Strong Golden or Belgian Specialty. I'll stick with the classic tripels.

2.79/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

A: Weak yellow color, clear. Like a regular pilsener. Like pee ;) Not especially inviting.
S: Citrus fruits. Light bittering hop. Slight sour yeast. Fruity sweetness. Inviting ...
T: Not as full flavored the smell might suggest. Actually the first beer i've experienced that's ruined by the mouthfeel, killing any flavor sensation with an overload of carbonation. I do still get the citrus fruits with a good balance of sweet, bitter and sour.
M: Well, too much carbonation. I don't like the feel at all.

O: The mouthfeel just ruins it for me. Maybe it's because of the taste i had on the day, but somehow every sip i took was taken over by a lot of carbonation tingling. Also the flavor is too one dimensional. There's not much more then citrus fruits. The only good part is that you don't get any alcohol at all, which is an achievement considering the ABV.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Taken from notes. Had this on draft at Birreria Paradiso in DC a few months back.

A: A clear yellow brew with a nice thick head, that quickly dissipated.

S: Sweetness, lightness, goodness - with no bitterness.

T: Initially effervescent with light citrus, some sweet malt on the tongue, fairly dry and not too complex.

M: Thick, creamy, bubbly on the tongue, dry.

D: I don't know about this one... it's certainly a nice tripel, but it's not very complex or dynamic - you drink it, flavor hits the tongue, and it's gone - nothing really gives it much to get you interested in drinking a lot more.

4.66/5  rDev +9.9%

Had one on tap at the Hopleaf in Chicago, served in the triple Karmeliet big tulip glass.

Great looking beer with it's pale/straw color and big white head.

Smells like sweets oats, orange spices, and light coriander.

Sweet orange spice taste, very smooth and balenced nice dry finish. This a delicious beer that will not let you down. High carbination,yet has a smooth mouth feel.

A very drinkable beer. A must try.

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%

A - clear light gold/darker yellow. Rapid stream of bubbles that create a thick firm head of tight bubbles.

S - Bready malt. Spicy phenolics. A little fruity, but pretty clean smelling.

T - Sweet pilsner malt. Belgian spiciness. Orangy fruitiness. Subdued pepperiness. Noticeable alcohol, but not "hot". Pretty clean and not too cloying, but maybe a little bit too much on the sweet side.

M - Mostly dry. High carbonation. Alcohol warmth

D - classic belgian sample. Tasty.

4.41/5  rDev +4%

Drank from a tulip glass

A - Clear like a light beer, maybe a hair darker. Very miniscule cloudiness. The pour resulted in a very tall head. A very appealing look.

S - I don't love the smell. It slightly reminds me of a skunked beer smell. This made me hesitant to taste the beer assuming that it may have been stored poorly at the liquor store. However, after a swirl or two I could smell slight sweet aromas and a nice spice hint. It could be stronger.

T - Wow, not what I was expecting at all. The smell greatly mislead me. Delicious. It is sweet with a spice finish. Also, it is super smooth and leaves a lingering sweetness.

M - Smooth. Medium carbonation. Light body.

D - Slam dunk. This beer would be enjoyable in almost any situation. I could relax after a stressful day with it or kick a couple back on a nice evening.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

The color was a hazy straw blond, aided by the wheat and oats if I were taking a stab at it. There was a substantially striking plump white head. The aroma was fruity, slightly citrus like, with a tiny bit of spice and flowers. The flavors were nice with a reserved malt character, almost pasta like, along with citrus fruit and spice that strikes me a touch like lemon pepper with some nice hop bitter thrown in. The alcohol is wonderfully deceiving in this beer. Spritely, active carbonation and a medium body with a fairly dry finish.

3.89/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours a beautiful clear gold with a huge beautiful thick white head with nice lacing.

mmm aroma of belgian yeast, floral tones, citrus, fruits -

tastes of citrus, floral, fruits, chalky character that fellow taster pointed out, very tart and sweet but the spiciness that others have been perceiving seemed to be lacking in this one.

I need to buy another one and review it - interrupted by family a bit and this beer was a little past the best by date.

4.19/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smell: tangerines and herbs: the green kind

Taste: a champagne-like body with herbs, sweet citrus (probably tangerines), limes, hops, honey notes, and hints of malt

This was the first REAL beer I've ever had, so I may be slightly sentimental over the whole thing. With that being said, this beer is fantastic! What I love most about it is how different the flavors are from each bottle; age indeed does make this beer universally great, however.

Pair this beer honey smoked salmon over a rice pilaf, or get a smoked spicy sausage with sauerkraut, caramelized onions, and smoked peppers for some contrast

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked this bottle up a local grocery store, I checked the ratings on beer advocate and was pleasantly surprised. So the next time I went in I picked it up. I poured into a tulip and it made a very large head.

Appearance - It was pale golden in color, a bit off from the typical Tripel orange color.

Smell - I pick up quite a bit of Brett funk and it smells pretty funky. Immediately following that I pick up on the usual tripel smells.

Taste - A bit of the dry saison taste followed by strong coriander trippel notes. There is a lot of complexity here that I was not at all expecting.

Mouthfeel - A whole lot of carbonation, which I very much like. It has a nice effervescence to it.

Overall - A great beer that strikes me more as a fusion between a saison and a trippel. It wasn't what I was at all expecting, but it was a very nice experience.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

On tap, poured in a 12oz tulip
pours crisp golden with a bit of haze. 1 1/2" rich fluffy head. Aromas of clove spice and fruits, a bit of alcohol.
Taste is very smooth with a full yeast flavor and a long crisp finish. Carbonation is superb!
This is a fantastic beer!

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured this into a pint glass and the fun immediately began. The head is voracious and I was only able to pour about half the bottle before I need to let it rest for a bit. Huge pillowy white head on top of a slightly hazed bright straw colored beer.

The aroma coming off this one is truly incredible if you enjoy the Belgian style beers. Very sweet notes, some fruity esters and a slight hint of alchohol all perfectly blended together.

Taste was wonderful. Semi-sweet with a touch of maltiness in there. A small alchohol warmth finishes a swallow beautifully. There is a nice amount of carbonation to play across you tongue in every sip. I took my time with this beer, probably drinking the bottle over the course of 45 minutes or so and the last sip still had foam covering it up.

This is one beer I could drink a lot of and am really wishing I had more on hand. I got my bottle from BuckeyeNation, so thanks go out! Thankfully I discovered a boutique store that carries this fine beverage and it will regularly fit into the rotation.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a golden color into my Urthel glass. 2 finger head with many carbonation bubbles fling upward. Look beautiful.

Smells funky with a little fruit.

Tastes of a funky with some spice finishes dry.

Feels full of fizzy carbonation which dies down as it breaths. Some what light to medium body.

This is a good beer not my favoate trip but nice to drink

4.36/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a fluffy and sturdy gold with a pure white one-inch head that stuck around for longer than most. It never completely dissipates so there is a constant quarter-inch of creaminess. Medium amount of lacing. It has a very interesting look because of the lasting head and retention. Aroma is crisp wheat and banana, even a bit grassy. I catch a scent similar to noble hops as well. A great tasting brew that is crisp and wheaty. Banana, citrusy, and buttery flavors dominate. A very creamy feel with moderate carbonation and not a heavy brew at all for 8.4% abv. Tripel Karmeliet is just downright quality and a mastered blend of grains that gives you one of the best Tripels on Earth.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

I fell in love with this beer the first time that I tasted it.

Pours a great glass with a wonderful head.

The citrus element on the nose and in the taste provides a perfect complement to this sweet brew.

Extraordinarily tasty and complex at the same time.

For $6.99 a bottle -- what a bargain!!!

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

Appearance - Burnished golden brown with a ample and dense head of very small white bubbles.

Aroma - Ripe apples and pears, banana followed by juicy malt. Subsequent sips reveal cooked fruit, a candy floss like caramelised sugar note and even a whiff of mint!

Taste - Powerful citrus and lemony hops/wheat malt mixed with a roasted barley malt flavour. More cooked fruit and caramelised sugar, finishing with obvious warming alcohol and a medicinal sourness.

Mouthfeel - Slightly overcarbonated, surprsingly light for its strength and taste.

Overall - It has all the right ingredients to be a quality abbey beer, however, it lacked something for me. Perhaps more fresh hoppiness or less carbonation and sourness. When broken down, each part of it is good but together, the experience just doesnt sit well with me.

Perhaps I need to try another bottle to get a more rounded experience.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a green bottle into a chalice.

Appears a glowing golden yellow, almost like Mountain Dew! Great head- a thick pillow at least three fingers thick of big bubbles.

Smell is Belgian farmhouse funk- hay and some sweet fruit- apples or pears maybe?

Tastes great- lots of yeasty character, sweet fruits like juicy apples.

Could definately drink more than one glass of this, and I did!

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

On draft at Gastropub 775 in Reno, NV on July 26 2011

Pours a translucent honey gold color with light head and beautiful lacing.

The is sweet but not cloying and, like any good tripel, was not hot at all.

There was very light carbonation. I wish it was a little thicker and creamier but this was true to the style.

This beer was great and dangerously sessionable.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

Wonderfully drinkable tripel, without being too cloying or syrupy.

Tastes of spicy, peppery fruit (pear or apple) with cloves and herbs.

Wonderful mouth feel. Very refeshing and clean. Carbonation is well balanced (not too heavy like Duvel).

Smooth, mellow, very drinkable and enjoyable beer.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from bomber into oversized wineglass.

A- Hazy golden-wheat body, lively uniformed carbonation, poured a 2 finger creamy white head that settled quickly into a nice thin cap. A little bit of lacing but not much.

S- The aroma really opened up more as it settled. Bananas, yeast and spice, clove, some pear, sweet malt, some floral notes and a pinch of breadiness before the nose opened up. You can pick up on the alcohol a bit more too as it settles.

T- I didn't know what to think on the first sip, but this triple really opens up! The palate follows the nose... Pears and banana, mild spice and yeast, sweet malt, some clove and a little alcohol on the finish. Not overwhelming though, it is very bittersweet and well composed. The flavor really covers up the alcohol, but that mild spice helps bring it out subtly on the finish.

MF- SMOOTH! Light to a light-medium body, medium carbonation, very crisp! this is incredibly smooth and somewhat dry. A little warming after the finish, but it does take a minute to notice. The flavor of sweet fruit hangs around the palate for a while too.

O- This is a great triple! I been pushed enough times this week to try it, and I am so happy I finally got around to it. It is not complex with flavor, but very bold and robust indeed! Any fan of triple belgians, this is a must! If you are new to the style, you may not appreciate it as much. But I would definitely enjoy to try this again. GREAT beer!

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

From bottle. Aromas of vanilla and citrus. Pours a hazy pale with white head. The first taste was was quite sweet, but after a few sips it seemed more of a medium sweet. Medium body, somewhat creamy texture, quite lively carbonation, a dry finish. Overall a nice beer, but could the carbonation could be toned down somewhat.

I'll have to revisit this one in the future.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

A - a hay-colored beer that pours with a thick bushy head. Not much lacing. Unlike many from its style, this ones is only minimally cloudy.

S - doughy and citrusy with a slight hint of farmhouse-style funk.

T/M/D - slightly carbonated, full and chewy with a sweet, sugary finish. Many beers of the style are reminiscent of the taste of Karmeliet, but this remains one of my favorites (especially since it isn't too hard to find). Delicious and well worth a try if you've never enjoyed one!

Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels