Tripel Karmeliet - Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Tripel |  8.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-27-2001

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tripel Karmeliet Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,229 | Hads: 3,650
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Served chilled n a tulip glass straight from the bottle.

Immediate smells released -
fruity
flowery
gingery

Poured a cloudy light color, highly carbonated.

Lacked head retention and lacing - might have been served at the incorrect temperature.

Taste was excellent. Highly drinkable.

Moutfeel was ok. A little on the carbonated side.

Overall an excellent beer. Will certainly drink again. (394 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -2.6%

I got this beer at The Vinno Rosso in Idaho Falls, Idaho. It's a truly nice brew. By the way...the bottle is muchO' coolO' when compared with the beer that's in the pic. I'm guessing that I got a newer version and that the pic simply needs to be updated or something. Anyhow...The important part...The beer! This is a beautiful beer. It's carries a "triple" head. I mean seriously! Beautiful lacing etc. Very pretty! Very nice egg shell. BEAUTIFUL!

The flavor of this beer in quite nice too. The mouthfeel is a bit carbonated, but yummy. I'd say that it's quite delicious, but the appearance of this particular beer is sooo nice that it makes up for the extra carbonation and the extra alcohol punch that it carries. All in all...excelent!!!

By the way....this was a 1 pint 9.4 fluid ounce green bottle. Nice art on it, but seriously...as cool as it may look...who cares, right? Very good Tripel! One of these will be more than enough for you and a friend for an evening;) Cheers! (983 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -14%

Hazy pale yellow-orange color with big frothy white head and lots of carbonation effervescing off the bottom. Light and cirtusy, yeasty. Notes of lime and, dare I say, something like pink bubblegum? Mostly I mean that it smells somewhat sweet. Tastes like what I imagine a heavy hefe-weizen would taste like. Wheaty, sweet, lime and kiwi, with a subdued bitterness that permeates throughout. Pleasant and complex if a bit sweet for my tastes. Full bodied but with lots of crisp carbonation; a little of the alcohol can be felt deep in the chest. Not too strong for drinkability, but I find beer as sweet at this to wear on me a bit. Quite tasty and not what I was expecting from a Tripel. (688 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

This Tripel looks gorgeous in its unique glass, and the eye does not lie. Smell of what you could believe it was liquid honey arise from a three fingers head, so sweet, with a touch of herb and wheat. Medium carbonation teases its pale golden medium body. Warmth in your mouth as the alchool gets more evident as you reach the bottom of the glass. Spicy and fruity taste, mostly exotic fruits with the roughness of the grain.
An excellent brew you should try and, if you like, pair with a good piece of italian "parmigiano reggiano". (534 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a tulip glass...

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow with tons of head. Carbonation is evident

S: Citrus hops with a floral tint....orange peel

T: Starts out sweet and finishes a bit tart from the malts. Still very pleasant. Good after taste.

M: Holy Carbonation...! This beer is taotally alive and kicking all the way down...

O: One of my favorite tripels. I actaully get a craving for this specific brew at least once a month... (458 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured out a nice golden hue into the old Duvel tulip. Big, fluffy white head -- actually a very good impression of a Duvel. The head faded out and left little to no lacing and a tiny bit of film.

A good nose; mulled spices and malt up front for a nice, sweet aroma -- plenty of orange and citrus on the back end with no bitterness. The taste is malt-forward, too, and excellent; sweet with lots of orange and lemon and more cinnamon, just a hint of must on the tail end.

The mouthfeel is quite good, lots of body and a good carbonation; extremely drinkable. (560 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

A lovely sweet trappist ale, with a complex taste. Make sure you try it a room temoerature and no colder, the subleties are diminished if served too cold.

Appearance: Pale golden with a thick head

Smell: Active aroma, kinda like a wheat beer

Taste: Sweet, floral hops, full bodied, pretty darn yummy

Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation, floral and sweet aftertaste (363 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured bottle into tulip glass.

A: Gold, slight haze, minimal lacing.

S: Citrus with hints of spice.

T: Tastes like it smells, orange coriander spice.

M: Low carbonation, medium body, creamy.

D: Light beverage that goes down easily due to creamy body and refreshing smell and taste, the high ABV could get one in trouble with how fast this beer may be consumed! (366 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

Presentation: Dark green whine bottle. Enjoyed in a Tripel Karmeliet 1679 glass.

Very impressive cream colored head, absolutely massive with huge bubbles. Highly carbonated. This beer looks like a work of art. Beautiful!

Aromas of heavy spice (clove, cardamon). Somewhat fruity but the spice dominates the nose. The smell of the alcohol really compliments the overall aroma of this beer.

I took one sip and what can I really say? This beer is freakin amazing! Spicy, fruity, spicy, warming, smooth, nearly perfect. A sweetness from the oats that adds a whole new dimension when combined with the intense spice and fruitiness of this beer.

While this beer is extremely complex, it allows you to experience each flavor individually. The flavors come one by one and evolve in you mouth. The mouth feel is very(!) smooth. Really a great beer!

As far as flaws....well I can't really find any. When I first opened the bottle and poured it I thought it was a little over-carboanted, but I had this beer previously and the carbonation was perfect so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

The finish is somewhat dry yet refreshingly fruity and mellow reminds me of bread pudding.

One of my favorite beers! Sit back and enjoy! (1,234 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

I bought this in a four-pack with a special glass (oddly enough on the cover of this month's magazine).

When I cracked the cap on the bottle, I could immediately tell how carbonated the beer was. I poured it into the glass, a little faster than I was supposed to, apparently because the head was a little larger than expected. It stuck to the sides of the glass, being nice and foamy.

The aroma was absolutely fantastic. Fruity and caramel together. Definitely the most different beer I have ever had.

The taste... wow. Definitely a caramel taste (and the head still remains). Fruity esters abound and the alcohol level is obvious about mid-way through the bottle. (The glass was definitely designed for this beer).

The mouthfeel is absolutely fantastic, despite the high level of carbonation. Surprisingly smooth across the palate. Flavors all over the place.

I could drink this beer all night long. (915 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from .75L bottle into wine glasses.

Clear light mustard yellow with slight yeast cloudiness. 2-3 fingers of white foam that lasted. Lacy on sides of glass also lasted.

Aroma of yeast and spice.

Smooth taste, cumin and slight yeast taste.

Body to it on the tongue but never the less a smooth sipping drink.

Sat aroung in the evening with friends sipping. (366 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from 11.2 FL OZ bottle into oversized tulip glass.

A- Light gold colored with a hazy unfiltered cloudiness. The body reminds of a witbier, but the fast carbonation reminds me of a pale. Yields an initially massive 2-3 fizzy white head that dies very fast, leaving little behind.

S- Classic tripel scent... The dominant notes are wheat... bright fruit esters in the form of pears, apples, white grapes... Lemon rind... A healthy earthy spice in the form of white pepper, clove, coriander... Borderline floral. A mild malt sweetness lingers in the background, as well as slight medicinal phenols and a well disguised alcohol. Very nice.

T- Sweet pears followed quickly by earthy spices, which give us a pleasant bite. Transition is exceptionally smooth and brings out the slightly bitter aspects of the fruits involved... White grape and lemon peel... Then we are given another nice kick that brings the spices back to the foreground, and a swirling effect of the fruit flavors... Heavenly aftertaste that brings all of the above mentioned together with a slight metallic twang and indiscreet alcohol warmth... Incredibly impressive how this beer transitions and finishes.

M- Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation... This is perfect for this beer and really helps emphasize the flavors. This is the perfect body for the style.

O- Quite possibly my favorite tripel. It hints at elements of some other Belgian styles I enjoy: it has the softness and understated sweetness I usually attribute to a witbier, as well as the good bitter aspects I except from a quality strong pale... Amazing all around, I am coming back to this in the immediate future.

Note: For some reason, I'm finding the large bottles to have a more effervescent body and lighter taste profile. Unsure of what might be causing this difference. (1,829 characters)

I had the Tripel Karmeliet on tap at the Cheeky Monk in Denver when I flew out for GABF '09. I've had the it bottled before and enjoyed it, but on tap it just blew me away. This is my new favorite beer and I don't usually like Belgians.

I'm no pro at describing beers and why I like them. But here's my attempt:

The head was light and foamy.
The aroma was floral, fruity and slightly spicy.
The taste was so smooth and wonderful. It perfectly melded the malt and citrus taste together. I want to say it had a slight pear taste to it, but I'm horrible at picking out specific flavors. Either way, I greatly enjoyed it. (619 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured it in the beautiful factory glass. The color is bright golden, with a nice head. Fairly low retention. Aromas of peaches everywhere in the nose. Nice carbonation on the palate with a sweet start that ends in a semi-dry fashion with notes of grapefruit. Gorgeous brew. (276 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -5.5%

Tap pour into goblet at babo market in Ann Arbor.

A: Dark goldish yellow with typical tripel lacing
S: Sweet fruit, lots of banana and spice
T: The spice and sweet smells continue uninterrupted into the taste, which is surprisingly sharp and defined for a tripel. Banana, pepper, and wheat are the first flavors that spring to mind.
M: Strong carbonation with this tripel. Slightly syrupy finish that coats the mouth nicely and helps back up the "sugariness" of this beer that perhaps help explain the name.
O: I can't say it's my favorite tripel. There's a lot of good ones out there and this is to me lacks the depth of some of the other Belgians and even some American examples. But the crispness here, enhanced by healthy carbonation, is a pleasant surprise. (763 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

750 screen printed green bottle.

Great looking fluffy head that lasts and lasts. Highly carbonated (a good thing).

Lemongrass aroma with obvious Saaz hops. Just a touch of spice with subdued fruity yeast notes. Thankfully, no skunky notes. Could definately be more interesting and intense.

Flavors echo aroma, with lemon and Saaz hops. Apple and banana are present, but you really have to search for it. Peppery spice as well. Gets better as it warms up. Highly attentuated.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Light and highly carbonated. Drinkability is high, due mostly to the light mouthfeel.

Good, but certainly not great. I've heard that the version in the green bottle is tightly filtered and lacks the character of the brown bottling. I've never tried the brown bottles, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is true. There is hardly any sediment in this. (854 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +3.3%

Should I have to introduce a white wine/champagne drinker to beer this might well be the beer of choice for me. This reminds me of Delirium Tremens, but with a hint of hefeweizen. Very effervescent and mildly hoppy, I could barely taste the 8% alcohol. This was a wonderful beer to follow something heavy - a good change of pace from the Ommegang that preceded it.

I approve and will likely purchase again. (407 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

This is a perfect example of a beautifully crafted Belgium beer. It has a remarkable taste and aftertaste, but surprisingly the bouquet is not quite there. It drinks easily, but do not get this light colored beer confused with a lager or your regular summery wheat beer... This is loaded and you will be reminded of this after a couple glasses.
Enjoy! (352 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Fairly clear golden body with abundant carbonation and a monstrous foamy white Belgian-style head. Orange citrus and spice plus some esters, but not too dominating. Some bubble gum comes through more in the flavor than aroma. Honey is a dominating element in the flavor. More sweetness than I’ve recognized in other Tripels. Very smooth. (338 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Very enjoyable beer. Really interesting. Golden copper in color. Pours with a nice medium white head. Fruity nose. Like fresh fruit. Really good. Medium body. Great beer. This is my second time having it and it is still a great beer. I would go by it again. (257 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

After lamenting, to my beer guy, the fact that my favorite Tripel, Westmalle, was rarely in stock, he recommend I try out Karmeliet, as he believed it to be an exceptional iteration of the classic Belgian style. I took the 750ml bottle home and shoved it in the back of my fridge, forgetting about it for close to a month.

Pulled it out tonight, popped the cork, and poured it into my favorite Brooklyn Brewery snifter. A light-colored, not-exceptionally hazy apricot liquid pours out, amassing a decent size head that quickly and audibly dissipates to a low level, fading entirely soon after. Seems rather carbonated for the style (or is my glass oily? it looked sparkly clean...)

Smell seems reminiscent of a hearty Czech Pilsener, although it's still very evident this is a fruity Tripel. I'm wondering if Saaz hops were used in this brew... later on as it warms, I smell more Tripel and less Pils

My initial suspicions about carbonation prove to be true, as the mouthfeel is lively, yet still has that sharpish throat bite due to the 8% ABV. This beer really dances on the back of your tongue. I'm not sure how, but it somehow manages to be both light and bold in the same sip. Complex. Beautiful!

Flavors are slightly fruity with what I consider a PERFECT hop balance. It has a spicy flavorful finish that combines well with that warm alcoholic mouthfeel. My throat is left all warm, wanting another sip.

A VERY easy-to-drink beer, indeed, which might be dangerous with its high(er) alcohol content and price tag. While I'm not sure this dethrones Westmalle as my favorite Tripel, I certainly can't think of a better runner-up. I will be aging a couple bottles of this to see how things mellow over time.

A definite recommendation to lovers of the style, and of beer in general (1,788 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

My brother in law bought me a 750ml bottle of this magnificent brew.
So on a home brewing night, I decided to get cozy with the whole bottle!

Poured with a very big head all night long.

Smell is the same: orange, lemon Nice and delicate with good balance.

Good mouth feel and drinkability. Goes down easy when it's very cold, but you need to let it warm up a bit to enjoy all this beer has to offer.

I have found a home brew recipe, and I hope to try to brew this in the spring time.

Prost! (507 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +2.1%

750ml with the shoot-your-eye-out cork wrapped up with green wire. Pours out teeming with aggressive carbonation and a light orange brown color. Big frothy white head of tight sugary bubbles.

Smells soft, sweet, and tart like lemon. I was not ready for how full this brew is. Its light appearance does little to highlight the malty goodness here. The flavor comes in three dramatically different phases, I'll eloquently call 1, 2, and 3:

1 is light and hoppy like a good pilsner, but with an obvious alcohol burn. The sides of my tongue pinch with salt and acidity.

2 is a wave of syrup, roasted malts and wheat. Hold on a second (I'm reviewing live here), I just noticed the flakes of yeast or wort or something floating around my glass. I'm no expert with triples, but since this beer tastes exeptionally good I'm going to venture a guess that this sediment is intentional.

The 3rd phase is really just a slow aftertaste of the complex malts. There is a lot of flavor to ponder as you savor this brew. This is where mouthfeel completely mirrors the taste profile. There is so much going on I feel like to describe it all would be a dizzying maze of rambling... "If writing a beer review were a romance novel, this would be it!" my friend replies. (1,260 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

served on tap at redbones in a small stemmed glass. nice puffy white head. aromas of earthy yeast and fruit. quite complex in the nose. taste was just as amazing- citrus, belgian malt, caramel and yeast. medium to full body. this was a wonderful find and one that i will seek out in the future. (294 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle: Best before 03/2014

A: Looks like a nice, clear pilsener in color. Huge active wheat head. Many tiny scrubby bubbles that eventually slow to a mild steady stream of CO2. Got a tiny bit of yeast in the bottom, much less than I was expecting. My guess is it was bottled with some carbonation already, perhaps at lager temperatures, and given the small amount I noticed for extra zip. Much less yeast than, say a hefeweizen.

S: Really mild smell, which gives me deep mellow malt with mostly Belgian yeast aromomatics. Familiar Belgian spices, alcohol, and mild grain. Hiding well is an herbal, lemon pepper nose.

T: Full on lemony, herbal, slight pepper, alcohol, smooth simple malts. Pilsener and wheat malts provide a stage for an incredible Saaz hop showcase. The alcohol carries the hop presence all over the mouth, while allowing the grainy malts to finish the race. Mild-medium hop bitterness, mostly herbal, some spiciness. Belgian yeast is present, but remains clean, allowing the hops to shine followed by the simple malts. Good acidity to keep the sips coming and flavor refreshing.

M: Active carbonation for the style seems appropriate. It seems a bit much, but it keeps it exciting in the flavor department. Moderately soft water keeps bitterness low, but highly flavorful. Thin, mostly watery alcohol with a light and barely sweet finish. Malt sticks on the tongue well after the drink, low astringency.

O: An idyllic Belgian Tripel Ale. A true nod to the pilsener heritage with tons of Saaz hops and clean, crisp drinking experience. The Karmeliet abby cleverly used wheat and oat as they advertise instead (or in addition to) Belgian candi sugar. This provides extra alcohol and grain flavor while remaining dry. The balance in this beer is so complex, with low aromatics, big hop flavor, low bitterness and lots of oomph. For me, this is a whimsical blend of classic Saaz hop flavor with high quality malts brewed in the Belgian tradition and is remarkable every sip of the way. (2,004 characters)

Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels