Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Tripel Karmeliet - Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Tripel |  8.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-27-2001

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tripel Karmeliet Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,238 | Hads: 3,696
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

330mL bottle

I never mention bitterness in my reviews, my bitterness taste buds are ridiculously under-
sensitive.

GUSHER ALERT!!!

APPEARANCE : Hazy golden/yellow with a very, very generous white fluffy head. Beautiful, even though the head can be somewhat excessive.

SMELL : First nose is malty hay and yeasts. Second nose adds some fruit to the mix, typical of the tripel style - banana, peach. Flowers as well. Third nose amplifies on the previous two, with a touch of booze, but this is definitely positive.

TASTE : Follows the nose. Yeasts, malts, discreet hops blending in with a hay side. Fruits.

MOUTHFEEL : Ample, rich and generous. Great, great texture. The mouthfeel is probably this beer's strongest point. Incredibly pleasing.

OVERALL : One of the very, very good tripels I've had. Maybe not as awesomely incredible as the Westmalle Tripel, but definitely up there with the big boys. I'm so glad this beer is easily accessible in my area. (958 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

12oz bottle poured into tulip:

A: pours a bright golden color, clear and clean - a lot like a pilsner - with a substantial pillow of head that lasts a while before settling.

S: I find this to be citrus-forward and not as heavy on banana as other tripels, which is a plus for me. There are also a lot of spicy/herbal notes that I catch on the tail end, but nothing stands out.

T: dry, herbal, refreshing. The banana and citrus are subdued, and clove comes a little more forward. Not a lot of alcohol burn in the taste, but it did make its way into my sinuses. (I know that's not exactly a "taste" issue, but...)

M: this is pretty active, heavily-conditioned stuff. The effervescence is nice, and the body is just right.

O: I like my tripels on the drier, spicier side, and this fits the bill. Very drinkable, too, much more so than most of this style and potency. This would make a great holiday dinner beer. (916 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%

A - Pale straw color. Medium haze. Big active bubbles.

S - Bananas. Cloves. Straw sweetness. Spicy hops.

T - Slightly tangy. Bananas. Apples. Lemon/orange. Spicy/floral bitterness. Earthy straw sweetness. Bubble gum.

M - Great bubblyness. Slight tang/tartness. Earthy bitter tongue. Alcohol sits perfectly behind flavors.

O - Such a great tripel. So well balanced. Sweet straw body and fruit flavors balance with the tart and spicy bitterness. Alcohol is present, but sits so well behind the flavors. Bubbly clean finish. Will definitely be drinking again, but I'm going for the 750ml next time. (599 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a very good beer. I would say the style should be Flanders Red but the name might get non-sour beer lovers to give it a try. It pours golden and clear. The head is a silky white. It looks like a tripel but the taste of tart citrus is unmistakable. It is not too sour/tart but just enough to add character. This is a must find and ust drink. (348 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%

I'm usually more partial to the "Dubbel" style Belgium offerings but this one is quite satisfying and smooth. Just enjoyed a couple of bottles over the holidays and found it very drinkable.

Apperance: Golden straw color, slightly hazy, and when pouring the big creamy head builds quickly. A frothy wonder indeed!
Smell: Very nice, light, apples and clove that tickle your nose. A full bodied aroma.
Taste: Excellent! Smooth, crisp and tangy. Starts sweet, but has a nice finish, almost dry. Very unusual and enjoyable for a "tripel". Alcohol though present on the palate doesn't overwhelm the experience.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and silky. Welldone.
Drinkability: Very, very good! Some Belgium brews find me doing one and done. I had 3 of these beauties in one sitting on Christmas Eve and all I could say is "It's a Wonderful Life"! ! (837 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

This is my first review, please beermail me and provide constructive critisism.

Poured into a tulip glass, the initial pour gives a very high, thick foamy head. The initial head falls after several minutes leaving its fingerprint on the glass, and a nice covering of ivory foam that maintains itself throughout the session. Delightful appearance.
Deep yellow, hazy, dirty-straw color. Active carbonation. Seems appropriate for the style, based on my limited experience.
Nice malty aroma, with some citrus fruit and slight ester character.

The taste provides an initial spiciness that rises then subsides, leading into a sweet fruit-and-malt pleasantness that finishes with a hint of bitterness, and alcohol flavor to let you know it's there. Upon further quaffs, the flavor mellows into a highly drinkable brew. Smooth mouthfeel, with the active carbonation providing stimulation to the palate, particularly to the back of the tongue.

This is a beer that I've had a few times, working up the courage to post my first review. Certainly that should indicate that it's a pleasant, highly drinkable brew, one that I would not only recommend but that I will return to when I'm looking for a reliably good beer. (1,220 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -4.3%

Picked this 750ml up at a specialty shop in Melbourne, FL hiding by itself behind a few others. Pours a large foamy head that leaves traces down the glass has it dissipates. Very pale gold color that is quiet clear. The nose has a little spice to it with a faint sour dough aroma. The taste is quiet smooth with mild fruit tones. There is a nice medium finish that gives a nice mouthful.

While not the best triple I've had it was a great find. It is very drinkable and when friends of mine that arent really into beer tried this they thought it was rather nice and where pleasantly surprised to found out that real beer was this good. (638 characters)

Pours golden with quite possibly the biggest head I've seen. Very bubbly. Strong aroma of yeast, malts, citrus. Flavor of orange peel, malt, and spice. Nicely balanced and a good mouth feel. Finish remains balanced between sweet and bitter. Very nice beer overall. I;m far from experienced in Belgian tripels but this gives reason to try a few more. (349 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Served chilled n a tulip glass straight from the bottle.

Immediate smells released -
fruity
flowery
gingery

Poured a cloudy light color, highly carbonated.

Lacked head retention and lacing - might have been served at the incorrect temperature.

Taste was excellent. Highly drinkable.

Moutfeel was ok. A little on the carbonated side.

Overall an excellent beer. Will certainly drink again. (394 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -2.6%

I got this beer at The Vinno Rosso in Idaho Falls, Idaho. It's a truly nice brew. By the way...the bottle is muchO' coolO' when compared with the beer that's in the pic. I'm guessing that I got a newer version and that the pic simply needs to be updated or something. Anyhow...The important part...The beer! This is a beautiful beer. It's carries a "triple" head. I mean seriously! Beautiful lacing etc. Very pretty! Very nice egg shell. BEAUTIFUL!

The flavor of this beer in quite nice too. The mouthfeel is a bit carbonated, but yummy. I'd say that it's quite delicious, but the appearance of this particular beer is sooo nice that it makes up for the extra carbonation and the extra alcohol punch that it carries. All in all...excelent!!!

By the way....this was a 1 pint 9.4 fluid ounce green bottle. Nice art on it, but seriously...as cool as it may look...who cares, right? Very good Tripel! One of these will be more than enough for you and a friend for an evening;) Cheers! (983 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -14%

Hazy pale yellow-orange color with big frothy white head and lots of carbonation effervescing off the bottom. Light and cirtusy, yeasty. Notes of lime and, dare I say, something like pink bubblegum? Mostly I mean that it smells somewhat sweet. Tastes like what I imagine a heavy hefe-weizen would taste like. Wheaty, sweet, lime and kiwi, with a subdued bitterness that permeates throughout. Pleasant and complex if a bit sweet for my tastes. Full bodied but with lots of crisp carbonation; a little of the alcohol can be felt deep in the chest. Not too strong for drinkability, but I find beer as sweet at this to wear on me a bit. Quite tasty and not what I was expecting from a Tripel. (688 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

This Tripel looks gorgeous in its unique glass, and the eye does not lie. Smell of what you could believe it was liquid honey arise from a three fingers head, so sweet, with a touch of herb and wheat. Medium carbonation teases its pale golden medium body. Warmth in your mouth as the alchool gets more evident as you reach the bottom of the glass. Spicy and fruity taste, mostly exotic fruits with the roughness of the grain.
An excellent brew you should try and, if you like, pair with a good piece of italian "parmigiano reggiano". (534 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a tulip glass...

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow with tons of head. Carbonation is evident

S: Citrus hops with a floral tint....orange peel

T: Starts out sweet and finishes a bit tart from the malts. Still very pleasant. Good after taste.

M: Holy Carbonation...! This beer is taotally alive and kicking all the way down...

O: One of my favorite tripels. I actaully get a craving for this specific brew at least once a month... (458 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured out a nice golden hue into the old Duvel tulip. Big, fluffy white head -- actually a very good impression of a Duvel. The head faded out and left little to no lacing and a tiny bit of film.

A good nose; mulled spices and malt up front for a nice, sweet aroma -- plenty of orange and citrus on the back end with no bitterness. The taste is malt-forward, too, and excellent; sweet with lots of orange and lemon and more cinnamon, just a hint of must on the tail end.

The mouthfeel is quite good, lots of body and a good carbonation; extremely drinkable. (560 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

A lovely sweet trappist ale, with a complex taste. Make sure you try it a room temoerature and no colder, the subleties are diminished if served too cold.

Appearance: Pale golden with a thick head

Smell: Active aroma, kinda like a wheat beer

Taste: Sweet, floral hops, full bodied, pretty darn yummy

Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation, floral and sweet aftertaste (363 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured bottle into tulip glass.

A: Gold, slight haze, minimal lacing.

S: Citrus with hints of spice.

T: Tastes like it smells, orange coriander spice.

M: Low carbonation, medium body, creamy.

D: Light beverage that goes down easily due to creamy body and refreshing smell and taste, the high ABV could get one in trouble with how fast this beer may be consumed! (366 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

Presentation: Dark green whine bottle. Enjoyed in a Tripel Karmeliet 1679 glass.

Very impressive cream colored head, absolutely massive with huge bubbles. Highly carbonated. This beer looks like a work of art. Beautiful!

Aromas of heavy spice (clove, cardamon). Somewhat fruity but the spice dominates the nose. The smell of the alcohol really compliments the overall aroma of this beer.

I took one sip and what can I really say? This beer is freakin amazing! Spicy, fruity, spicy, warming, smooth, nearly perfect. A sweetness from the oats that adds a whole new dimension when combined with the intense spice and fruitiness of this beer.

While this beer is extremely complex, it allows you to experience each flavor individually. The flavors come one by one and evolve in you mouth. The mouth feel is very(!) smooth. Really a great beer!

As far as flaws....well I can't really find any. When I first opened the bottle and poured it I thought it was a little over-carboanted, but I had this beer previously and the carbonation was perfect so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

The finish is somewhat dry yet refreshingly fruity and mellow reminds me of bread pudding.

One of my favorite beers! Sit back and enjoy! (1,234 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

I bought this in a four-pack with a special glass (oddly enough on the cover of this month's magazine).

When I cracked the cap on the bottle, I could immediately tell how carbonated the beer was. I poured it into the glass, a little faster than I was supposed to, apparently because the head was a little larger than expected. It stuck to the sides of the glass, being nice and foamy.

The aroma was absolutely fantastic. Fruity and caramel together. Definitely the most different beer I have ever had.

The taste... wow. Definitely a caramel taste (and the head still remains). Fruity esters abound and the alcohol level is obvious about mid-way through the bottle. (The glass was definitely designed for this beer).

The mouthfeel is absolutely fantastic, despite the high level of carbonation. Surprisingly smooth across the palate. Flavors all over the place.

I could drink this beer all night long. (915 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from .75L bottle into wine glasses.

Clear light mustard yellow with slight yeast cloudiness. 2-3 fingers of white foam that lasted. Lacy on sides of glass also lasted.

Aroma of yeast and spice.

Smooth taste, cumin and slight yeast taste.

Body to it on the tongue but never the less a smooth sipping drink.

Sat aroung in the evening with friends sipping. (366 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from 11.2 FL OZ bottle into oversized tulip glass.

A- Light gold colored with a hazy unfiltered cloudiness. The body reminds of a witbier, but the fast carbonation reminds me of a pale. Yields an initially massive 2-3 fizzy white head that dies very fast, leaving little behind.

S- Classic tripel scent... The dominant notes are wheat... bright fruit esters in the form of pears, apples, white grapes... Lemon rind... A healthy earthy spice in the form of white pepper, clove, coriander... Borderline floral. A mild malt sweetness lingers in the background, as well as slight medicinal phenols and a well disguised alcohol. Very nice.

T- Sweet pears followed quickly by earthy spices, which give us a pleasant bite. Transition is exceptionally smooth and brings out the slightly bitter aspects of the fruits involved... White grape and lemon peel... Then we are given another nice kick that brings the spices back to the foreground, and a swirling effect of the fruit flavors... Heavenly aftertaste that brings all of the above mentioned together with a slight metallic twang and indiscreet alcohol warmth... Incredibly impressive how this beer transitions and finishes.

M- Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation... This is perfect for this beer and really helps emphasize the flavors. This is the perfect body for the style.

O- Quite possibly my favorite tripel. It hints at elements of some other Belgian styles I enjoy: it has the softness and understated sweetness I usually attribute to a witbier, as well as the good bitter aspects I except from a quality strong pale... Amazing all around, I am coming back to this in the immediate future.

Note: For some reason, I'm finding the large bottles to have a more effervescent body and lighter taste profile. Unsure of what might be causing this difference. (1,829 characters)

I had the Tripel Karmeliet on tap at the Cheeky Monk in Denver when I flew out for GABF '09. I've had the it bottled before and enjoyed it, but on tap it just blew me away. This is my new favorite beer and I don't usually like Belgians.

I'm no pro at describing beers and why I like them. But here's my attempt:

The head was light and foamy.
The aroma was floral, fruity and slightly spicy.
The taste was so smooth and wonderful. It perfectly melded the malt and citrus taste together. I want to say it had a slight pear taste to it, but I'm horrible at picking out specific flavors. Either way, I greatly enjoyed it. (619 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured it in the beautiful factory glass. The color is bright golden, with a nice head. Fairly low retention. Aromas of peaches everywhere in the nose. Nice carbonation on the palate with a sweet start that ends in a semi-dry fashion with notes of grapefruit. Gorgeous brew. (276 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -5.5%

Tap pour into goblet at babo market in Ann Arbor.

A: Dark goldish yellow with typical tripel lacing
S: Sweet fruit, lots of banana and spice
T: The spice and sweet smells continue uninterrupted into the taste, which is surprisingly sharp and defined for a tripel. Banana, pepper, and wheat are the first flavors that spring to mind.
M: Strong carbonation with this tripel. Slightly syrupy finish that coats the mouth nicely and helps back up the "sugariness" of this beer that perhaps help explain the name.
O: I can't say it's my favorite tripel. There's a lot of good ones out there and this is to me lacks the depth of some of the other Belgians and even some American examples. But the crispness here, enhanced by healthy carbonation, is a pleasant surprise. (763 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

750 screen printed green bottle.

Great looking fluffy head that lasts and lasts. Highly carbonated (a good thing).

Lemongrass aroma with obvious Saaz hops. Just a touch of spice with subdued fruity yeast notes. Thankfully, no skunky notes. Could definately be more interesting and intense.

Flavors echo aroma, with lemon and Saaz hops. Apple and banana are present, but you really have to search for it. Peppery spice as well. Gets better as it warms up. Highly attentuated.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Light and highly carbonated. Drinkability is high, due mostly to the light mouthfeel.

Good, but certainly not great. I've heard that the version in the green bottle is tightly filtered and lacks the character of the brown bottling. I've never tried the brown bottles, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is true. There is hardly any sediment in this. (854 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +3.3%

Should I have to introduce a white wine/champagne drinker to beer this might well be the beer of choice for me. This reminds me of Delirium Tremens, but with a hint of hefeweizen. Very effervescent and mildly hoppy, I could barely taste the 8% alcohol. This was a wonderful beer to follow something heavy - a good change of pace from the Ommegang that preceded it.

I approve and will likely purchase again. (407 characters)

Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels