Tripel Karmeliet - Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Tripel |  8.40% ABV

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tripel Karmeliet Alström Bros
thirdeye11

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Presentation: Poured from a green 750ml Tripel Karmeliet bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet tulip-style glass. The glass was huge (probably held 20oz) and super cool. I was very impressed that the Idle Rich had the proper glassware for this one.

A: The head was only about 1/2 finger tall and faded almost instantly and this beer left no lacing on the glass. Mild carbonation bubbles emanate from the bottom.

S: This beer smelled quite good. Up front were smells of pear and sour apple and oats in the back.

T: This beer tastes quite clean, but less "refreshing" than most tripels I have experience with. It was very spicy, and not necessarily in a good way because there didn't seem to be enough sweetness to balance this out. The one saving grace were the oats used in this brew did help to smooth it out and they were evident in the taste.

M: This beer was undercarbonated for the style, which tends to be very high so for me it felt a little thin as well. Not as effervescent as I would prefer in a tripel.

D: I found myself having a hard time drinking this beer quickly. It took me probably 2 - 2.5 hours to finish a 750ml because the beer was too peppery without the sweetness and carbonation to offset that. It was also extremely dry, although maybe not as much so as say Orval. I wish it hadn't been so dry though as I felt this hurt its overall drinkability.

Overall: I am not sure I would drink this one out of a 750ml again. It warmed to probably 60-65 degrees by the time I was able to finish it, and while tripels are easier to drink up to higher temperatures than some other styles it was over 80 degrees last night and I guess I was looking for something a little more refreshing. If I had the opportunity to share this with a friend next time or found a smaller bottle I would probably seek it out again.

03-06-2009 14:14:08 | More by thirdeye11
Parrotshake

Australia

Was unfamiliar with this beer going in. Suggested to me by the nice young lady at the bar in lieu of La Fin du Monde, which they were out of.

Poured a deep gold with 3 fingers of cloud-like head which stuck around for quite a while.

Smelled initially a little sweeter than I'd expected, which didn't fill me with a lot of hope. Figured it might be all candy sugar. Seconds later, cloves and slight over-ripe apples. This is more like it.

Tasted beautifully of apples and pears up front, so much so that my drinking buddy on the night who pretty much exclusively drinks cider pronounced that it "kicks the shit out of pretty much every other beer I've tasted". Biscuity malt and a little spice and alcohol after. To me, slightly lacking the complexity to fully incorporate the obvious sweetness, but finishes very clean and leaves you wanting another sip.

Light and refreshing, with enough carbonation to clean up after itself. Despite the sweetness, doesn't cloy, which ups drinkability immensely. I could concievably drink quite a few, but on the night I had a train to catch. Good thing, perhaps - it certainly doesn't feel like 8%.

It was never going to be my favourite Tripel, but I warmed to it pretty quick. Good stuff.

03-04-2009 12:11:12 | More by Parrotshake
becktone

4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

From notes 12-17-08

Done back to back with St. Feuillien Triple

Eye: Amazing, simply amazing. This one looks like liquid gold in a glass. One of the best brews I've poured in a while. It sure looks better than the St. Feuillien Triple in the same Duvel tulip. Color is crystal clear golden coin yellow. The head is more white than the walls in this room and has a rocky texture. Not as large a head as the Feuillien, but it has better staying power and is more appropriately sized. Sure, its always great to have a nice big head, but there can be too big. Feuillien poured at first as a ton of foam that simmered down to a very large head and some beer over a minute or two, this one is just right. Perfect. Don't think that it could get any better.

Nose: Very potent aroma, the glass is about two-three feet away from my nose right now and I can still smell this beer, can't pick out its nuances, but I can smell it and tell that it smells good. Strong spicy aroma, reminds me alot of a wit in that way, I get some orange character in here. Big fruit tones, again I can't stress how much this one smells like a wit, its got alot of similarities. Alcohol is present in the aroma, though not as much as the Feuillien. Alcohol in here is also much more refined and delicate, more a part of the beer rather than an ingredient which is a product of yeast that makes the beer. It just blends better. Now, this is the first time I've ever used this term, this one smells horsey. Not in a bad way, but there is something about it that just makes me want to say it is horsey. I like it, its a real unique delicate aroma.

Tongue: The biggest difference between the two beers, and the most important I feel is the fact that this one is crisp whilst Feuillien is not. It really makes a big differnce in the perception of flavor and the overall experience of the beer. Very fruity taste that finishes with a nice spicy character coming in somewhere between dry and, well.... "wet" I guess. Sweet malt flavor comes into play as well. Its there behind the orangeish fruity flavor, it supports it and adds depth to the beer. Whatever kind of sugar was used in this to give it strength is adding alot of nice flavor too. Real nice beer, get out there and try it.

Feel and Drinkability: I can't see how this could possibly get any better in the mouth. Its crisp with carbonation that really does the job for this one, at first it seems to scrub the palate, then it fades to a delicate feel and then is gone altogether leaving the palate with a long lasting aftertaste. I can't get over the similarities between this and a wit....Body is medium-light on the palate and is much more delicate than the Feuillien. For a beer that brags about being for connissours and gourmet taste the Feuillien sure lets down. This is a beer that I'll be drinking again and soon. If you've not tried it definitely give it a go. This is a great tripel that impresses. Now I've got some good beer to drink.

02-22-2009 22:55:35 | More by becktone
cvaypai

Wisconsin

4.4/5  rDev +3%

Poured from bottle into snifter type glass.

A- Beautiful golden color, no head at all.

S- Fruity wonderful smell, can definitely tell its a tripel.

T- Exceptional, one of the best tasting beers I have had.

M- Maybe just a bit too much carbonation, the mouthfeel is a little to strong for me.

D- Good drinkability could drink a few without feeling sick.

Very good beer, I don't think its as good as Delirium Tremens, but I think its up there with it.

02-22-2009 04:00:19 | More by cvaypai
gonzo46and2

200th review and this was a great one. I loved this beer and would consider it in the top three beers I've ever had.

Pours a bright copper with orange highights. The head started huge but mostly diminished leaving blobs of lacing behind.

The aroma is huge on this one! Buttered biscuits, banana, spices like clove, cinamon, nutmeg, pear, apple, soft alchohol when cold and more pronounced as it warms up, sugar cookies... I could go on and on.

Flavor came in waves and was very full reflecting mostly what was in the nose. Very complex. Very much on the sweet side. Very much like a rich dessert.

Body was medium on the thin side and totally refreshing. Carbonation was soft enough...just right.

Finish seemed balanced and clean with a slight dryness to counter the initial sweetness.

This is what craft beer is about.

02-19-2009 03:04:58 | More by gonzo46and2
Nascartailgatefa

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

on tap from rattle and Hum NY . a slightly murky pale light yellow. Good carbonation but unimpressive head and lacing. Very little observable scent. creamy taste of banana, on the sweet side. Definitely the type of beer that can sneak up on you with its smoothness and high alcohol content. Very drinkable and pleasant for a high alcohol beer.

02-14-2009 00:20:46 | More by Nascartailgatefa
jjazz

South Dakota

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

750 screen printed green bottle.

Great looking fluffy head that lasts and lasts. Highly carbonated (a good thing).

Lemongrass aroma with obvious Saaz hops. Just a touch of spice with subdued fruity yeast notes. Thankfully, no skunky notes. Could definately be more interesting and intense.

Flavors echo aroma, with lemon and Saaz hops. Apple and banana are present, but you really have to search for it. Peppery spice as well. Gets better as it warms up. Highly attentuated.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Light and highly carbonated. Drinkability is high, due mostly to the light mouthfeel.

Good, but certainly not great. I've heard that the version in the green bottle is tightly filtered and lacks the character of the brown bottling. I've never tried the brown bottles, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is true. There is hardly any sediment in this.

02-13-2009 02:00:06 | More by jjazz
sabalon

Maine

4.1/5  rDev -4%

enjoyed this on tap at the fat abbey cafe in miwlaukee.

served in its intended glass, it poured a golden color, and the head was solid white and held strong. in fact it was 2 or 3 drinks in before it really started to disappate.

i got a strong aroma of citrus, but nothing too overpowering.

the taste was a middle of the road bitter, nice hop balance, going down smoothly, but definately letting me know what all was there.

enjoyed with dinner, and the entire 30+ minutes i savored it, it lost nothing from first to last drink.

02-12-2009 16:32:08 | More by sabalon
joedon

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Excellent Belgian. Dark gold with a fluffy white head.

Smells of fruit, spice and sugar.

Lots of flavor; big orange and spice notes with malty-sugary flavors.

Very smooth, no alcohol bite and pleasing fruity aftertaste.

Very good drinking for a big flavorful beer.

02-11-2009 22:50:19 | More by joedon
bronzeside

Georgia

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

From a slender 330 ml bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

Nice 2 finger head that slowly reduces to an even 1/16 cover. Bubbles cling nicely to sides of the glass when sipped, and then slowly slide down without rings.

Color: light golden honey, very light haze

Smell: I picked up just the slightest hint of...smoke, perhaps from a distant campfire, there but faint.

Taste:

Smooth very light citrus, with a hint of sweetness in the middle. This evenly transitions back to a light citrus finish.

A very easy drinking tripel. If you are looking for a brew with dynamic flavor notes, this is not really the one. But if you want something just plain smooth, balanced and basically really really good, it is a great choice.

I felt the alcohol before I tasted it. As with many Belgians, respect is the word. Sip or stumble.

I really like this one. Costs a bit, but want to keep a few around (if I can keep from drinking them) to introduce friends to the easier side of the wonderful world of Belgian Beer.

02-08-2009 00:07:36 | More by bronzeside
Yetiman420

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

"The second best tripel after Westy" according the beer czar tender at my local good beer bar.

Poured into an authentic yet oversized Karmeliet tulip glass. A bit too much for me. Save the dramatic glass, I can't say appearance was anything to comment on. I prefer my Belgian's with some cloudiness. It had a bit of haziness, nothing remarkable.

Very easy drinking for such a strong beer. Nothing about the flavor or aroma profile jumps out at me. Some complexity would be nice.

Towards the end, drinkability diminished to the point I left the last ounce or two for my fallen beer nerds.

I like the fact that this is brewed by female "monks."

02-07-2009 01:40:28 | More by Yetiman420
LennyV

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a golden color into my Urthel glass. 2 finger head with many carbonation bubbles fling upward. Look beautiful.

Smells funky with a little fruit.

Tastes of a funky with some spice finishes dry.

Feels full of fizzy carbonation which dies down as it breaths. Some what light to medium body.

This is a good beer not my favoate trip but nice to drink

02-01-2009 03:39:24 | More by LennyV
mltobin

Connecticut

Poured into Karmeliet glassware.
The tripel karmeliet is a golden color with a two finger head that loses a bit of its size, but then sits there.
The smell has flora and citrus tones to it.
The taste although fairly sweet, also has some pepper that hits your taste buds, providing a nice contrast of flavors.
The mouthfeel is easy and balanced, the abv does not hit your palate too hard, so remember to sip this one.

01-31-2009 12:09:28 | More by mltobin
Jablonski

Louisiana

4.1/5  rDev -4%

A: pours a nice golden color with a strong head, but no lacing along the glass.

S: Smells sweet initially--mostly banana and apples--followed by some spices. Lingering in the background is the unpleasant aroma of a light beer from a macro.

T: The banana and apple notes present in the smell are upfront in the taste, and this beer gets even sweeter as it lingers. The spices balance this beer nicely. The only thing I can take away from this beer's taste is the alcohol notes in the it.

M: Pretty nice, but way too much carbonation.

D: Easy to drink, but stay away from having too many.

01-31-2009 02:42:32 | More by Jablonski
dirtylou

Washington

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

1/2 price taps at brasserie V on inauguration night

cell phone notes

appearance: served in a massive beautiful karmeliet tulip, big golden straw-apricot body, huge fluffy white cap and gorgeous retention

smell: soapy and floral, tropical fruits, sweet and syrupy, white pepper, clove and other belgian spice

taste: paired with a duck confit and goat cheese entree - this made a very nice pairing...huge tropical fruits, lemon zest and sharp yeast, sweet andy syrupy apricot and other citrus...tons of spice - corriander, white pepper, clove...tropical hops, lovely

mouthfeel: sharp and alive

drinkability: good

01-25-2009 23:40:16 | More by dirtylou
HalenRush

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

330 mL bottle poured into an Orval goblet. Poured with bigger than expected bubbles and the head didn't stick around for very long.

Beautiful golden hue, moderate to deep. Aroma is strong of banana, light on the vanilla and a hint of lemon. The smell is a preview of the taste, and it gives way to a banana bread type of flavor and lemon on the end. This beer is huge on mouthfeel, touching on liquid bread, attributable to the 3 grain recipe (which inspired my next homebrew containing 3 grains). Drinkability gets high marks, it doesn't hit me like an 8% beer should. The high alcohol doesn't linger too long and just makes for a sooner second sip.

01-25-2009 23:30:07 | More by HalenRush
TehAnkh

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

This just took my expectations, crumpled them up and threw them in the trash.
When I first took this bottle from the refrigerator case at my local wine and spirits shop, I was expecting something a lot lighter, a lot more mild.

The second I popped the cork I was hit with that incredible aroma which I am lacking the proper beer-education to describe.
I can only describe it as spicy, musky, hoppy and oh so delicious.

It poured a cloudy golden honey, with a huge, fluffy, creamy head that looked like it was better suited as a whipped topping.

The aroma from the bottle was not misleading in any way, the second it hit my tongue I knew that the flavor matched the aroma exactly and did nothing to surprise me, but nothing to disappoint either.
Crisp, light but a little heady, and a hint of alcohol that you can only detect if you make an effort to find it.
The drinkability is unmatched by any beer in this category that I have had previously... I think I'm in love.

This is now a favorite, and despite the steep price tag, I have a feeling my local liquor shop will be ordering extra cases just for me.

01-18-2009 20:48:55 | More by TehAnkh
tmoneyba

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured into a trappist glass.

Clear amber color with a huge frothy white head that was lasting and produced good lacing.

Good citrus and yeast aroma.

Medium to full body with a creamy texture and fizzy carbonation.

Heavy bittersweet flavor with and medium to heavy sweet finish of moderate to long duration.

One of my top six active bottled beers for style.

01-13-2009 02:05:17 | More by tmoneyba
Itoclown

3.6/5  rDev -15.7%

Purchased from Siciliano's in Grand Rapids. Drank from a 330 ml bottle.

Look: Poured with almost no bubbles and didn't have problems with too much foam as others have said. It looks like hazy apple juice.
Smell: Very fruity with some Belgian yeast smell.
Taste: Quite wheaty and light on the tongue. The carbonation leaves your tongue quickly and you're left with the taste of peaches, oranges and bananas.
Mouthfeel: Smooth...
Overall: I've been looking forward to this particular beer for a long time and I must say I'm a little let down. Perhaps my expectations were too high. I will buy another bottle sometime... Maybe I'll think differently next time.

01-07-2009 01:22:49 | More by Itoclown
SpecialK088

Missouri

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet

Pours a pretty pale gold iwht a decent long lasting head

Smell comes off a bit skunked but with spicy notes of clove and pepper

Alot like the nose with 0 skunk very complex everything comes in crisp and clean and all the flavors in all stages of the brew, spices corander, clove and a note of mint.

good feel in the mouth and going down medium body fantastic carbonation level.

this a triple that i would feel pretty spoiled having on a regular basis.

01-01-2009 04:46:56 | More by SpecialK088
naterock

Missouri

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

poured, slightly cloudy into a Goblet with a light head, moderately sticky.

I have to be honest, this is a bit skunky, probably from a green bottle. I can also smell a bit of yeast in the nose.

taste is incredibly complex. A strong yeasty presence, Clove, Coriander, Green Mint (slight and barely present) some citrusy notes and a bit of fig. Absolutely delightful, no more words can describe.

mouth is clean and crisp, incredibly drinkable. Truly a contender on my favorite representation of this style.

01-01-2009 04:26:27 | More by naterock
Proteus93

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Picked up in the four pack with appropriate glass, which I'm always up for!

A: This is a beer where patience is required. I thought brews like Duvel were heady, but this is out of this world. Poured into the big, bulbous cervoise goblet it comes with carries the beer to its intended line about halfway up the bulb with the rest being dedicated to the head. I spent approx. 7 - 10 minutes pouring it. It was intriguing, but maybe a little long lived.... head starts kinda thick and becomes more foamy and dishsoap-like as it goes.

S: A very positive aspect of this beer. The explosive head causes a lot of aromas to burst forth... some fruity scents, citrusy orange, a hint of mango, and other perhaps a little peach? A big maltiness is quite evident... biscuity and pleasantly grainy.

T + M: Full flavoured, medium body (which is lighter than some), with a dash of stickiness and a little prick of carbonation. Warm maltiness, which do well with the fruity touches... more peach this time around, with a big malt backbone. A little bit of leafiness, but not a strong hop presence.

D: A nice sipper... pleasantly surprised by this one. The flavour may have come across as a touch thin, but it's still a very solid beer. I will happily enjoy the other bottles from this pack and will perhaps look forward to more.

12-30-2008 01:12:44 | More by Proteus93
tai4ji2x

3.6/5  rDev -15.7%

direct from distributor in beijing (vandergeeten)

330ml brown bottle. no importer's label, but brewer's label has "best by" date of june 24, 2010. poured into tulip.

clear, golden straw color. decent head, but soon fades to wisps and ring. no lacing.

fruity esters with pear, white grape and peach, plus very faint hint of tropical, between banana and canned pineapple juice. some biscuity malt underneath and a trace of hop herbal/hay notes. licorice and spice notes are faint and mix with the phenols at the end.

flavors are fruit again (more grape and pear), but slightly watered down. some bready and yeasty notes as foundation. but from the middle onwards, the grassy hop bitterness crescendos with somewhat annoying phenols, and into finish, with just traces of the previous fruitiness.

not too thin, but hints of being watery. carbonation is lively but doesn't compensate entirely.

not horrible, but maybe it's just me. i've realized over the past half year or so that i just don't like all the medicinal phenols in many of the classic belgian tripels and blondes. not all of them, of course, since for example achel blond and st. bernadus tripel are amongst my favorite tripels. anyway, i kind of regret getting a whole case of these here in beijing, when i could have gotten something else (like more achel!)

12-28-2008 18:52:56 | More by tai4ji2x
beachian

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

12/26/2008 @ The Bier Garden

Absolutely awesome. I had this as a recommendation from a friend who described it as an "easy" Belgian. Saw it was on draught at dinner last night so I ordered it. It was served in a snifter and had a beautiful golden appearance. There was a generous amount of lacing on this one that slowly subsided. The smell was a great balance of fruits and sweetness. Upon drinking, mouthfeel was lots of carbonation but went down smooth. Despite the 8% alcohol content, I noticed no taste of alcohol but started to feel it rather quickly. Great beer!

12-28-2008 00:38:46 | More by beachian
spointon

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

I poured this one from an 11.2oz skinny brown bottle into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip glass.

A= This ale poured a mostly clear, bright golden color with a 3/4" fluffy crown of snow white lace. The lace slowly dropped to a thin cap and left moderate lacing down the glass.

S= Aromas were very sweet, fruity, and yeasty. Malts were forward, as were the phenols and the earthy/funky yeast notes.

T= The bakery malt sweetness had a floral honey-like quality to it, and the yeast brought big estery fruitiness. The middle was full of pleasant medicinal phenols and a drying yeasty funk. The finish was moderately dry and perfectly balanced against the early sweetness of this ale. Big and balanced alcohols in the finish as well.

MF= Medium body with a beautifully effervescent carbonation level. The big sweetness made this feel more syrupy than it actually was.

D= A great example of a moderate strength tripel with a sweeter flavor profile. For me the complexity was just average, but the flavors present were all excellent and well balanced, making this one very drinkable beer. I almost always have two in me before I know it!

12-22-2008 05:54:37 | More by spointon