Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Tripel Karmeliet - Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Tripel |  8.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-27-2001

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tripel Karmeliet Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,238 | Hads: 3,694
4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

One of me personal favourites

Pours a golden brew with a big attractive head that stays put for some time and later changes into a foamy layer. Nice retention. Beautiful.
The aroma is is filled with spices, floral notes and citrus fruits.
The taste is delicious. Spicy, complex with coriander, lots of fruits and some notes of alcohol. Delicious!
Mouthfeel is once again excellent. The beer is well carbonated and goes down very smoothly.

Very refreshing, but with a kick. I've had this one several times and it managed to amaze me time after time. A most excellent beer. (581 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great tasting triple. Sharing the 750ml bottle was perfect. The bartender poured it poorly and had 2 inches of head. After I couldn't wait any longer to try it, I took a mouthful of foam and then got to the delicious beer.
Great taste rolling around in the mouth followed by a very enjoyable finish. (300 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy golden-yellow with a big frothy head, served in a Duvel tulip. Sweet, yeasty aroma. Taste is incredible! Sweet, malty, spicy; a tremendous blend of flavors. Alcohol gives a little pleasant warmth without being overpowering. Incredibly drinkable Tripel. (259 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

A: Very light amber color, but not pale. It has a sunlight yellow appearance with a magnificently foamy white head, which could easily be mistaken for soap bubbles. It would be impossible to ascertain the amount of lacing, because it seems to merge seamlessly with the head. There's lots of carbonation bubbles.

S: It has a very spicy, floral, and citrus-like smell to it. It is Belgian at its very essence. Breathing in is overwhelming with scent. I get some banana, mellow flowers like daisies, there is a pear-like smell to it, and it smells very light like orange and apple blossoms.

T: It has a wonderful taste to it. I get a flavor profile that is very similar to the way it smells. I pick up flavors of banana, vanilla, and a light spice with hints of ginger. It's wonderful. I can't label it as perfect, but it is so close! There are hints of the earthy hops, but they stand in the background a bit. I bet if I drank this IN Belgium, it would be a 100% 5.0 across the board.

M: The mouthfeel is great. It is so smooth and delicious. There is a wonderful zest of carbonation...I am so surprised at how wonderful this beer is.

O: This beer is near perfect. It could easily be all 5.0 all around. It is wonderful and delicious...I would recommend this to anyone, regardless of what their beer preference is. (1,316 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

I knew this was going to be a special quaf when I saw my first glass poured into a frothy amber color with a big head that you have to resign yourself to make a mustache unless you want to wait. The smell of, toffee and light fruits are immediately apparent and for a hot August day, it was the perfect matech.

Taste- deceptively sweet. Higher alcohol content on the 2nd wave of taste.

Mouthfeel-smooth as melted caramel

Drinkability-Unless you knew you were drinking, difficult to tell as it slides down the throat.

I hope it's served more often. (551 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer might be my personal all-around favourite to date since it masters the flavours of my two preferred styles: weizen and belgian ales. Great stuff that I wish I could find in the Ontario LCBO stores. Very drinkable considering the ABV and I will definitely seek this one out again. In the meantime I will fall back on the more available La Fin Du Monde in the LCBO stores.

I discovered a bottle of this nectar at the Beer Bistro in Toronto (a place worth checking out).

It poured with a golden haze and looked fantastic in the tulip glass. It had a big fluffy head that receded but maintained a consistant thin layer. There was also some slight lacing leaving some nice spots behind.

The aroma is sweet and malty with nice complex fruity esters, yeasty bread and bubblegum. The tulip branded glass is a must for enhancing the smell.

The taste starts out malty with some mineral notes mid-way in the first few sips (but this subsides later). The great mix of flavours include banana, cloves, and bubblegum which make me think that this is brewed in the style of a great German weizen wheat beer. There's also some nice typical belgian complexity in the mix which lingers well in the aftertaste. It finishes well with some light orange citrus bitterness.

The mouthfeel is smooth, creamy and finishes dry. I look forward to having another some day. (1,359 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed from 11.2 oz. bottle into St. Bernardus chalice.

From one glance I thought the beer seemed light for a tripel. A thinnish lacing remains from a vibrant, creamy head over which I poured the yeast sediment.

I thought the nose was thin for a second but the chalice brought out a more complex bouquet than I originally expected: some acidic phenols, touch of hops, grains, just a hint of sweetness - honey I think. Fruity as well; some vanilla and some citrus.

I enjoyed the taste quite a lot. There are definite traces of the grains used in the brew and the fruity quality of banana or clove in the yeast. It tastes lighter than a lot of tripels, in fact it has the drinkability of a witbier. The alcohol content and phenols become more and more apparent as time passes, takes on a lemony flavor here. There's a little sharpness in the mouth that gives the illusion of thinness that's the cause for the 4 in mouthfeel, but the overall satisfaction of squeezing 8% out of this brew more than makes up for it. Highly recommended. I still like it over Westmalle's Tripel after a couple tastings of each.

Update March 2007: A little bit to add to my previous review. I have upped the appearance to 4.5 after having more experience with the tripel style. The fluffy white head is spot-on perfect, just gorgeous architecture spilling over the top of my gold-rimmed Rochefort chalice. Near perfection. Little bubbles stream from bottom to top for several minutes, this very active head eventually reduces to a frothy top-coat although the lacing is very persistent.This time around I noticed the wheat characteristics more than the oats, barley makes itself known. I didn't mean my references to witbier and hefeweissen characteristics as slanders, this is a much more complex brew than those two style, but the drinkability is where I made the connections. There was very little sediment in this bottle, I don't remember my old review..the light brown bottle was completely clear when I got done pouring this one. I also bumped up mouthfeel and taste for this review, the wheat characteristics make it full yet very smooth, and the taste is among the best I've ever had for the style, absolutely rivaling St. Bernardus and Westmalle for supremacy in the category. I loved it before and I appreciate it even more now. All in all this is one spectacular beer, absolutely stunning with the combination of flavors and big abv. Highly recommended to Belgiophiles as well as someone looking for their first Belgian brew. (2,526 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy gold color, fine white head, and fortunately poured into it's own particularly shaped glass.

Aroma is uplifting, arousing, sensual, jumping with fruitiness, peaches, tangerines, apricots, citrus, lemon, alive with bright, sunny flavors, and a joyful honey/candy sweetness.

Absolute happiness results from a mere sip of this glorious brew, growing with each new drip down the lips!
Yeast, also, does some work towards delivering the drinker to Beer Nirvana, creating a warm, bready feeling. Body is somewhat light and buoyant, palate is delicate and delicious. Soft, sweet malt, long and lingering, rewarding finish, always accompanied by a tidy, tasteful dance of hops upon the tongue. Ahhh!

Unfortunately, this happy ride was all-too brief, for the otherwise unredoubtable pub poured a meager 8 ounces. Geez, guys, I'd pay an extra $.50 for another 2 ounces, and willingly, too! (896 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +11.1%

Taken from notes. Poured into tulip. Reviewed on 4-10-2009. Reviewed under medium low artificial light. Served cold.

Aroma: How perfumy this brew is... Very intense aroma with notes of grains, roses, lime and intense bubblegum aroma on the front. On the back theres some faint coriander seeds, oats and banana. Definitely one of the most enjoyable beer aromas i've experienced. Just insanely complex.

Appearance: Pours a golden / orangy brew with two thinger frothy white head. Medium perceived effervescence. The foam eventually collapses into thick cap. Mild lacing.

Taste: Very complex and layered. Intensely flavored. Taste of spices, banana, oats, bubblegum and citrus. Some butter and clove aswell on the back. Delightful.

Palate: Low bitterness. Medium full body. Medium low carbonation. Starts crips and ends smoothly. Finishes sweet leaving a lingering bubblegum flavor. Excellent structure overall.

Drinkability: Balanced, alcohol barely noticeable. Any price is a good price for this gem. But most important of all this a beer that is not only true to style but also transcends it. Unique. (1,106 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

My favorite tripel to be sure.

Appearance: Wonderfully clear straw gold with rising streamers of effervescent carbonation. Huge white dollup of whip cream on top. Retention is perfect. Lacing is gorgeous. Carbonation is champagne like.

Nose is complicated with farmyard grains, lemons, poppy seeds, cardamom, peach syrup, apricots, canned mandarin oranges, vanilla, medicinal alcohols, etc…

Tastes takes all the qualities of the nose, adds mango, soda, more spices, pepper, and a mild astringent finale. All are perfectly balanced with one another.

Mouthfeel is smooth yet lively and very full.

Drinkability is out of this world. 8%...no way.

I love it, love it, love it. (691 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Cloudy gold with a huge rocky bright white head. Looks outstanding.
S: all kinds of fruit, mainly pears and apples. A nice candy smell with some slight astringentcy. Balanced and perfect.
T: follows nosr perfectly. Slight pepper flavor with some acidity. Nice sweet fruit flavor which blends seemlessly with nice biscuity notes. Loving this.
M: medium to high carbonation but a slight body. Finishes so nicely. Great aftertaste that leaves you wanting more.
O: go buy it. Extremely quaffable and leaves you wanting more. Enjoy it any time of year. (550 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

This one came in a 750ml. green bottle with a silk-screened main label, front/rear and a foil/paper neck label with a Best before date of: 16/03/08.

In taking the cage off the cork...Pa-thunk...the cork shot into my hand instantly! Be careful with this one...tons of carbonation. It poured into my 0.4L New Belgium (Rastal crystal) goblet a bright cloudy gold like honey, with a huge white fluffy, ultra tight and thick head. The head grows and turns rocky...the carbonation keeps the head alive and well through-out the entire tasting of this brew. The lacing is also rather thick, the champagne-like bubbles just keep on rising till the end.

The initial smell is sweet and spicy with stone-fruit flavors coming through strong. Some banana, green apple, yeast, candi-sugar and alcohol ever present in this pleasant aroma. Light, grassy hops bring up the tail end of the nose here.

The flavor...Wow...the flavor! Tasty triple if there ever was one. Lots of sweet and fruity complex flavors through-out the entire 750ml. bottle of excellence. This is truly one of the best tasting triple's I've ever had...nicely done.

Very well balanced big body brew with great flavor and the alcohol skillfully hidden...I highly recommend this brew as a great example of this style, and a very tasty one at that! (1,310 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Purchased at the same time as a Kwak, which is apparently from the same brewer...after drinking that I was very skeptical about this one, but this is one hell of a beer.

Exhumed from the bottle, this baby pours out a much lighter hue than i'd expected, almost more canary yellow than gold. No visible floaters anywhere, even to the end of the bottle. This has to be bottle conditioned, right?

In my wife's wine glass and my chalice foam is everywhere! This is one heady beer...literally a pillow stack of 3-4" for a considerable amount of time, and Brussel's ghosts floating around the glass.

The nose is relatively uninviting - a light whiff of skunk that subsides and a sweet, expected sugar profile. Clove and grassy hops prick my sensory excitement. An almost Duvelian aroma that is somewhere between spice and cutting citrus.

The taste of this baby is absolutely heavenly. Smooth, slick mouthfeel with those resounding hop tongue prickles. Its like drinking a pillow in heaven - just gets better and smoother the further down the bottle drains. Strangely delicious burps.

Wow, this one is hellacious. Just wish I could get it around here more often. (1,169 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Somehow this made its way into a liquor store in downtown Vancouver, and the medieval label with Dutch script caught my eye.

Pours a slightly cloudy gold with tons of frothy white head. Head leaves little lacing but sticks around forever.

Has a very light smell; mostly of malted wheat and bananas.

Tastes very unique; there is a strong citrusy (grapefruit?) presence, almost like a mixture of oranges and lemons. The oats are rather noticeable and makes the beer's taste very different in a good way. Alcohol is noticeable but not overpowering. Cloves are present in the background.

Goes down crisp and clean, almost like a normal lager. Very easy drinking. (662 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Tasted on an all Belgian-style night.
11.2 split between Tripel Karmeliet & Unibroue Tulips

A ~ Hazy apricot with a good amount of puffy marshmallow-like head, fading into a low mound of tight, medium beading lasting the length of the beer. Amazing lacing & exceptional retention. Beauty.

S ~ Very lush wheat and faint yeast that fades into grass and kumquat-like citrus.

T ~ Holy cow, what a Tripel. Peaches, strawberries, & passion-fruit run the show; But there are delicate notes of ginger, sassafras, fresh wheat, kumquat & yeast throughout. Never overly phenolic of ester-y at any point, and there is a hint of melon rind & rosewater that really adds an unmatched uniqueness to this brew.

M ~ Not too heavy. Starts prickly...turns very soft & floral. Amazing amount of balance.

D ~ VERY enjoyable Tripel with amazing floral qualities I have never tasted before. Not too phenolic with incredible balance and character that makes one want to sip & sip & sip. Would buy again & again.

Fantastic beer.

Cheers. (1,018 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Had this at Sacks restaurant in Anchorage, AK with a nice rack of lamb and other side plates (by the way, best food in Alaska to date that I have tried). $7.50 a bottle, a bit higher than those below who had the opportunity to try this wonder. At this price, and in its little 330 ml bottle, I have to admit I was intrigued.

Poured smoothly into a tulip glass, medium-heavy head, which gentled out after a few long minutes. Goldenly color, no visible sediment.

Smelled of light citrusy fruit - I first marked as an apricot-mango mixture.

Taste - the best aspect of this beer, purely exceptional with vanilla notes hidden in the mainly creamy flavor. I'd like to say there are also very very slight hints of caramel, but mainly this triple tasted of apricot and mango fruits. This triple is unlike other belgians I have had in that it truly hides the strong 8.4%, I could not taste the alcohol.

Mouthfeel - mild mild carbonation that lets you know it's still a beer, this baby smoothes your buds.

Drink - absolutely perfect, would enjoy this all night if possible. (1,068 characters)

Brouwerij Bosteels Tripel Karmeliet:

Rushing carbonation in a sea of crystal clear gold…sitting in my Duvel tulip, she is absolutely stunning under her thick and gossamer-light two inch blanket of rich heady foam. She’s as creamy as bread pudding, with hints of vanilla and lemon…a long, astringent finish completes a beautiful experience. Out-freakin’-standing Tripel, and about as drinkable as they come.

Note: 2nd pour from this 750mL has all kinds of floaties in it…and while the appearance of this pour takes a severe hit, other characteristics remain divine (though a bit more spice in the finish).

Cheers… (628 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Though I've enjoyed this beer on several occasions, including two memorable times with friends in Bruges on Global Beer Tour 2006, this report is on my most recent try.

This past Saturday, my wife and I stayed at the Cannery Pier Hotel near the mouth of the Columbia River in Astoria, OR. From the balcony of our room we could watch the 10am arrival of a large freighter heading up-river, and for that occasion we popped open a big 75cl bottle of Triple Karmeliet. Gorgeous silk-screened green bottle we'd picked up last summer for a bargain price of $4.50 (mis-marked?) at John's in Portland. After unwrapping the cage, the cork almost blew through the ceiling with a very soft push (good thing my eye wasn't in front of it...). A slow gusher of carbonated fizz followed...

A: Hazy golden-wheat color with ample floating yeast sediment. The creamiest & densest white head, rising pour after pour, to over two-fingers high. Sticky rings of lace, a curtain of froth.

S: Tantalizing dry apple, yeast and slight spices.

T: Oh my, as many times as I've enjoyed this beer, it never ceases to amaze me with how delicious it is. The perfect combination of 3 grains (wheat, oats, barley) with the taste of earthy yeast, crispy apples & pears and an herbal, wildflower honey-like spiciness. Wonderfully complex, ever evolving in the mouth, a joy to drink.

M: Lovely, creamy mouthfeel. Crisp, tingly carbonation and a pleasantly bitter finish. Some ever-so-slight alcohol warmth from the 8% abv.

D: A delicious, 'all-star' beer and so very drinkable. Well-balanced between sweet maltiness and a more bitter finish. Excellent mouthfeel. Very highly recommended! (1,669 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Alas, after a short stint of reviewing some of the worst beers possible, I am restoring my faith in brewing with a bottle of Karmeliet.

It pours a rich golden color with a foamy off white head. Not quite the silky top I look for in a Belgian Tripel. Not much lacing either.

The nose is quite complex and will take some warming to be appreciated. Right now, I find spicy Belgian yeasts and peppery alcohol over a bed of ripe tropical and citrus fruits. Some honey grians and candy malts as well.

I was a bit reluctant to drop $5 on a beer I could get for a Euro at a grocery store in Belgium, but this was well worth it. A complex flavor profile that should be enjoyed between cellar and room temperature. As a rainbow of flavors hits my palate, I try to comprehend what I am tasting. I detect a base of bready malts with a salad of buttery sweet yet tart and tangy fruits. Spicy Belgian yeasts and hops blend together perfectly with peppery alcohols.

The velvety mouthfeel compliments the beer perfectly. It has a full body that passes over the tounge like silk. Fine carbonation is present, but does not get in the way.

This well balanced ale presents so much yet lets nothing stand out. I need to find out how to get a keg of this stuff. Delicious. (1,258 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

07 HJ on the back, 330ml brown bottle into maudite snifter.

A - this brew looks magnificent. the body is a bright, clear, bubbly apple juice colour, martinelli's to be specific. the head is big, fluffy, and bright white. the body is a great colour, and the turbidity is good too; it is very transparent, but one cannot see through the body itself, only light is seen, no images. the head falls at a reasonable rate, and leaves some lacing, and a full layer of foam over the top.

S - this is one of the best smelling and strongest smelling tripels I have ever had. wow, where to start. the top notes are of golden malts and some crisp apples and ripe pears; the fruitiness is exceptional, as is the character of the malts. there is a very light underlying spiciness that is blended in perfectly with the malts, which tend to dominate over it. the spiciness is most identifiable as a light pepper. there is also a medium sized character of citrus and honey, though the pear/apple-malt combination tends to overwhelm it. the mid ground is characterized by this honey like sweetness. perhaps some of the alcohol can be smelled one the brew begins to warm.

T - the initial taste is malty, slightly sweet, a bit bitter, and onehundred percent delicious. this barley wheat oat combination is superb, the malts taste so incredibly smooth and consistent. all of the flavours are distinct and very up front with their flavour. first the apple pear combinaiton comes out, using the pears sweetness and the tartness of granny smith apples, this bitter sweetness stays as the hops introduce a more herbal type of bitterness. the finish is sweet, carbonated, and dry. the alcohol comes out most clearly in the finish, it affords a spicy and almost grainy flavour. the aftertaste is more subdued, but then at times it is quite reminding. the aftertaste is primarily malty, with a bit of the bittersweet combination of the pears and apples. the only reason this doesnt get top marks is probably because it was missing some of that certain flavour which is indicative of the style. maybe it comes from the yeast, i dont know, but it just didnt have that concentrated tripel flavour during the finish.

MF&D - the feel is perfect, what can I say. great amounts of small scale carbonation with a medium body. smooth, creamy, mouthcoating: this beer is the perfect embodiment of these characteristics. the carbonation goes down so well for its abundance, it is quite hard to believe. (2,466 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured this into a pint glass and the fun immediately began. The head is voracious and I was only able to pour about half the bottle before I need to let it rest for a bit. Huge pillowy white head on top of a slightly hazed bright straw colored beer.

The aroma coming off this one is truly incredible if you enjoy the Belgian style beers. Very sweet notes, some fruity esters and a slight hint of alchohol all perfectly blended together.

Taste was wonderful. Semi-sweet with a touch of maltiness in there. A small alchohol warmth finishes a swallow beautifully. There is a nice amount of carbonation to play across you tongue in every sip. I took my time with this beer, probably drinking the bottle over the course of 45 minutes or so and the last sip still had foam covering it up.

This is one beer I could drink a lot of and am really wishing I had more on hand. I got my bottle from BuckeyeNation, so thanks go out! Thankfully I discovered a boutique store that carries this fine beverage and it will regularly fit into the rotation. (1,047 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

330 mL bottle from the LCBO; best before Nov 18 2016 and served at cellar temperature.

Pours a bright, clear golden-yellow colour, producing two fingers of fluffy, resilient, sparkling-white head. It seeps away slowly over the next five minutes or so, coating the glass with a layer of lace as it is gradually reduced to a foamy cap and collar. I am getting an interesting blend of fruits on the nose - red apple, pear and banana, with hints of apricot and white grape. Grainy, bready malts, grassy hay and lemony citrus also come through, as well as some spicy clove and yeastiness.

This is an outstanding tripel. Bready malts, grains and sugary sweetness blend beautifully with notes of lemon zest and banana. Orchard fruits - apricot, apple and pear - are also detectable, with the profile taking a spicy turn near the finish. Notes of grassy hay, clove, pepper and lemon pith tie things up nicely, with the alcohol content being borderline noticeable. Extremely effervescent, with absurdly lively carbonation that causes the beer to froth up in the mouth, giving this tripel a very silky-smooth mouthfeel. Between the aggressive carbonation, spicy finish and touch of ethanol heat, this one seems to have an almost tongue-numbing quality to it.

Final Grade: 4.67, an unbelievable A+. Tripel Karmeliet is a fantastic example of one of my favourite Belgian beer styles, and I am glad I had the wherewithal to pick up a second bottle for cellaring purposes. This should be considered a definite must-try for fans of the style, as well as for Belgian abbey-style beer fans in general - the mouthfeel is just exquisite, and the complex flavour profile is sure to raise a few eyebrows. One of the best examples of this style that I've yet imbibed, and something that I wish I could buy year-round - the perfect beer to celebrate my 1000th tick with. (1,852 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

11.2oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Best before 14GK? printed on the bottle.

(A)- Pours a clear yellow orange color that produced a good fluffy, yet effervescent white head. Left tons of lacing behind as it dissipated.

(S)- A fresh fruitiness of banana & lemon with a twist of clove. A wheat/biscuit-like dryness with a touch of yeast & honey. A beautiful smell for the style.

(T)- Pretty much just like the smell. Much more biscuit & clove spice up front, but a more delicate fruit sweetness. Nothing to complain about here; leaves a fresh taste in the mouth.

(M)- A big carbonation level that is near a sparkling level, but it fits the style well. Crisp, with a good dryness & a great fruitiness. Great balance. Smooth stuff.

(D)- A fantastic Tripel. It has everything one should expect from the style. My biggest problems with tripels have been over carbonation or being too spicy with clove or whatnot, however this one has everything in its place & is balanced wonderfully. A definitive example of the style, not to mention one of its best in my opinion. (1,069 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

this beer is a closet staple for me and ive never gotten around to reviewing it.. got the beautiful logo glasses and all that, a proper sitting with a 750 and now its time to review.

deep orange and crystal clear with loads of champagne-like carbonation. head starts out uncontrollably large and airy, shuts down at a medium pace leaving some thick and crispy lacing. looks great especially in the highly-recommended logo glassware.

aroma is candied orange bready and carrying a brandy-like alcohol heat. delicious nose- nothing off or sour to be detected anywhere here. aroma is the true test of a tripel, and this one passes with honors.

starts off with a mouth full of carbonation. malts slip into the forefront with vanilla hints.. immediately overwhelmed by sweet light berries and a syrupy sweetness. mild hop bitterness and bubble activity continues through and adds some contrasting beeriness to the complexity here. easy drinking and a classic for belgian beers.

side note: in belgium, this is a very common for a micro beer, like the sierra nevada of belgium. even the stankiest bars carried it and served in proper glassware. this gave me my first exposure to this beer and the US limited availability has given me a renewed love and appreciation for it. (1,277 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a clear golden colour, with an absolutely enormous white head. Frothy and billowy. Fades fairly quickly but not totally- leaves a small film of white head. Moderate lacing.

Smell is full of light fruit. Peach, mango and orange are all present. Kind of floral. A bit of alcohol is noticeable. Belgian yeast is in the background.

Taste is just fantastic. The fruit is all present (peach, orange, white grape) but is accompanied by a bit of spice which I did not get from the nose. Also a very slight bitterness. Alcohol is incredibly well hidden. Incredibly smooth taste.

Medoum bodied, but incredibly soft and velvety in the mouth. Moderate carbonation made up of incredibly small bubbles- active but no irritation. Great.

Overall- a phenomenal beer and one of the best tripels out there. (798 characters)

Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels