Tripel Karmeliet - Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Tripel |  8.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-27-2001

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tripel Karmeliet Alström Bros

4.19/5  rDev -2.1%

Milky yellow color. Light carbonation rises to the top. Little to no head. Love the smell. I get tangerine, orange, citrus. Awesome aroma. The taste is not too boozy for such a high BAC. It starts off crisp and finishes with a citrusy kick. A light carbonation dances on the tongue after every gulp. Overall, it's a good beer. I love everything about it other than the taste. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible. But for $5+ per bottle, I really expected more.

I would recommend this beer to a friend.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

4.51/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

It has been many years since I first reviewed this beer, and much as it stands as one of my fondest beer memories, times change, palates change, and I feel now that the scores I originally gave it (close to a perfect 5) will now be tempered by experience and maturity. This was a 330ml bottle purchased from Steve's Cool Booze in Kingsford, probably a similar type of location to where I tried my first bottle.

Pours a hazed pale golden colour with the trademark expressive and voluminous head of white bubbles that eventually settle out to a half-centimetre of foam across the top. Some streaks of lace as it goes, but not a lot. Body is very fluid and light and holds rather large-bubbled carbonation.

Nose is fresh and bright, but caressed with those Belgian yeast esters that round it out and provide some sweetness and a little earthiness. Some smooth vanilla tones, a little bit of blunted citrus, clove and a slight peppery note. It's still exceptionally fragrant and extremely complex. Lovely stuff.

Taste is also extremely good. Big smooth body allows a creaminess to permeate throughout the palate, while bright, slightly peppery tones provide colour and sparkle. Despite this, it never in the slightest feels astringent, spicy or hot with booze, and there's a restraint permeating everything: it makes it superbly drinkable despite the complexities and the alcohol. On the back there's just a suggestion of acidity to clean out the palate and provide a satisfying conclusion.

Feel is wonderful. Smooth but light, seemingly full and crisp at the same time. What sort of alchemy is this?

Overall: wow. I actually expected my scores to go down a whole lot from my first review, and they haven't really dropped significantly at all. I'll admit it has been some time since I last drank a Karmeliet, and so maybe I'd just forgotten what a truly wonderful beer this is. Truly, truly excellent.

Old review from 2005-02-19:

Cloudy deep orange amber body with a massive head that billows up no matter how carefully you pour it. It's creamy and beautiful.

Just wonderful nose. Penetrating sweet oranges, what malt, that gorgeous Belgian yeast which seems to stand out all the more in tripels.
Rich and beautiful.

The taste is just divine. Sweetness or syrup perfectly balanced with a lemony sourness and hops bitterness. It stays around for ages, exploring your whole mouth with its plethora of subtle flavours. It's almost impossible to put into words. You can only experience this beer, you can't describe it. This is truly, truly wonderful.

Overall, this is a brilliant beer. One of the best I've ever tasted.

Unbelievably good.

A: 5, S: 5, T: 5, MF: 5, D: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked this bottle up a local grocery store, I checked the ratings on beer advocate and was pleasantly surprised. So the next time I went in I picked it up. I poured into a tulip and it made a very large head.

Appearance - It was pale golden in color, a bit off from the typical Tripel orange color.

Smell - I pick up quite a bit of Brett funk and it smells pretty funky. Immediately following that I pick up on the usual tripel smells.

Taste - A bit of the dry saison taste followed by strong coriander trippel notes. There is a lot of complexity here that I was not at all expecting.

Mouthfeel - A whole lot of carbonation, which I very much like. It has a nice effervescence to it.

Overall - A great beer that strikes me more as a fusion between a saison and a trippel. It wasn't what I was at all expecting, but it was a very nice experience.

4.84/5  rDev +13.1%

Had this one on-tap a bunch, a bottle or two here and there. Finally recording my thoughts I suppose.

A- 375ml bottle poured into a tulip glass. Immediately upon contacting the glass, the beer foams up immensely. Thousands of bubbles release from the beer and form a four finger head with great retention. The head almost last too long, I have to stare for minutes at a mountain of thick cream sticking a centimeter out of the glass. The head never leaves and pretty much turns the glass into a cloud. Superb.

S- Spicy and herbal with some fruit in a strong overall aroma, really jumps out of the glass. Ripe, fresh orange peel mist really comes to mind. Notes of banana, fruity esters, pink peppercorn, coriander, lemon and light grains. Apple, cardamom, grapes and pears come to mind.

T- Flavor is just a beast, no give, a spicy and aggressive Tripel that doesn't back down. This is a quality I always look for in the style. A marriage of huge spice, alcohol and yeasty fruity flavors. Bitter orange zest, lemon peel, pears, apples, white grapes, coriander, cardamom, peppercorns and cooking herbs are all strong flavors here. Some hints of banana, cloves, flowers and alcohol.

MF- Super high carbonation, almost like a champagne level, tickles the palate in a dried out, medium bodied brew. The texture itself is creamy like fresh whipped heavy cream and really helps cut down on the sting of the strong spicy flavors and alcohol, as well as the bubbles. Finishes with some alcohol warming on the palate.

After sitting down with some time, it is hard not to really marvel at the complexity of this brew and just how great it is. Brings some flavors that can be abrasive to the table but they all seem to balance out very well. Not the first time and won't be the last time I have this one, a must try.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

4.19/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from the 33cl brown glass bottle. The blonde hazy beer leaves a nice 1.5 inch white head. A bready aroma predominates. A citrusy, yeasty flavor is evident, light mouthfeel, the high alcohol is not at all evident. This is a unique,, very special beer.

Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels