Tripel Karmeliet - Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Tripel |  8.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-27-2001

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tripel Karmeliet Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev -19.9%

A - A lot foam came up as soon as it was opened. Weird. Maybe someone dropped it and didn't tell us...anyway, once settled, it was a hazy butterscotch color with a 1 ½ inch head that eventually settled to nothing. Looked a lot like sparkling apple cider.

S - Apricot and fruity with a strong alcohol smell.

T - Extremely sweet and highly carbonated. Lots of fruit up front - apple and raison nuances.

M&D - You could feel the heat from the ABV in your throat after a couple sips. Left a sweet and sticky coating in your mouth with an almost dry finish.

Too sweet for my liking but good to try. Good replacement for those who don't like wine. High ABV (8.0) so I wouldn't consider this a session beer.

3.45/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On tap at The Surly Goat in West Hollywood, CA.

Pours a slightly murky light yellow with a beige head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is very fruity with some spice and very floral aromas. Taste is of grain, spice, yeast, and floral flavors. There is an almost medicinal bitterness on the palate that sticks around after each sip. This beer has a low level of carbonation with a somewhat flat mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good tripel but it's much different from what I was expecting.

3.46/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Grabbed this from my local beer store Brewtopia with high recommendations from the crew there. I've had some great authentic and American versions of this style, which is one of my top favorite.

The look had me a bit worried right off, as the pour unveiled a mellow activity, a bit to relaxed
Usually there's a big, towering active white crown to this style, but it never really developed. A bit too clear as well, usually you will notice some nice yeastie haze happening, this one was totally clear....

The aroma was also not what I expect in this style as it was dominated by a fermented green apple, light grains, very tart, which is usually right on, but the aroma was underwhelming at best. Not nearly as complex as some of my favorite's of this style.

The taste was also very tart, fruity tartness, apricots, Sweet and sour but mostly sweet which I found odd. Soft and very subtle spice, not spicy enough IMO, Clean and crisp feel, but like the look just a bit to relaxed in the mouth feel. Not very dry, more juicy than l like. The feel also became cloying, sticky in the finish.

Basically, this one was nearly void of all of the really enjoyable aspects of this style. Perhaps my bottle was a lame duck, because clearly, this is a highly rated version of the style, but I call 'em as I taste 'em. I will give this another shot before I call it good.

3.48/5  rDev -18.7%

A: Pours amber bordering on radiant gold. Nice, appreciable white head.

S: Faint hints of hay, slight malty sweetness, and Belgian yeast funk.

T: Yeast and malts are definitely perceptible, with a bit of a sweet biscuit taste. Belgian yeast funk (somewhat a mix of horse stall and a wheatgrass shot) rounds out the aftertaste, and detracts a little from my satisfaction with the brew.

M: Somewhat thin and watery.

D: I had a good amount of this stuff while I was in Belgium due to the widespread availability. I remember it being more heavy and reminiscent of Leffe there, with the yeast funk taste completely absent. Now that I've had a bottle in the states, I'm not sure I'll want another one. There's nothing really special to distinguish this from a typical blonde other than its slight sweetness.

Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels