Tripel Karmeliet - Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Tripel |  8.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-27-2001

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tripel Karmeliet Alström Bros
2.86/5  rDev -33.2%

Reviewed 3/11/2006 (Pint @ Ginger Man, Austin):

Pours a cloudy orange-yellow colored body, with a small head, and is diminishing. Has an aroma of orange, and some spiciness. Has an odd spice taste to it, some orange, and a fizzy mouthfeel. Kind of flat.

2.87/5  rDev -32.9%

I have not found a brew that I have enjoyed in this style as of yet. I was recommended by a beer store employee that if I don't like this particular tripel, then maybe I just don't like the style. So I bought it to give tripels another try. 11.2oz bottle...

A: Super carbonated bubbles forcing their way to the surface consistently. Veyr light golden color with a thick 2 inch white head that doesn't fades very quickly at all. Holds steady for a while. Very good.

S: Has kind of a bud light scent blended with some strong wheat and oat scents. Ok.

T: I think here's the problem with this style for me. This style's flavor tastes, to me, like a higher end bud light. It has some of the same flavors that a Bud light does. This follows that for me. It has some nice tartness, wheat, and oat that shine through which separate it from msomething like a Bud, but the Bud characteristics are still in it. Guess it's just the style I do not like.

M: Very light. Does not leave many flavors on the palate. Ok.

D: Goes down super easy despite the higher ABV. Very good!

All in all, I figure I just do not like the style. Everything I have tried for Tripels has disappointed me. I hated La Fin Du Monde which so many people love and has a high rating on BA. I have not found any Tripel that I actually enjoyed. So, this just not be my style. If you do not like Tripels than avoid. Otherwise, give this brew a chance for you.

2.91/5  rDev -32%

11.2 oz bottle

App: Straw/Light gold with a slight haze. Frothy white head that quickly dissipates

Smell: I can smell it right from the pour. Sweet and sour fruit. The quintessential aroma of fruit salad covered in lemon juice.

Taste: Greeted by a rush of strong carbonation. Greeted by sweet alcoholic esters. Quickly dries to a malty crisp. Slight sweet flavor throughout. An extremely dry hop flavor with minimal bitterness. A rather subtle flavor, but I prefer a strong one.

Full mouthfeel with a strong carbonation which makes the beer unbalanced.

2.91/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

A: Clear golden-yellow with a large white head of good retention. A very ample head.

S: Scents of pear and apple are drowned out by a Heineken-like odor. Overall, this is quite off putting.

T: The beer resonates throughout the mouth, with a finish both crisp and peppery. There is also a hint of cloves laced in.

M: HIghly carbonated and dry...

O: A disappointing experience. Perhaps I just got a bad bottle, but this had an unappealing aroma and tastes that tended toward cheap cider.

2.96/5  rDev -30.8%

Tasting this beer blind in a tripeltasting I was more ore the less disappointed of it. A smell that is only koreander and paradijszaad, and it was tasting like a (cheap) parfum. Hardly any bitterness and nothing that a lover of belgium ( trappist) tripels( like me) would try again... strangely enough this beer came out second in the tasting so there must be a lot of people that like it.... but not me!

Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels