Tripel Karmeliet - Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Tripel |  8.40% ABV

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tripel Karmeliet Alström Bros

neorunner, Sep 12, 2013

Satan70, Mar 30, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -28.6%

Appearance - 750 ml green bottle. Pours a clear golden color, with a white head. Highly carbonated.

Smell - The aroma is almost honey-sweet. No hop nose on this beer. Something about the aroma reminds me of cheap American lagers. This is not a good thing. There is also a slightly skunky aroma - blame that on the green bottle.

Taste - I appear to have gotten an old bottle. The taste is more or less true tripel - sort of a light, caramely sweet taste, but it is not fresh. Alcohol flavor creeps in as the beer warms. I also detect a grassy flavor.

Mouthfeel - Thick, yet smooth. Appropriate for the style.

Drinkability - Due to the flawed aroma and flavor, this beer is not as drinkable as I would have liked.

Comments - For $7 a bottle, I wish that the brewers would have had the sense to put this beer in a brown bottle. The label says that it wona Gold Medal at the World Beer Cup. I'm guessing that if you can get this fresh, it could be much better.

mgdeth, Jan 18, 2005
3.08/5  rDev -27.9%

Weird like 333 ml bottle, 11oz or something. Murky yellow orange haze. Banana aroma. Some other weird clove and spice combination. Very tiny bubbles.

Taste was dry and sweet, filled mouth up with bubbles, this was too carbonated. Too much stuff a standard American hophead won't really appreciate. Just a weird pharmacuetical grade astringency was what I took away from this.

Beerandraiderfan, Jul 17, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -27.9%

A - Brilliantly clear golden straw. White head that lasts and leaves the Belgian lace. Beautiful beer, but it did explode and ran over after popping the cork, and almost seems too clear to be a tripel...

S - Nice pepper aroma mostly, with light, sweet citrus and pears.

T - Oh. It seems like almost too much going on here. All of the aroma notes are present. Especially the pepper. Sour, sweet. It really doesn't seem to taste like any "standard" tripel. Good thing or poor categorization? I'm also not convinced that I didn't get a skunked bottle. Stupid green bottles.

M - I want to believe this is medium bodied, but it is so carbonated that it turns to foam in my mouth. This makes way too thin bodied.

D - The whole carbonation issue is a problem for me, as well as the clean-but-somehow-muddled flavor.

This isn't a bad beer, but I really didn't enjoy the experience. I would rather call this a Strong Golden or Belgian Specialty. I'll stick with the classic tripels.

jpittman80, May 17, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -27.4%

OK, I can only assume this big green bottle of golden goodness (seriously, aren't green bottles taboo in beer circles?) was mishandled, as there was a TON of crap floating around in this beer. However, I poured as carefully as possible, and ran the last 2-3 inches of the bottle (not the final cm or 2) through a coffee filter, for the final pour.

This was a bottle I got for Christmas 05, and has been stored in a cool dark place since then. I split the bottle with my brother, a budding beer snob. A quick whif of the bottle after removing the cork smelled like skunked heineken. Fighting my urge to pour the bottle into the sink, i poured a little bit into a chalice-y type glass (no glass 'flute' to hold...more of a red wine kind of thing), which produced a thick white head. A sip revealed the beer was still good, just a bit off in odor.

Taste was thick, with lots of citrus and yeasty tones. I wouldn't say I could taste more of one citrus over any other, though there were no sharp tastes (a la grapefruit in an ipa), but they were well balanced by the yeasty flavors, as well.

Basically, I want to try this beer again, as I think it was pretty good. Especially with the suspicion that the bottle may have been around too long, or mishandled at some point, I think it says a lot that it was still a solid experience.

(edit: I just saw the picture...my bottle looked NOTHING like that...green glass with graphics applied directly on a translucent label.... did I have a really OLD bottle, or did I have a NEWly redesigned bottle? Anyone know?)

HaVoKnYnJ, Apr 24, 2006
3.13/5  rDev -26.7%

Pours a dark to medium gold color, with a huge head on the pour with excellent retention. This is going to take a while. (My girlfriend says it is the color of the amber that they extract the dinosaur DNA from in Jurassic Park). The smell is very piney, not in a hoppy way, but somewhat juniper berries. Taste is very sweet, probably overly. Very tart, and somewhat one dimensional. Complexity and shifting flavors are really missing from this beer. Too metallic, and the sweetness is still getting to me. Mouthfeel is fine, but this is somewhat of a dissapointment.

TastyTaste, Feb 15, 2005
3.15/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured from the 750ml bottle - the cork was a bitch to extract. Into the Duvel tulip it goes. Innocuous gold, a ton of bubbles rising up. Requisite large foamy head.

Aroma was yeasty as soon as I popped the cork, similar to many other Belgian golden ales. Some peppery character, some melon rind. Nice, but nothing too out of the ordinary if you're used to blonde Belgians. This could be any number of Belgian Strong Pales.

While this is tasty in a very general way, I'm left kinda flat. Not quite sweet, not quite dry. Not too complex, not too phenolic...you know, just not very tripel-like. Interesting that there are oats in here as well as wheat and barley, and indeed, there's certainly a grainy malt bill. Maybe a little cinnamon, if I stretch, but to me this tastes like a generic Belgian Strong Pale.

Feel is a little raspy, nothing unexpected. I was hoping the oats would yield a smoother feel, akin to an oatmeal stout, but no dice.

Drinkability is only average. I was expecting more from the brewers of DeuS. To me, this tastes like a beginner Belgian strong ale, though I do see many reviewers who would disagree with me.

Patrick999, May 25, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

No thanks for this one. I thought this one was waaay to sweet. It had the similar elements of most Belgians, but much more sweeter. I also noticed the ever present element of skunk, which was present in the taste, as well as the smell. I was not happy with this one and just consider this one a mark in the "L" column.

JISurfer, Oct 09, 2003
3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

Pours out light yehoow and sits amber in the glass with a good sized white fluffy head. Great sticking power with wonderful lacings. Some of the best head retention I've ever seen.

Smell is all about the spice, just swirls around you nostrils and tickles the back of your nose. Sweet and malty with a hint of lemon/grassiness peeking out.

Taste is quite peppery to be fair. Lightly sweet and dry on the finish. Medium amount of bitterness, with a light backing of alcohol.

Pretty light in the mouth with a truckload of carbonation. Scratchy going down, leaving your wondering why you should be trying to mouth it down.

Skidz, Jun 29, 2004
3.23/5  rDev -24.4%

Appearance - Burnished golden brown with a ample and dense head of very small white bubbles.

Aroma - Ripe apples and pears, banana followed by juicy malt. Subsequent sips reveal cooked fruit, a candy floss like caramelised sugar note and even a whiff of mint!

Taste - Powerful citrus and lemony hops/wheat malt mixed with a roasted barley malt flavour. More cooked fruit and caramelised sugar, finishing with obvious warming alcohol and a medicinal sourness.

Mouthfeel - Slightly overcarbonated, surprsingly light for its strength and taste.

Overall - It has all the right ingredients to be a quality abbey beer, however, it lacked something for me. Perhaps more fresh hoppiness or less carbonation and sourness. When broken down, each part of it is good but together, the experience just doesnt sit well with me.

Perhaps I need to try another bottle to get a more rounded experience.

DaveUK, Mar 10, 2008
3.24/5  rDev -24.1%

Pours into a transparent light gold color with a nice head. Smells like a Hoegaarden. Orange peel, coriander, some lemon, some vanilla. High carbonation, light body. It tastes like an improved version of Hoegaarden with a fancier flavor. As it gets warmer it tastes more like a hard liquor. Similar to the Kwak. Half way, at room temperature you forget you are drinking a beer and you wonder if you are having a peach liquor.

tomordonez, Jun 15, 2014