Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Tripel Karmeliet - Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Tripel |  8.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-27-2001

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tripel Karmeliet Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,241 | Hads: 3,731
3.65/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: Head was made of big bubbles and stayed for a long time. Dark amber, lots of carbonation.

Smell: Very subtle and light, hints of citrus and delicate flowers.

Taste: No flavors really stood out to me. There was a mildly spicy alcohol bite, but overall it was pretty light and satisfying.

Feel: A little thick and creamy, sort of weird with so much carbonation but definitely not unpleasant.

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%

Pouring a gold/slightly amber color w/ 3 inches of head with lots of sustanance and very spongy but while dissipating finally, not much cling on the glass; nice cascading as well. Aromas are pretty grainy, reminding me of oatmeal with some citrus aromas and possibly some cherries and spice- very complex...tough to determine exactly, but great aroma! Taking a sip, i notice some spicy nutmeg and cherries that jump out w/ some citrus tones (limes) and lots of sugar; very complex as well. Feel is pretty carbonated that stings your tongue a little too muchl; some nice alcohol burn on the finish, but light bodied and warming! Decent brew, but not my favorite belgian ever.

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%

A - orange-gold, slight haze, pillowy white head, eventually recedes, leaves a bit of lace clinging to the glass.

S - soft fresh scent, lemons, flowers, herbs, underpinning of cotton-candy sweetness, really nice zing at the end of peppery spice

T - a little sweeter than I was expecting from the aroma, peppery finish brings an exciting end to things.

M - very snappy in the mouth, stinging, spicy finish combines with alcohol for quite a burn down the throat. Carbonation does give it a nice body, but overall the mouthfeel smacks you around a bit.

D - The pepper and alcohol are holding it back, although it does add to the excitement.

Kept hearing about Karmeliet being so different. I finally give it a whirl, and it is certainly distinct... I hope you like pepper in your tripel. This is a good beer, and I'm certainly not put off by it's agressiveness, but I'm having a hard time deciding if it is something I really like or not.

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%

Sadly I lack the proper glassware for this beer. Nonetheless, in a pint glass head was abundent and hung around with some fairly large bubbles. Color was dark amber with some cloudiness. Odor was fruity and slightly earthy with a certain effervescence.

First sip revealed a sweet malty taste with very little hop taste. The beer had what I wrote was a "mature" alcohol taste...a sweet, pleasant slightly burning sensation, like a bourbon.

After some recent bad experiences with what must have been very old imported beer, I have to say this brought me back into the fold. 8% alcohol probably helps this beer stand up over time...and a 98% rating likely means that it moves off the shelf in a reasonable amount of time.

11.2 oz bottle.

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours a hazy yellow with an enormous head, so big I had to let it settle a little while. The head lasts through the glass, and ample lacing as well. First aroma caught me by surprise, fruit, but not sweet. Grapefruit and sour aromas. The taste was acidic, with alcohol up front and a slight dried fruit mouthfeel. Clean dry finish though, with hints of spices coming out. Didn't see this one coming, a fine ale, I just wasn't crazy about it.

3.66/5  rDev -13.7%

My bottle looks just like the one in the picture. Label claims this is a three grain brew - wheat, oat and barley. No adjuncts listed on the Russian import label. Best before 3/25/05, I opened it on 4/24/04.

Pours a cloudy orangeish gold under a one finger white head that featured lots of big bubbles and disappeared quickly, leaving no lace. That's not at all what I look for in a Tripel. The nose is full of sweet candy sugar, with a touch of either anise or Grand Marnier Orange. The mouth is very prickly and light, like a heck of a lot of other beers. The taste features the sweet of candy and fruit liquer, with lots of sweet Belgian yeast to remind that this is a beer. The finish includes a crisp hoppy bite (OK, now I know it's beer), while the aftertaste recalls sweet fruitiness and fruity bitterness (a la cranberries). It's good, but there are many much better.

3.67/5  rDev -13.4%

Good lacing and an attractive head (on pour, at least).

Apple and lemon are some of the bright fruits that shine through in the aroma.

The flavour is a citrus buzz with some lighter fruits also in the bouqet, such as bannana and apple. Floral spice is also distinctly recognisable.

It's a perfect beer to start a session, but due to its sweetness definately isn't something you can have more than a couple of.

I'll recomend James Squire's Golden Ale to anyone in Australia who wants a similar brew at a fraction of the cost.

3.67/5  rDev -13.4%

Rockbottom Brewery featured this beer. Unfortunately they served it in a tall pilsner flute.

A) Thick, golden, clear with active white 1 inch head

S) Has a floral, musty scent but sweet too and consistent with Belgian triples.

T) Honey & pear with clove, sweet caramel and
mild hops

M) Ample carbonation, smooth but alcohol is abundant. Smooth & strong beer

D) Very good. Careful, strong stuff...

3.67/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I see that a lot of people really like this brew. I really wanted to like it. I... wanted to, but alas... I guess I just don't care much for tripels. The color was very nice, golden sunlight with a beautiful creamy head. As William Shatner would say, I can definitely get behind that. But then I smelled and tasted it. It's that damned aftershave meets mouthwash taste I can't stand. So I might be a bit harsh here. I do like Belgians. A lot. But just not tripels. However, as my ratings suggest, I tried really hard not to let my distaste for the style affect my overall judgment of the beer. Others may love it. I just don't.

3.67/5  rDev -13.4%

Presentation: Poured from a green 750ml Tripel Karmeliet bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet tulip-style glass. The glass was huge (probably held 20oz) and super cool. I was very impressed that the Idle Rich had the proper glassware for this one.

A: The head was only about 1/2 finger tall and faded almost instantly and this beer left no lacing on the glass. Mild carbonation bubbles emanate from the bottom.

S: This beer smelled quite good. Up front were smells of pear and sour apple and oats in the back.

T: This beer tastes quite clean, but less "refreshing" than most tripels I have experience with. It was very spicy, and not necessarily in a good way because there didn't seem to be enough sweetness to balance this out. The one saving grace were the oats used in this brew did help to smooth it out and they were evident in the taste.

M: This beer was undercarbonated for the style, which tends to be very high so for me it felt a little thin as well. Not as effervescent as I would prefer in a tripel.

D: I found myself having a hard time drinking this beer quickly. It took me probably 2 - 2.5 hours to finish a 750ml because the beer was too peppery without the sweetness and carbonation to offset that. It was also extremely dry, although maybe not as much so as say Orval. I wish it hadn't been so dry though as I felt this hurt its overall drinkability.

Overall: I am not sure I would drink this one out of a 750ml again. It warmed to probably 60-65 degrees by the time I was able to finish it, and while tripels are easier to drink up to higher temperatures than some other styles it was over 80 degrees last night and I guess I was looking for something a little more refreshing. If I had the opportunity to share this with a friend next time or found a smaller bottle I would probably seek it out again.

A: Pale amber/honey. White, tightish head
S: Honeycomb/vanilla, malt milkshake. Subtle yeast extract/vegemite note.
F: Strong malt complexity, seedy spice. Cloying flavour. Hops are restrained. Light/mild bitterness.
M: Medium to full body, long
O: Very malty, milkshaky... for the sweet-tooth

3.68/5  rDev -13.2%

Appearance: beautiful deep gold color, a lushous two-fingered layer of white foam, lots of rising bubbles, good head retention, flecks of lace

Aroma: dusty, cinnamony, malty, honey-like sweetness, floral hops, plummy fruitiness, perfumy (sage and roses?)

Flavor: mellow and round sweetness with a sort of musty undertone (perhaps from the oats?), a bit fruity and peppery, nice hop flavor, finishes dryish with a honey-ed aftertaste, slight acrid lingering flavor like saccharine

Mouthfeel: medium body, vigorous carbonation, soothing alcohol warmth

Overall Impression: I know this is one of the more "mainstream" beers in Belgium, but I think it's quite good despite that. Hadn't had one in a long timem, so I had kind of forgotten how good it is. The only detracting factor is that it is quite gassy (lots of burps) and the sweetness tends to stack up a bit and become almost cloying after a while.

3.68/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured bottle into tulip glass.

A: Gold, slight haze, minimal lacing.

S: Citrus with hints of spice.

T: Tastes like it smells, orange coriander spice.

M: Low carbonation, medium body, creamy.

D: Light beverage that goes down easily due to creamy body and refreshing smell and taste, the high ABV could get one in trouble with how fast this beer may be consumed!

3.68/5  rDev -13.2%

A: Clear vibrant golden color. Poured with a quarter finger of white head. Some sticky lacing. Exactly what you want in a tripel.

S: Beautiful and vibrant mix of esters and clean grain. Little bit of sweetness. Zero alcohol presence. I usually get and like apple in a tripel but I did not get any. I really could not pick out any particular fruits but the nose was enjoyable.

T: Again tons of esters up front.The grain comes across nice and clean. It has everything you want in the style. It just tastes a little bit hollow. The alcohol is very well hidden.

M: Medium body with a little bit of thickness. The sharp carbonation faded quickly in my tulip.

D: I liked this beer I just think there are better examples out there by far. This is also a super expensive beer which also means it is not something I would grab normally.

3.69/5  rDev -13%

This beer looks magnificent! A pillow of white foam caps a cloudy golden beer. A plume of bubbles streams from the bottom of my tulip. The smell is of sweet honey and to a lesser degree, various citrus fruits. Grassy wheat fields as well. And alcohol.

This is the most over the top tripel I've had to date. Sweet and alcoholic up front. Lemon- lime orangy tangerines too. The sweet honey attempts to balance this, to no avail. Grassy hops play a small role. The mouthfeel is not as carbonated as I'd like in a tripel, despite the foam. I wouldn't want more than one of these in a night, unusual for me with tripels. I might like this with a little more age on it.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

I find this beer to be a bit overrated but i can see it getting better with a year of cellaring ( maybe ). It pours clear and yellow with a moderate head that dissappears quickly. lacks the creaminess of a classic belgian trippel. races down the throat in a soupy way, seems undercarbonated. slight piney sweetness to it, and a hoppy finish but not bitter. Interesting, but if you are looking for a classic belgian trippel go elsewhere. Bosteels least desirable brew. But good nonetheless.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Tripel Karmeliet comes in a really nice bottle. It has a pale orange colour and a big head that lasts. The smell is mostly Belgian yeast with a hint of cloves. The taste is all yeast up front into a real kick of alcohol and cloves. This beer has a very intense taste, but I don't really like it. The combination of cloves and alcohol is overpowering.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours golden, well carbonated, and with a solid head that diminished.

Smell is light. Some honey, a little bit of pepper, some slight orange peel but not too much going on.

The taste of this beer is something. Initially there's honey with a hint of vanilla. Then there's a medium spice of pepper. There's no noticeable hop flavoring that I can pick up on. You can definitely tell that it's made with wheat, it makes it pretty smooth. The malts mixed with the yeast really shine in the taste. The alcohol warms up nicely, a pretty bold beer.

This is a good beer. I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to find it, but it's solid. If you come across it, give it a try.

After reviewing, I read the other reviews and think that the beer might vary mildly batch to batch, maybe it's the yeast. It doesn't seem like it's hit or miss...but hit or pretty good. If that makes sense.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Served in a fluted Tripel Karmeleit 8 oz. glass.

A: Gold, clear, with fine carbonation and a soft frothy head.

S: Banana, clove, slight malt aroma.

T: More banana and clove, with some biscuit and candi sugar. Hops are hidden or absent.

M: Very nice fine carbonation that is soft on the tongue.

D: I could drink maybe 1 or 2 of these.

A bit banal compared to other Belgian tripels I have had, but still worth trying.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Crisp clear light golden with an active and frothy cap of snow white head that quickly dissipates to a thin white splat and ring. Just a wee bit of fine sediment. Sweet alcohol and yeast in the nose.

Sweet sugary starfruit with strong yeasty wheaty flavor. Tangy alcohol takes up the aftertaste. Light bdy and lively dancing carbonation.

Not something you throw back a few of, but very tasty brew!

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Bottle purcahsed at a BC liquor store.

I had this in Brussels a few weeks before I bought this bottle. For some reason, the "good stuff" always tastes better when youre "over there".

Appearance: Gold with fluffy yet "wet" head. The head disappated quickly.

Smell: Almost a soapy aroma with definite alcohol and light fruit. Like white grapes.

Taste: I'm getting a lot of alcohol in the taste. The alcohol also adds some sweetness. A slightly bready flavour is present. Probably from the standard Belgian yeastiness.

Mouthfeel: Despite the huge head, the beer is nicely carbonated. Very little bitterness in the aftertaste.

Drinkability: When I was in Belgium I could have drunk this all night. However, the alcohol is a little too present in this bottle to be highly drinkable.

Overall: The flavours are great, apart from the over abundance of alcohol(hence the 3.5 rating). Perhaps while in Belgium my palate got accustomed to very high alcohol brews and thus this seemed more drinkable to me when I was there.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

330 ml bottle

A: Pours golden with a moderate bubbly head. Little lacing.

S: Yeasty aromas, banana, moderate phenols, pineapple.

T: Quite sweet up front with a decent amount of candy sugar in the taste. The sweet quickly mellows to a more balanced taste that features more of the fruity flavors advertised in the aroma. Strongly phenolic in the finish.

M: Medium-bodied with high, abrasive carbonation. Sticky texture.

D: Pretty tasty, but nothing special. Not as cloying or sugary as some in its style.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours a murky golden color. Strong floral aroma with peaches?, apples?, and pears? Smells pretty good.

Taste's pretty good, but doesn't really live up to the smell. Very complex malt/yeast background, with strong pear and apple flavoring ... but it gets to be a bit much on the sweet side. Lots of earthy spices. Nice level of carbonation, as the big white head slowly dissipated.

I'd drink again, but not in the same sitting. Half a bottle was just about right.

3.7/5  rDev -12.7%

Taken from notes. Had this on draft at Birreria Paradiso in DC a few months back.

A: A clear yellow brew with a nice thick head, that quickly dissipated.

S: Sweetness, lightness, goodness - with no bitterness.

T: Initially effervescent with light citrus, some sweet malt on the tongue, fairly dry and not too complex.

M: Thick, creamy, bubbly on the tongue, dry.

D: I don't know about this one... it's certainly a nice tripel, but it's not very complex or dynamic - you drink it, flavor hits the tongue, and it's gone - nothing really gives it much to get you interested in drinking a lot more.

3.72/5  rDev -12.3%

330ml bottle. 19/09/16. Straw coloured. Towering, frothy white head, good retention with some lacing. Effervescent. Aroma of yeast, cloves, lemon, wheat and perfume. Slightly medicinal. Light sweetness and similar bitterness. Light to medium bodied, effervescent and creamy. Pleasant alcohol warmth. An interesting drop in terms of aroma and taste but the mouthfeel of this one is superb and the more I drink, the more I enjoy it. 8.

Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels