Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Tripel Karmeliet - Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Tripel |  8.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-27-2001

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tripel Karmeliet Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,241 | Hads: 3,730
4.58/5  rDev +8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle code C-03-CABF 3.38 03:01 at 45 degrees into own glass
Aroma fruity, somewhat like apples or pears
Head large (6 cm), off-white, creamy with occasional large bubble, slowly diminishing
Lacing OK, basically separate clots
Body straw colored with slight yeast haze with some rising bubbles but not enough to be considered sparkling
Flavor slightly sweet, no hint of roasted malts. Well attenuated. Slightly spicey with a late slight alcohol burn.
Body light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

While not a big fan of triples, this one is pretty good. The subdued alcohol taste makes it easy to drink.

Clear golden, white head with good formation and retention. In the nose fruity, spicy and orange, maltiness in second plan with earthiness os yeast. In the taste nice balance, maltiness, orange and yeast fruitness really in equilibirum. Really great belgian tripel, one of my favorites

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

My impression of this beer with a quick taste before analyzing was that it was a classic, nicely balanced, smooth Belgian beer. It's always hard to review a beer that doesn't wow you, but impressed you with its simplicity, so...

The beer pours yellow, translucent to hazy, and you can see the carbonation that feed the substantial head. I don't get a strong nose, but there's some banana and maybe a slight hint of lemon.

The taste starts out a little yeasty and definitely carbonated. This carbonation holds as the taste adds a little tartness. A bit of banana sneaks in as well. The starting taste, however, remains as the backbone throughout. The rest of the tastes simply accent the flavor.

4.73/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A-hazy gold color with a large white head that did not go away and left a large lace
S-spicy pepper, wheat and some lemon
T-Banana with spice and a hint of pepper and lemon, that goes to a spicy lemon aftertaste with a warming as the glass warmed
M- creamy and high carbonation that seems to be light body but once the creamyness goes down maybe medium body
O-Very complex with lots going on at the same time. Everytime I took a sip I had to add a note.

4.76/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Tripel Karmeliet... I chose to drink out of a snifter at cellar temperature. I like the sort of medieval, rustic-looking label. Heh.

The three-finger head on this beauty doesn't last particularly long, but at first when I was pouring, let me tell you, it was an unstoppable fizzy force. Color-wise, the head is pure white and the beer is a vibrant liquid gold.

The aroma is like a fragrant perfume. It's floral - like, actually VERY similar to flowers, and has a delightful mix of fruity scents interwoven throughout the bouquet (wow, sounding snobbish, here). I definitely get some citrus, but also probably green apples, mango, and maybe even pineapple! And of course, this being a Belgian beer, their is also a bready note underneath everything. An amazing aroma.

Oh my. I wasn't quite prepared for such a flavor. I mean... WOWSA. Tart (but not too tart) apple and citrus fruitiness balanced with an abundance of profoundly sweet (but not too sweet), malty breadiness. It's got a satisfying, lingering finish with the bready taste, accompanied by slightly bitter hoppiness as the fruitiness sort of dries up. Sensational.

The feel is perfection. This is an effervescent ale, but when it hits my tongue and I'm prepared for the bite of high carbonation, it instead just kind of melts in my mouth. Yup. It's not just food that can do that. This tripel does it too. How can a liquid "melt?" I don't know.

A marvelous beer, brewed with authentic, traditional Belgian style. That's what this is.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-hazy golden color with a nice off-white head and good lacing

S-yeast, malt, bananas, spices, pepper, hint of lemon

T-wheat, bananas, coriander, cloves, yeasty, little lemon, pepper, crisp bitter hop finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp

O-I found this Tripel quite unique, it has a bit of saison-like character to it

4.94/5  rDev +16.5%

A-pours a creamy golden yellow ,with crazy bubbles streaming.

S-lemon -pepper , grains, breads,vanilla ,banana,some clove and spices.

T-has a hint of alcohol ,but this is where this beer impresses. at first its lemon zest grainy flavor is robust ,followed by a smooth ,crisp and refreshing dryness to finish like a champagne.
OUTSTANDING! ...very poundable.

M-the carbonation is great ,and really brings out the sweet/bitter dryness that is epic!

O-this is my favorite beer in this style. It is a little on the lighter side as far as look and taste and is very drinkable ..it has a uniqueness that supersedes anything it lacks in tradition.

purchased at total wine in naples,fl for 15.99$ for a 4-pk of 11.2 oz bottles.

3.99/5  rDev -5.9%

Tap pour into goblet at babo market in Ann Arbor.

A: Dark goldish yellow with typical tripel lacing
S: Sweet fruit, lots of banana and spice
T: The spice and sweet smells continue uninterrupted into the taste, which is surprisingly sharp and defined for a tripel. Banana, pepper, and wheat are the first flavors that spring to mind.
M: Strong carbonation with this tripel. Slightly syrupy finish that coats the mouth nicely and helps back up the "sugariness" of this beer that perhaps help explain the name.
O: I can't say it's my favorite tripel. There's a lot of good ones out there and this is to me lacks the depth of some of the other Belgians and even some American examples. But the crispness here, enhanced by healthy carbonation, is a pleasant surprise.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into tulip glass
A-hazy golden color with a creamy white head
S-sweet banana, vanilla and citrus aroma
T-same as aroma but with spice wheat and oats
M-goo carbonation well balanced of bitterness spice and sweetness with the citrus
O-great tripel great wheat taste and light wonderful amounts of sweetness and spice,

4.16/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle: Best before 03/2014

A: Looks like a nice, clear pilsener in color. Huge active wheat head. Many tiny scrubby bubbles that eventually slow to a mild steady stream of CO2. Got a tiny bit of yeast in the bottom, much less than I was expecting. My guess is it was bottled with some carbonation already, perhaps at lager temperatures, and given the small amount I noticed for extra zip. Much less yeast than, say a hefeweizen.

S: Really mild smell, which gives me deep mellow malt with mostly Belgian yeast aromomatics. Familiar Belgian spices, alcohol, and mild grain. Hiding well is an herbal, lemon pepper nose.

T: Full on lemony, herbal, slight pepper, alcohol, smooth simple malts. Pilsener and wheat malts provide a stage for an incredible Saaz hop showcase. The alcohol carries the hop presence all over the mouth, while allowing the grainy malts to finish the race. Mild-medium hop bitterness, mostly herbal, some spiciness. Belgian yeast is present, but remains clean, allowing the hops to shine followed by the simple malts. Good acidity to keep the sips coming and flavor refreshing.

M: Active carbonation for the style seems appropriate. It seems a bit much, but it keeps it exciting in the flavor department. Moderately soft water keeps bitterness low, but highly flavorful. Thin, mostly watery alcohol with a light and barely sweet finish. Malt sticks on the tongue well after the drink, low astringency.

O: An idyllic Belgian Tripel Ale. A true nod to the pilsener heritage with tons of Saaz hops and clean, crisp drinking experience. The Karmeliet abby cleverly used wheat and oat as they advertise instead (or in addition to) Belgian candi sugar. This provides extra alcohol and grain flavor while remaining dry. The balance in this beer is so complex, with low aromatics, big hop flavor, low bitterness and lots of oomph. For me, this is a whimsical blend of classic Saaz hop flavor with high quality malts brewed in the Belgian tradition and is remarkable every sip of the way.

3.46/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Grabbed this from my local beer store Brewtopia with high recommendations from the crew there. I've had some great authentic and American versions of this style, which is one of my top favorite.

The look had me a bit worried right off, as the pour unveiled a mellow activity, a bit to relaxed
Usually there's a big, towering active white crown to this style, but it never really developed. A bit too clear as well, usually you will notice some nice yeastie haze happening, this one was totally clear....

The aroma was also not what I expect in this style as it was dominated by a fermented green apple, light grains, very tart, which is usually right on, but the aroma was underwhelming at best. Not nearly as complex as some of my favorite's of this style.

The taste was also very tart, fruity tartness, apricots, Sweet and sour but mostly sweet which I found odd. Soft and very subtle spice, not spicy enough IMO, Clean and crisp feel, but like the look just a bit to relaxed in the mouth feel. Not very dry, more juicy than l like. The feel also became cloying, sticky in the finish.

Basically, this one was nearly void of all of the really enjoyable aspects of this style. Perhaps my bottle was a lame duck, because clearly, this is a highly rated version of the style, but I call 'em as I taste 'em. I will give this another shot before I call it good.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

probably the second best tripel out there, behind only the one from westmalle, which to me is the end all and be all of the style. this one pours a lot more clear than that one, yellowy and shiny with an inch of really active white bubbles and soda looking carbonation racing to the surface. the nose is sweet, probably from the oats, and the yeast is nicely bready. light fruit notes as well, maybe pears or green apples. the taste is immediately peppered from the yeast, spicy really, quite intense as it finishes. its a good balance with the sweeter malt. the feel is probably what makes this what it is, a beer of lore. that's because its ultra carbonated with an extremely dry finish. it tickles my tongue quite hard, and swallows easy with just the pepper left on my tongue. soft pepper, white pepper, but pepper all the same. just a hint of warm alcohol too, maybe a little more than necessary, prevents sessionability, but I like whats going on here overall, an excellent example of a Belgian tripel.

4.06/5  rDev -4.2%

From local Brussels/Ixelles grocery store, part of Tripel tasting, poured into the only appropriate glass I have (chalice) in my rented apartment.

Nearly two fingers white head, small bubbles, pretty fast dissipation. Fruity nose, sweet, peaches, green apple with light coriander aroma in the finish. The pepper notes are a bit more pronounced in the taste, pushing the fruitiness aside. Full mouthfeel, average effervescence, lingering coriander in the finish. A pretty full bodied and spicy variation on the style, certainly unique in my experience. Worth a try for fans of the style.

4.19/5  rDev -1.2%

Milky yellow color. Light carbonation rises to the top. Little to no head. Love the smell. I get tangerine, orange, citrus. Awesome aroma. The taste is not too boozy for such a high BAC. It starts off crisp and finishes with a citrusy kick. A light carbonation dances on the tongue after every gulp. Overall, it's a good beer. I love everything about it other than the taste. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible. But for $5+ per bottle, I really expected more.

I would recommend this beer to a friend.

4.51/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

It has been many years since I first reviewed this beer, and much as it stands as one of my fondest beer memories, times change, palates change, and I feel now that the scores I originally gave it (close to a perfect 5) will now be tempered by experience and maturity. This was a 330ml bottle purchased from Steve's Cool Booze in Kingsford, probably a similar type of location to where I tried my first bottle.

Pours a hazed pale golden colour with the trademark expressive and voluminous head of white bubbles that eventually settle out to a half-centimetre of foam across the top. Some streaks of lace as it goes, but not a lot. Body is very fluid and light and holds rather large-bubbled carbonation.

Nose is fresh and bright, but caressed with those Belgian yeast esters that round it out and provide some sweetness and a little earthiness. Some smooth vanilla tones, a little bit of blunted citrus, clove and a slight peppery note. It's still exceptionally fragrant and extremely complex. Lovely stuff.

Taste is also extremely good. Big smooth body allows a creaminess to permeate throughout the palate, while bright, slightly peppery tones provide colour and sparkle. Despite this, it never in the slightest feels astringent, spicy or hot with booze, and there's a restraint permeating everything: it makes it superbly drinkable despite the complexities and the alcohol. On the back there's just a suggestion of acidity to clean out the palate and provide a satisfying conclusion.

Feel is wonderful. Smooth but light, seemingly full and crisp at the same time. What sort of alchemy is this?

Overall: wow. I actually expected my scores to go down a whole lot from my first review, and they haven't really dropped significantly at all. I'll admit it has been some time since I last drank a Karmeliet, and so maybe I'd just forgotten what a truly wonderful beer this is. Truly, truly excellent.

Old review from 2005-02-19:

Cloudy deep orange amber body with a massive head that billows up no matter how carefully you pour it. It's creamy and beautiful.

Just wonderful nose. Penetrating sweet oranges, what malt, that gorgeous Belgian yeast which seems to stand out all the more in tripels.
Rich and beautiful.

The taste is just divine. Sweetness or syrup perfectly balanced with a lemony sourness and hops bitterness. It stays around for ages, exploring your whole mouth with its plethora of subtle flavours. It's almost impossible to put into words. You can only experience this beer, you can't describe it. This is truly, truly wonderful.

Overall, this is a brilliant beer. One of the best I've ever tasted.

Unbelievably good.

A: 5, S: 5, T: 5, MF: 5, D: 4.5

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked this bottle up a local grocery store, I checked the ratings on beer advocate and was pleasantly surprised. So the next time I went in I picked it up. I poured into a tulip and it made a very large head.

Appearance - It was pale golden in color, a bit off from the typical Tripel orange color.

Smell - I pick up quite a bit of Brett funk and it smells pretty funky. Immediately following that I pick up on the usual tripel smells.

Taste - A bit of the dry saison taste followed by strong coriander trippel notes. There is a lot of complexity here that I was not at all expecting.

Mouthfeel - A whole lot of carbonation, which I very much like. It has a nice effervescence to it.

Overall - A great beer that strikes me more as a fusion between a saison and a trippel. It wasn't what I was at all expecting, but it was a very nice experience.

4.84/5  rDev +14.2%

Had this one on-tap a bunch, a bottle or two here and there. Finally recording my thoughts I suppose.

A- 375ml bottle poured into a tulip glass. Immediately upon contacting the glass, the beer foams up immensely. Thousands of bubbles release from the beer and form a four finger head with great retention. The head almost last too long, I have to stare for minutes at a mountain of thick cream sticking a centimeter out of the glass. The head never leaves and pretty much turns the glass into a cloud. Superb.

S- Spicy and herbal with some fruit in a strong overall aroma, really jumps out of the glass. Ripe, fresh orange peel mist really comes to mind. Notes of banana, fruity esters, pink peppercorn, coriander, lemon and light grains. Apple, cardamom, grapes and pears come to mind.

T- Flavor is just a beast, no give, a spicy and aggressive Tripel that doesn't back down. This is a quality I always look for in the style. A marriage of huge spice, alcohol and yeasty fruity flavors. Bitter orange zest, lemon peel, pears, apples, white grapes, coriander, cardamom, peppercorns and cooking herbs are all strong flavors here. Some hints of banana, cloves, flowers and alcohol.

MF- Super high carbonation, almost like a champagne level, tickles the palate in a dried out, medium bodied brew. The texture itself is creamy like fresh whipped heavy cream and really helps cut down on the sting of the strong spicy flavors and alcohol, as well as the bubbles. Finishes with some alcohol warming on the palate.

After sitting down with some time, it is hard not to really marvel at the complexity of this brew and just how great it is. Brings some flavors that can be abrasive to the table but they all seem to balance out very well. Not the first time and won't be the last time I have this one, a must try.

4.19/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from the 33cl brown glass bottle. The blonde hazy beer leaves a nice 1.5 inch white head. A bready aroma predominates. A citrusy, yeasty flavor is evident, light mouthfeel, the high alcohol is not at all evident. This is a unique,, very special beer.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very clear, with a tiny amount of haze floating in there. Big 2 finger soap bubble head.

Smell is hard to describe. Slightly chalky, smooth light sugar.

Taste again mildly chalky, smooth sweet soft. 8.4% alcohol hidden extremely well.

If the carbonation was toned down 1.5 notches, mouthfeel would be perfect.
As it warms it becomes not quite as good.

3.37/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the 11.2 oz. bottle into a stemmed tulip glass.

a: Clear gold with an explosively huge fluffy white head which receded slowly to extensive surface foam and some large irregular patches of lacing. Last pour turned the body cloudy with yeast sediment.

s: Very strong, almost chokingly strong, ripe fruit. Uh oh.

t: Farmhouse saisonlike sour overripe spiced fruit. Rather reminiscent of but even stronger tasting than my first encounter with Goose Island Sofie. Wasn't expecting that.
m: Moderate, sourness overpowers all else.

o: I'm more used to this type of flavor than I was when I first tried Sofie. Just not digging it as much as I had hoped. Clearly my palate needs more schooling since this is a top rated BA brew. Perhaps an old bottle though, since others report milder flavors. No explanation of the code on Dating Beer, but there is a Best Before block on the label, with H. B.G. B.E. 3.25 10:38 in it, whatever that means. Bottle conditioned so perhaps the yeast just went wild. It really does taste like a pungent Farmhouse Saison rather than a Tripel.

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Blonde, cloudy, 3 finger head, moderate carbonation

S: Moderately fruity and floral, undertones of spice

T: Spice notes hit you initially and throughout the glass in a very gentle way. Smells of clove and citrus, but taste is subtle. A bright, refreshing finish with honeysuckle on the back of the tongue

M: Just the right amount of carbonation flowing gently through the palate.

O: Really clean and crisp beer. Well integrated flavors complementing each other with no one specific flavor dominating.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 75 cL Belgian bottle into a tulip glass, bottle "best by" date is 4-4-15, drank on 10/11/13. Pours a brilliantly clear gold color with a large white head . Lots of visible carbonation. Smell is very fruity and yeasty, some citrus to it. Taste has a little funk to it and a lot of yeast character, fades into a lingering alcoholic sensation with a slight hop bitterness. Highly carbonated mouthfeel balances the strong flavor nicely for a good crisp finish. Overall a very good beer, traditional tripel style.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

330mL bottle

I never mention bitterness in my reviews, my bitterness taste buds are ridiculously under-

APPEARANCE : Hazy golden/yellow with a very, very generous white fluffy head. Beautiful, even though the head can be somewhat excessive.

SMELL : First nose is malty hay and yeasts. Second nose adds some fruit to the mix, typical of the tripel style - banana, peach. Flowers as well. Third nose amplifies on the previous two, with a touch of booze, but this is definitely positive.

TASTE : Follows the nose. Yeasts, malts, discreet hops blending in with a hay side. Fruits.

MOUTHFEEL : Ample, rich and generous. Great, great texture. The mouthfeel is probably this beer's strongest point. Incredibly pleasing.

OVERALL : One of the very, very good tripels I've had. Maybe not as awesomely incredible as the Westmalle Tripel, but definitely up there with the big boys. I'm so glad this beer is easily accessible in my area.

4.89/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Ah, perfection. I have had many tripel karmeleits and it is a time for a review. Had at Yard House on tap in Fenway. This has a bland blonde color which masks the taste. Smells of a malty scent. The taste though resonates with a great blend of hops and malt which is hard to match. I like this a lot. Great stand by. My go to fantastic beer. Can't say enough about this perfect beer

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-Nice light yellowish color; looks refreshing

S-Very Fruity (Lemon, apple, orange hints)

T-Bubbly; some pine notes, and candie-ish to my taste

M-A bit too much on the carbonation...almost thought I was drinking shandy

O-its decent, I'll drink this beer again but not seek it too often.

Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels