2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tripel Karmeliet - Brouwerij Bosteels

Tripel KarmelietTripel Karmeliet

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Tripel |  8.40% ABV

3 grains - barley, wheat, oat. Styrian hops.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-27-2001)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tripel Karmeliet Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,702 | Reviews: 1,157 | Show All Ratings:
DJLehnherr

France

4.11/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A clear golden hue with a perfectly white foamy head. A lot of citrus-scents here, almost an orange "Fruit Loops" scent. Some yeastiness, but it's dominated by the citrus scents.

A lot of the citrus flavor comes through on the first taste. Little hoppiness. I feel like the taste doesn't long linger.

A very easy to drink 8.4% ABV triple beer.

02-22-2014 10:39:21 | More by DJLehnherr
amherstdrew

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

750 ml bottle poured into duvel tulip glasses.
pour: uber oppressively gigantic frothy head, snow white.
nose: sharp, lemony, zesty, tints of floor wax, south american spices, burns the nostrils like cocaine.
taste: creamy caramelized onions, spicy, freeze dried asparagus and sasparilla finish.

notes & comments: drank this with smith college admissions officer, she says she will only let belgians into smith from now on. a beautiful tripel, well worth the money, and masks the ABV like no ones business.

05-29-2005 22:11:20 | More by amherstdrew
rkowalick

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Served from a handsome .33 cL bottle with a parchment colored label displaying nuns harvesting grain into an oversized snifter. The yeast seemed very willing to get in my glass, so I cut the pour short to leave almost an inch in the bottle.

The beer pours darker than most tripels. It is a brilliant light amber that is perfectly transparent. The head is white and fluffy. The smell is of the standard tripel fare: plenty of yeast esters including apricots and crisp green apples. There is also a slight hint of alcohol in the nose as well. The taste delivers quite nicely. The apricots and apples join together into a strong dryness. The dryness continues until a slight spiciness and mild alcoholic burn dominate. The mouthfeel is what really sold me on this beer. It is very multi-faceted--dare I say complex? This beer seems to have the unique quality of being refreshing yet substantial at the same time. The loads of fine, light carbonation scrub and refresh the tongue, while near the finish, the beer appears to demonstrate more body than one would initially believe. After swallowing, the light carbonation continues to dance around the tongue. Drinikibility is very high for a high alcohol brew. Its lightness allows one to take plenty of sips, while its mild heavyness seems to keep ones sense of touch interested.

A first class tripel. Excellent beer that I could recommend to anyone.

10-20-2007 18:19:36 | More by rkowalick
Jcb890

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Overall, this is a great beer. It is definitely one of my favorite Tripels.

A: First off, the Karmeliet glasses are awesome. The beer pours a nice cloudy, golden with a large head.

S: Smells of fruit and deliciousness.

T: Taste is also fruity. Very smooth and the fruit is not too overpowering, which is a good thing.

M: Also exceptional. Nice and smooth.

D: This is a very drinkable beer, but is also great for just sipping.

07-23-2008 23:09:49 | More by Jcb890
bryanmetzger

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Attractive beer once poured. Beautiful head that settled and laced very well. Great hints of pepper and citrus that contrast nicely. I wish it was slightly less carbonated. I felt lik it thinned out the beer and lessened my enjoyment of it. I would have preferred a more robust mouthfeel. Other than that, truly enjoyed it. Yummy.

05-21-2010 02:50:16 | More by bryanmetzger
SaintNathaniel

Georgia

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

A - I drank this in a Chimay goblet. The beer is a hazy golden color with carbonation bubbles resting at the bottom of the glass. I like a nice large head so I poured it with plenty of air and once it settled it had about a 2 inch thick head on it, which to me, is perfect. The head is more foamy than creamy, due to the heavy carbonation. The head reduced to a thin film about half way through, leaving slight lacing around the edges of the glass. My only complaint is that the head didn't stick around longer.

S - it smells summery and floral with hints of citrus fruit and also has a very strong yeasty aroma and even a dense carbonation smell, almost reminiscent of a seltzer.

T - It started out slightly bitter to me. This went away by about my third sip and it just kept getting better. It was a rare thing going from an initial mediocre taste, to quickly becoming remarkable. The balance is perfect and it's very easy to drink, masking its alcohol very well. Citrus flavors come to mind and it also has a little of a bite to it, not of alcohol, but maybe more of a peppery taste.

M - the beer is very light in the mouth and bubbly almost like a champagne

D - very easy to drink, an exceptional beer. I will definitely be getting more of these...

02-14-2008 19:39:12 | More by SaintNathaniel
bronzeside

Georgia

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

From a slender 330 ml bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

Nice 2 finger head that slowly reduces to an even 1/16 cover. Bubbles cling nicely to sides of the glass when sipped, and then slowly slide down without rings.

Color: light golden honey, very light haze

Smell: I picked up just the slightest hint of...smoke, perhaps from a distant campfire, there but faint.

Taste:

Smooth very light citrus, with a hint of sweetness in the middle. This evenly transitions back to a light citrus finish.

A very easy drinking tripel. If you are looking for a brew with dynamic flavor notes, this is not really the one. But if you want something just plain smooth, balanced and basically really really good, it is a great choice.

I felt the alcohol before I tasted it. As with many Belgians, respect is the word. Sip or stumble.

I really like this one. Costs a bit, but want to keep a few around (if I can keep from drinking them) to introduce friends to the easier side of the wonderful world of Belgian Beer.

02-08-2009 00:07:36 | More by bronzeside
khinman7

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured on tap into a goblet (have also had it many times from a bottle).

Like other reviewers, I can still remember the first time I tasted this beer. Definitely life changing (up to that point the only beers like liked were stouts and IPAs).

Color is a gorgeous golden caramel.

Taste is the right amount of sweet but not overpowering, the alcohol is muted- and thus this beer is very drinkable (be careful with the high abv!!!). Finger of head that leaves a nice lace on the glass.

I always come back to this beer... esp when I find it on tap in Colorado!

01-24-2010 01:34:01 | More by khinman7
mpm180

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 ml into a chalice.

Golden appearance with one finger foamy head. Nice retention.

Smells of sweet belgian yeast with lots of banana and pears.

Semi sweet taste of banana and spices. Have to say the spice was a pleasant surprise. The flavor comes alive as it warms.

Medium body. Looks more carbonated that it feels in the mouth.

Outstanding. Beware the 8.4% because this is highly drinkable. As good of a tripel as I've had.

11-13-2010 01:26:05 | More by mpm180
zooalbert

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

What can I say? These beer is one of those rare ones that I can genuinely say that it is one of the best I've ever had. As someone prone to darker beers, I found this one to be surprisingly good. The appearance wasn't the common straight piss yellow color, but rather a cloudy, bright yellow. The taste wasn't bitter at all, and I found it quite friendly but different. I would strongly recommend this beer to anyone, and I look forward to the opportunity to try this beer again.

01-15-2011 04:37:09 | More by zooalbert
CRooney5787

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

A great beer, when served proper. ( and transported proper) always better out of the bottle.

Poured into a Karmeliet glass, out of a 33cl bottle.

Great head retention, with a more airy, the creamy foam.

Smells extremely floral, I guess it's the perfect balance of the three grains, and a little bit more sugar then most triples. Slightly sweeter.

Taste- I absolutely love this beer, it has a floral, round, and slightly sweet taste. You really need to be in the mood to get tips before you star one of these beers. (there is never just one) at 8.4% they sneak up on you. Basically the same strength as Duvel, but much easier to drink.

Leaves a nice, floral, yet refreshing taste on your palate. Perfect if you're "drinking desert".

Pours a nice golden hue, with constant carbonation.

This is one of my all time favorite beers to get all over Belgium. I don't always visit "craft" beer places while I'm here, my wife and I regularly go out with friends, and. Always stoked to see either westmalle triple, or Karmeliet triple on the menu.

07-24-2011 22:14:56 | More by CRooney5787
gjh

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

I love this one. Poors a nice deep cloudy golden color. Head has bigger bubbles than I would expect, but settles to a nice tight head although not much of one. The smell and taste are very compatible - both have a nce mixture of fruit and spices. Considering the ABV, there is no alcohol taste - just citrus and spices, with a yeast undertone. This make for an excellent dessert beer or on a hot, mid-summer day. Although, I prefer to drink this one all year round.

03-15-2003 19:12:14 | More by gjh
KlausKinski

Germany

3.58/5  rDev -16%

Massive head, golden appearance.
Yeasty smell.
Sweetish start, it develops fruit Aromas in the middle and brings through a little bitterness which is also dominant in the aftertaste.
At all a good, natural beer: Interesting, complex , but also quite drinkable.

05-23-2006 14:25:22 | More by KlausKinski
Thia417

I had the Tripel Karmeliet on tap at the Cheeky Monk in Denver when I flew out for GABF '09. I've had the it bottled before and enjoyed it, but on tap it just blew me away. This is my new favorite beer and I don't usually like Belgians.

I'm no pro at describing beers and why I like them. But here's my attempt:

The head was light and foamy.
The aroma was floral, fruity and slightly spicy.
The taste was so smooth and wonderful. It perfectly melded the malt and citrus taste together. I want to say it had a slight pear taste to it, but I'm horrible at picking out specific flavors. Either way, I greatly enjoyed it.

03-15-2010 14:57:11 | More by Thia417
Moorkop

Netherlands

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

One of my favorites. why becuase of it's fantastic glass. it's unusual taste thanks to the three types of malt. just a few things that spring in to my mind when i think of this beer. it's not the best beer I ever had. But it is one of my favorites. What I liked about it was that it wasn't a typical triple style beer. It lacked the sour bitterness of a triple. While still having that freshness that I like about triples. It's an ideal beer to drink on a beer tasting, because of it has a none typical taste.
another plus is the elegant style glass in wich it's served. the first time i ordered this beer in a bar. i was flabbergasted of the elegancy the glass had.
one of my favorites! i recommened it!!!

09-22-2010 16:27:33 | More by Moorkop
mallthus

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

So, second Belgian of the night and I'm coming off a less than ideal interlude with Duchesse de Borgnone (sp?) so I'm eager to get back on the Belgian pony.

Well, when you're at a pub in Oklahoma City and you see a lot of a Belgian Tripel going out the door, it means something, so I order one.

Look: Beautiful as only a Belgian can be. Nice thin head and wonderful golden colour.

Smell: A little lacking in all honesty. Didn't get that much from this one.

Taste: Well, knock me down. This is one smooth brew. The high gravity gives a bit of a tingle on the tongue. Nice grapefruit notes with some oddball tobacco notes on the finish.

Bottom line: I'll drink this again.

01-10-2011 04:01:51 | More by mallthus
Pero1974

United Kingdom (England)

3.58/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Was a bit disappointed. This is supposed to be one of the best tripels in the world, but I've had many beers that were much better. It is a good, decent beer, but not outstanding. I miss some spices in the aroma, the flavor is good, full but a bit flat. By no means a bad beer, but I just expected so much more of it.

02-17-2014 14:18:19 | More by Pero1974
Cfahooligan

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

This is now my favorite beer. It's so light and refreshing yet strong enough to kick your butt. I like to drink a bit colder at first because I like to watch this beer bloom in my hands. It's nice colder and then as it warms up it brings out gorgeous flavours. It becomes so brilliant after warming up with a full bouquet of spices. Though not overly spiced. Just a fantastic beer. I describe this like I describe fine chocolate, there is some that you give to your friends and there is some you give to the ones you really love. This is a beer to be had with someone worthy!

12-03-2004 15:24:19 | More by Cfahooligan
AlienOddity

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

Uncorked this one and had to run for the sink! Nothing in the aoroma made me think it was spoiled so here goes...

A- Golden/amber with coarse granular head which disappeared quickly leaving very little residue.

S- Sweet, bready malt with raisins and overripe fruit.

T- Again the bready grains come in and are backed up by sweet, ripe fruit. Alcohol makes an apperance near the end.

M- Warm, full mouth feel with carbonation bite. Warming alcohol sensation as it goes down.

D- Had no trouble finishing the bottle- would go nicely with some earthy cheese or perhaps beef.

06-01-2009 00:38:03 | More by AlienOddity
Alodge

British Columbia (Canada)

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Blond style with relatively clear but slightly foggy countenance.

S: Sweet smelling oats, almost fruity.

T: Powerful barley taste mixed with wheat, oats are harder to detect than on the smell for some reason.

M: Amazing mouthfeel that is very pleasant to role over the tongue. A goot mix of the predominant ingredients: wheat, oat, and barley.

Overall a truly astounding beer. I have tasted a few Belgen beers before but this surmounts them all by far.

05-16-2012 00:02:25 | More by Alodge
JCWeaze

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Tried this Belgian as one of 4 recommendations from the local brewmeister.

Staying more toward a subjective analysis, found the beer's complex and spicy taste to be balanced and attractive leaving a desire to have more but for the high(er) ABV. Lingering aftertaste and great mouthfeel. Great cloves and full-mouthed flavor.

Will go back for more after getting through Brooklyn's Local 1 & 2.

05-17-2009 23:45:21 | More by JCWeaze
Loppuu

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

This beer pours a clear gold with a beautiful Belgian-style head on top. Lot's of lovely frothy foam. Smell of sweet, citrus and jasmine tones. Also some smells of cardamom and coriander. Flavor is lightly sweet with lots of fruit and some honey. Which gives a great contrast with the spices! Very smooth, and bubbly with a dry finish. This is one of my favorites!

02-26-2010 21:50:57 | More by Loppuu
hailtotheale

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

A- Nice, light golden color, partly cloudy (with a chance of beer). Came in a green bottle (not the brown one in the above description). Very favorable head retention.

S- Strong aromas from yeast, and a mild hop sweetness. One of the only negatives - I noticed a slight skunkiness to it, which I'm going to have to chalk up to the idiotic green bottle. Seriously... WHY!?

T- Fruit-laden and spicy. Malt character is light and sweet. There is more spice as opposed to banana/ester flavors coming from the yeast, though this effect is somewhat more mild than other Belgian beers. Really gotta love the yeast here! Downside: Again - a slight skunkiness coming through in the taste.

M- Small champagne-like bubbles in the carbonation. Well-carbonated, to be sure. This really works quite well with this sweet, medium-bodied beer.

O- Pretty good Tripel overall, but I really think a real-person bottle would help it. It's a reasonably good beer that should definitely be protected from light...

09-10-2011 05:58:12 | More by hailtotheale
3sheets2thewind

Kentucky

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- My goodness this was great to watch. A head like no other formed with very tight retention and by it being bottle conditioned, just kept forming and holding. Never witnessed a head form that perfectly into place. It was almost champagne like' knew from just looking it was going to be very dry. Straw like color

S- Nice... Like sticking your head inside a grain bin. Wheat, oats, barley... like a fresh bale of hay in the summer afternoon. Lemon and then a little clove show itself late in the game. Bit this had a great nose. A lot nicer than other tripels I've had.

T- Belgium grain right on top of freshly squeezed citrus fruit. The high carbonation is such a treat. Kinda has the reminiscent of an ancient ale...

M- Very dry. Normally dry is not something I want, Even absinthe being my first and foremost love... Its dryness is the worst part. But this beer would not be as good if it lost that characteristic.

O- I'm not a big fan of any triplets... yet! But this is definitely a must try for anyone. Then again this is how IPAs started out for me, I hated them and then found myself craving some of them.

03-30-2013 03:40:59 | More by 3sheets2thewind
GuicYHops

Germany

4.11/5  rDev -3.5%

This Belgian brew is a very gassy and very smooth drink with a hint of fruit. Tasty brew to say the least! Light blonde appearance with a fluffy head, could sip, gulp, or chug this one! There is essentially no bite and leaves you wanting another. This beer is a definite must!

06-23-2013 11:54:07 | More by GuicYHops