DeuS (Brut Des Flandres) - Brouwerij Bosteels

DeuS (Brut Des Flandres)DeuS (Brut Des Flandres)

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-15-2003

Poured from 750ml into flute at Euclid Hall.

A: Pale straw and hazy gold. Head rests gently on the surface of the beer with decent lacing- not sticky. Tight bubbles.

S: Spices and spices galore. Cooking spices, cinnamon, fresh cracked bread, and lemon grass intoxicate the aroma.

T: Big cinnamon notes, creaminess, white pepper and spices dominate. Effervescent and invigorating. Bread like malts are thin but balance the high carbonation.

M: Even light coat across the palate for being such a full bodied beer. Finishes bone dry, just like a brute.

D: Fantastic beer worth celebrating with. Next time skip the Champagne and get this bier de champagne instead. (665 characters)

Whem it comes direct from Boostel in refrigerated containers, the aroma and flavors still fresh, and it is really great and amazing, the bubbles exploding in your nose, i really love it. (186 characters)

Pours clear yellow gold with lots of champagne bubbles that do not die. Leaves a little lacing on the glass too.

Smells of sweet, bready malt, yeast, and fruit.

A belgian golden ale with a great champagne taste, a bit sweet and yeasty with fruity notes of banana and citrus. A little hoppy spice in the finish.

Nice champagne body, light with with great puissance.

This is a great beer, one that shows how beer can rise to great heights, but does it on its own terms. This has the puissance, finesse, and fruite of a good, if not very good, champagne yet it still tastes of a Belgian golden ale. A beer for a celebration; my friends and I enjoyed it during the last game of the 2010 World Series. (704 characters)

I read about this in the paper a few weeks ago, so I thought I would give it a try.

This unique brew was brought to me in a Deus Champagne Flute....very nice. It looked like a very dark, bubbly champagne (dark for champagne, not for a beer)

Smell was quite yeasty, sweet and light. I don't mean it was faint, it just smelled like it was light.

Taste was exceptional. Banana and yeast come through. Very sweet. Nice finish.

This is HIGHLY drinkable. I'm thinking of picking up a few bottles for the holidays in lieu of champagne. I love champagne, but there is something about it that keeps me from drinking it too quickly. This stuff does not suffer from that. I had to slow myself down with this one. First, you can't fit a lot of it in a champagne flute, and second, it's got a good amount of well hidden alcohol.

It's not cheap, but if you can find a place to buy it by the glass (Brick Store Pub in Decatur GA), I highly, highly recommend it. (952 characters)

Deep, cavernous aromas of melted butter, macadamia nuts and lilac.
(hazy butterscotch liquid underneath jaunty, fine mousse)
The texture of this beer is beyond belief! Whipped cream-like, fluffy and clean.
On the palate it's viscous with notes of honey, overripe melon and candied yams with a firm, tannic structure of hoppy bitterness and peppery yeast.
To sum up: this beer is like butter-flavored mousse that melts into a complex of earthy, honey-ripe fruit flavors. (476 characters)

Beautiful bottle and label, opened with a loud pop just like a Champagne bottle, and poured into a Deus glass, chilled as recommended.
Crystal clear, light golden, with never-ending, multiple tiny bubbles,and all exactly symmetrical, forming a nice, compact multi-bubble white cap. Gorgeous, and it leaves a nice lace on the way down!
The aroma keeps up, with multiple fruity, minty, sweetish, grainy notes, evolving into earthiness, more fruitiness, lemons and pears, perhaps some funkiness (Brett?) and a whiff of alcohol.
On the palate, it is incredibly light, although you feel it warming your throat. Fully carbonated and prickly, the taste is exactly as suggested, with a little extra spiciness and earthiness.

Fred Eckhardt was right: "Alongside Deus, Champagne is boring". A true masterpiece. (802 characters)

Bottle from 2002. Pours dark gold with a small haze, and a big white head. Aroma is extremely complex with notes of white pepper, and big floral notes, especially Hawaiian white ginger, as well as cinnamon and allspice. Flavor is just as complex as the aroma, sweet, spicy and softly phenolic, with notes of clove, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. Alcohol is apparent but very softly so. This is a true gem of a beer, one of the best beers in the world, and worth seeking out, and aging. (485 characters)

Deus

A = Poured a pale straw colour with a light foam head. Bubbles danced up the flute like fine champagne.

S = Light fruity aroma. Apples and pears mingle to make a tantalizing aroma.

T = Awsome. Initial sweet sugary and fruity flavour. Like ripe sultanas that gives way for a ever so slight and dry but satisfying bitter finish. There is a slight sweet aftertaste that leaves you wanting more.

M = Highly carbonated to give the champagne feel. Very refreshing.

D = Damn drinkable. This beer is so damn good it is worth the damn $40 price tag. (560 characters)

In case you are unaware, Deus means God.

Pours just like champagne. A darker gold with a great balance of bubbles. Very large head. Nose is a gentle yeast with a slight sweet edge. Flavor is like a demi-sec champagne, yet it’s beer. Sweet, but an obvious though slight hop influence. The effect of being aged in wood is noticeably present. Strong perfume presence as well. Feel is like a good champagne. Drinkable? Personally I think when they made this, they thought: "What would John like?" Unbelievable. My first perfectly rated beer. If there are any ways for this to be better, I can’t wait to try it out. $30 for a bottle...and damn well worth it. (657 characters)

Reminds me of (and after reading some of the other reviews, I understand why) Malheur Brut Reserve. Similar color, feel, et cetera.

From notes anxiously scrawled on the reverse side of an old Red Wings ticket stub: Jasmine spice tea with hints of orange candy and an array of flowers thickly layered over a creamy honey aroma. You can pick up the Duvel-like pepperiness and thank-the-gods-for-Belgium hoppiness. Odd spices (thyme!?) flow together nicely with a dripping honeydew sweetness and alcohol, sweet alcohol. Extremely peppery and herbal. And remarkably smooth and delicious for a beer of such hearty character. Just amazing.

I humbly bow before the beer gods, for they have graced us with another great one here. And many thanks to Putnam for sharing some of this treasure. (788 characters)

Very transparent -- looks like a light cider. Cloves, candi sugar, a little bit of lemon, maybe orange peel? Absolutely delicious. White grapes, maybe chardonnay grapes -- this is like a bubbly chardonnay crossed with a saison. Really, really good!!! (250 characters)

After the first sip I felt I knew why some dogs are compelled to hump the leg nearest them. 'Cause it feels so goddamn good!

It was yellow, light yellow, a pils sort of yellow yellow. Say it to yourself slow--yellow--and feel how your tongue strokes your teeth.

Aroma? Imaginably I could just list off the aromas I didn't get, but I won't...for your sake. Thank me later. Fruit orchard in full blossom, jessamine, pears, self-adhesive bandages, late Autumn leaf piles, fig preserves... And it was balanced! Diluted honey and hops charged. 11.5%? I've tasted more alcohol in 6% beers.

If you're into things refined, lay out the coin for this masterpiece.

You said yellow slow didn't you? Say it again. (712 characters)

I had no idea this was $27 when I presented it to the cashier. And I thought $24 was a lot for Peche Mortal.

Pours a clear, pale yellow, with a large head. And a seemingly endless effervescence. The aroma is amazingly complex. It is well spiced, with a hint of lemon, grains, wheat, and hops.

The taste is simply amazing. Champagnesque fruitiness, a beer-like yeastiness and hopiness, and malted barley. I have never tasted anything like it. Mouthfeel is creamy despite the carbonation, which is lively to say the least. As for drinkability, one bottle is enough. One 750ml 11.5%ABV bottle, that is.

This was worth the money. It seems best suited as a special occasion beer, or a substitute for champagne. Pairs especially well with this baby brie I'm eating right now. (782 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +19%

$25 freaking dollars for the bottle! This had better be good!

Pours a hazy yellow gold brew with aggressive carbonation.

Smell is fruity and spicy and a bit heady. Yeast and alcohol smells show up too. A lot of perfume in the smell. Very complex smells, superior to Duvel.

VERY complex Taste! Lots of herb flavors. This is difficult to accomplish, mild yet complex flavor with no off tastes, try to clone this yourself, I doubt you can. I taste rosemary, mint, flowers, clover, anise, oak, lavender, black pepper, faint honey, olive oil, and others I can't identify at the moment.

Mouthfeel is almost too much, VERY FULL.

Not so much drinkable as sipable, this is potent stuff!

I will buy this again, but only for special occasions. This cost five times more than Duvel, but it's maybe only twice as good.

Duvel for $5.99 a Bottle! I LOVE Trader Joe’s! (874 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

This was amazing! It kind of reminded me of a farmhouse style ale, however with much drier finish. Both the nose and the palate was loaded with spicy, malty flavors with a touch of banana and creme brolee. In the finish you notice a dry patch in the back of your throat which I have only come across a few times in my adventers in beer. It is a bit pricey but I don't mind paying for it if the occasion suits. (409 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +18.6%

Quite remarkably a lovely, beautiful, and tasty beer. My husband and I received a DeuS bottle as a wedding present.

Poured into a semi-chalice (I cheated, a wine glass) and it bubbles to about a 1/2" of foamy head, and then subsides a bit to opaque lacing. Upon inspection, you notice the bubbles rising towards the top, and the bubbly remains throughout the sample, but becomes less pronounced.

The body is golden amber and looks a bit like molten honey. The nose has floral aromas, reminiscent of rose petals, rose water, and somehow an Indian restaurant. It also smells peppery and pungent, almost like Dr. Pepper or a gin and tonic - I realize that is a crazy backwards description, but this one really knocked me on my feet (although not because of the high alcohol content).

Upon my first taste, I noticed that the floral aromas took on a sweeter, more malty-er taste, that sort of concentrated all of the flavors I was smelling. This beer with its dual champagne identity really is hard to peg, but is highly enjoyable. As the beer warmed its floral aromas took on a fruitier profile, and I got raisins, dates, and juniper berries. The high alcohol content became more pronounced, and this allowed me to notice some of the phenolic properties.

This is a great beer, and I have greatly enjoyed it. I think it would pair well with a fruit and cheese platter, allowing the organic and simple qualities of these foods to pick up and bring out the flavor profile of this lovely beer.
Prost! (1,501 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

2002 Vintage.

Hazed golden with a definite meringue-like head that durates the life of the brew in proper glassware. Very reminiscent of fine champagne to the eye, but with a bit more color.

Nose is yeasty and spicy with characteristics, once again, similar to champagne. The characteristic champagne toastiness, however, is not present here, but rather it's laden with spice like one would expect from a Belgian tripel.

Clove, citrus, green apple, oak and pepper flavors resonate. Profoundly complex and potent with a slight hint at astringency. Unlike any beer I've tasted, hands down. A treat, to say the least.

Lively, spritzy carbonated mouthfeel in a definite champagne sense. Most won't believe this is beer without first telling them. The body is light (but far from pilsner-light), too, for a tripel, and the carbonation does wondrous things for this ale.

Wonderfully drinkable, Deus serves as a great apertif. With its complexity, liveliness and champagne-like appeal, this is a special beer. Worthy of the hype and a joy to savor. (1,057 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

From the cellar of my friends at Chef's Pantry who shared some of their private stock. I have been wanting to try this since I learned about the technique of treating beer like champaign.

Warning you that it is expensive and delicous. Sweet when warmer best served chilled. A Biere de Garde nose that I loved.

A notable effervescent carbonation complements the dextrinous near-full bodied
mouthfeel.

I always overrate these cult beers in my joy at finding them. Hope to comeback to this one again.

What a way to celebrate my 2nd aniversary on Beer Advocate. (628 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Golden straw in color. Thick big bubbles, with a medium thick lace. Flowery nose of spring and spice and you can definatly pick up a slight saffron nose. Rich,epperfecent?, semi-sweet mouthfeel but only upfront then tapers back to light flowers on your tongue, definatly better than last years. (294 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

Miller - the champagne of beers? B/S! This is. Pardon this rant... I'm a wine guy. I'v really only discovered the joys of fine brews in the last 2 years. Please beleive me when I tell you this brew COMPARES to better champagnes.

I poured my first flute (A tall slender champagne glass kind of similar to a pilsner glass) of it after letting the bottle rest for about 5 minutes. This is one carbonated brew... the head was approximately 2/3 of the pour.

The color is almost white and the bubbles are SO tiny anohter good indicator of a good champagne. The nose is somewhat citrusy and is very pleasing.

The taste - spectacular. I tasted orange peel, lemon, I assume this is from the yeast. It is dry - very dry and I like it.

Best brew I've had in the last year I think. (784 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured into champagne flutes. Pours a slightly yellowish-gold with a tall, proud and fluffy head that had very good retention and lacing. Pours and looks like champagne. A true treat!

A pleasingly bold aroma greets the nose. An interesting combination of malt, hop, yeast, spice and the faint scent of apple. The flavors were very similar, with more spiciness showing up on the tongue than indicated in the scents. The beer had a wonderfully dry finish, with the flavors lingering for a few moments.

The body was full, well-rounded and complex, but a touch light, like wine, for my tastes. Drinkability was excellent, I could have easily drank the whole bottle myself, instead of sharing with 2 friends.

Overall, a truly special brew. A must try at least once, I suggest keeping a couple bottles around for when the mood strikes. (832 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Ok--my most expensive beer to date. I paid $30 for 750 ml. I had been waiting for the right time to try it and it seems like the cash was reasonably well spent. Deus is a work of art in the appearance department. It is truly the "methode de champagne" that the guy talked about at the Ommegang brewery tour I recenty went on. Belgian all the way. It does take a while to settle and the head retention is almost too effective -it takes too long to settle. Leaves a beautiful 4-6 mm head and the carbonation is identical to the finest of champagnes.

Nose is a very powerful but not too strong floral, soapy mix of lavender, ginger and slight honey-grass. I can't believe this is beer.

Taste has the lavender and floral essence of the smell but is even better-if that can be accomplished. I am sorry to say that this might be a bottled beer that is better than its draft counterpart. Based on the price--nobody would buy the draft version, if it existed.It has a nice floral middle and finishes dry with a hint of ginger and floral lavender. None of these flavors are too overpowering.

I am happy that the exorbitant price equated to oneof the finest beers I have ever tried. (1,181 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +14%

After a day on the mountain there's nothing like a night of Belgian beers to revive you.

I shared this bottle with friend at the Cheeky Monk in Winterpark. Served in appropriately branded champagne flutes, this beer exploded in the glass. Two fingers of sparkly head topped the pale straw colored beer.

Dry, crisp apples and pears, a little citrus; delicious.

I paired this with a pot of muscles steamed in a white wine and gorgonzola cream sauce. The best pairing I've had in very long time, maybe ever. The beer did a great job of cleaning the pallet of the fats from the sauce and any residual flavors the shellfish may have left.

I am a fan of sparkling wines and I would recommend this as a replacement in any occasion.... not that sparklers require an occasion. (774 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +14%

Posh presentation regarding this Cuvee Prestige 2004 Deus from start to finish. Comes in a 750 ml sargasso green champagne magnum, thick brass foil around the caged and corked top. This bottle came with a small booklet around the neck explaining in 3 different languages the special process behind the production of this beer, as well as the ideal way to serve it.

Massive billowing foam on the pour, I had to fill my large fluted glass in stages. What remains is a chunky white sponge for a head which recedes very slowly. The appearance is a gorgeous luminescent clear golden hue.

A light and effervescent character to the nose, sugary and fruity sweet yeast, like blossoms from orange and other citrus trees. As it warms mild hints of ginger, pepper, coriander and nutmeg, even a subtle clove can be picked out.

The flavour, while contained, possesses many small pockets of complexities. In fact after sipping this, I now understand what Unibroue has been aiming for with their anniversary ales. To me this Deus is a more refined example of the flavour profile they've been working towards. Fluffy sweet malt up front like a rolled breakfast pastry, floral hints of tangerine and lemon blending into a dash of spices in the middle: black pepper, ginger, coriander, nutmeg, then back out with a mild wash of citrus once again, noting some lime into the blend this time around. There is a nutty, slighty woody hop character to the finish, with a lingering flavour of yeast that drifts off through the dry aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is light and creamy, a velvety stream that trickles over the palate and tongue, satiating in its wake yet finishing quite crisp and dry, a dryness of wood and desert lime.

Fantastic stuff, well worth the $20CAN I spent on it, I'm glad I held out to sample it when I was in the right mood and didn't rush it. There is nothing overpowering or aggressive about this beer whatsoever, it is subtle and refined and has it all in the right places to the proper degree in my opinion. Even the abv% isn't apparent within the taste, it is smooth and isn't very noticable until halfway through the bottle when it becomes apparent within the bloodstream. I have many personal things to celebrate this day, and I'm very happy to have had this Brut Des Flanders to enjoy it with. I'd definitely pick up more if I came across it again, even though this was one of the last bottles available. (2,423 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +14%

Pale yellow/golden/blonde sparkling colour with bubbles rising to the head. Creamy white large head with bubbly carbonation. Aroma is quite unlike any other beer I've tried; most noticeably apples, pepper and spices. Flavour is peppery, spicy (cinnamon?), candy-sweet and reminiscent of fresh sweet apples and pears. Later finishes with a yeasty banana taste and warming alcohol. Silky mouthfeel and bubbly carbonation. Rather drinkable considering the alcohol. Glad I was able to share this with a friend for his birthday. (523 characters)

DeuS (Brut Des Flandres) from Brouwerij Bosteels