DeuS (Brut Des Flandres) - Brouwerij Bosteels

DeuS (Brut Des Flandres)DeuS (Brut Des Flandres)

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  11.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-15-2003)
1.25/5  rDev -69.7%

kchannel9, Dec 23, 2011
1.25/5  rDev -69.7%

fostachild, Jul 20, 2014

ChanceK, Feb 28, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -45.4%

Nearly 40 bucks for a bottle and I'm supposed to serve this around 5 degrees? Just seems wrong, but with a tag line of "beyond the best" well I suppose I must try.

Poured into a flute with a light in the bottom of the glass so I can watch the bubbles. And well this is some great looking bubbly stuff. It builds an amazing head that's thick and frothy.

At 5 degrees this doesn't have much smell. There's some yeast and fruity smells but I just can't pick up on it.

The beer's flavor is pretty odd to say the least. Fruity, full of belgium yeast, and well a bit of a champagne flavor.

This stuff goes down pretty easily. A lot of bubbles etc. I'm not sure what else there is to say about this.

All and all I expected something far more complex. I didn't expect an overpowering flavor but really this just has some subtle fruit and yeast flavor. It doesn't do anything for me at all. Other than emptying my wallet.

I have a feeling this would work well with food as it wouldn't over power the food but a pale ale would do the same thing at a fraction of the cost.
A 5
S 2
T 2
D 2
M 3

bobhits, Nov 20, 2010
2.33/5  rDev -43.4%

Shows up from time to time at an okay price at the supermarket +/- 12 euro and at ridiculous prices at bars 30+ euro. Appears to be exclusively aimed at people with little beer knowledge with an interest in a luxury product. Got a 75 cl. bottle from the supermarket.

The instructions suggest to try it as cold as possible, I tried it both really cold and at +/- 15 °C and indeed you need to drink this as cold as possible, it is worse warm, I feel like you need to kill the taste a bit by drinking it that insanely cold. The fact that I don’t like Champagne greatly diminished my enjoyment, I think liking Champagne is instrumental to liking this. Meaning that this isn’t really aimed at beer drinkers.

A: Pale yellow, clear, heavy carbonated, bubbling white head, looks like Champagne.

S: Much better than it tasted, strong smell, Champagne yeast, apples, grapes (bit like white wine, muscat?), lemon peel, nectar/flowers mixed in

T: I got the feeling that I was drinking Champagne mixed with a Belgian Pale Ale, Champagne yeast (which I personally don’t like & dominates too much for me) followed by Belgian yeast in the aftertaste, noticeable alcohol, spices, sourness, if someone told me that this was Champagne, I would have believed him or her but it is Champagne with an off taste.

B: There was way, way too much carbonation going on for any beer.

This stuff has been getting really popular (I have seen it on tv) and has been selling out fast. Like I mentioned previously, I see it more and more at different places at going for what I perceive to be retarded prices. I feel like most people buy it not because of the taste but because of the perceived luxury, same as with Champagne for many. I have been asked by many people how it tastes like, I always say, cheap Champagne, if you want Champagne, buy that, if you want beer, get something else. If you want a good Champagne beer get Malheur Dark Brut which is actually really good and delicious.

77black_ships, Aug 21, 2013
2.4/5  rDev -41.7%

I was told a bottle of this stuff retails for $45 at a liquor store, and for $80 at a bar. Which means that a sampling at Comet Cafe in Milwaukee saved me a substantial sum of money, as I will not be purchasing this again. It tasted like lemon-lime soda with a chalky consistency, and I can buy lemon-lime soda for substantially less money.

This beer poured a hazy yellow with miniscule bubbles that appeared to be the product of secondary fermentation. The beer had a lemon-lime soda aroma that was reminiscent to me of the "Squirt" brand. Mouthfeel was very chalky and rough in nature while flavor was lemon-y in flavor. I am not a fan.

BeerBelcher, Jul 14, 2007
2.5/5  rDev -39.3%

Morpheus, Dec 31, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -39.3%

kendellmarie, Aug 16, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -38.6%

From notes, bottle@home, this stuff has been getting really popular (I have seen it on tv) and has been selling out fast, I see it more and more at different places at going for what I perceive to be retarded prices. I feel like most people buy it not because of the taste but because of the perceived luxury, same as with Champagne for many. I have been asked by many people how it tastes like, I always say, cheap Champagne, if you want Champagne, buy that, if you want beer, get something else. This was the first Champagne beer that I tried, I have tried a second one since then, Malheur Cuvée Royale, if you have the luxury of choosing between the two, get that one.

A: pale yellow, clear, heavy carbonated, bubbling white head
S: strong smell, yeast, apples, grapes (bit like white wine, muscat?), lemon peel, nectar/flowers mixed with cheap no-brand lemon soda
T: I am thinking of Champagne mixed with a Belgian Pale Ale, Champagne yeast (which I personally don't like & dominates too much for me) followed by Belgian yeast in the aftertaste, noticeable alcohol, spices, sourness, if someone told me that this was Champagne, I would have believed him or her but it is Champagne with an off taste
M: like Champagne, lots & lots of carbonation, too much for a beer, light body
D: didn't enjoy it much but I had no difficulty drinking it, I still say that you either buy Champagne or a different beer, if you must try this style, try to look for Malheur Cuvée Royale, cost is too much I got it for 12 € and I felt that, that was way too much and that was on the low end of the spectrum for this beer.

77ships, Mar 12, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -36.2%

I poured this into a snifter since the champange flute is too small for me to be drinking out of. The head is that of a champ. lots of tiny bubbles, just carbonation out of control. The aroma was alcoholic and sweet. The taste was a little citrusy, dry, and a backbone of malt. The hops were slightly presesnt with a spiciness, but the sweet alochol overpowered most of the brew. The mouthfeel is sticky sweet and not good when warmed. Not something that I try again. I had it for the experience and I'm glad for that. My friend and I didn't even finish the bottle (it's just not that good a brew for my tastebuds).

phishgator, May 20, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -35.7%

Poured a light golden color with a white head that subsided very quickly.
The aroma is metallic with an aluminum like quality amogst a dry pilsner malt scent.
Very highly carbonated this ale has a very sweet malt profile and it reminds me of a high gravity lager like a malt liquor only with higher carbonation.
The mouthfeel is very fizzy and the carbonic bite makes me think that attepmting to make a champagne beer is nice but actually doing one commercially is a bad idea.

RenoZymurgist, Dec 10, 2007
2.7/5  rDev -34.5%

First, we moved this brew form the fridge to the freezer to get it cold like they said on the bottle. After 1/2 hour it was removed, uncorked, with a big pop, and poured. It poured a large head of creamy fine white bubbles and a very carbonated weak straw yellow body. The head leaves a clinging vine lacing. Its aroma was a bit different and mild. Neither malt nor hop. Almost kind of skunky. My first thought of the taste was yuck! A second sip revieled a bit more character. It was very spicey with clove and licorice. After a few sips, the burps from the fizzy carbonation began to set in. I then let it warm up as I continued to finish the mug I had poured with well over a half a bottle left. At this point, I had rated it 4,3,6,2,12 a 2.7 overall. After letting it warm up, it did not get any better. Complex it is, but after the Rochefort 8, we had earlier, its really hard to live up to it. This is not a brew I would reccommend, especially for the $30 it cost me for 1 bottle.

TheDM, Jun 21, 2003
2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

Pours from a bottle into a chalice. Very pale yellow with A LOT of bubbles. Looks exactly like champagne. Smell is spicy, sweet, with some fruit scents. Taste...tastes exactly like freaking champagne. It's hard to believe this was classified as beer. I can't drink a pint glass of champagne, nor could I drink a pint of this stuff. Like champagne, it was sweet to start and finished dry. Way too much carbonation for this beer to be enjoyable. Filled the stomach with so much air, I couldn't finish this one. Definitely not my style of beer. $25 down the drain.

jdubjacket, Aug 02, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

Jspriest, Jun 24, 2014
2.78/5  rDev -32.5%

Pours a nice, clear golden, with a big carbonation that sings to you from the glass. Nose is nutmeg, allspice, cloves, juniper, and a kiss of sourness. Flavor is a big, somewhat cloying spice flavor, with subtle tartness, giving way to a menthol finish. Perhaps even a Splenda-esque aftertaste. A neat beer but it doesn't work for me. Think: gin and diet tonic.

gyllstromk, Oct 10, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -32.5%

25.4 oz. bottle, corked and caged. Vintage 2002.

Appearance: A golden-yellow beer that produced a very champagne-like head on the pour (go figure). The difference was that this head lingered longer, though not by a lot.

Smell: Alcoholic, floral, and perfume-like. Lots of lavender and lilac; very different from the floral characteristic that I associate with hops.

Taste: I could cut-and-paste my smell description into the taste section word-for-word and be happy. Strong alcohol combined with lavender and lilac perfume. The first glass was so alcoholic that I almost stopped drinking right then. (This really hurt the "taste" rating.) However, I pressed on with pride (and remembered how much I paid for this bottle) and as I downed a few more glasses, this seemed to subside and the other flavors came out more.

I really didn't care for this beer at first, but I got to where I thought it was okay by the end of the bottle. That's all, though. Defintely nothing special, in my opinion. I'm glad that I tried it, but it is nowhere, I repeat NOWHERE near being worth the $30 that I paid for this bottle. Even for half that price, I wouldn't buy another. I appreciate the process and the labor that goes into making this beer, but end the end it's still a flower-ridden, perfumey brew with an overpowering alcohol flavor. At 11.5% abv, I'm glad that beerlovergirl helped me with this bottle, though it put her under the table (hehe).

Quaffer, May 02, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -30.8%

DeuS Brut des Flanders is best served cold (39-41F) from a champagne flute or lambic-style tumbler. *Warning: Contents under extreme pressure and the cork from this one will easily blow a hole through your ceiling! DeuS pours up very noisily with lots of fizziness much like champagne. The rocky white head completely engulfs the straw-golden body and goes on forever. The aroma is alive with an zesty fruitiness (lemon, lime, orange peel, etc...) with a light fresh graininess and some noteable earthiness (freshly cut hay, morning dew, etc...) which adds to the complexity along with a solid yeast & alcohol spiciness (coriander, clove) with just a touch of vanilla. The flavor starts off with a bit of barley graininess and unexpected tartness, but comes off rather bland with barely perceivable bitterness, clover spiciness and a noteworthy vanilla oakiness which reminds a person that they're even drinking a beer. The finish is almost bone-dry much like a Brut champagne with a blast of hot alcohol. This light-medium bodied specialty is very highly carbonated and would make a fine apertif or digestive for any special occasion or dinner party...if you can afford the asking price. Try pairing with some Belgian or French chocolates or chocolate dipped strawberries for Valentine's Day. Here's to the champagne of the beer world!

CHEERS! Beertracker

Beertracker, Feb 08, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -30.8%

P.T. Barnum would have loved this beer. Its full of flash and has no substance.

When I first tried this beer it was at the end of a long night of drinking at a local beer bar. At the time I really enjoyed it but since is sells for $38 at the liquor store and $45 at the bar I was holding off on getting it for a special occasion. Wow what a mistake, this beer is like that bed time companion you picked last night when your beer goggles were in full effect.
The appearance is decent with a nice full frothy head and a beautiful cascade of bubbles like you would find in any champagne. But then there was the taste. I can't even tell what this is. It dose not have either the dryness or the wet fruitiness you would find in champagnes. At the same time it barely resembles beer. It is almost flavorless and what it does have is almost like carbonated parsley. The malt profile was quite nice but not enough to save this travesty.

IDrinkAllot, Jan 16, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -29.6%

First of all, in my opinion, this brew is way overpriced to say the least because I do not feel it is all that great of a brew. It poured a large white invigorating foamy head and there was not that much lacing on the sides of my glass. The aroma was a combination of being spicy, fruity and a slight clove aroma. There was carbonation observed and the body was a pale yellow. The taste of this brew was fizzy and tingly which is not much to my liking when it comes to taste. I was not impressed to say the least and the cost is way out of line in my personal opinion. Even if I really, really liked this brew, I would still say that it is way overpriced.

hotstuff, Jun 15, 2003
2.93/5  rDev -28.9%

A= a golden color with a big soapy head rising out and leaving a thick ring around the glass and constant bubbles taking care of the retention
S= apples and alcohol mostly not much else.
T= apples and quite a bit of alcohol. Pretty good.
M= sooo fizzy and light. Floats my tounge out of my mouth
D= not too great. It was ok but the alcohol was too heavy for me.

jjanega08, Mar 06, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -28.9%

Thanks to Bosse and his generosity for this.

750ml corked cage bottle into a tulip.

The beer pours a medium peach, lighter gold on the outside. There is tons of carbonation, at least four fingers comes making me pour several times. Also, a gusher on opening so be careful. The head is white, the big stuff falls pretty quickly but leaves a lasting centimeter of head for several minutes. Good lacing...The aroma is sweet, citrus notes of pineapple, a little alcohol. bubbly champagnge, rubbing alcohol, which I don't like because its at the end and lasts too long...The taste isn't good either, very alcoholy, all the sweetness is gone. The feel also puts a bad taste in my mouth as it is very carbonated, it attacks your tongue. Not very drinkable.

I wanted to show the gf this style, as I have had some good ones. Sadly, this wasn't the one to try to get her hooked on, so many better options out that you are free to skip this.

jrallen34, Jul 07, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -28.4%

Appearance- golden clear yellow with small light head, beautiful bubbles stream the glass

Smell- mix of malt yeast and spicey hops, interesting unique smell

Taste- is very unique, reminicant some of champagne and of a belgian style beer, with spice slight hops and malts its an interesting mix, cant say I love the finish but certainly unique

Mouthfeel- light crisp and enjoyable carbonation

Drinkability- Its easy to drink but to me this just was a little off, i would recommend it for the price of 30 a bottle almost, worth a look once just out of how unique this is for a beer, the taste is reminiscent of some beers but in someway you do feel it more like a champagne, a one time try for me

Stunner97, Aug 06, 2009
2.95/5  rDev -28.4%

I drank this at an "Art of Refermentation" beer tasting hosted by Garrett Oliver at the National Geographic.

These are my tasting notes:

I did not particularly care for this beer. It appears in my beer store, and I've been tempted to give it another try, but my initial impression was an overly ginger character and given the price I didn't think it was exceptional.

stimy, Jan 24, 2008