DeuS (Brut Des Flandres) - Brouwerij Bosteels

DeuS (Brut Des Flandres)DeuS (Brut Des Flandres)

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-15-2003

Photo of
3.38/5  rDev -18.2%

25oz. bottle

WARNING: My first review of a Biere de Champagne -- Take with a grain of salt, and maybe a lime....

Poured out a crystal clear, honey gold liquid. It was capped by a large, rocky, white colored head. Had some legs. Gorgeous looking drink.

Smell was spicy -- clove and coriander. Then sweet, seemed like candi sugar. Herbal notes tried to balance sweetness. Some citrus. A bit of the classic Belgian funk.

Taste was very sweet, too much so for me. Consisted of over ripe cantaloupes and peaches, some honey as well. Medicinal/phenolic notes were present, and I didn't find them pleasant. Herbal at the finish, but really didn't do much to balance out the sweetness. A bit hot, as well.

Medium body. Highly carbonated, and quite dry. I've drank enough champagne to recognize what they might have been shooting for here, and I think they actually overshot. This struck me as almost astringent.

Overall, a nice beer if you like them really sweet in flavor, and really dry in mouthfeel. Not to my taste, unfortunately. It would probably go quite well with sushi.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

750ml bottle corked and caged. 2005 vintage. Poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a light, slightly hazy, gold color. Initially large foamy head, but that quickly drops to nothing. Lots of bubbly carbonation throughout.

Smell is very Gueuze like. Tart, subtle grape and apple cider like aroma.

Taste is very good! Has just a bit of belgian yeastiness underneath a very tart apple flavor. Complex. Hints of earthy tones and some light muskiness.

Mouthfeel is on par for what it is. Very bubbly carbonation. Absolutely Champagne like.

Overall, a very tastey and complex brew. Worth a try for a special occasion for sure, but the price ($26 a bottle) is a bit much for regular consumption.

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer pours a very slightly clooudy pale yellow color, with a thick, fluffy white head. The head fades very slowly, leaving a massive laging.

This beer has a nice grainy/spicy aroma. I detect some cloves, and some grains of paradise, and some coriander. It has a slight earthy yeast aroma as well. The alcohol content is very well hidden in the aroma.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Some grainy flavors up front. It also has a nice subtle spicy flavor. As with the aroma, mostly coriander and cloves. A mild earthy yeast flavor is also present. It has a very subtle sour flavor that is almost nonexistant if you are not looking for it. As with the aroma, the alcohol content is well hidden.

This beer is very smooth, and leaves a spicy aftertaste. It is well carbonated.

I am not sure how good a session beer this one might be. First, it is expensive, so it would be a waste to slam a few bottles. Also, the alcohol content is high. However, it is easy to drink, and therefore you must be wary when drinking it.

Overall: This beer is great. It is all I have expected from the beer and the style.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

I paid $30 for this bottle, purchased from BevMo San Luis Obispo
Decanted into my most excellent Duvel chalice
Appearnce was good, clean, quickly dissolving head, but quit clear and yellow. Almost looks like a Bud in the glass
Smelled pretty good. A faint hint of spiciness, wine, and yeast. Although I have a cold right now, so that may have detraced a bit
Taste was very good. Bitter, sour, sweet all in one. A bit of buttery tofee flavor that coats the inside of the mouth and remains through the swallow.
Mouthfeel is unbelievable. Smooth, despite the sour tones, It coats the mouth and throat and makes for a very delightful experience.
Drinkability is off the charts. If this was any less of a beer I would have rated drinkabilty very low because of the price tag, but this beer is just so damn good. It's going to be hard to tell my girlfriend that I spent this much on 1 single beer, but fuck that. This stuff is amazing.

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%

this is something i have been looking forward to. i can't remember exactly what i paid for it, but i do remember having to think about it

it's a light gold color with a tall sudsy head. immense carbonation keeps it afloat though it won't last forever. no lacing

the aroma is hoppy and warm with some sourness and cork.

super light and crisp from the carbonation, but i wouldn't go as far as to say dry. the hop character is significant. there is a definite wine characteristic and some tripel-ish spicing. there is actually a fairly significant sweetgolden malt going on

cool beer. strong. flavorful. bright. classybelgian

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

so I've seen this on the bro's review and thought I should try that just so I can see for myself some day. well, that day finally presented itself during dinner out in Las Vegas last night.

A - noted many times but it's definitely a champagne clone. Mine was served in a DeuS champagne flute. Very nice presentation.

S - rich light sweet Belgian malts and a spicy light ripe fruit aroma.

T - as one who doesn't care for a champagne, this one tastes similar without that grape / wine aspect. rich warm sweet malt flavors swirl around the sides of my mouth while the roof of my mouth and tongue are hit with an onslaught of bubbles which create an amazing effervescent flavor swirl.

M - medium bodied, champagne crazy carbonation. Wow what a mouthfeel effect!

D - I loved how this drank as it warmed up. The bubbles lasted the full bottle and it really was a treat. I think this should be new years eve, not the champagne tradition.

When I ordered this my server was blown away. Apparently they don't sell it often and it was off limits for staff tasting. So as a BA I offered to share a glass and wound up having a fun conversation with both my waiter and the bar manager responsible for bringing in this treat.

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was part of my father's day gift earlier in the year, and finally got around to popping it open for review number 125.

A: Dues is beautifully packaged and would hold its own sitting next to the finest bottles of Champagne in the world. The cork comes out with a blast followed by smoke from the depths within. It poured so big and bubbly into a nice crystal champagne glass with a head that dies down nicely leaving a pad of tiny bubbles on top. It's a pretty bright yellow brew that is very active in the glass. Bubbles cling to the side and dance from bottom to top.

S: Oh yes. The aroma alone makes this one worth the $30 price tag the wife left attached to the side of the bottle ( in a see I did good with this gift didn't I sort of way). This brew is soo complex. I first notice a musky peppery aroma. There is also some wonderful sweetness in there. Honey, buttered toffee, and a somewhat floral aroma. There is also a great deal of spice. Anise, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg can all be detected. I have never smelled anything so complex in my life.

T: Divine! This wonderful brew starts off with a honey like buttery sweetness. Then the spices come in. Nice strong baking spices the kind you love in desserts. Clove and Cinnamon mainly. In the end you are over taken by a wonderful peppery kick. It is so nice as it works with the bubbles to slightly sting the palate. As it goes down I detect a slight burn from either the alcohol or the pepper.

M: Very Champagne light. Crisp and bubbly, yet creamy.

D: Of course this one is not to be pounded. That being said the wife was not a fan, which left me to consume the entire bottle. Which I did without a problem.

Overall: This is a special brew for special occasions. It is so rich and complex; you could use it as a replacement for a bottle of wine or champagne any day. The Belgian touch is there. You can tell by the fruity, spicy, peppery taste they started with one fine Belgian brew. What happened in France is a perfect marriage between beer and champagne.

Don't let the price tag scare you off. Buy it for that special occasion and enjoy. I know you will.

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Vintage 2002. Poured into Delirium glass. Smell fruity with hint of ginger. Very carbonated. Sweet, little spicy. Had been aged for 5 years. Although alcohol is probably around 12ish % (from aging), taste was not overpowering. Wish I could get my hands on another bottle of it, but I haven't seen it elsewhere.

2.43/5  rDev -41.2%

I was told a bottle of this stuff retails for $45 at a liquor store, and for $80 at a bar. Which means that a sampling at Comet Cafe in Milwaukee saved me a substantial sum of money, as I will not be purchasing this again. It tasted like lemon-lime soda with a chalky consistency, and I can buy lemon-lime soda for substantially less money.

This beer poured a hazy yellow with miniscule bubbles that appeared to be the product of secondary fermentation. The beer had a lemon-lime soda aroma that was reminiscent to me of the "Squirt" brand. Mouthfeel was very chalky and rough in nature while flavor was lemon-y in flavor. I am not a fan.

3.55/5  rDev -14%

From the 750ml caged cork bottled dated 2002, decants with a mighty pop, sending white foam cascading from the bottle. Into a wine goblet, it’s a clear golden color with Champaign-like carbonation streams fueling a one-finger white head. Moderate fade to a thick cap constantly fueled by carbonation. Medium sticky lace. This beer would probably look even better in a Champaign flute. Sweet apples/apricots/pear on the nose, a bit of sour yeast and wild grapes. Taste is heavy, bordering on cloying sweetness and hellaciously bubbly at first, though the carbonation calms down after a bit. Same tastes as were hinted at in the nose, namely pears/apricots. There’s some discernable alcohol warmth as well. Mouth is semi-viscous and heavily carbonated as would be expected, mouth-fillingly so. I really have to ding the drinkability of this beer, though I guess “within style” it might be average. But first of all, how drinkable is a $25 bottle of beer? Secondly, the overabundance of carbonation makes enjoying this one a waiting game. Finally, the combination of carbonation, alcohol and who knows what else gave me and my friend and instant case of heartburn.

Overall: This one is a definite special occasion beer, and at that, I can think of several others I’d have before this one, such as Samiclaus, Trap Roch 8 or 10, and even DFH 120 Minute. The only reason I sampled this beer is that it was a gift; otherwise it would still be sitting on the specialty store’s shelf as a curio. Worth a try.

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle, corked and caged. Served chilled in a champagne flute

2005 Vintage

Now, before I review this I have to say that this was my first gusher bottle. I carefully took it from my cellar to the fridge, when I opened it over a third of the contents went gushing all over my kitchen floor.... about 6 or 7 pounds worth is in the mop bucket now but anyways, on to the review

Pours with very aggressive and vigorous carbonation. Lots of small prickly bubbles thundering up from the bottle of the glass, straw yellow clear body with a few shades of amber. Fluffy half inch head forms with a careful pour, patchy champagne-esqe lacing

Smell, sweet and dry fragrant belgian yeast character. Fresh flowers and lavender, eastern spices, tonnes of fresh ginger and honey. Slight hint of aniseed and angostura bitters, spicy apples and pear with a hint of clove and cinnamon. Some slight barnyard funk lingering in the background, some cidery notes and musty blankets

Taste, crisp, carbonated and spicy mouthfeel. Lavender and purple violets, fresh peaches and dried apricots soaked in perfume and lots of spice like star anise, clove, cinnamon and corriander. Slight soap character also with a slightly chalky mouthfeel. Very typical dry belgian yeast character found in alot of big strong pale ales. Crisp lingering champagne dryness, spicy zesty lemon rind and some cidery notes on the finish. Little bit of dry barnyard gueuze character, some slick warming perfumed alcohol on the finish.

Losing close to half the bottle while opening really pissed me off. Things started badly however the depth of flavour, inventivness and originality of this beer really make up for it. Big belgian character with champagne mouthfeel and brewing techniques, a very good match it seems. I can't see myself buying this very often due to its high price however its a superb beer which I'm very glad to have tried

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured into a flute glass.

Very active carbonation.... even more effervescent than champagne. Straw in color... very pale.... monstrous fizzy white head.

Lots of yeast in the aroma, paired with a citric scent.... lemon rind.... not much else going on here.

Noticeable phenolic taste.... but not in an overwhelming manner. Surprising amount of depth.... caramel and sugar on the back end provide a nice contrast to the sharp front of this brew. Very surprising, and quite enjoyable as an apertif.

While the carbonation levels are very high, this brew definitely has some body to it as well. Very well done.

Very drinkable for 11.5%.... however, I would suggest sharing this one with someone.... make an occassion of it. That said, would I buy this again? Perhaps.... but not any time soon... if it were around $15, it would be a regular purchase for me.

4.11/5  rDev -0.5%

Cuvee Prestige 2002. Corked & caged 75 cl bottle. Cork releases with a mighty pop.

Pale straw gold. Big fluffy with head. Intense carbonation. This beer has got snap, crackle, & pop.

Grassy & herbal aromas. Also a touch of mint.

Spicy. Ginger leaps right out. Coriander & lemon come into play as well.

Medium bodied. Intense carbonation.

A unique beer with a hefty price tag. Certainly worth it at least once.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

I had noticed this beer several times at our local Central Market and decided I had to splurge and try a $25 beer. Poured a very impressive head that lasted to the bottom of the glass. Aroma was very heavy on the cloves, but pleasant. Taste was disappointingly similar to other strong Belgians, however. Mouthful was more "yeasty" than some (probably due to the champagne technique implored).

Overall an excellent example of the style, and I like what they were trying to achieve. But for my money, I'll take a few bottles of Tremens or Duvel...

3.99/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance: Very impressive. A big head seems to coat the glass all the way down. Body is a brilliant hazy straw color with a neverending stream of bubbles rising to the top.

Smell: Smells like your average pale Belgian with yeasty banana notes. Some alcohol also comes through.

Taste: Slightly sweet and tangy with a dry aftertaste. The banana is still there but something extra kicks in in the finish. Interesting to say the least.

Mouthfeel: Nice and tingly as you might expect and overall very pleasing.

Drinkability: Quite drinkable. The carbonation might be the only thing to hinder your progress.

Beef Notes: I thought this might be a little more champagne-like, but I'm rather satisfied with the way it is. Maybe not worth the money but a good beer to try once and definitely one to toast with.

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

$25 for a bottle in Paducah. Pours into a flute a slightly hazed,yellow body with a towering mound of white foam atop. The frothy vanilla head eventually falls into an attractive meringue. Aroma is floral and grainy, somewhat exotic. Rosewater essence is prominent. Mouthfeel is light mediumbodied with spritzy carbonation. Taste is very dry. Green strawberries leads an unusual fruity aspect, blending with spice, yeast, and mint. Fruity combines with floral, finishing very dry. Quite champagne like. Very interesting, and nicely drinkable but for the price I'll pass next time.

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

Bottle (2002 enjoyed in 2007): Poured a medium beige/orangey color ale with a light white bubbly head with average retention. Aroma of dry cereal with some saison-like yeasty notes. Taste was quite dry with some nice malt presence and a dry yeasty finish. Carbonation was a bit too much for my liking but I guess that is part of this beer style. Even though this beer packs a bit of alcohol, I couldn’t detect any alcohol notes. While this beer was quite interesting and complex, it does confirm that I am not a big fan of Champagne and even though brew with beer ingredient, I still don’t dig the mouthfeel.

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

This is every bit as exceptional as I was expecting. I picked up the bottle for New Year's two years back, but I ended up getting too drunk and forgot about it for two consecutive New Years. No particular special occasion tonight, I was just looking for something interesting to drink, and I figured I would drink this. I've held on to this beer for longer than any other beer I've owned, and I'm pleased to note that it held up for two and a half years in my cellar quite gracefully (in addition to the time it spent at the distributor... 2002 vintage).

The beer pours to a clear light yellow color. Excellent clarity with a very active carbonation, as expected. Has a huge white head with a good retention. Doesn't lace the glass too particularly well, however.

The smell is divine. Has a light, sweet malt profile with a great spiciness. White pepper, coriander, and a hint of anise. Smells almost like a tripel but with more of a dryness, and definitely spicier. A hint of candi sugar as well. Reminds me a lot of smelling a flower, like lavender.

The taste is great as well. Sweet up front with lots of spices, but it dries out quickly, leaving only the spice in the finish. This is the perfect marriage of beer and champagne. I'm not particularly a big fan of champagne (or a fan at all, for that matter), but this beer really blew me away. Very complex, but crisp and acidic, leaving a dry and clean aftertaste. Nice little bit of candi sugar with a hint of pepper and coriander and a light anise flavor. Lots of esters and phenols as well... bananas, peaches, pears, clove, etc.

The beer is very light bodied, dry, and crisp. Sharp carbonation. Creates lots of gas in the stomach, which in turns causes lots of belching. At 11.5% ABV, the alcohol is hardly noticeable, not even warming. Still, I couldn't picture myself drinking much of this beer, and not just because of the price tag. I'm very pleased with it, though, and I'm glad I finally convinced myself to open the bottle. Typically I don't cellar something I've never tried, but it was kind of unintentional, and I finally decided that opening the bottle would be a special occasion all unto itself. World class beer, deserving of all of the hype. I can't say for sure I won't make the $25 plunge again, but probably not, unless it is a special occasion (you know... a real one, not just to drink a damn good beer...)

edit: much different than Miller High Life.

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

A-gets a ton of head just like champagne. Has a nice white head on a clear golden body.
S- Nice helping of pale fruits come through. Pale malts make their way through. Light banana comes through along with a blend of other fruits.
T- It has a nice light flavor with a big alcohol warming. Very light taste of fruits. Some malts make their way through also. It is very unusual but well done at the same time. The yeast comes through a bit also.
M- Has champagne bubbles all over the tongue. Thin to maybe a medium body with a push.
D- It is very unusual. It is tasty but I don't think I would pay $25 for it again unless it is a very special occasion.

3.38/5  rDev -18.2%

I am a bit reluctant to write this review, because I wasn't very enthousiastic about this beer. I was expecting a beer with a champagne twist, but instead of that I got a champagne with a faint beer twist.

It pours a golden yellow color with huge amounts of carbonation. The head collapses in minutes and leaves a typical champagne-like bubbly head.

Smell is perfumy with roses, lavender and grapes, like white wine. Also a bit sweet and absolutly no typical beer smells, not even faint.

Taste is slightly sweet with roses and lavender and flowery. There is hardly any malt or hop to be tasted. Some mineralic and spicy notes. For me it is hard to put a label on the tastes, it is complex, but only in a certain taste spectrum, more like wine. Aftertaste is dry and perfumy. Mouthfeel is dry and drinkability is not high.

I realize I am probably not worthy, and I will review this beer with it's beerstyle in mind.

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

I've had the Deus several times now, so I feel compelled to review it. It is by far one of the most enticing and complex beers that I have ever been exposed to. The last time I was lucky enough to drink it from my very own Deus flute (Thanks Mike nice gift!). It is without a doubt the champagne of beers, very highly carbonated and makes a lovely streaming cascade of bubbles in the glass. Just by looking I could confuse it for champagne, but I'm no champagne expert. Actually, I don't even like champagne. Which make it hilarious that I love this beer! It makes a great special occasion item, just like champagne. The color of this beer in my flute is a very pale straw color, very similar to an American light larger but the similarities end there. The nose is a sweet and musky scent but light for those scents. The mouthfeel is of course very carbonated and light, almost airy. The taste is light and dry with hints of ginger, honey, crisp fruit (maybe green apples but not sour?), and is very complex. Very, very nice. Expensive but well worth it if you decide to try it.

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%

A sampling long in the making. I've been saving (or hoarding) this beauty for well over as year, a 30th birthday gift from fellow beer enthusiast Gabe.

The pour is magnificent, a shimmering pale yellow cascade of liquid that erupts into a huge mass of pure white head comprised of large and small bubbles. The steady stream of gas from the bottom feeds the head so that it never really goes away.

The aroma is very unique and interesting, with complex notes of husky, sweetened damp hay, musty vegetation, minerals, and gently decomposing fruit. As it warms, lemony citrus and crushed flower petals with undertones of coriander, clove, white pepper, and mint come out.

The flavor is incredible, yet hard to describe. At first it tastes like a dry Belgian Saison, with lots of yeast, must, and spice notes with strong undertones of pinapple, pear, and lemon. As it warms, it sweetens, with tropical fruit, fresh mint, and insane wildflowers. It is dry and sweet at the same time. The musky perfume of over-ripe fruit is quite seductive. Absolutely complex and very unique.

The mouthfeel is a gentle explosion of incredibly light and airy carbonation with a medium body and effervescent, fluffy texture. Sensory overload pretty much sums up all aspects of this brew. The abv% feels(not tastes) more like 13-14%, as it gently warms the gullet. The price tag is irrelevent, this is bottled bliss here.

3.62/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11/6/2004 NA 750 mL 11.50% No best by date.

Appearance:

Light gold very carbonated with tiny bubbles.

Aroma:

Reminiscent of an Asti, sweet with fresh fruit overtones.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Carbonation explodes in the mouth followed by a distinctly concord grape flavor. Very effervescent. More like a champagne than a beer.

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

2002 vintage (or beerage, as the case may be)

Pours VERY pale yellow, like faded straw, with lots...and lots...and lots...and lots...and lots of VERY small bubbles. Looks, well, like champagne. Extremely carbonated with a large, persistant head. It smells of bananas, peaches, and apricots. Not a whole lot to not like there. Taste - pepper up front, then the fruit comes on with a hint of licorice. Very dry finish, but it comes off as refreshing and crisp. Mouthfeel is all about the carbonation, but it has enough ale body to sustain it. Drinkability is excellent. Doesn't really have an alcohol taste or feel despite its prodigious strength, and the dry finish is refreshing. A winner for sure. Worth the price? I don't doubt the work that goes into it & that the price is justified, but definitely not a daily drinker.

Cuvee Prestige 2002:

Pouring this ale produces a huge, densely foamy white head that very slowly fizzles down. The body is a very clear, straw yellow displaying champagne-esque carbonation. Head retention is unexpectedly good.

The nose of this beer is quite unique and exciting. A potent blend of coriander and caraway seeds mix with lingering saffron for quite an exotic spice presence. Some sweet, sugary aromas blend with warming alcohol and faint ginger for nice complexity.

Much like the nose, an exotic blend of coriander, black pepper, saffron and caraway seed flavors start this beer quite strong. A slight blurb of alcohol hits at the midpoint of a sip. The finish soon approaches with a quick burst of sweetness. This fine beer closes with another short burst of alcohol and the remnants of the initial spice flavor. Lingering grape flavors join as this warms.

The mouthfeel of this beer is naturally carbonated which actually feels strong from the spice presence. The carbonation level matches this beer perfectly and is simply unmatched by any other.

Drinkability is quite good given the strong flavor profile of this beer. Most definitely a sipping beer and a bottle would serve four perfectly. In terms of cost, I can't really say that it is worth it but this is one luxurious beer for sure. Cost aside, this will be a New Year celebration tradition for me.

DeuS (Brut Des Flandres) from Brouwerij Bosteels