DeuS (Brut Des Flandres) - Brouwerij Bosteels

DeuS (Brut Des Flandres)DeuS (Brut Des Flandres)

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  11.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-15-2003)
2.63/5  rDev -36.2%

I poured this into a snifter since the champange flute is too small for me to be drinking out of. The head is that of a champ. lots of tiny bubbles, just carbonation out of control. The aroma was alcoholic and sweet. The taste was a little citrusy, dry, and a backbone of malt. The hops were slightly presesnt with a spiciness, but the sweet alochol overpowered most of the brew. The mouthfeel is sticky sweet and not good when warmed. Not something that I try again. I had it for the experience and I'm glad for that. My friend and I didn't even finish the bottle (it's just not that good a brew for my tastebuds).

phishgator, May 20, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

2002 vintage. This brew pours a cloudy pale orange color with vast streams of visible carbonation. The head is huge, billowy and bright white. The aroma is like a tripel, a saison, and a strong pale ale mixed as one. Citrus and strong earthy tones battle for dominance. The citrus might come out on top by a hair, but my nose is the real winner. The taste is as immense as the aroma, but with the addition of a large alcohol burn in the finish. I had expected the mouthfeel to feel as carbonated as champagne, and the visible carbonation leads me to believe that it might be. However, although it does feel highly carbonated, the medium-full body of this brew makes the carbonation less detectable. Overall, this is a mighty fine brew that I am glad to have found on sale a couple months ago for $18.99 (used to be $24.99). With the price so high I can't see myself buying it again until I see it on sale.

KarlHungus, May 16, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

This is a 750 mL C&C bottle. The ale is chilled, and has been for over one year.

Appearance: This ale is under intense pressure! After popping the cork, the ale erupted all over the floor. The ale itself is a clear, golden color with no sign of sediment. The carbonation left a nice ring of lace around the glass.

Smell: The ale has a dry smell of a champagne. The yeast gives the ale an unusual and pleasant aroma.

Taste: The ale has a sweet honey-like flavor. The yeast and malts mix together to give the ale an unusually sharp taste. Add to that a distinct hop character and the ale tastes great.

Mouthfeel: The ale's carbonation is fantastic, giving the ale a cleansing component. The honey taste is wonderful.

Drinkability: The abv is high, limiting the drinkability. Outside of that, this is an exemplary beer from an unusual and unique style.

akorsak, Apr 15, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +11.2%

This one really blew me away. I had been waiting a while to try it, as I didnt really want to throw down $35 for this one in the states. Luckily I found it at a Del Haize (A big Belgian supermarket) in Gent for only 8 euro or so. We had this with some wonderful orval cheese, corsendonk pate, and cantillon gueuze cooked mussels at my friends house in Antwerpen. Served chilled right from the freezer, the bottle popped with quite a force and poured out two flutes of wonderfully bubbly golden liquid, very reminiscent of champagne in presentation, method, and look. The aromas were all edible flowers, and spices, pretty much, not much malt or hop character at all, but it work. Tastes like 'eating flowers', as my friend said. Pretty much a spicy, flowery melange of happenings, like the sph cuvee des fleurs on crack, more carbonated, more boozy, and more flowery. Mouthfeel is spirtzy, dry, effervescent, and perfect. Drinkability is very good. This one is a real winner, I wish that the price point was lower in the US.

francisweizen, Mar 16, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

Presented in a gorgeous black bottle that was kept on ice while served. There was also an informative tag around the neck that explained how the beer was made and had a few more interesting tidbits; it was in several languages. I had it at Tria in Philadelphia ($35) with some goat cheese and cured meat panini. They did a wonderful job serving it with a flourish (including two perfect opening pours) and the bottle turned everyone's head.
This is a beer with wonderful cross-over appeal. I was able to coax a champage lover into splitting it with me (because a bottle to myself would obviously put me on the floor) and it came across very well.

The beer was served in a champagne glass that was short and a bit tulip-shaped. It had a wide enough opening to allow a little aeration. There are oodles of bubbles and a slightly hazy rich golden color. There is a somewhat substantial head full of miny bubbles when poured, but it dissipates fairly quickly like a soda head.

*Random digression: As I am writing this, I can hear my family debating Budweiser Select vs. Rolling Rock. I think I am adopted.*

While I enjoyed the smell, it wasn't amazing. That being said, I had very high expectations for this beer and was holding it to the highest of standards. Additionally, it should be noted that the bottle was kept chilled in ice water, so the nose probably could not fully develop.

Taste wise it was really quite wonderful. Another BA's characterization as Tripel Karmeliet on steroids is pretty dead-on. It really is a wonderful hybrid of a strong golden tripel and champagne. It definitely is a beer first; the yeastiness is very apparent. The real kick is the interaction between the yeastiness and the oak. I also tasted a bit of muscat grape in it, but that may have been from my association of oak and grapes. If you have ever had the Russian River brew aged in Pinot Noir casks (I can't remember the name) it is somewhat similar in taste.

The mouthfeel is probably the best part of the beer as the tiny bubbles burst all over your tongue. They stay pretty strong throughout the life of the bottle.

This is a very drinkable brew, but one that should be savored and reflected upon. It isn't an everyday beer, obviously due in part to the high price (~$25 in the area). My only quip (and this isn't their fault) is that at 750 mL and ~12% abv it is too much alcohol to have by one's self.

Overall, I highly recommend it.

CarbonBased, Mar 07, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

The beer was poured into a champagne flute.

Appearance:This may be the singularly best looking beer I have ever seen in a glass. The beer poured a clear golden coloration. The head was very tall and proud with an off white coloration. The retention was perfect throughout the consumption of the beer. The carbonation was explosive rolling boiling bubbles. Bits of lace remained on the glass.

Smell: The beer presents with spicy floral citrus with hints of vannilla.

Taste: The beer has a very spicy floral and citrus strike upon tasting. The finish on the taste is bone dry.

Mouthfeel: The beer is light to medium bodied. There is a constant stream of carbonation throughout the drinking of the beer.

Drinkability: This beer is very drinkable. The alcohol in the beer is well covered up. The alcohol makes itself known in a pleasant warming sort of way.

The beer was bottled in 2002.

nlmartin, Feb 25, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a clear goldenrod body with the frothiest head you ever did see; great retention and lacing but you have to wait a while until you can take a sip

Smell: Earthy and perfumey at the same time; almost honeylike

Taste: Starts out with a perfumey but funky farmhouse flavor that is complemented mid-palate with some bitter citrus and cardamom tones that dance with the sweet ones through to the finish that is simultaneously dry and woody

Mouthfeel: Syrupy but light, if that makes sense; loads of carbonation

Drinkability: Not something you can drink in any quantity; I appreciate but do not particularly enjoy the complexity; at this price I am one and done

brentk56, Feb 15, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -30.8%

DeuS Brut des Flanders is best served cold (39-41F) from a champagne flute or lambic-style tumbler. *Warning: Contents under extreme pressure and the cork from this one will easily blow a hole through your ceiling! DeuS pours up very noisily with lots of fizziness much like champagne. The rocky white head completely engulfs the straw-golden body and goes on forever. The aroma is alive with an zesty fruitiness (lemon, lime, orange peel, etc...) with a light fresh graininess and some noteable earthiness (freshly cut hay, morning dew, etc...) which adds to the complexity along with a solid yeast & alcohol spiciness (coriander, clove) with just a touch of vanilla. The flavor starts off with a bit of barley graininess and unexpected tartness, but comes off rather bland with barely perceivable bitterness, clover spiciness and a noteworthy vanilla oakiness which reminds a person that they're even drinking a beer. The finish is almost bone-dry much like a Brut champagne with a blast of hot alcohol. This light-medium bodied specialty is very highly carbonated and would make a fine apertif or digestive for any special occasion or dinner party...if you can afford the asking price. Try pairing with some Belgian or French chocolates or chocolate dipped strawberries for Valentine's Day. Here's to the champagne of the beer world!

CHEERS! Beertracker

Beertracker, Feb 08, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

(Served in a flute)

A- This beer pours a bright pale yellow with a crystal clear body and a strong carbonation of tiny bubbles. The head is a big billowy white mouse that last and last.

S- The smell of earthy grain and hop bitterness are strong with a slight yeasty "Flanders" funk. There is some cooked corn notes to the grain with a slight sweetness.

T- This beer has a soft malt note with a hop bitterness that is blended with a slight sweetness and some alcohol heat.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel and the fizzy is not real strong. There is some alcohol warmth in the finish.

D- This beer is interesting. It has some qualities of highly carbonated malt liquor but then it has some qualities only found in some good wild beers. Definitely an original.

rhoadsrage, Jan 01, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours out lightly tinted straw and sits a radiant light gold in the glass with a massive soapy white head that hold on for all eternity. Lacings? Yeah..where the hell did my glass go?

Crisp malts form the base and are accentuate through a light, tropical fuit character with starfuit and mangoes coming though. Crackery yeast blends with the estery portions. Just a slight twinge of alchol.

Tastes almost entirely void of any sugar, alcohol drying the sides of the tounge while crisp malts being the flavor injections. Dry fruit flavors of lemon zest and starfruit are hit with a soft yeastiness. Peppery and sharp grassy tones dominate the dry, clean finish. Alcohol is present throughout.

Crisp and light with indelible dryness. Seems a bit syrupy once the carbonation diffuses, but still quite light. Carbonation is high, making pouring difficult, the only advantage is that the bottle seems to last much longer.

This was my graduation gift to myself, knowing that I will probably never buy another bottle again. It has its own attractive qualities, but at the price and the status it has....meh. It's worth a shot at least once. Happy Happy Happy Happy.

Skidz, Dec 19, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Pale yellow/golden/blonde sparkling colour with bubbles rising to the head. Creamy white large head with bubbly carbonation. Aroma is quite unlike any other beer I've tried; most noticeably apples, pepper and spices. Flavour is peppery, spicy (cinnamon?), candy-sweet and reminiscent of fresh sweet apples and pears. Later finishes with a yeasty banana taste and warming alcohol. Silky mouthfeel and bubbly carbonation. Rather drinkable considering the alcohol. Glad I was able to share this with a friend for his birthday.

ohitsbrad, Dec 19, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

The colour is clear pale golden yellow. The airy firm white foam is very high and it builds a nice cone. It looks pretty much like champagne.

The smell is discreet; I found dry notes of yeast, white wine and various herbs.

The taste is dry with lots of French herbs, semi-sec sparkling wine. It is restrained and very clean, but at the same time, the flavours are very generous and inviting.

The mouth feel resembles a lot of champagne – very refreshing and very strong with lots of medium-sized bubbles.

My overall reaction: Wow! What a fantastic and innovative brew! But is it really worth $25? Yes! Yes!

bark, Dec 18, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Ye gods, Tripel Karmeleit on steroids! What a way to celebrate my 40th birthday!

I can safely say I have never had beer like it. To paraphrase Star Trek "it's beer Jim, but not as we know it". Pours luminous, sparkling, effervescent light gold with a huge pure white bubbly head. Looks magnificent, every bit a champaigne, but with a proper head. Even after the bottle has been open for some time, the head still pours massive and sticks around for ever.

Aroma is spiced sweet honey with a touch of yeasty funk. This transfers through to the taste, however it finishes surprisingly dry, presumably due to the alcohol, which is present as a peppery sensation, but otherwise well hidden. I did notice a little "latex" (rubber band) presence, although this could be a result of the distance it had to travel to get to me and the poor storage conditions to which I subjected the bottle.

Mouthfeel is smooth, effervescent and ever so slightly viscous.

This beer is dangerously drinkable, and I because I was unable to convince the wife to consume as much as I had hoped, I will be suffering in the morning.

hefevice, Dec 09, 2005

I had no idea this was $27 when I presented it to the cashier. And I thought $24 was a lot for Peche Mortal.

Pours a clear, pale yellow, with a large head. And a seemingly endless effervescence. The aroma is amazingly complex. It is well spiced, with a hint of lemon, grains, wheat, and hops.

The taste is simply amazing. Champagnesque fruitiness, a beer-like yeastiness and hopiness, and malted barley. I have never tasted anything like it. Mouthfeel is creamy despite the carbonation, which is lively to say the least. As for drinkability, one bottle is enough. One 750ml 11.5%ABV bottle, that is.

This was worth the money. It seems best suited as a special occasion beer, or a substitute for champagne. Pairs especially well with this baby brie I'm eating right now.

Sephiroth, Nov 26, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Splurged and bought a $20 bottle of this beer to take home for Thanksgiving.

Upon pouring, an eruptive white head overflows my glass. Appearance is pale golden yellow, only slightly cloudy. Smells of musty horse-blanket/barnyard funk with hints of pepper and a slight citric twang. Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin-ish side and very fine carbonation abounds.

This beer tastes like an aggressive Tripel style ale (think Tripel Karmeliet by the same brewery); quite alcoholic, (though nowhere near the stated 11.5% ABV) with peppery notes and a soft vanilla finish. Contrary to several reviews, I think the taste holds up well after the beer warms, though I believe the mouthfeel does suffer.

Overall, it is everything you would want in a Belgian pale ale and then some. For my money, though, it would be difficult to justify purchasing this one again instead of buying two 750 ml Tripel Karmeliets. But if you have the desire to try something different, and a spare Jackson in your pocket, give it a shot…you won’t be disappointed.

daedalus, Nov 22, 2005
3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

2002. Boozy and horse aroma. Little bit of head. Acidic taste well malted and intense. Smooth. $22 a bottle. Goes well with meat, but not fish was too much like white wine that I believe does not go with fish. Recommended instructions include time in the freezer.

Sammy, Nov 20, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

This the second time I have had this lovely beer, but the first time I paid for it myself. This is very champagne-like in appearance (except much darker honey-golden), but it's a sweet champagne. Lots of carbonation, the gunshot and gunsmoke at opening were quite impressive. But no beer overflow, the foam developing the bottle was so viscous and sticky that it slowly moved up the bottle neck and stopped itself (it did this several times).

Honey, apples, pears, and other sweet fleshy fruits dominate the nose and the taste. The high ABV is very well hidden- I would have rated the drinkability higher except that I knew how high the ABV is- but I did not taste it at all. An excellent example of using the ABV to increase the flavor profile without ruining the overall balance of the beer.

Now I have to say something about price point. I really enjoyed this beer, don't get me wrong, but I can't see returning to it at the price it goes for. That's not part of the numeric review itself, since that doesn't calculate in, but I don't see me ever buying it again, unless I see it much cheaper in Belgium some day.

Dukeofearl, Oct 23, 2005
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Even the bottle exudes a magnificent charm: elegant, dark and refined. Yes, it could be mistaken for a champagne bottle, but to see such a bottle with the heavenly word "beer" on it makes me bound with excitement. A loud pop and the cork is out, mushrooming and showing on the bottom the Bosteel logo. Wow, the little leaflet provided with the beer says "high level of carbonation and abundant foam," and no kidding. The bottle literally foamed over and would not stop even after pouring 2 glasses in succession. It just kept foaming over through the neck. I had it stored on its side in the fridge the whole time, possibly the reason for this. In a fluted champagne glass this could easily pass for a champagne or sparkling wine--that is, except for the head. Imagine a picture-perfect champagne, but with a bright-white head that leaves lacing. The beer is sparkling and bubbly, a frosty nectarine colour with hues of golden honey. Aspirin white head and one which stays very well in a fluted glass, leaving speckled globs of lace. I also tried it in a chalice glass, and the difference was rather of note: the chalice glass held the cold temperature better, and the champagne glass had better head but seemed to warm the beer quicker. The aroma I found a little similar to Unibroue's Edition 2004, with the same minty and oaky aromas. Deus is definitely more complex however. Behind the oakiness and the light spicy smells, almost cinnamon-like, lurks a subtle but enjoyable tartness that is common to sparkling wines. The aroma to me is also quite yeasty in a way, not in the traditional sense though. This is more like a dustiness that plays with light fruits and faint alcohol. The malt is noticeable, lightly roasted. Vanilla and fresh grass notes, strong mint, and, oddly enough, sake: I get some of the rice-like notes from this as I smell. Grape-like smells too. The taste is quite strongly minty alcoholic, more like a good brandy than sparkling wine though. I get pineapple and rum tastes up front, along with solvent phenols and a crisp dryness, and the finish is quite dry indeed, but leaving notes of buttery malt and honey. In the middle are some almost vodka-like feels, strongly tinged with alcohol. The aftertaste also possesses vertmouth or sherry tastes. Lively carbonation, but perhaps not quite as much as you would expect. The beer feels effervescent at first but actually has some thickness to it. For 11.5%, this is dangerously drinkable--refreshing and cold and incredibly unique. Another excellent bridge-over for wine drinkers, and a style I wish was more readily available.

Cwrw, Aug 11, 2005
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The fact that this beer is treated like Champagne, and bottled in France to accomplish that, is quite interesting. But it remains much more like a Biere de Garde than it does sparkling white white. However, it does need to be served chilled, and kept on ice! Once it warms it tends to become overly sweetish and flabby.

The bottle opens with the expected 'crack' of a bottle of Champagne; and it pours a crystal-clear, brass-colored body beneath a two-fingered head of white foam. Streams of bubbles race upwards, much like champagne; and help to maintain its creamy head. In addition, it does leave some wide swatches and splashes of lace, and it keeps a short but solid wall of lace just above the liquid at all times. In essence, it's a beautiful glass of beer!

The nose is sweetish, delivering both a vanilla-ish candyish side and an equal amount of graininess. Some perfumey alcohol, cork, earthy character, mild yeasty spice, and mild Brettanomyces-mustiness adds to its character.

In the mouth it's zesty with a fully effervescent carbonation that's softened a bit by the dextrinous, medium-full bodied malt behind it.

The flavor is exactly as the nose suggests but bigger, with more spiciness and earthiness. However, it's no more complex, and it starts and finishes exactly the same. Still, it is nice enough as it is that it can't be faulted.

Ironically, I feel this beer is better suited for a summer BBQ with some grilled chicken than it is for a candlelight dinner. Or even better, a candle-lit dinner on a cool summer night with flame-grilled chicken and cooked-in-the-husk sweet New Jersey white corn. MMM! And I think it would work equally well at any holiday gathering: either pre-meal, during, or post-feasting. I enjoyed it on a cool July night on my back deck watching the stars, and I thought it was perfect for that as well.

It's pricey because you're paying for the beer to be shipped to France to be turned by the remueur, or riddler; aged; degorged; redosed; and corked (all of which I find to be complete nonsense in the modern world of DE filtration and carb stones...) - but it may still be worth it. Gather a few friends to try it and the price won't seems as much a factor. Appréciez la vie sans s'inquiète !

NeroFiddled, Aug 01, 2005
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a light golden straw color with a thick moussy white head that lasts forever. The beer is super clear which lets you see that there are quite a few bubbles rising.

Aroma: Very passive and clean aroma. I get a light citrus (Lemon and Orange) coming through this thick head. I get the impression of pears mixed with some really fresh spices like Coriander and Ginger. The alcohol is not noticeable in the aroma.

Taste: Very clean with some reserved malt. The spices are really noticeable in the flavor. There is no real yeast character to speak of. The assertive carbonation makes the mouthfeel seem really light, and there is a slight impression of alcohol, but it certainly doesn't reflect the actual alcohol percent.

Opinion: This is a dangerously drinkable beer. Having the name "Flanders" on it made me instantly think that it may have a sour flavor, but this wasn't the case. I wouldn't say that I was disappointed about this, but it surprised me. The beer is really clean for Belgian standards, and reminds me of a spiced up Duvel as much as anything. It is a beer that is absolutely worth a try. The price was a bit steep at $27 a bottle, but when you consider that this is a 750mL of ~12%ABV beer, you can split the price and entertain a few friends with it. Nice!

SkeeterHawk, Jul 30, 2005
4.78/5  rDev +16%

Posh presentation regarding this Cuvee Prestige 2004 Deus from start to finish. Comes in a 750 ml sargasso green champagne magnum, thick brass foil around the caged and corked top. This bottle came with a small booklet around the neck explaining in 3 different languages the special process behind the production of this beer, as well as the ideal way to serve it.

Massive billowing foam on the pour, I had to fill my large fluted glass in stages. What remains is a chunky white sponge for a head which recedes very slowly. The appearance is a gorgeous luminescent clear golden hue.

A light and effervescent character to the nose, sugary and fruity sweet yeast, like blossoms from orange and other citrus trees. As it warms mild hints of ginger, pepper, coriander and nutmeg, even a subtle clove can be picked out.

The flavour, while contained, possesses many small pockets of complexities. In fact after sipping this, I now understand what Unibroue has been aiming for with their anniversary ales. To me this Deus is a more refined example of the flavour profile they've been working towards. Fluffy sweet malt up front like a rolled breakfast pastry, floral hints of tangerine and lemon blending into a dash of spices in the middle: black pepper, ginger, coriander, nutmeg, then back out with a mild wash of citrus once again, noting some lime into the blend this time around. There is a nutty, slighty woody hop character to the finish, with a lingering flavour of yeast that drifts off through the dry aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is light and creamy, a velvety stream that trickles over the palate and tongue, satiating in its wake yet finishing quite crisp and dry, a dryness of wood and desert lime.

Fantastic stuff, well worth the $20CAN I spent on it, I'm glad I held out to sample it when I was in the right mood and didn't rush it. There is nothing overpowering or aggressive about this beer whatsoever, it is subtle and refined and has it all in the right places to the proper degree in my opinion. Even the abv% isn't apparent within the taste, it is smooth and isn't very noticable until halfway through the bottle when it becomes apparent within the bloodstream. I have many personal things to celebrate this day, and I'm very happy to have had this Brut Des Flanders to enjoy it with. I'd definitely pick up more if I came across it again, even though this was one of the last bottles available.

IronDjinn, Jul 17, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

The wrapping was a wishful prelude to what I was hoping for in such an expensive beer. The smooth mouth feel with a bit of spice made me consider honing my additives ID. Brussels lace stormed through the experience, while the head settled down in order to aid in my imbibing of this rare treat. There is a sweetness coupled with a possible hint of cloves or other spices that does not overwhelm the palate. Color and balance is exceptional without one nuance becoming the one distinguishing trait of the beer. It is very smooth with a pleasant aftertaste.

I would recommend this Belgium ale to someone who has tried many of this type to fully appreciate what it’s up against. Did I think it was worth the price? Yes. Would I try it again? Possibly, but I there are too many other beers out there and life is too short to try them all.

beertwisted, Jul 14, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Corked and caged Cuvee Prestige 2002 bottle pours a bright golden orange with a huge foamy off white head that leaves a sticky lacing in my glass. Aromas of ginger bread, lemons and spices, fruity pear spicy ginger, nutmeg, cloves and pepper flavors. Full bodied with a super carbonated tingling mouthfeel, finishes spicy, alcohol well hidden. Defiantly worth a try even at the $23.99 price tag.

maxpower, Jul 10, 2005
4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Oures a golden colour with lots of tiny bubbles. The head was fairly massive, especially at first pouring. It looks good, the colour is quite bright.

Smell of belgian yeast is immediately noted. There seemed to be a bit of hop at first, but now, I can't find it. There is a bit of a soapy aroma, though not enough to be unpleasant.

Taste is a range of sweet flavours with a hint of bitterness lurking below. I find a bit of champagne taste, but lots of champagne feel. There is almost a sugary coating that falls all over the tongue with each mouthfull.

Mouthfeel is nice, here is where the champagne makes its appearance. Quite nice.

Drinkability is great, especially when you factor in that this is about the strongest beer I've had. Nice sipper.

Don't know if I'd spend the money again, but it is an experience I'm glad I had.

elricorico, Jul 05, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Cuvée Prestige 2002

Presentation: Quality looking package from top to bottom. From the rather unique looking bowling ball bottle to the simple yet quality looking labeling. Thick dark gold embossed foil cap covers the cork and cage. Once the foil is removed, it reveals a creamy brown metallic cap which has the same ‘CB’ design as the embossed foil. The thumbed cork is easily popped with a loud ‘phrupp’ and the accompanying whiffs of thick white-blue gun smoke. Nice detailing throughout, even the underside of the cork has a design on it! Labeled as ‘Beyond the Best of - DEUS - Brut des Flandres, Cuvée Prestige 2002’. Listed at 11.5%.

Appearance: Pours like champagne, which is no surprise I guess. Massive frothing white head races up my Ourdaller glass (the tallest flute I could find). The milky pour soon dissipates downwards to form a striking and shining pale golden body that revels in its own importance, and upwards to form a large deep frothy white head which leaves some excellent lacing and an intensely strong density despite it looks. Massive amounts of streamers punctuate and fill the glass. Once the head forms, stabilizes and then collapses willy-nilly to form a honeycombed marrowbone formation above the pernicious body, this looks bloody fantastic in a tall flute!

Nose: Floral tones mix with lightly toasted Belgian malts and a blossom like finish. Spicy hops and peppers come and go, as does the perfumed lavender blossom in this one.

Taste: Lovely perfumed ginger spices and lightly toasted Belgian malts ebb and flow with the allspice, lavender and white pepper tones. Smooth dry finish that quickly begs the next mouthful. Long lasting finish that leaves a blossom stained pear tinted solvent like residue on the cheeks. Bloody lovely.

Mouthfeel: Bière De Champagne cum Bière Brut always has an intensely satisfying and massive Mouthfeel due to the intense carbonation. This is 11.5% as well, Geez! Well it is there, if you want to look for it, some light perfume tinted alcohol reams the middle of this brew. Monsterous presence, certainly not backwards in coming forwards!

Drinkability: Drinks well, light yet bold and intensely lively with a lovely refreshing feel throughout. Massive assault on the tongue once the über chilled highly carbonated creation hits your warm tongue and then it is party time. Is this what they mean by Champagne Socialism!? I’m all for it.

Overall: Utterly fantastic, what better beer to celebrate the 4th July than with a super-chilled Brut des Flandres whilst watching all the locals on the Beach celebrating in the hot afternoon sunshine. Don’t let it warm though, serve this one *super-chilled* and keep the bottle on ice to get it at its best.

A brilliant, yet completely polarizing creation.

Is this worth $25 for the bottle that I paid?
Well, for special occasions - Absolutely!!!

Happy 4th July!

Music: The Smiths – The Queen is Dead.

TheLongBeachBum, Jul 05, 2005