DeuS (Brut Des Flandres) - Brouwerij Bosteels

DeuS (Brut Des Flandres)DeuS (Brut Des Flandres)

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  11.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-15-2003)
4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a clear medium to dark amber, topped with a huge three finger tan head, leaves a sheet of lace covering the glass.
Fruit, grape, flowers notes in the vinuous aroma.
Spicy, robust taste, fruit, alcohol, flowers and grape.
Medium to full bodied, good drinkability but it's not going to draw many repeat buys at almost $35 a bottle.

mschofield, Mar 29, 2005
4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Reviewed from notes.

Enjoyed as a 2oz sample at the Belgian Beer Fest 2004. Truly an excellent beer. But worth $40 a pop? Maybe... Pours a very light, yellow-clear color. Excellent head retention. Carbonation was predominant. Smell is potent, sweet, and alcoholic. My fellow BA Charthepirate finds this beer exceptionally balanced; yet I find the biting alcoholic taste to be an overall detractor to the experience. Regardless, this beer puts forth an excellent display with cinnamon flavors prominent and a floral background. Aftertaste dissipates nearly immediately. Overall, delicious, but pricey.

RocketWidget, Mar 26, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This one poured a light yellow in color with an orangish hue. The carbonation was just furious, as you would expect from the style.

The head was just incredible. It came up like champagne but then showed the retention of a strong Belgian beer. What an amazing combination. It was thicker than thick. I’m sure I could have stood a dime on top of it.

Smell – The malts here are Belgianesque and somewhat light, but it’s the spices that blow you away. They are just huge! The cardamon especially is off the charts. I keep some around the house to put in my Turkish coffee and kept comparing the two aromas just for s**** and giggles. There were some good, quality white pepper notes in there as well.

Taste – This was heavenly. The light malts came out in the taste, but again it was the amazing spices that carried the day. The cardamon was huge on the palate.

I thought I picked up some light Belgian hops along with a delicate touch of yeast. This really is a complex and tasty brew.

Mouthfeel – This Biére De Champagne had the best mouthfeel of any beer that I’ve had to date. It was extremely thick, almost full-bodied, with the most incredible carbonation imaginable. The fluffy, ultra-smooth mouthfeel made my evening.

Drinkability – This was a real treat. I found the many different flavors and big spicing reminiscent of some of the “farmier” Belgian styles. Overall, this is a great one to share with a friend or loved one. And, like a few other BAs have said, would make the ultimate accompaniment to a nice Thanksgiving dinner.

Comments – My “special occasion” for popping this cork was review #1,300. What a treat to find a new beer-style (new to me) after so many reviews. I’ve seen the bottle in the stores before but would have never thought of buying it was it not for the strong rating on BeerAdvocate. A great beer and a great site!

RoyalT, Mar 26, 2005
4.68/5  rDev +13.6%

We had guests over for dinner tonight and we cracked open one of the bottles. My recommendation is to have it BEFORE or AFTER dinner. Since the beer is so incredibly complex I would opt for BEFORE dinner before your palette becomes too bombarded with all the different tastes. This is THE most complex and sophisticated beer I've ever had (by far). Aside from price, I'd rate this one a 9.5 out of 10. We started with the Deus and then went to my personal favorites and it was amazing how much my "favorites" all of a sudden didn't rise to the occasion. This is an unbelievable beer that will surely impress anyone who appreciates fine brewing and has the palette for it. Don't waste it on "the average beer drinker"...they won't get it. Definitely chill it for several hours and shove it in the freezer about 15 minutes before you plan on opening it. The extra "boost" in cold temperature adds to the experience. The silky smooth finish on the tongue just screamed SNOBBY!!

It's fine Belgium brewing meets champagne - it's too bizarre to describe but the taste will be unforgettable. The experience was well worth the hefty price tag, but not one I could afford to drink week in and week out. I'm not convinced a high price tag automatically suggests it's a premium brew, in fact, several expensive beers I've tried I'm still trying to figure out what the "hoopla's" all about. Deus is an exception. You'll never find a beer anywhere else this unique in texture, smell, and taste.

jzeilinger, Mar 26, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Corked and caged bottle, poured into champagne flutes as an aperitif and with the salad course on 3/19/05.

Perhaps I didn't let this one chill down enough, but when I popped the cork it was geyserville for a good two minutes. It finally calmed down and I was able to get a decent pour. Very active carbonation, translucent gold colour with a foamy 2 inch thinck head that calmed down to a quarter inch. Champagne meets Belgium in the aroma; vanilla, clove, merengue, yeast, green apple, candied orage, spice. It's worth noting that if you follow serving intructions as written on the bottle and serve this chilled to 2-4° C the flavor is very crisp, floral, and clean. A plethora of flavors will come out of nowhere as this warms up. Sweet malt, honey, apricot, citrus all make an appearance along with a subtle spiciness. The feel of this is refreshing thoughout with a very fine mousse/bubble structure/carbonation. Beautiful and highly drinkable.

Hefe, Mar 21, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

Such an awesome beer, a real mix of styles, but what more can you expect from the Belgians?
I first read about DeuS in BYO magazine, and wished for it to come to Australia. Well, my wish was granted when my local great beer shop, the Oxford Tavern's owner Simon told me he had it in. Some mates and I had a bottle last night.
Poured into champagne flutes, the DeuS had a huge frothy head that dissipated to a tight 5mm foam, that clung to the glass, the beer working like mad. Strings of tiny bubbles rushing up to the head.
Aroma of sweet malt, that gorgeous yeast character that Belgians have, fruits, citrus notes (coriander?), and no hops.
Tasted great, and shitloads better than any champagne I've ever had. Very sweet, dry, malty and yeasty, clean and mouthfilling. The carbonation fills out your mouth like a bubbly, but not like a softdrink. Finishes sweet and clean, a lingering malty sweetness, and flavours of pear and apples.
A great beer, well worth the $45 paid, and a brew that could easily be drank inplace of champagne, any time, even with an abv of 11.5%.

revdrjbob, Feb 27, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +11.2%

Got this one for a birthday present, and like all expensive brews, I wanted to make sure I had a special occasion to drink it. Then again, according to the film Sideways, when you drink it, it is a special occasion. Anyway, had to have it in a champagne flute and I was well rewarded. It poured with a huge white, fluffy head and a light golden body with constant carbonation movement. Quite entertaining really. A lovely floral and clove-like nose precedes the indulgence. The mouthfeel is peppery and malty, but is not the essence of the beer. The lifeline, in my humble opinion, is the great marriage of the floral and sugary essences. Truly wonderful. There also is a splash of orange zest that thusly adds to the complexity. The finish perks up with an alcohol presence that is the foreground of a lemony/orange and malty background. Just a world class beer.

Hhawk06, Feb 25, 2005
4.68/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a champagne blonde color with tons of bubbles. In fact, the bubbles ended up over flowing my glass each pour.

The smell was very gentle. Hidden in there were some complicated herbs and spices and noticable wood and pepper notes.

The taste is opposite of what I was expecting. The appearance suggests a very sweet, champagne type drink. However, the flavor is very buttery and salty. Then it dries up to an alcohol and ginger finish. Very smooth.

The body on this beer is exceptional. It just overpowers your mouth with its size.

GuinnessSmurf, Feb 14, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

I've never had a beer quite like this.

Pours a pale yellow with lots of carbonation and a thick white head. Looks like champagne with the head of a beer. Smell is of fruit and herbs.

Taste was dry and spicy, and pretty much what I expect from a good Belgian ale. Mouthfeel is light and complex at the same time. Champagne carbonation is present but not overpowering.

Finishes dry with a light flowery hop character lingering on the tongue.

This beer was quite pricey, but well worth the money as it was a style that I really wanted to try. Very impressive!

Beervis, Jan 24, 2005
4.08/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

What an interesting drink!

Shared with food and wine geek friends, 3 of which are chefs, this was a great experience and enjoyed by everyone who had a taste. Served with a fig chocolate bread pudding topped with ricotta and strawberries macerated in armangac this was quite the beer. For lack of appropriate glassware, white wine glasses were used. =-(

The nose was extremely herbal and resinous like rosemary and lavender but not as "green". The flavors were very mineral, dry with a lightly spicy finish. Not at all what I expected but pleasantly surprising!

The table consensus was pairing DeuS with wood roasted oysters, drizzled with olive oil and crispy pancetta crumbles would be an ideal match.

Not an everyday drink based on flavors and the price ($24) but a highly worthwhile experience.

hoppyending, Jan 15, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -12.6%

Appearance: Pale golden in color, with a touch of haze. The snow-white head is absolutely massive and retains better that any beer I have ever tried. Though poured very gently into a champagne flute, the head still comprised eighty percent of the volume, with clumps of sticky foam coat the glass walls. When poured, profuse streams of carbonation rise to the surface, only gradually diminishing, so that it was very well carbonated throughout even a slow paced session.

Aroma: Quite spicy in character with very distinct pear notes, and lesser golden raisins. Despite the high alcoholic content (11.5% ABV), little alcohol was present in the aroma. There was a distinct, but mild floral hop note and beneath it all, some faint maltiness.

Taste: Begins with light and spicy with mild ripe pear and tropical fruit notes. Finished with a light and pleasant spicy note and a harsh phenol alcohol note.

Mouth feel: Smooth and pleasant, very full, and with slight effervescent carbonation, lacks the harshness of champagne.

Drinkability/notes: This is the part of the review that I feel most conflicted about. This beer, which was a gift from my lovely fiancée, was chosen for my 500th review and for the 250th review of my friend and fellow BeerAdvocate HardTarget. It was consumed on New Year's Day by my fiancée, HardTarget, his charming wife, and myself. I think that the ambiance of the day and the company of good friends added considerably to the enjoyment of this beer. In light of the price, about $25.00, it is much easier to justify Deus if it is shared with friends, rather than consumed alone. This is a beer that every BeerAdvocate should try once, though I suspect for most, it will be only once. For the purchase price, one could just as easily buy four bombers of really good Belgian beer. Still, it seems to conform well to the parameters of its rare style, so there can be no regrets.

Presentation: Packaged in a 750ml dark green glass champagne bottle with cork and a wire cage and foil closure. Served in champagne flutes, though I suspect that, due to the massive head volume, a Belgian goblet is a better choice.

Pegasus, Jan 08, 2005
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Golden champagne in appearance with heavy carbonation. Aroma is a blend of herbs, spice, and medicinal antiseptic. Flavor is similar, very dry not too tart yet malty in flavor. Not very much body to speak of. This is a very unique beer, not what I was expecting.

redmosquito, Jan 07, 2005
3.35/5  rDev -18.7%

Beautiful upside down wine glass shaped dark green bottle, caged, corked and plastic covered top. Given other reviewers notes, served very cold, about low 30s, and opened outside. Firm pop, but no dramatics on opening. This was a 2002 bottle sampled New Years Day 2005 with fellow BA Pegasus and is my 250th BA beer review. It was Pegasus’ 500th review for BA, and thus we went big on price. Oddly, the abv of 11.5% on the bottle was marked over with a black marker (which came off with some alcohol rubbing).
Aroma: For me, the aroma was the highlight of the experience. Has a candy apple soda smell, something like 7 up, with a good dose of sweet and minor floral notes.
Appearance: Bright lemon yellow, very clear in the glass and when very gently poured had 4 fingers of white (Don Ho voice) tiny bubbles (/Don Ho voice). As mentioned, served very cold and was extremely carbonated even after the 4 finger head settled down.
Flavor: Very much like champagne, or a very dry white wine. Some pear noted.
Mouthfeel: Very dry with a puckering astringency. It was like I could feel the alcohol evaporating on my tongue and wafting straight up to my brain. The alcohol was very present and warming.
Overall Impression: For me, this was; too expensive, too dry, too champagne like. I don’t like champagne, but this smells better than any champagne I’ve had. I’m going to be generous on my score for this section because the beer is definitely within style, it’s just a style I can see myself not liking.

HardTarget, Jan 02, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

This poured to a bright gold with a huge head that lasted fairly well. A stripe of lace develops from time to time.

The flavors coming out of this thing are light, delicate, and masterful. The smell really starts it off appropriately, bringing spice flavors on top of yeast and an ever so mild alcoholic kick. The taste in the mouth follows that nicely, with a similar touch of spice. Grains and malts are detectable but are not the center of attention. The mouthfeel is dominated by carbonation. Drinkability is oustanding for the alcohol levels found here.

This is extremely unique and very good.

watermelonman, Dec 27, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +6.3%

Served in a 750 mL bottle into a goblet. The color is golden, with a VERY thick head (albeit a tad uneven at this point) that has a nice fine foaminess, and a lovely, heavy cascading bubble effect from the bottle up to the head. The smell is a nice spiciness and a sweet maltiness, with a hint of that champagne yeast. The taste is somewhat sweet with a very strong spice to it, along with a very nice champagne body and character to it (is this fermented with champagne yeast?), and the alcohol is present but has a nice warming feel. Mouthfeel is extremely well-carbonated (not unsurprisingly) with a very good creamy body. As for drinkability, one I'd definitely have again, but just too big and complex to be a sessioner.

Now, this is a beer worth its premium price!!! I can see why they call this biere de champagne, because it reminds me a lot of the champagnes I've had in my life; a hint of sweetness (this one isn't quite a brut) and a nice character. However, I love the barley character instead of the grapes! Certainly, in any situation I have to serve champagne (hey, I'm not married yet!!), this would be one I would put there, since this is as good as wine champagnes that are twice as much. This is one that I certainly will have again, once my pockets deepen that is!!!!

beergeek279, Dec 18, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

A champagne beer? How will this turn out...

Clear yellow-gold in color. Huge volumes of carbonation swirling around. Strangely, the whitish head is quite robust, lasting an eternity. Amazing lacing of the glass. Aromas tickle the nostrils. Sorta like perfume crossed with an array of citrus. Flavor is superb. It's hard to convince yourself that this is beer your are drinking. Crackly carbonation enhances the drenching of the tastebuds from the sugary sweetness up front, smoothing out to a more pronounced peppery/hop bite in the middle, and finishes with a honey-glazed orange spice zip. Dry? Hell yes. Simply an amazing creation.

OldFrothingSlosh, Dec 02, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

2001 bottle. Hold the foam, batman! Geez, this thing foams almost as bad as an Adam Beer from Hair of the Dog. Lots of puffy white head that sticks around. Takes forever to pour a glass. Nice golden color. The aroma is spicy and yeasty with a lot of lemon character. The flavor is very spicy and yeasty as well - as I expect most good Belgians to be. Has a crisp, lemony zing. I couldn't detect the alcohol very well until after drinking it, so it's pretty well masked. Great drinkability.

clvand0, Oct 14, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

My girlfriend picked this up for our two year anniversery

appearance: a crisp, clear, golden yellow pour. This stuff wont stop foaming!! Wow.

Smell: smells spicy, yeasty, kind of reminds me of a dry white wine in a way

Taste: Very carbonated and crisp, there is a definite alcohol presence, the yeast is spicy in flavor. Sweet grain pops through a little, and the slightest bit of hops.

Well, overall this beer is very different, definitely champagne like. Would I get this again? probably not at $23 a bottle, but it is worth a try.

bnuttz, Oct 09, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

Served in a Deus tulip this poured a pale yellow color and makes a tall frothy white head. Aroma is of citrus fruit and fresh cut flowers. Very complex flavor with notes of alcohol, lemon, honey, and bread dough. Medium bodied, bubbly carbonation and finishes rather dry. I enjoyed it, although it was quite pricey.

kmcnair, Oct 08, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What an intriguing beer. This beer poured a nice transparent golden color with just tons of light fluffy head everywhere. We had to pour and wait multiple times. The nose was very tart, almost gueuze-like, with lots of lemony citrus in there. The taste is fairly different from the nose. Theres some of hte lemon in there, but there was something that reminded me of a soapyness, but it wasn't bad. I wish I knew what it was that I was tasting. The mouthfeel was very crisp, moderately thick and very sprightly. For a big beer, the alcohol was not apparent at all, except to my head. I was glad this was split 3 ways. A huge thanks to clvand0 for sharing this gem.

kmpitz2, Oct 05, 2004
3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

Clear.

Struggling aroma of vanilla, herbs, peanuts, anise with a nice array of hops and a biscuit like malt profile.

Sweet and candy-like, with many passion fruit notes along with notes of black peppers, honey, melon and peach. The finish is very dry. Poorly hidden alcohol. Not all its cracked up to be. I'm glad I got this for free.

Crosling, Oct 01, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Thick foamy head, denser than for champagne and lasting, which is good for the appearance and for the mouthfeel. A crazy level of carbonation is observable in the clear golden color body. Fruity smell of sweet peaches and a vendanges tardives aspect (should I write this review in French?). Yeasty and doughy, but aired and subtle. The taste is reminiscent of a fine white wine but sweeter and nicely fruity with very light herbal notes of hops and citric notes of grapefruit and orange peel. The mouthfeel is round and not as dry as for champagne, which I found great. Full, easy to drink thanks to the high carbonation. Nicely chewy with some interesting notes of liquorice in the end and hints of cloves and cinammon. Great mouthfeel and drinkability. A very original brew, that's definitely worth a try.

tjd25, Sep 18, 2004
4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

Ok--my most expensive beer to date. I paid $30 for 750 ml. I had been waiting for the right time to try it and it seems like the cash was reasonably well spent. Deus is a work of art in the appearance department. It is truly the "methode de champagne" that the guy talked about at the Ommegang brewery tour I recenty went on. Belgian all the way. It does take a while to settle and the head retention is almost too effective -it takes too long to settle. Leaves a beautiful 4-6 mm head and the carbonation is identical to the finest of champagnes.

Nose is a very powerful but not too strong floral, soapy mix of lavender, ginger and slight honey-grass. I can't believe this is beer.

Taste has the lavender and floral essence of the smell but is even better-if that can be accomplished. I am sorry to say that this might be a bottled beer that is better than its draft counterpart. Based on the price--nobody would buy the draft version, if it existed.It has a nice floral middle and finishes dry with a hint of ginger and floral lavender. None of these flavors are too overpowering.

I am happy that the exorbitant price equated to oneof the finest beers I have ever tried.

rousee, Sep 18, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a five-finger+ white bubbly head leaving a good lace. Clear amber color. Strong carbonation - pour slow. Medium bodied. Nose is sweet and spicey. Starts and finishes sweet with spices very smooth. The high ABV is not really noticeable. I had to pause before buying one of these but it was for our anniversary soooo $35.00 for a 750ml bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma. To be honest most Belgian beers are good and you can get an equally good one for $30 less.

jdhilt, May 31, 2004
3.35/5  rDev -18.7%

Bottle provided by Kimchee in our tasting with tiggmtl, martint and oakes Appearance is neat. highly carbonated pale blond with a generous white head. Aroma is mineralic, nice at first, but becoming dull and off as it warms, I don’t know what to do with this. They say to drink this cold, I’ll ensure to try it cold with a next bottle, but for now, something like a cleaning product develops in the warming aroma, something like the yellow of the egg too. Sweet powder sugar is added to the melting with a leafy and spicy counterparts that would actually appear well blended without the phenomenon stated above. In mouth, there’s a spritzy dryness, but not as intense as a champaign’s and there’s definitely still lots of sweetness getting through. Lemony flavors, moderate alcohol, but still well hidden for 11.5%. There’s a slight bitterness that seems slightly off and once again, as it warms, there’s a dusty plastic flavor I don’t enjoy at all. Nevertheless it’s extremely original, flowery and initially pleasant, so I assume this bla bla about drinking it cold is to be taken seriously. Mouthfeel is fabulous though, indeed champaigny, heavily carbonated, slightly astringent. I’m definitely not buying another bottle though, as good as it looks.

Rastacouere, May 24, 2004