DeuS (Brut Des Flandres) - Brouwerij Bosteels

DeuS (Brut Des Flandres)DeuS (Brut Des Flandres)

Brouwerij Bosteels visit their website

Bière de Champagne / Bière Brut |  11.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-15-2003)
4.78/5  rDev +15.7%

Posh presentation regarding this Cuvee Prestige 2004 Deus from start to finish. Comes in a 750 ml sargasso green champagne magnum, thick brass foil around the caged and corked top. This bottle came with a small booklet around the neck explaining in 3 different languages the special process behind the production of this beer, as well as the ideal way to serve it.

Massive billowing foam on the pour, I had to fill my large fluted glass in stages. What remains is a chunky white sponge for a head which recedes very slowly. The appearance is a gorgeous luminescent clear golden hue.

A light and effervescent character to the nose, sugary and fruity sweet yeast, like blossoms from orange and other citrus trees. As it warms mild hints of ginger, pepper, coriander and nutmeg, even a subtle clove can be picked out.

The flavour, while contained, possesses many small pockets of complexities. In fact after sipping this, I now understand what Unibroue has been aiming for with their anniversary ales. To me this Deus is a more refined example of the flavour profile they've been working towards. Fluffy sweet malt up front like a rolled breakfast pastry, floral hints of tangerine and lemon blending into a dash of spices in the middle: black pepper, ginger, coriander, nutmeg, then back out with a mild wash of citrus once again, noting some lime into the blend this time around. There is a nutty, slighty woody hop character to the finish, with a lingering flavour of yeast that drifts off through the dry aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is light and creamy, a velvety stream that trickles over the palate and tongue, satiating in its wake yet finishing quite crisp and dry, a dryness of wood and desert lime.

Fantastic stuff, well worth the $20CAN I spent on it, I'm glad I held out to sample it when I was in the right mood and didn't rush it. There is nothing overpowering or aggressive about this beer whatsoever, it is subtle and refined and has it all in the right places to the proper degree in my opinion. Even the abv% isn't apparent within the taste, it is smooth and isn't very noticable until halfway through the bottle when it becomes apparent within the bloodstream. I have many personal things to celebrate this day, and I'm very happy to have had this Brut Des Flanders to enjoy it with. I'd definitely pick up more if I came across it again, even though this was one of the last bottles available.

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

The wrapping was a wishful prelude to what I was hoping for in such an expensive beer. The smooth mouth feel with a bit of spice made me consider honing my additives ID. Brussels lace stormed through the experience, while the head settled down in order to aid in my imbibing of this rare treat. There is a sweetness coupled with a possible hint of cloves or other spices that does not overwhelm the palate. Color and balance is exceptional without one nuance becoming the one distinguishing trait of the beer. It is very smooth with a pleasant aftertaste.

I would recommend this Belgium ale to someone who has tried many of this type to fully appreciate what it’s up against. Did I think it was worth the price? Yes. Would I try it again? Possibly, but I there are too many other beers out there and life is too short to try them all.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Corked and caged Cuvee Prestige 2002 bottle pours a bright golden orange with a huge foamy off white head that leaves a sticky lacing in my glass. Aromas of ginger bread, lemons and spices, fruity pear spicy ginger, nutmeg, cloves and pepper flavors. Full bodied with a super carbonated tingling mouthfeel, finishes spicy, alcohol well hidden. Defiantly worth a try even at the $23.99 price tag.

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Oures a golden colour with lots of tiny bubbles. The head was fairly massive, especially at first pouring. It looks good, the colour is quite bright.

Smell of belgian yeast is immediately noted. There seemed to be a bit of hop at first, but now, I can't find it. There is a bit of a soapy aroma, though not enough to be unpleasant.

Taste is a range of sweet flavours with a hint of bitterness lurking below. I find a bit of champagne taste, but lots of champagne feel. There is almost a sugary coating that falls all over the tongue with each mouthfull.

Mouthfeel is nice, here is where the champagne makes its appearance. Quite nice.

Drinkability is great, especially when you factor in that this is about the strongest beer I've had. Nice sipper.

Don't know if I'd spend the money again, but it is an experience I'm glad I had.

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Cuvée Prestige 2002

Presentation: Quality looking package from top to bottom. From the rather unique looking bowling ball bottle to the simple yet quality looking labeling. Thick dark gold embossed foil cap covers the cork and cage. Once the foil is removed, it reveals a creamy brown metallic cap which has the same ‘CB’ design as the embossed foil. The thumbed cork is easily popped with a loud ‘phrupp’ and the accompanying whiffs of thick white-blue gun smoke. Nice detailing throughout, even the underside of the cork has a design on it! Labeled as ‘Beyond the Best of - DEUS - Brut des Flandres, Cuvée Prestige 2002’. Listed at 11.5%.

Appearance: Pours like champagne, which is no surprise I guess. Massive frothing white head races up my Ourdaller glass (the tallest flute I could find). The milky pour soon dissipates downwards to form a striking and shining pale golden body that revels in its own importance, and upwards to form a large deep frothy white head which leaves some excellent lacing and an intensely strong density despite it looks. Massive amounts of streamers punctuate and fill the glass. Once the head forms, stabilizes and then collapses willy-nilly to form a honeycombed marrowbone formation above the pernicious body, this looks bloody fantastic in a tall flute!

Nose: Floral tones mix with lightly toasted Belgian malts and a blossom like finish. Spicy hops and peppers come and go, as does the perfumed lavender blossom in this one.

Taste: Lovely perfumed ginger spices and lightly toasted Belgian malts ebb and flow with the allspice, lavender and white pepper tones. Smooth dry finish that quickly begs the next mouthful. Long lasting finish that leaves a blossom stained pear tinted solvent like residue on the cheeks. Bloody lovely.

Mouthfeel: Bière De Champagne cum Bière Brut always has an intensely satisfying and massive Mouthfeel due to the intense carbonation. This is 11.5% as well, Geez! Well it is there, if you want to look for it, some light perfume tinted alcohol reams the middle of this brew. Monsterous presence, certainly not backwards in coming forwards!

Drinkability: Drinks well, light yet bold and intensely lively with a lovely refreshing feel throughout. Massive assault on the tongue once the über chilled highly carbonated creation hits your warm tongue and then it is party time. Is this what they mean by Champagne Socialism!? I’m all for it.

Overall: Utterly fantastic, what better beer to celebrate the 4th July than with a super-chilled Brut des Flandres whilst watching all the locals on the Beach celebrating in the hot afternoon sunshine. Don’t let it warm though, serve this one *super-chilled* and keep the bottle on ice to get it at its best.

A brilliant, yet completely polarizing creation.

Is this worth $25 for the bottle that I paid?
Well, for special occasions - Absolutely!!!

Happy 4th July!

Music: The Smiths – The Queen is Dead.

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

I bought this pricey bottle for my birthday. It looked like something seriously special and I it seemed to get good reviews. So despite the fact that I'm completely new to the 'Bière Brut' style I wanted to give this a try.
The presentation is great. A lot of effort has gone in the design of the bottle, the labels, the glasses (wich I couldn't find for sale anywhere unfortunately) and the little booklet.

Appearance: The foam started pouring out immediately upon openin the bottle. Very champagne-like indeed. Once poured in a glass (flute) the beer had a strawy yellow color topped by a huge, moussy head.

Smell: The smell is spicy but very unusual for a beer. I don't know exactly how they did it, but this is definitly not a classic beer. More like a hybrid of beer and different types of aperitivs. The smell is could bes described as spicy, grassy, vinious (in that sense that it smells a bit perfumy, a bit herbal even) Strange but very pleasant.

Taste: Spicy aspects dominate the taste, but once again it's not the kind of spicy you'll find in a tripel. It's more subtle and more bold at the same time. There were some odd flavours in there though wich I thought were very hard to define. Might have been menthol like other advocates have suggested.

Mourthfeel and Drinkabillity: the mouthfeel was top notch. Very apt carbonation and a fresh & pleasant dryness immediately make this brew feel 'right'. The drinkabillity is another matter however. This is one heady liquid and the strangeness and high ABV makes it hard to really call this beer highly drinkable.

Final thoughts:
Exquisit enough to justify the price if you ask me, but not tasty enough for me personally to buy again. An intresting effort though in a style I should revisit!

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a very light straw colour with a massive stark white head. The head is more mousse like as it seems so dense you could eat it with a spoon. Once the head vanishes one is left with a thin wisp of white on top. Nice sticky lacing down the glass.

Aroma is nice, but almost too complex. Notes of candied citrus, perfume, anise, lavender, along with some sweet bready notes.

Taste is delicious. Strong floral notes drift into sweet citrus then spice and back and forth it goes. Each sip seems to bring a new sensation to the taste buds.

Mouthfeel is also top notch. Fine champagne like bubbles tickle the palate and keep the beer light and refreshing. Sweet, but dry. This is a beer to be savoured and sipped for sure. The alcohol is well hidden and never intrusive.

Drinkability. Even considering the price I would want this again and again. So subtle and complex.. The comparison to fine champagne is on the money. I think I will get another couple bottles just to hold onto for special occasions. Would go great with anything champagne goes with and more. Would make an outstanding Apperitif. Highly recommended.

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

The beer poured into the Duvel glass (seemed somehow appropriate), crystal clear pale golden straw with a huge effervescent white and moussy head which lasted for days and as it slowly fell it coated the glass.

The aroma was very interesting and complex with menthol and citrus peels (orange, lemon, and lime) added with some spicy phenolics brought about by alcohol and carbonation.

The flavor was also very interesting with earthy hops being overshadowed with citrus, more lime, lemon and finally orange. The menthol aroma carried into the flavor and added complexity, certainly not perceptible in aroma and flavor as a flaw. The bittering was present, but not in the forefront and was earthy and interesting.

The finish was just dry with lasting clove and citrus flavors pleasantly long into the aftertaste. The body was medium to medium light and the carbonation level was off the charts making the body seem less. The alcohol was present at every step in the voyage, the aroma, the flavor and especially the warming after consumption.

750 ml brownish gren bottle. $24.99. Label says 2002 vintage. Most expensive beer I have drank at home to date. This is a beer to enjoy with a group. Tough to consume by yourself, but very interesting, my palate will never be the same from the flavors and the carbonation.

2.78/5  rDev -32.7%

25.4 oz. bottle, corked and caged. Vintage 2002.

Appearance: A golden-yellow beer that produced a very champagne-like head on the pour (go figure). The difference was that this head lingered longer, though not by a lot.

Smell: Alcoholic, floral, and perfume-like. Lots of lavender and lilac; very different from the floral characteristic that I associate with hops.

Taste: I could cut-and-paste my smell description into the taste section word-for-word and be happy. Strong alcohol combined with lavender and lilac perfume. The first glass was so alcoholic that I almost stopped drinking right then. (This really hurt the "taste" rating.) However, I pressed on with pride (and remembered how much I paid for this bottle) and as I downed a few more glasses, this seemed to subside and the other flavors came out more.

I really didn't care for this beer at first, but I got to where I thought it was okay by the end of the bottle. That's all, though. Defintely nothing special, in my opinion. I'm glad that I tried it, but it is nowhere, I repeat NOWHERE near being worth the $30 that I paid for this bottle. Even for half that price, I wouldn't buy another. I appreciate the process and the labor that goes into making this beer, but end the end it's still a flower-ridden, perfumey brew with an overpowering alcohol flavor. At 11.5% abv, I'm glad that beerlovergirl helped me with this bottle, though it put her under the table (hehe).

4.63/5  rDev +12.1%

Full yellow. Champagne appearance, foam included.
White flowers in the smell, with camomile, sugar, a touch of hay. And some hint of berry-fruit (small strawberry). Breadcrust.
The taste is champagne-like (or maybe moscato-like), with fresh and balsamic notes (eucalyptus). Well balanced by a good hop bitterness, and with presence of spices (star anise and pepper).
Medium-high body, but it is absolutely no heavy, despite the alcohol.
A good bitterness in the aftertaste, not exceptional, but persistent. Well amalgamated with the moscato-like sweetness. Again the freshness of eucalyptus.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

2002. Served ice cold into a makeshift flute. Pours crystal clear pale straw color with a volcanous head that rises like champagne; yet more soft and pillowy, and leaves exquisite lacing. Honeysuckle blossoms and numerous other flowery, peppery, and dusty notes amongst a sweet malt background. Spring-like in its bouquet. Very lively carbonated, which is the key to its drinkability. It has a honeyed mouthfeel with prickly notes of carbonic acid. Dry, yet malty and sweet. Fruity, (apple, pear) with peppery alcohol notes. Some musty qualities about it, with hints of spelt-like huskiness. A delightful treat. Who says fizzy yellow beer is for wussies?

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

This beer has to be judged in context of its cost. The bottle set me back $35. I saved it for a special occaion (getting a job with my state's Attorney General's office). After a great dinner capped by Maudite on tap, I came home to this in my fridge. I opened it and foam came gushing out. After it settle to a drinkable level, I quaffed and wafted. The smell was much like a saison, the taste much like a earthy tripel. Nothing in particular jumped out at me. Maybe I was expecting too much, but this just didn't deliver.

4.13/5  rDev 0%

Pours a clear medium to dark amber, topped with a huge three finger tan head, leaves a sheet of lace covering the glass.
Fruit, grape, flowers notes in the vinuous aroma.
Spicy, robust taste, fruit, alcohol, flowers and grape.
Medium to full bodied, good drinkability but it's not going to draw many repeat buys at almost $35 a bottle.

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Reviewed from notes.

Enjoyed as a 2oz sample at the Belgian Beer Fest 2004. Truly an excellent beer. But worth $40 a pop? Maybe... Pours a very light, yellow-clear color. Excellent head retention. Carbonation was predominant. Smell is potent, sweet, and alcoholic. My fellow BA Charthepirate finds this beer exceptionally balanced; yet I find the biting alcoholic taste to be an overall detractor to the experience. Regardless, this beer puts forth an excellent display with cinnamon flavors prominent and a floral background. Aftertaste dissipates nearly immediately. Overall, delicious, but pricey.

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This one poured a light yellow in color with an orangish hue. The carbonation was just furious, as you would expect from the style.

The head was just incredible. It came up like champagne but then showed the retention of a strong Belgian beer. What an amazing combination. It was thicker than thick. I’m sure I could have stood a dime on top of it.

Smell – The malts here are Belgianesque and somewhat light, but it’s the spices that blow you away. They are just huge! The cardamon especially is off the charts. I keep some around the house to put in my Turkish coffee and kept comparing the two aromas just for s**** and giggles. There were some good, quality white pepper notes in there as well.

Taste – This was heavenly. The light malts came out in the taste, but again it was the amazing spices that carried the day. The cardamon was huge on the palate.

I thought I picked up some light Belgian hops along with a delicate touch of yeast. This really is a complex and tasty brew.

Mouthfeel – This Biére De Champagne had the best mouthfeel of any beer that I’ve had to date. It was extremely thick, almost full-bodied, with the most incredible carbonation imaginable. The fluffy, ultra-smooth mouthfeel made my evening.

Drinkability – This was a real treat. I found the many different flavors and big spicing reminiscent of some of the “farmier” Belgian styles. Overall, this is a great one to share with a friend or loved one. And, like a few other BAs have said, would make the ultimate accompaniment to a nice Thanksgiving dinner.

Comments – My “special occasion” for popping this cork was review #1,300. What a treat to find a new beer-style (new to me) after so many reviews. I’ve seen the bottle in the stores before but would have never thought of buying it was it not for the strong rating on BeerAdvocate. A great beer and a great site!

4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

We had guests over for dinner tonight and we cracked open one of the bottles. My recommendation is to have it BEFORE or AFTER dinner. Since the beer is so incredibly complex I would opt for BEFORE dinner before your palette becomes too bombarded with all the different tastes. This is THE most complex and sophisticated beer I've ever had (by far). Aside from price, I'd rate this one a 9.5 out of 10. We started with the Deus and then went to my personal favorites and it was amazing how much my "favorites" all of a sudden didn't rise to the occasion. This is an unbelievable beer that will surely impress anyone who appreciates fine brewing and has the palette for it. Don't waste it on "the average beer drinker"...they won't get it. Definitely chill it for several hours and shove it in the freezer about 15 minutes before you plan on opening it. The extra "boost" in cold temperature adds to the experience. The silky smooth finish on the tongue just screamed SNOBBY!!

It's fine Belgium brewing meets champagne - it's too bizarre to describe but the taste will be unforgettable. The experience was well worth the hefty price tag, but not one I could afford to drink week in and week out. I'm not convinced a high price tag automatically suggests it's a premium brew, in fact, several expensive beers I've tried I'm still trying to figure out what the "hoopla's" all about. Deus is an exception. You'll never find a beer anywhere else this unique in texture, smell, and taste.

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Corked and caged bottle, poured into champagne flutes as an aperitif and with the salad course on 3/19/05.

Perhaps I didn't let this one chill down enough, but when I popped the cork it was geyserville for a good two minutes. It finally calmed down and I was able to get a decent pour. Very active carbonation, translucent gold colour with a foamy 2 inch thinck head that calmed down to a quarter inch. Champagne meets Belgium in the aroma; vanilla, clove, merengue, yeast, green apple, candied orage, spice. It's worth noting that if you follow serving intructions as written on the bottle and serve this chilled to 2-4° C the flavor is very crisp, floral, and clean. A plethora of flavors will come out of nowhere as this warms up. Sweet malt, honey, apricot, citrus all make an appearance along with a subtle spiciness. The feel of this is refreshing thoughout with a very fine mousse/bubble structure/carbonation. Beautiful and highly drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Such an awesome beer, a real mix of styles, but what more can you expect from the Belgians?
I first read about DeuS in BYO magazine, and wished for it to come to Australia. Well, my wish was granted when my local great beer shop, the Oxford Tavern's owner Simon told me he had it in. Some mates and I had a bottle last night.
Poured into champagne flutes, the DeuS had a huge frothy head that dissipated to a tight 5mm foam, that clung to the glass, the beer working like mad. Strings of tiny bubbles rushing up to the head.
Aroma of sweet malt, that gorgeous yeast character that Belgians have, fruits, citrus notes (coriander?), and no hops.
Tasted great, and shitloads better than any champagne I've ever had. Very sweet, dry, malty and yeasty, clean and mouthfilling. The carbonation fills out your mouth like a bubbly, but not like a softdrink. Finishes sweet and clean, a lingering malty sweetness, and flavours of pear and apples.
A great beer, well worth the $45 paid, and a brew that could easily be drank inplace of champagne, any time, even with an abv of 11.5%.

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

Got this one for a birthday present, and like all expensive brews, I wanted to make sure I had a special occasion to drink it. Then again, according to the film Sideways, when you drink it, it is a special occasion. Anyway, had to have it in a champagne flute and I was well rewarded. It poured with a huge white, fluffy head and a light golden body with constant carbonation movement. Quite entertaining really. A lovely floral and clove-like nose precedes the indulgence. The mouthfeel is peppery and malty, but is not the essence of the beer. The lifeline, in my humble opinion, is the great marriage of the floral and sugary essences. Truly wonderful. There also is a splash of orange zest that thusly adds to the complexity. The finish perks up with an alcohol presence that is the foreground of a lemony/orange and malty background. Just a world class beer.

4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a champagne blonde color with tons of bubbles. In fact, the bubbles ended up over flowing my glass each pour.

The smell was very gentle. Hidden in there were some complicated herbs and spices and noticable wood and pepper notes.

The taste is opposite of what I was expecting. The appearance suggests a very sweet, champagne type drink. However, the flavor is very buttery and salty. Then it dries up to an alcohol and ginger finish. Very smooth.

The body on this beer is exceptional. It just overpowers your mouth with its size.

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

I've never had a beer quite like this.

Pours a pale yellow with lots of carbonation and a thick white head. Looks like champagne with the head of a beer. Smell is of fruit and herbs.

Taste was dry and spicy, and pretty much what I expect from a good Belgian ale. Mouthfeel is light and complex at the same time. Champagne carbonation is present but not overpowering.

Finishes dry with a light flowery hop character lingering on the tongue.

This beer was quite pricey, but well worth the money as it was a style that I really wanted to try. Very impressive!

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

What an interesting drink!

Shared with food and wine geek friends, 3 of which are chefs, this was a great experience and enjoyed by everyone who had a taste. Served with a fig chocolate bread pudding topped with ricotta and strawberries macerated in armangac this was quite the beer. For lack of appropriate glassware, white wine glasses were used. =-(

The nose was extremely herbal and resinous like rosemary and lavender but not as "green". The flavors were very mineral, dry with a lightly spicy finish. Not at all what I expected but pleasantly surprising!

The table consensus was pairing DeuS with wood roasted oysters, drizzled with olive oil and crispy pancetta crumbles would be an ideal match.

Not an everyday drink based on flavors and the price ($24) but a highly worthwhile experience.

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

Appearance: Pale golden in color, with a touch of haze. The snow-white head is absolutely massive and retains better that any beer I have ever tried. Though poured very gently into a champagne flute, the head still comprised eighty percent of the volume, with clumps of sticky foam coat the glass walls. When poured, profuse streams of carbonation rise to the surface, only gradually diminishing, so that it was very well carbonated throughout even a slow paced session.

Aroma: Quite spicy in character with very distinct pear notes, and lesser golden raisins. Despite the high alcoholic content (11.5% ABV), little alcohol was present in the aroma. There was a distinct, but mild floral hop note and beneath it all, some faint maltiness.

Taste: Begins with light and spicy with mild ripe pear and tropical fruit notes. Finished with a light and pleasant spicy note and a harsh phenol alcohol note.

Mouth feel: Smooth and pleasant, very full, and with slight effervescent carbonation, lacks the harshness of champagne.

Drinkability/notes: This is the part of the review that I feel most conflicted about. This beer, which was a gift from my lovely fiancée, was chosen for my 500th review and for the 250th review of my friend and fellow BeerAdvocate HardTarget. It was consumed on New Year's Day by my fiancée, HardTarget, his charming wife, and myself. I think that the ambiance of the day and the company of good friends added considerably to the enjoyment of this beer. In light of the price, about $25.00, it is much easier to justify Deus if it is shared with friends, rather than consumed alone. This is a beer that every BeerAdvocate should try once, though I suspect for most, it will be only once. For the purchase price, one could just as easily buy four bombers of really good Belgian beer. Still, it seems to conform well to the parameters of its rare style, so there can be no regrets.

Presentation: Packaged in a 750ml dark green glass champagne bottle with cork and a wire cage and foil closure. Served in champagne flutes, though I suspect that, due to the massive head volume, a Belgian goblet is a better choice.

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Golden champagne in appearance with heavy carbonation. Aroma is a blend of herbs, spice, and medicinal antiseptic. Flavor is similar, very dry not too tart yet malty in flavor. Not very much body to speak of. This is a very unique beer, not what I was expecting.

3.35/5  rDev -18.9%

Beautiful upside down wine glass shaped dark green bottle, caged, corked and plastic covered top. Given other reviewers notes, served very cold, about low 30s, and opened outside. Firm pop, but no dramatics on opening. This was a 2002 bottle sampled New Years Day 2005 with fellow BA Pegasus and is my 250th BA beer review. It was Pegasus’ 500th review for BA, and thus we went big on price. Oddly, the abv of 11.5% on the bottle was marked over with a black marker (which came off with some alcohol rubbing).
Aroma: For me, the aroma was the highlight of the experience. Has a candy apple soda smell, something like 7 up, with a good dose of sweet and minor floral notes.
Appearance: Bright lemon yellow, very clear in the glass and when very gently poured had 4 fingers of white (Don Ho voice) tiny bubbles (/Don Ho voice). As mentioned, served very cold and was extremely carbonated even after the 4 finger head settled down.
Flavor: Very much like champagne, or a very dry white wine. Some pear noted.
Mouthfeel: Very dry with a puckering astringency. It was like I could feel the alcohol evaporating on my tongue and wafting straight up to my brain. The alcohol was very present and warming.
Overall Impression: For me, this was; too expensive, too dry, too champagne like. I don’t like champagne, but this smells better than any champagne I’ve had. I’m going to be generous on my score for this section because the beer is definitely within style, it’s just a style I can see myself not liking.

DeuS (Brut Des Flandres) from Brouwerij Bosteels