Ruddles County - Greene King / Morland Brewery

Ruddles CountyRuddles County

Greene King / Morland Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Bitter |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-01-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ruddles County Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +12.5%

From a pull tab bottle, this beer poured a very clear orangey amber color with just a tint of ruby showing when held up to the light. Topped by a thin creamy head. I let this warm up a bit from the normal fridge temp to unlock some flavor. Interesting aroma. It shows some sweet graininess like pilsner, but floating right beside is a bouquet of mixed fresh fruits and even a hint of butter toffee and caramel.

The taste is sweet, buttery and fruity all at once. Medium light in body. An earthy hop bite finishes this one off and leaves a pleasant bitterness on the tongue. A very nice and flavorful English ale. Enjoyed it very much.

Greene King continues to satisfy the palate with down to earth outstanding ales.

pezoids, Feb 17, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +6.1%

This came in a cool half-pint clear glass bottle, with an old-fashioned metal pull tab. The aromas were a bit skunky (damn) but the nice biscuity maltiness shined through anyway. The taste was quite malty with some nice floral hops in the middle and a lovely finish as well. The mouthfeel is grainy, creamy, and smooth, and the drinkability is great as well. Probably unreal on cask...

francisweizen, Feb 09, 2004
3.43/5  rDev -8.5%

The beer pours an amber color with a thin white lace head. The aroma is good. It has all the English ale qualities. It's bitter and creamy with a mild aroma hopping. The taste is not bad. It is bitter and creamy with a malty flavor. It finishes watery; a product I think is from the clear bottle. The mouthfeel is above average. It is a medium bodied beer with below average carbonation. This is a good drinking English ale. It has some faults, but not enough to keep me away.

WesWes, Feb 01, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

glass bottle with the pull-off foil top. poured with a thick dense white head and a orangy-amber color. very fresh flowery hop aroma, definetly an english variety, slight fruity aroma with a touch of malt...but the hops are the definte contender here. smooth clean and refreshing with a hoppy aftertaste that leads to very dry finishvery nice creamy mouthfeel and an excellent session beer. the only way to improve this would be to knock back the hops a bit and this would be outstanding.

shippos, Dec 26, 2003
3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

Cool short stout clear bottle with a very short and wide mouth - really could be a milk bottle. Unusual pull off top, too. The label is plain, featuring just a big tree and the name. Ingredients conform to the purity law. I couldn't find any freshness data.

Pours a clear pale copper - a bit lighter than I remember proper bitters being. The head was thin and bubbly, and settled pretty quickly to just spotty film. Nice malty nose with a touch of flowery hops. The mouth is heavy and slightly carbonated. The taste is good, sweet barley malt followed by a very nice hoppy bite. The smooth bitterness lingers well into the aftertaste, just as it should. I quite like it!

Globetrotter, Nov 29, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +4%

Strange bottle, that looks like an old milk bottle.
The foam has some big bubble, it isn't thick. Dark copper reddish colour, with a lot of bubbles on the glass.
Smell of wood smoke, and ash, but fresh (?). Maybe some liquorice, and wood.
At the taste it is not too carbonated at all, in spite of the appearance. You can feel the ash again, but even the hop bitter, and smoke.
Liquorice and mou. Pleasant.
In the aftertaste, liquorice and wood again. And hop in the back. Medium body.

stcules, Nov 23, 2003
2.98/5  rDev -20.5%

When I poured this I could barely extract a head, weird for an english ale. Then I smelled it and it seemed very hoppy. The taste left me with a grimace. Maybe this beer was slightly too old, or the container was not correct being clear and all led to a bad beer. Anyways it tasted extremely hoppy but sour at the same time. Almost like a rotten tarty fruit. Pretty dry finish. My tastebuds got more used to it the more I drank but not good at all. The bottle was the riptop was pretty cool looking though.

granger10, Nov 21, 2003
3.58/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured a deep orange with a very nice creamy head from the nitro can,aroma was faint and lightly metallic with a light herbal/grassy tone.Taste is pretty dry with a light biscuit flavor with a definant grassy hop backbone a light metallic flavor I also noticed.A definant easy drinker here not to complex but pretty good and easy to drink.

oberon, Nov 19, 2003

Poured a clear orange hue with a finely bubbled, off white head thet drops and leaves behind a film that lasts the whole beer and plenty of stickage.
Scent is just beautiful, malty, grassy, sweet and bitter hops and earthy. Taste is strong malt then hoppy, slighty citric, bitter and herbal, very complex but smooth and well crafted. Mouthfeel is very smooth, medium bodied with just enough carbonation to produce a nice head and lightness in the mouth, holds and caresses the palate. Very drinkable, a seriously great bitter. If these weren't 3 bucks a pop, I could drink any number of them.

mydeadguy, Oct 29, 2003
3.85/5  rDev +2.7%

Opaque amber with a nitro head (a la Guinness).

Hops on the nose; mild lemony notes. How else can I say this? It smells like beer; like British beer.

Incredibly creamy for a bitter (besides the nitro cap), this is the fullest bitter I've encountered and actually does a good job of mimicking the hand pump. Slightly yeasty with some mild citric notes and a controlled yet firm hop bittering. Hop influence reminds me of Northern Brewer. The flavor opens up to green pears, a lot of rind, and always comes back to the perfect, perfect, perfect hop bittering. There's corn way in the background behind the fruits and hops and mild malt, deep in a crack in the corner of the brewery behind the mash tuns in some old brewer's lunchbox. Lightly phenolic finish.

My only complaint is the nitro canning. Though intended to mimic the hand pump (and I am indeed reminded of being in an English pub again), the nitrogen injection lends that thick plush white head that maintains a good quarter to half inch AND laces all the way down the glass (exactly like Guinness). The bitter's malt and hop profile and extraction temperatures are so well crafted that this is already quite a full-bodied beer -- lavishly so. Having to drink it through this stubborn brick of foam makes the beer pick up too much body (I never knew there was such a thing) to a point where it overpowers the brew and makes it tough to drink. (If the beer beneath Guinness' nitro head had this much body, it might be a respectable stout. )

Otherwise, this is an honest, authentic beer and as close to Suffolk as Urbana, Ill will ever get.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, Oct 29, 2003
3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

Don't know why I haven't tried this before, but it's a good representation of the style - reminds me of the bitters I had in London. Orangey color with a frothy white head. Aroma is hoppy and grassy, very clean. Flavor is sweet malt, with some hints of corn. Very smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Subtle malty finish. Very good all around.

far333, Oct 25, 2003
3.13/5  rDev -16.5%

The beer is a brassy gold, good clarity, topped with a thick, merengue-like white head. Good nitro lace, although the head really thins out as the pint goes down.
The aroma is typically deadened by the nitro. Light pale malt, with some mild diacetyl butterscotch and a bit of pear and juicyfruit esters. Faint touch of goldings hopping.
The flavor starts out with some light, sweet pale malt. A touch of toasted or crystal malt, with a moderate diacetyl butterscotch flavor coming through into the middle. Great estery flavor, with a sweet, fruity pear and some white grape that lingers into the finish. Diacetyl continues into the finish, with a lightly herbal goldings hoppiness providing a balancing bitterness. A fruity, slightly malty aftertaste with a bit of nitro tinniness.
A pretty good english ale, much better casked or in the bottle. I wish I could find this on regular tap, because the nitro, while smooth, kills so much of the flavor, and the beer is very delicate to begin with.

UnionMade, Oct 20, 2003
4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

Came in a 500 ml green can, freshness date on bottom (only 2 weeks past it). Pours out a very appealing clear amberish orange, thick creamy off-white head capping it off. Leaves some massive walls of lace in its wake. Aroma is of sweet malt, toffee, a bit nutty (if not entirely crazy!), even the scent of raisins is in there, rounded off by very floral hops. Big hop flavour all the way around, it crowds out everything else, surprising for such a mild and complex nose. A bit of raisin on the aftertaste. Smooth creamy mouthfeel, this is a real British pale ale that packs a whallop while going down easy all the same. Definitely worth going back for more.

IronDjinn, Sep 18, 2003
3.38/5  rDev -9.9%

This brew poured a medium foamy head of fine off-white bubbles and a carbonated slightly dark amber colored body. It has a malt-hop-floral aroma with a slightly chewy hop-bread flavor that starts out smooth and ends with a lingering slight bitter aftertaste. It leave a most excellent clinging vine lacing on the side of the mug when you tip it that never disappeared and covered the entire side of the mug. One of the best lacings I have seen in a brew

TheDM, Jul 23, 2003
2.88/5  rDev -23.2%

Can. This brew poured an off-white long-lasting creamy head with fine-small sized bubbles. The lacing was excellent, but it did not last long. It had a spicy nose in my opinion. There was no carbonation present. The hue was orangish. This brew was definitely bitter tasting and it also had a lingering aftertaste to it.

hotstuff, Jul 16, 2003
3.85/5  rDev +2.7%

Another sample from the Ale Mary's line up (see:beerfly). Poured a deep copper/orange with a fair bit of fog and a fluffy, thick white head.The smell was average at best and not too much interesting poking out. The taste was good though with sweet citrus hops balanced with a scotchy malts flavor for an interesting blend not too often found in a bitter. It warmed me up on an all too cold spring evening and did not overwhelm me in the bitterness. Quality brew.

GreatPondBrewer, May 28, 2003
3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

This beer is pretty damn opaque, with is color being a dark orange-amber-brown. If I knew my horticulture better I could tell you what kind of obscure wood it looked like. Had a soft cream head, little lace, and good spots and tendrils of stain.

Nose was nutty, creamy, with a nascent malt, and a light smell of what bark smells like when its falling of from cut wood. Taste was of a great bitter over a smooth malt - good balance. The bitter was strong but very smooth; seemed like the hops were maybe even roasted. Also had subdued woodiness in the body, some pine flavors, and a citrus ting at the end.

Moderately dry and with a moderately long finish, this combined with a thin watery mouthfeel to help create great drinkability., To me, a mushroom and fruit burp. I like this beer, its great to have at a real pub. I really really wish Americans were into bitters like the Brits so beers like these could be more available on tap.

nomad, May 23, 2003
4.53/5  rDev +20.8%

Well I must be somewhat obsessed with this beer, since this is the third time I have reviewed it, but I find it to be one of the more intriguing, complex and confounding beers around, with one tasting producing wildly different results from the next. But the main reason for this new review is that I was lucky enough to stumble upon a cask of this amazing beer at d.b.a. in NYC. Of all the beers I have been wishing to try on cask, this is certainly at the top of the list. Pure luck that I happened to walk into d.b.a. on the day that it was tapped. I was not disappointed but I wasn't blown away either. Cask beers score higher in the mouthfeel and drinkability department, but sometimes the live yeast can obscure the trademark flavor of a more individual beer. Knowing this beer as well as I do, I found myself unable to be sure I was drinking Ruddles going solely by the taste. It lacked character -- but certainly not quality. I drained the first pint in a matter of seconds and was back at the bar ordering a second.

Anyway, I have it in my head that this is such a fantastic beer that I am always a little let down when I taste it (maybe I am holding on too tightly to my first, wonderful memory of Ruddles). As it's available now in this country, it certainly leaves something to be desired. Those clear wide-mouth milk bottles don't do the beer any favors. And the nitro cans are a joke. An imported cask didn't rock my world either. I guess someday I will have to journey to the brewery and try it at the source. Or maybe the rumors are true and this beer has already changed and the beer I am dreaming about no longer exists.

Thrasher, May 16, 2003
3.58/5  rDev -4.5%

Premium Ale? Cloudy copper at first under a frothy cascading head. When the head settles on top the copper color clears and intensifies. Not much aroma (mild tea, sweet malt damp cellar). Amply malted and more than amply hopped with tea-like and light citrus bitterness. Some back-of-the-throat harshness (I like it!). Smooth mouthfeel. Drinkable!

BeerResearcher, Apr 19, 2003
2.73/5  rDev -27.2%

Lighty hazy burnt orange beneath a nitro-enhanced creamed head.
Metallic gym socks on the nose. Turning more towards metal as it sits. Too often nitro hides the aroma. Oh how I wish that was the case here.
A ghost of butter-caramel begins things, then is quickly vanquished by a flour dryness. Stays powdery and flour-like for a moment just before the greasy, grassy hops enter. Dashes of wood and nuts are intermingled without any cohesion. Tea-like herbal finish.
Nitro hides the thinness, but fail to help anything
Nothing special, perhaps I'd try this again in the bottle or on draught, but never more in the nitro can.

cokes, Apr 05, 2003
3.53/5  rDev -5.9%

Color was a dark amber brown, very thick white head about a finger high. Smells very dry right from the start with a strange musty old cloth aroma, some floral hops, sweet citrus and bitterness. Taste was very dried out and a little empty, lots of floral hopiness, and citrusy bitterness. Clean and smooth, but lacking. I know its suppose to be a bitter style, that it was, but the overall dryness in the taste and feel was a little much for me. It took a while to get use to, but once I was used to it, I liked it. Not bad, just a tad overbearing on the dryness.

tavernjef, Mar 23, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +4%

Clear dark amber pour, nitro pancake head, nice and thick, white color. Typical cascade build common to widget beers.
Nose was sharply metallic, a bit of sweet fruit, butterscotch and a dry bitterness. Somewhat muted nose, not overly anything really.

Taste was pretty full, quite smooth with flavors or sweet grains, toasted malt, banana, and a touch of skunkiness, which was odd because it was a canned version. I have had the bottled version and it too had a touch of skunk to it but I chalked that up to being a light struck bottle. Like the bottled version, a real dry and snappy hop bitterness comes through with this beer. Unlike a lot of other bitters I have tried, this one really has a nicely crisp hop character, that most of the others did not.

Similar in flavor to the bottled version but overall a more rounded and smoother flavor. Of the two packages I have tried, I would opt for the nitro can everytime.

bmills1608, Mar 11, 2003
3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

I sampled this Ruddles County on cask at the Coat of Arms British pub in Portsmouth, NH.

This ale poured a slightly hazy, copper color with creamy white foam characteristic of a cask pull. The foam left some lace down the glass. The smell was very modest (mild hops and some malt). The taste was not strong: malt and hops with a slight caramel sweetness and a lingering hop bitterness. The mouthfeel was smooth and clean with medium body and low carbonation. The drinkability was good. A rather straightforward English bitter.

UncleJimbo, Mar 09, 2003
3.75/5  rDev 0%

Presentation: 500ml can. Quaint green can with what I believe is an oak tree on label. This had a best before date of March 2003 – As this is March 2 – I had best drink up

Pours medium copper with slight haze & a rich, creamy head - a beautiful pint! A perfect half-centimeter head remains through to the bottom of the glass…begging you to pour another, so that it may have another pint to ride down the glass.The aroma is predominantly floral / grassy - quite inviting.

Taste: Initial dry hop snap, with plenty of citrus overtones. Hop bitterness lingers on your tongue right up until the next sip. This is what I imagine “down home, local ale” tastes like, if I lived in the English countryside, and not the Canadian prairie. Mouthfeel begins very creamy, with just the right amount of carbonation, quickly followed with a dry hop finish…a tad puckering, even – but delightful

Notes: I’ve always enjoyed the 500ml can, as it perfectly fills a pint glass, with just enough room for the proper head. This definitely is a pleasant ‘down at the pub’ ale. It has a real Old Timey thing going on. It’s unrefined, honest, and meant for a session…. I think I’ll pour me another right now.

lipschitz, Mar 03, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +8.8%

Nice looking brew pours out to a medium-amber color with a thick, pancaky off-white head atop microscopic bubbles, leaving good clumps of lace. Carbonation is very mild. Aroma is unique with tons of butterscotch, toffee, burnt caramel, marshmallows, and nothing else. Probably the strongest diacetyl I've smelled in a beer. Taste is pleasantly mild with a bright, fresh, and well-balanced malt body and hop zing, fading into a tolerable metallic off-note, and ending in a smooth, very dry, and supremely mild "round" English-hop bitterness with more butterscotch and bready, toasty malts. The aroma was a little off-putting at first, but the taste more than makes up for it. A well-done British mild.

Mitchster, Feb 25, 2003