Wexford Irish Cream Ale - Greene King / Morland Brewery

Greene King / Morland Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Cream Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 01-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wexford Irish Cream Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 581 | Reviews: 347
1.24/5  rDev -63%

Had it superwarm out of a can. Crappy creamy shaving foam head, i'm sick of these nitro beer appearances. smooth and creamy, cat-pissy mouthfeel. Really bland and sweet aswell. Typical nitro crap. Bland, but perhaps it didn't help that it was a little warm, still, its obviously crap.

1.35/5  rDev -59.7%

This beer pours a foamy, caramel color with a billowing, rolling head. It's aroma is of pineapple with a hint of milk. The flavor has notes of butterscotch and thick, heavy cream with an acidic, slightly sour finish. The mouthfeel it thick and creamy like whipped cream. Wexford Irish Cream Ale isn't a real good beer, not recommended.

1.8/5  rDev -46.3%

Had this one over at Christopher's in Porter Sq. and have to admit it ruined my meal.

A- The pour initially cascades and leaves a a nice creamy head kind of reminiscent of Boddingtons. The body of the beer is a dark amber. The head stayed around till the end.

S- Nothing too special or inviting. Kind of metallic.

T- Overwhelmingly bitter. From the initial taste to a lingering finish. The bitterness wasn't the good kind. Reminded me of milk a month past expiration.

M- Thin.

D- One of the worst pints I've had in a long while. I wasn't able to finish the glass and I wouldn't drink this again.

man what a let down

Can with nitro ball in side pured in a clear pint glass
Pours as a complete beauty with the classic cream ale head building from the bottom of the glass. The Head is thick and holds up strong after the pour with a white cream color to it. It is the type of head that sticks to your nose.

Smell was off for me but I couldnt place it at first. The smell kinda made me feel sick to my stomach at first.

First taste almost got spit back up in the glass. The taste is not hopy. You can taste the malt a litte but it tastes stale to me. The can claims to be smooth and I think it is smooth just not a good tasting smooth.

I gave it a higher mouthfeel since it is smooth and not to carbinated (for reasons mentioned above).

I couldnt finish it...That should say enough..

I really wanted to like this beer and I really was excited about it when I bought it...

2.08/5  rDev -37.9%

A- Good looking pour. Standard "waterfall" appearance. Ends up with a creamy looking head. The medium amber reveals a bunch of carbonation clinging desperately to the glass.

S- Leathery with a little cream.

T- Ale taste but nothing lasting or stand out. Tastes a little metallic, (can)?

M- way too thin. I almost wish I could just drink the head. Nice creamines but distacted by the actuall beer.

D- Drink by necessity only. The widget sounds like a jet engine when you open the can, Pour is the only nice part of the whole thing.

2.14/5  rDev -36.1%

On tap at my local Old Chicago. The beer pours a solid amber color with little haze and a creamy looking head. Very inviting. Unfortunately, I couldn't really get into this beer. The smell wasn't bad but it was hard to pinpoint. Slightly bitter and creamy with some faint fruit and alcohol on the nose. The taste wasn't appealing to me at all. No real presence of hops, slight malts, and lots of deep grape and alcohol flavors, very similar to that of "church wine". It left a sour and bitter taste on the tongue that wasn't very welcomed. The mouth was creamy and smooth while remaining overall pretty thin.

I couldn't really get into this. Bottom line: tasted a little to much like church wine for me. Almost doesn't even taste like a beer by the end of it.

2.32/5  rDev -30.7%

A - Pours a light amber with massively cascading off-white head into my Bear Republic pint glass. The head looks like thick cream.

S - I'm struggling here. Think butter.

T - Water. No, that's mean. Water mixed with creamy bad beer.

Screw it, this beer tastes like ass.

M - Creamy, light carbonation.

D - Horrible, mostly because it tastes so bad.

Somebody please come over and drink these last two cans.

2.34/5  rDev -30.1%

Opened with an ominous fizz, poured into a pint glass.

The color is light caramel and much fizzing during the aggressive pour to a creamy thin carbonation. It coats the inside of the glass with a thin film of bubbles. Smells a little metallic, though mostly like spent malts mixed with milk that's gone slightly sour. Thick lacing has me crossing my fingers for something yummy.

That carbonation dies fast on the tongue though, and is gentle at best. It tastes like malt up front, hints of that toasted. If you try hard, you can find a thin bitterness at the end. Between the two, it tastes mostly like water with hints of milk gone sour. No longstanding aftertaste. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, however the lack of carbonation and body makes it too light for me to think I'm drinking beer. All of that in a package makes the overall drinkability nothing special (less than your run of the mill session). It might be easy to chug, but I wouldn't go for it.

I had tried a few cream ales before this and this isn't making the top of my charts. Sorry, Wexford!

2.37/5  rDev -29.3%

A - Pours a very nice tawn color with a very good looking white cream head. Similar to other nitro-can beers in proportion of head to body. There is a nice settling action in the tan body as it settles.

S - At first I though this beer had a very nice sweet smell. Smells sort of like milk and sugar. As the beer warmed up the smell started to get a little but putrid, like rotting eggs.

T - The taste is pretty mellow and creamy. Notes of banana and raisins dominate with a pleasantly nutty finish.

M - Very silky smooth creamy mouth feel. The body is surprisingly lighter than I had anticipated but is nice.

D - Pretty good I guess. Really nothing special here. If you like cream stouts and dry stouts like I do then don't expect much from this beer. I could have drank a second, but normally I would reach for something else.

2.41/5  rDev -28.1%

It's an interesting beer. Not my favorite, but different.

2.42/5  rDev -27.8%

Widget can from Albertson’s.

The aroma has abundant sweet fruit notes and malt and honey. No detectable hop aroma.

The body os the beer is orange/amber and it is quite clear. The head is a thumb thick, creamy and lasting. Looks like all widget can beers...like Boddington’s, Tetley’s et al.

Fore feels creamy, but the flavor is watery....light fruits-apple mostly though there is some white grape-with a bit of cereal grains. Finish is stale and unpleasant. Not anything I’d choose to drink again.

2.42/5  rDev -27.8%

This nitro beer poured wonderfully. It had a beuatiful cascade and a nice colour to it. The head was very ample but the smell was sickly sweet and not very good. Perhaps this is a stale can???I do not know because there was no date code listed. This tasted tooooo sweet. I could barely taste any hops...all I tasted was sweet cream and nastiness. One of the worst beers that I have sampled recently. I'm pretty sure I got a bad can, cuz I have heard good things about this beer. The mouthfeel was good, but the drinkability hass to be chopped down due to the smell and the taste of this beer.
Not my favorite!
Cheers!,
F.

2.44/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: All of the carbonation must have been used up when I opened the can as, within just a few minutes, the beer was pouring like apple juice

Smell: Buttery nose with a hint of caramel and bread

Taste: Fairly simple flavor profile, with grainy bread, a bit of butterscotch and a mineral character that dominates

Mouthfeel: Medium body but very flabby

Overall: I am afraid this one was a disappointment all around

2.44/5  rDev -27.2%

This is just not a good beer. I can't place the taste that it reminds me of just kinda sweet watered down and just no.

2.48/5  rDev -26%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a nitro-can into a conic pint glass in high elevation Libby, Mont.

A- Two-finger white creamy head with long retention. Amber colored body with fairly high clarity.

S- Grassy and medium character malts.

T- Caramel malts, bitter. Not much more to say about it other than it is creamy.

M- Creamy and smooth.

O- Not a good beer. I'm not a fan of it. But then again, it might be nice as a cold pint at a pub.

2.49/5  rDev -25.7%

Nitro-Can pours a amber colour beer w/ a rich 2 finger head. The head lingers throughout the whole drink as expected by a nitro can

Smell: A buttery malt, that's all that i get

Taste: Not a lot there, some light caramel creamy finish

Mouthfeel: Thick and smooth

Derinkability: Easy to drink but not a whole lot there

2.52/5  rDev -24.8%

Reviewed 6/26/2008 (Nitro-Can):

Pours an amber reddish color body. Big foamy creamy head, white. A sweet aroma, almost fruity. Similar to a Guinness aroma but without the coffee notes. Watery taste, bitter aftertaste, but not grapefruity. Creamy mouthfeel. Kinda bland.

2.54/5  rDev -24.2%

2001 a beer odyssey. Another nitro can. This stuff was left in my house by a family member and I quickly realized that I had never reviewed it. Poured into a Guinness imperial pint glass.

Beer is amber and clear with an exterior cascading head of nitrogen bubbles that forms a soft head of tiny bubble, with ultimately moderate to low aeration and minimal lacing on the glass. Looks fine.

Aroma is sweet and grainy, kind of harsh, off putting.

Body is creamy and full, oddly bitter, grainy and harsh, some sweetness on the front, overall weak and nasty. People drink this beer? I don't like it at all.

2.55/5  rDev -23.9%

reminded me on genes see. not cool

2.58/5  rDev -23%

A- Pours a bronze color w/ a one finger off white head. No noticeable carbonation, but amazing lacing. Nothing else really going on here.

S- Grain, malt, some hops. Somewhat bitter smell. Not very complex nose on this beer.

T- Fairly bitter, w/ hops and malt. Not impressed.

M- For a creme ale, this beer isn't creamy. It's thin, and and very one dimensional. It coats your throat w/ bitter grain, which lingers forever.

O- Can't recommend this beer. It just doesn't seem to do much well.

2.58/5  rDev -23%

nitro-can, served chilled, in a pint glass.

A - almost clear, amber color with a creamy tan head that thinned down, leaving no lace.

S - buttery/malt smell

T - thin malt flavor

M - light bodied, watery feel

D - I ending up dumping the last 3 or 4 ozs of this brew, as I grew tired of the taste.

2.59/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Medium brown color with a nitro-head.
The aroma of caramel and some light hop hints.

The taste starts off creamy with a mild bitterness and some caramel sweetness and a hint of malt. Smoke screens because it really fades fast. The feel of the body thins out and leaves you with a horrible balance. Medium carbonation and really hard to finish.

Notes: Watery finish,not really creamy at all and it just seemed to be a bad idea from the start. Not a good beer.

2.59/5  rDev -22.7%

Good God. This is the worst beer I have had in ages. And I'm thankful I haven't had anything nearly as bad that I can recall in recent memory. The beer looks awesome, but it tastes like a malty mess with minimal bitter tones and hardly enough hop influence. It's just...bleh. Nasty. This one is going down the drain.

2.62/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours pale orange amber with hazed clarity. Holds a one finger head well after the nitro ceases. Sticky patches of lace. Nitro aroma masks a typical macro aroma. Sour nitro tastes dominates, but cereal adjunct and butterscotch in the background. Extra-dry aftertaste with a hint of vannila cream flavor. Nearly flat carbonation and medium body allow a solid diacetyl mouthfeel, which is done well if you like it that way. A little light on the hops even for an irish cream ale, but aside from the slick finish it is mild and drinkable.

2.63/5  rDev -21.5%

The color was dark gold with a creamy white head. The aroma was on the mild side. The taste was mellow and a little citrusy. The Irish malt was not too prominent. Overall it was a smooth beer with not much carbonation and it was not very bitter or sweet. The finish was slightly dry. I didn't find much to recommend it except it probably wouldn't be too bad with a heavy meal.

Wexford Irish Cream Ale from Greene King / Morland Brewery