Wexford Irish Cream Ale - Greene King / Morland Brewery

Wexford Irish Cream AleWexford Irish Cream Ale

Greene King / Morland Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Cream Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 01-24-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wexford Irish Cream Ale Alström Bros

1.2/5  rDev -64.2%

Had it superwarm out of a can. Crappy creamy shaving foam head, i'm sick of these nitro beer appearances. smooth and creamy, cat-pissy mouthfeel. Really bland and sweet aswell. Typical nitro crap. Bland, but perhaps it didn't help that it was a little warm, still, its obviously crap.

1.3/5  rDev -61.2%

This beer pours a foamy, caramel color with a billowing, rolling head. It's aroma is of pineapple with a hint of milk. The flavor has notes of butterscotch and thick, heavy cream with an acidic, slightly sour finish. The mouthfeel it thick and creamy like whipped cream. Wexford Irish Cream Ale isn't a real good beer, not recommended.

1.5/5  rDev -55.2%

1.5/5  rDev -55.2%

1.7/5  rDev -49.3%

Had this one over at Christopher's in Porter Sq. and have to admit it ruined my meal.

A- The pour initially cascades and leaves a a nice creamy head kind of reminiscent of Boddingtons. The body of the beer is a dark amber. The head stayed around till the end.

S- Nothing too special or inviting. Kind of metallic.

T- Overwhelmingly bitter. From the initial taste to a lingering finish. The bitterness wasn't the good kind. Reminded me of milk a month past expiration.

M- Thin.

D- One of the worst pints I've had in a long while. I wasn't able to finish the glass and I wouldn't drink this again.

1.75/5  rDev -47.8%

1.98/5  rDev -40.9%

man what a let down

Can with nitro ball in side pured in a clear pint glass
Pours as a complete beauty with the classic cream ale head building from the bottom of the glass. The Head is thick and holds up strong after the pour with a white cream color to it. It is the type of head that sticks to your nose.

Smell was off for me but I couldnt place it at first. The smell kinda made me feel sick to my stomach at first.

First taste almost got spit back up in the glass. The taste is not hopy. You can taste the malt a litte but it tastes stale to me. The can claims to be smooth and I think it is smooth just not a good tasting smooth.

I gave it a higher mouthfeel since it is smooth and not to carbinated (for reasons mentioned above).

I couldnt finish it...That should say enough..

I really wanted to like this beer and I really was excited about it when I bought it...

2.05/5  rDev -38.8%

A- Good looking pour. Standard "waterfall" appearance. Ends up with a creamy looking head. The medium amber reveals a bunch of carbonation clinging desperately to the glass.

S- Leathery with a little cream.

T- Ale taste but nothing lasting or stand out. Tastes a little metallic, (can)?

M- way too thin. I almost wish I could just drink the head. Nice creamines but distacted by the actuall beer.

D- Drink by necessity only. The widget sounds like a jet engine when you open the can, Pour is the only nice part of the whole thing.

2.08/5  rDev -37.9%

On tap at my local Old Chicago. The beer pours a solid amber color with little haze and a creamy looking head. Very inviting. Unfortunately, I couldn't really get into this beer. The smell wasn't bad but it was hard to pinpoint. Slightly bitter and creamy with some faint fruit and alcohol on the nose. The taste wasn't appealing to me at all. No real presence of hops, slight malts, and lots of deep grape and alcohol flavors, very similar to that of "church wine". It left a sour and bitter taste on the tongue that wasn't very welcomed. The mouth was creamy and smooth while remaining overall pretty thin.

I couldn't really get into this. Bottom line: tasted a little to much like church wine for me. Almost doesn't even taste like a beer by the end of it.

2.3/5  rDev -31.3%

Opened with an ominous fizz, poured into a pint glass.

The color is light caramel and much fizzing during the aggressive pour to a creamy thin carbonation. It coats the inside of the glass with a thin film of bubbles. Smells a little metallic, though mostly like spent malts mixed with milk that's gone slightly sour. Thick lacing has me crossing my fingers for something yummy.

That carbonation dies fast on the tongue though, and is gentle at best. It tastes like malt up front, hints of that toasted. If you try hard, you can find a thin bitterness at the end. Between the two, it tastes mostly like water with hints of milk gone sour. No longstanding aftertaste. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, however the lack of carbonation and body makes it too light for me to think I'm drinking beer. All of that in a package makes the overall drinkability nothing special (less than your run of the mill session). It might be easy to chug, but I wouldn't go for it.

I had tried a few cream ales before this and this isn't making the top of my charts. Sorry, Wexford!

2.33/5  rDev -30.4%

A - Pours a light amber with massively cascading off-white head into my Bear Republic pint glass. The head looks like thick cream.

S - I'm struggling here. Think butter.

T - Water. No, that's mean. Water mixed with creamy bad beer.

Screw it, this beer tastes like ass.

M - Creamy, light carbonation.

D - Horrible, mostly because it tastes so bad.

Somebody please come over and drink these last two cans.

2.35/5  rDev -29.9%

A - Pours a very nice tawn color with a very good looking white cream head. Similar to other nitro-can beers in proportion of head to body. There is a nice settling action in the tan body as it settles.

S - At first I though this beer had a very nice sweet smell. Smells sort of like milk and sugar. As the beer warmed up the smell started to get a little but putrid, like rotting eggs.

T - The taste is pretty mellow and creamy. Notes of banana and raisins dominate with a pleasantly nutty finish.

M - Very silky smooth creamy mouth feel. The body is surprisingly lighter than I had anticipated but is nice.

D - Pretty good I guess. Really nothing special here. If you like cream stouts and dry stouts like I do then don't expect much from this beer. I could have drank a second, but normally I would reach for something else.

Wexford Irish Cream Ale from Greene King / Morland Brewery