1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wexford Irish Cream Ale - Greene King / Morland Brewery

Wexford Irish Cream AleWexford Irish Cream Ale

Greene King / Morland Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Cream Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 01-24-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Wexford Irish Cream Ale Alström Bros
3.28/5  rDev -2.1%

A decent cream ale, for what it's worth, though I'm still not a big fan of nitro dispense. Sure, it's beautiful to watch, makes a cool noise when you open the can, has a nice big creamy mouthfeel, but it lacks carbonation, and nitro tends to put off an almost sour flavor that doesn't seem to go well with the lack of carbonation. Anyways... I only picked this up because I wanted to do some more layered beer experimentation, and because I hadn't yet tried it.

The beer pours to a nice clear golden color with a perfect collar of creamy white head. As I mentioned before, I really love to watch the nitro as it settles up. The head leaves some of the best lacing I've ever seen, totally even coated and consistent the whole way around, except for where I've tipped the glass to drink from.

The smell is creamy and sweet. Plenty of caramel malt, in addition to the odd nitro gas aroma, which is perceived as a bit sour. Seems a bit more spicy than Boddingtons, and possibly even a tad bit hoppier, though the hops are definitely not at the forefront of either beer.

The taste is where things start to get a bit odd. Sweet with caramel and toffee up front with a bit of a hard candy flavor. This is followed by a light sourness with a spicy finish. Almost tastes like it has a hint of DMS in the finish as well... either that or some adjunct such as corn. Just a touch of a hops bitterness lingers in the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy from the nitro, which is good, but at the same time it is flat as hell. A hint of carbonation would stimulate the palate a bit and set this beer off, but as it is, the flatness moreso highlights what I don't like about this beer. I'm sure it will work well in a half & half with something more bold, like a Bigfoot perhaps, but on its own I am not a big fan. Marginally better than Boddingtons.

2.73/5  rDev -18.5%

Irish cream Ale brewed in the UK.

A- A transparent orange with red hues. Very refreshing after most Irish ales are very dark or black.

S- Very mellow and mild. Faint hints of cream.

T- Mellow and mild throughout. A slight finish of bitterness, like Guinness or Boddington's.

M- Full and creamy

D- It's decent. Not my favorite Irish Ale, but i wouldn't turn a free pint of her away.

All-in-all not bad beer by any means. I just wish it was creamier, like a Pete's Wanderlust or maybe like a smooth taste of Irish cream. Ale drinkers might like this, but then again I guess that's what you can expect when the UK brews an Irish traditional Ale. Ouch!

3.4/5  rDev +1.5%

I got this beer on tap, but it almost seemed more like a cask ale. It was fairly flat and a bit warmer than normal. That being said, it pours a light amber color with reddish hues in it. The aroma has strong biscuity smells, as well as a good malty background. There are no detectable hops in either the aroma or the taste. What the taste does have is more of the what the aroma offers...sweet malty flavors. This beer is actually surprisingly sweet. As I said before, the beer had very light body and a flat taste, but I'm not sure if that was a result of how it was served or not. I would rate the drinkability as average, mostly due to not knowing the mouthfeel better.

4.5/5  rDev +34.3%

This beer came to me with a nice nitro-fed stay-put head. It was a tarnished brassy color. The smell was a beautiful mix of sweet musty gran, herbal hop, a barely dectable yeastiness. The taste is a swirl of sturdy honey, herbal hop, and malt swetness. There were definatly some other subtleties there but I was a little to destracted to pick them out. Simple but damn delicious. Mouthfeel was of course dreamy and creamy. Was delicious with Irish Root soup.

3.88/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours light copper with a with a 1" deep tight sand colored head.

S: Sweet malt & some grassy/herbal hop scents as it warms. better than average lacing & some head retention

T: Hoppyness (piney& some citric) with a little malt sweetness. Dryness & a slight caramel taste follows. Finishes fruitty, slightlty grainy& dry with some decent hop bite

MF: Creamy & pretty good carbonation with good balance with a light, almost medium body

Pretty poundable, but I believe I'd want to move on after a couple, just doesn't hold your attention

4.1/5  rDev +22.4%

Appearance: A crystal clear orange-amber beer with an extra creamy head that sticks around the whole time and nice cling.

Smell: Corn malts and grain with a hint of vanilla and some hop.

Taste: Much like it smells and well balanced with a nice earthy hop taste. Taste a little more bitter when cold, but balances out well as it warms slightly and everything can be tasted.

Mouthfeel: Creamy smooth just like it would be out of a tap.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. I could session this style any day and this one is particularly tasty.

3.43/5  rDev +2.4%

A= densely muddy when poured, with a huge dense creamy head.

S= instant thoughts of whiskey-bourbon.

T= again, the Irish whiskey undertones, although less so than in the scent. Creamy but not quite like a Boddington's nitro, and very unsimilar in tastee to a Boddington. More grassy-tasting. Malty with only mild hops undertones.

M= grassy watery aftertaste and feel.

D= interesting for a few, but not my choice for regular or long-night drinking.

3.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Cream ale is right! The head looks like dessert and it's not going away anytime soon. Not much to smell, a bit like cream soda. Rich and deep with a bitter, dry breakfast tea finish. If you are already a fan of Boddington's then this ale is right in that ballpark. I could drink this stuff all day every day.

2.4/5  rDev -28.4%

Widget can from Albertson’s.

The aroma has abundant sweet fruit notes and malt and honey. No detectable hop aroma.

The body os the beer is orange/amber and it is quite clear. The head is a thumb thick, creamy and lasting. Looks like all widget can beers...like Boddington’s, Tetley’s et al.

Fore feels creamy, but the flavor is watery....light fruits-apple mostly though there is some white grape-with a bit of cereal grains. Finish is stale and unpleasant. Not anything I’d choose to drink again.

4.03/5  rDev +20.3%

This ale pours a nice bronze amber, with nice mocha-colored dense creamy head. It has a light hoppy aroma, and it goes down smooth with an obvious creamy quality and good balance of sweet and sharp flavors. I didn't note much or any bitterness, though that may just be my palate. Definitely one to share and enjoy with friends.

4.47/5  rDev +33.4%

Clean slightly sweet aroma. Copper in color with a consistent white head. Flavor is slightly sweet and tart, with a balanced bitterness, and a noble hop flavor. Creamy nitrous infused brew that goes down smooth anytime. A great session brew ! I'd drink a lot more of this beer if it wasn't around $ 3.00 a can at my local. I LOVE IT!!!

3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a clear clean straw with a fluffy, nitro induced head. Aroma is faint, some grassy hops are present. Taste is good, it's clean. Slight tart taste in as well, and grassy hops again. Mouthfeel is appropriate, on the thin side. It's a passable session beer, but not world class.

3.25/5  rDev -3%

Had this beer on-tap at Connely's in Times Square. The beer pours a fairly clear orange/amber color, with a creamy white head that lasted for the entire beer (thanks to the nitro). Smell was faint, of fruit and malt.

This is by no means a bad beer. It is creamy smooth, has a very caramel and dark fruit taste to it. There's a slight bitterness to the backend of the beer. Unfortunately the flavor isn't all too complex, and not all that exciting. It's certainly a solid beer, and by no means offensive. Mouthfeel is creamy but a bit thin, and it finishes smooth. This is a drinkable beer and worth a try. It's just not overly interesting.

2.78/5  rDev -17%

When I first started drinking good beer this is one of the first I bought. I didn't like it then. I must admit it doesn't thrill me now either. I used to really like nitro can beers. While my opinion has changed I still thin they pour a pretty looking glass of beer. This is no exception.Head is like whipped cream that stands an inch tall. Body is hazy honey and caramel. Nose is the achilles heel. At first I can smell only caramel but eventually I also get honey sweetness and a wisp of hops. I wish there was more going on taste wise, but as of now I only get some caramel, hops and a bit of sugar. There's a weird sourness in the aftertaste that I dislike quite a bit. Did I say the nose was the achilles heel? Make that the taste, and mouth too. Mouth is sometimes thick and sometimes thin and watery. I don't have plans to try this again any time soon.

3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a deep copper with a dense thick white head that is indictive of a nitro-can type serving canister.
the aroma is malty with a hint of hopsack.
the flavor was malty, had a good hop flavor (reminded me of satryian goldings), lighter then what i would expect (compaired to old speckled hen) pleasent after taste.
good beer but i like old speckled hen a little more, but still very good beer.

3.3/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Typical of nitro cans, the beer looks awesome. Creamiest head imaginable, copious amounts of lacing and a gorgeous cascade on the initial pour.

S - Caramel malt, a hint of smoke and dark red fruits. Pleasant.

T - A bit of elderberries, faint smokey caramel malt. The tiniest twinge of bitterness in the aftertaste. Too mild - very British.

M - Very smooth, creamy, medium viscosity and pretty refreshing.

D - Outstanding. Easy to drink. Flavor is simple, but this is an enjoyable beer. Sessionable and a natural for food. Tastes like most other English-esque ales though. I might have it again, but damned if I'm buying it.

3.85/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have to admit, I'm a sucker for nitro cans. I'm also a sucker for a sexy looking beer, and thus, I'm a fan of Wexford. If you see the can and expect a Guiness style beer, this isn't it. This is not a Irish Stout, it's a Irish Cream Ale and it's damn good. This beer is smooth, very drinkable and has a mild yet full flavored taste. I would recommend this beer to anyone. It's a very high quality brew.

3.15/5  rDev -6%

I just love nitro-can beers. Every beer should be in a nitro-can. Beautiful cascading pour with a thick creamy head. Looks like a golden Guinness. Maybe it's the nitro cartridge, but it even smells a bit like Guinness as well. However, the taste is not Guinness. This may have been in my fridge a little long. A bit of a mettle taste on the palate. The alcohol is more vibrant here as well. Too much so for the 5.0 ABV. I don't I think I like this as much as I thought I would.

3.63/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice mber, pale copper colout. Half centimetre tight head, which is constant throughout the pint.

Immediate aroma note of whisky... grains, malts, heathery, herbal.... definitely reminds me of a Speyside.

Flavours of honeyish malts, floral hop profile.

The mouthfeel is a bit weak & watery.

2.8/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I was somewhat dissapointed by this brew. I had it at a pub on-tap the other day and at first glance, it looked apealing. I could barely finish the pint. There was just something about it that was wrong. It did have a nice malt taste but other than that, there wasn't a whole lot of flavor, and the finish was bitter in a bad way. You'd do yourself a favor by having a better Cream Ale.

Poured from a one pint nitro can.

Appearance--hazy as poured but cleared nicely with a good one finger head. Almost ruby in color.

Smell--very faint malts, perhaps a bit buttery.

Taste/mouthfeel--Increadibly smooth, nearly lacking carbonation, mild malts, and a wee little bit of a citrus aftertaste.

Drinkability--slides down real nice.

2.78/5  rDev -17%

Poured from a 16 oz. nitro can. Left about a one finger head that quickly dissiapated, left no lacing. Body was a clear orange amber.

Smell - herbally hops and much diacetyl. Has that infamous "euro-skunk".

Taste - same as the smell. Diacetyl, washed with some weak herbally and skunky hops.

Mouthfeel - full bodied, creamy, and somewhat semi-dry.

Drinkability - not very good tasting, so it's not sessionable.

3.65/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Wexford Irish cream ale
Picked up a few cans of this to try this evening, and was pleasantly surprised. Left a 1 finger thick head, that tapered off to a ¼” head for the rest of the session. Just phantasmal to watch it go into the mug. Like a bubble fest in a swirl vortex.
Aroma and flavor were on par on this one. A sweet caramel and robust fig aroma/flavor came pouring out, very smooth and creamy, of course. As it warms up, a slight hint of a burgundy flavor creeps in, adding to the flavor.
Color is a deep luxurious golden red amber. A beautiful brew to gaze at while holding towards the sunlight, or any light for that matter.
Never really cared for the pressurized widget cans, because it leaves a certain undesirable taste on my taste buds. But I would definitely recommend this one all the way.

3.13/5  rDev -6.6%

A - This is a fun beer to pour. It is an amber color with a huge head. It is cool watching the carbonation rise from the bottom to the top as the beer becomes less hazy as it settles.

S - It smelled sweet and malty. Also, some yeast notes.

T - It tasted very malty and there was a floral taste to it.

M - It is very soft and creamy. It doesn't feel like any other beer I've had (it is my first Irish Cream Ale).

D - It was good but a little unusual for my taste. I may try one again sometime just to see what I think of it at a later time.

3.65/5  rDev +9%

I am fairly new to the "Cream Ale" style. I do love the appearance and texture of this beer though the flavor is slightly less exciting. Still, tasty, approachable and quaffable.

Appearance: *HUGE* Nitro head that kick but up one side and down the other. Incredible retention and the lacing literally paint the side of the glass with super thick sheets of heavy foam lacing that is simply impressive. The color is a nice, clear amber.

Smell: The aroma is reserved but decent. It had hints of caramel buried in a sturdy malt character. There is a bit of a buttery aroma as well.

Taste: The mouthfeel is so thick full and creamy that you almost forget to care what it tastes like. The creamy texture lets a malty fruity flavor seep through into the palate. The flavor is thin and straightforward but the pucker dry finish has a fruity malt attribute. There is a distinct dryness but I am not sure that I could actually isolate much of a hop flavor.

Mouthfeel: The feature gimmick of this beer! It is work trying if you have never had a beer so creamy.

Drinkability: This is really a pretty boring beer if you subtract the fact that is hypnotically beautiful to look at and sensational in the mouth. The aftertaste is not terrific which forces you to drink another causing it to go down quick and easy. So I guess the gimmicks work. The creamy “Cream Ale” worth the experience (at least once) in my book.

Hope this is helpful.