Olde Suffolk English (Strong Suffolk Vintage) Ale - Greene King / Morland Brewery

Olde Suffolk English (Strong Suffolk Vintage) AleOlde Suffolk English (Strong Suffolk Vintage) Ale

Greene King / Morland Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Old Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-14-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Olde Suffolk English (Strong Suffolk Vintage) Ale Alström Bros
2.25/5  rDev -43.9%

This is my one odd-one-out beer! I really really tried with this beer but no, I HATE IT! I love Old Ales but this is a complete train wreck of a "beer"...
The smell is god awful, like bad wine, and the taste is horrible...."how does this beer have such good marks, its truly terrible BUT it just shows you how different some people can think... and brew. It first tastes bitter sweet then starts to sharpen as it warms,....its aftertaste tastes like wine when you breath out the nose, but alot of people like that bite to there brew...but not me really. i did a re-rate twice!, this beer is ...well, crap, i hate it , to damn tart and sour and ...geez, tastes like a beer that went bad!!! a wine beer if u will"

2.5/5  rDev -37.7%

Pours a deep chestnut brown from a 16.9 oz bottle. Significant dense brown head, retains light dense brown head. ~$2.75 from Utah State Wine Store in SLC (which isn't in Beerfly, so I can't Beerspy it.)

Aroma is limited, a little stale, slight notes of cider and sour bread.

Taste is pretty blah. A little sour, nut, caramel, slight hints at roastiness. Minimal, ummm, almost zero hops detectable. Unpleasant astringency. Tastes a little burnt, and a little like white vinegar. Kind of like a sour, basic brown ale (makes me think of a sour Newcastle, which I would normally drink when the only other options are BMC products.)

Edit: after it warmed to complete room temperature (it's about 75 in my house right now) it became slightly more drinkable, and I bumped my "taste" score from 2.0 to 2.5. I'd drank it in the mid cellar range, i.e., mid 50s. All of my taste comments still apply, but the really unpleasant tastes have mellowed a bit, which is a little bit odd, given that cold generally masks bad flavors. Only other real difference is in the aftertaste: hints of fruit (apricots?) and some notable alcohol warmth.

Either it's way past due, or is just plain mediocre beer, and I'm inclined to think it's the latter. Good example of an import in a pretty bottle that isn't worth my time or money.

2.53/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

So I feel a little unfair at reviewing this ale as it's not really my bag. Pours to a very dark red almost brown colour with a head which quickly disappears making this ale appear flat. Smells like Christmas cake with spices, malt and treacle coming through. Tastes lighter than its appearance would suggest and lingers long after swallowing. There will be people who love this beer but I'm not one of them but that's down to my taste rather than the ale

2.65/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a very dark, amber color, more towards the black side of things than amber. 1 finger head dissipates fast into a ring around the glass, slight lacing apparent.

Very sweet on the nose up front, strong caramel and toffee scents, wheat notes on the finish.

Taste is very sweet, probably a little too sweet for my liking...caramel, fruit, slight bitterness, metal, sourness as well. For being aged in oak vats I cannot taste the slightest hint of oak. Just not very well balanced.

Mouthfeel is somewhat full up front but finishes weak. Not much else to say about it.

Not what I was hoping...I probably will not purchase this beer again. It's drinkable, but then again so is water.

2.95/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

I decided to put this old ale in a finer glass than a pint, so I put it in my trusty La Moneuse tulip. The pour from the 16.9 oz bottle raises a head under one finger that drops quickly. It's a tan that matches the label, over a body the color of cola with a ruby-brown translucency. The lacing is minimal.

The nose is a mix of candied apples, caramel, red wine, wood, toffee, bread, and a smell I often get from English ales, a buttery aroma. Impressive.

The taste is a muted mirror of the nose, unfortunately. I pick up the wine character, some acidity, and a little diacetyl, but not much else. As it warms, though, there's some creamy caramel and vanilla barely shows. Alcohol shows too, sadly.

The mouth is actually fairly thin, which I didn't expect for a heavier English ale. The carbonation is a bit high too (for the style), but it's not that far off.

This had a bit of promise, but it's boring, overall. Plus, the acidity is too high. Oh well.

Bottle: Poured a dark burgundy color ale with a small foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of semi-sweet malt with some light oak. Taste is a mix between some sweet caramelized malt with some very subtle notes of oak and fruit. Body is way too light and carbonation is low which is to be expected of. I have to admit that this one was a bit deceiving and definitely lacking in complexity.

Pours out nicely, with a pillowy head and lacing that falls into almost nothing over time.

The smell is sour and has a litte bit of apple in it. If it was supposed to be fruity at all that's gone.

Taste is slightly sour with molasses and coffee flavors, the nose has an almost metalic cinnamon flavor to it.

Mouthfeel isn't quite watery, but not far off, still enjoyeable.

Drinkability would be good if I was able to get a fresh batch, but I don't think it survived the trip over very well.

3.05/5  rDev -23.9%

I hate clear glass bottles!

Of the Greene King beers I've tried Olde Suffolk is the best. It still has a pesistent thud on the back of the tongue that all the Greene King beers do but there is a bit more complexiety than in the others.
Is pours a brilliant deep red with a small but lasting head that developes a gentle lace down the glass as the volume receedes. The aroma ad flaovor are caramel/ toffee and just a touch of tropical fruits and just enough bitterness to dry the tongue. The mouthfeel is light but with that annoying thud. I'm under the ipression that Greene King doesn't care for their beer very well and by the time it reaches out here on the west coast it's drinkability has greatly suffered.

3.08/5  rDev -23.2%

A Greene King beer not packaged in a clear bottle! Rejoice!

This ale gave me a wicked rush of crazed carbonation that eventually rested to a 1/4" lightly splattered head / lace. The color is a deep ruddy pond water.

Wine like fruity esters abound; oaky carmelized sugar, slight cider hints. Major bready doughy malt until interrupted by a spattering of noble hop.

Once you get past the rush of liquid cardboard I initially noticed, this is a good English experience. Its rather hard to describe in its astringency, however. Slighly thin mouthfeel, med to low drinkablility.

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from 1 pt 0.9 oz bottle into a Brewer's Art goblet with a moderately aggressive hand. Clear bottle. Why Great Britain, why? The base of the bottle proclaims "Brewing Perfection". Well ok, then.

A: Very dark amber with scant 1/4 finger of white head. Disappears to a wispy suggestion of a head in 1-2 minutes. Kind of underwhelming.

S: Sweet, dark fruit, cherry. Dates. Spice. Light sourness. Not bad.

T: Sweetness up front with raisins, cherry, dried fruit. Malt. Transitions into some mild tartness/acidity and finishes surprisingly dry. Firm bitterness in the end, which is probably the best part. Some oak. Some bourbon.

M: Low carbonation. Honestly, a fairly watery body with a residual stickiness on the lips and tongue. Unfortunately, I don't think this was a prime bottle...

O: Sad to say, disappointed overall. Has potential, especially with regards to the scent and flavor, but came off a bit weak. I was hoping for some more complexity, depth and assertiveness. I believe I'll pass in the future.

3.18/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured from 500ml into a pint

A - dark red to almost cherry in color - some areas are more opaque which appear black. Almost porterish. Little head retention, but it didn't appear to be from the lack of carbonation. Very filtered.

S - Sweet chocolate and caramel notes on top with a hair of yeast backdrop. Not bitter at all. Does have a sour tinge to it.

T - Starts off relatively light in flavor - just a hair of malts and the exact counterbalance of bitterness. Mid-stream is just a bit flat. Finishes with that very sour acidic flavor mixed with some yeast spiciness. Aftertaste is muted, but overall a bitter astringent residue.

M - Thinner than I would have expected from the appearance - the body is light. Watery. Small amount of leftover filming.

D - Very easy to drink - flavors are mild and so is the abv. Carbonation is not very filling.

I shouldn't look at previous reviews as it may bias me, but I have to say I'm going to run against the grain on this one. It just didn't do it for me.

3.2/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours a dark brown color covered with a nice tan head and a decent retention.
The malty aroma is complemented by some sweet fruits and spices.
The taste is nicely bittery, you can also taste some nice spices, although can't say which.
Easily drinkable and smooth.

500ml bottle from Bevmo

Aroma: Some dark malt character with a few fig and raisin notes. Very slight sour aroma, probably from long oak aged portion of the blend. definitely improved as the beer warmed.

Appearance: Dark brown, clear with very little head that dissipated to nothing in a few minutes.

Taste: Rich and caramelly, but a little too artificial. Not sure if its from the "caramel color" added but it lacked the complexity of the aroma. Some dark fruit character and medium low hop bitterness. Overall, a little flacid for what I expect from a strong british ale.

Mouthfeel: Medium where I would have expected a fuller body. Alcohol warming was subdued, but present. Slight astringency.

Overall, not quite what I was looking for. Thomas Hardy's is far superior for a strong english ale.

3.28/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Opaque brown. Very thick tan head that, although dissipated slightly, still remained for the entire beer. Bubbles attached to the glass.

Aroma: Strong burgundy and alcohol smell. Initially there was a musty-bready smell that I did not like at all. The aroma improved a little as the beer warmed and was replaced a little bit by a molasses smell. The musty smell did not go away completely though.

Taste: Roasted caramel and molasses taste up front. Finishes with sweet malt taste and a very slight bitter aftertaste. I enjoyed the taste of this beer.

Mouthfeel: Very little carbonation. A little chewy with a dry and tingly finish.

Drinkability: A sipping beer. A little alcohol warmth.

Comments: Unfortunately the aroma ruined the enjoyment of this beer for me.

3.28/5  rDev -18.2%

Didn't quite know what to make of this one. Its colour, smell, and taste were all totally different from what I was expecting. It poured a crystal clear dark reddish brown colour. The head was khaki in colour and approximately 4mm thick. It subsided to nothing in less than 45 seconds. The smell was very interesting, and also unexpected. Very wine-like. It actually had a fruity / grape smell. There was a substantial amount of roasted malt in the background, clearly identifiable, but the wine - grape - alcohol smell was easily noticeable and right up front. Peculiar. The taste was reminiscent of wine, as well. Malty for but a moment when you take a sip, then turning tart and very wine like. Odd indeed as I have never had an ale with these characteristics, though I have read of them. Mouthfeel seemed light and was much more carbonated than I was expecting. I didn't think this was awful, but I certainly wasn't impressed. Very peculiar brew.

3.3/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

ST: Pint poured into a wine glass.

A: The beer is a dark brown with a fluffy brown head. It leaves nice lacing. When held to the light, dark ruby red tints take over the beer, and very slowly rising carbonation bubbles can be seen.

S: Roasted malt, toffee, caramel, and fruit.

T: A lot more flavor than the nose suggested, it beings fairly fruity. Mid-way through the flavor switches to light malt and slight toffee. The finish has slight vanilla, nuts, and roasted malts hold center stage along with a bit of oak (a slight burnt taste lingers on the tongue).

M: Surprisingly light, the finish even feels a bit watery.

D: It has some nice flavor, and it is light. The bottle does not list the alcohol percentage, though I would guess it is 5.5 or 6 percent.

Overall: I met someone that went to England and swore up and down about the quality of this beer. With that in mind, I picked it up to try. It has nice flavor and a bit of complexity, and it blends the alcohol very nicely. However, its light and watery mouthfeel distracts true enjoyment. It could use more body. This is not a bad beer, but it is not an excellent beer.

Olde Suffolk English (Strong Suffolk Vintage) Ale from Greene King / Morland Brewery