Greene King IPA - Greene King / Morland Brewery

United Kingdom (England)

English Bitter |  3.60% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 04-22-2007

3.05/5  rDev -2.9%

Had from cask at Bull's Head Cask Festival in Letitz, PA.

A - poured a pale straw color with just a few straggling bubbles for what represents no head.

S - the faint aroma of musty, wet grass is there, but not much more.

T - pretty bland. It is balanced adequately but not much substance to balance.

M - smooth and slick. Light in body.

O - not too excited about this one. At a whopping 3.6%, you could session this quite easily. I will be moving along to satisfy my tastebuds.

2.7/5  rDev -14%

I drank this beer from the bottle at a barbeque in Brighton. It was part of a 4-for-3 sale at the Waitrose that weekend and I should have purchased more bottles of Jaipur IPA instead. This is a fairly bland IPA -- not very flavorful, though I rightly expected a greater hops taste.

The beer is a fairly nice brownish color in the clear bottle and I did not note anything special about the smell. I may have picked up some mild hints of citrus -- or perhaps a hint of soft flowers.

I've now had 2 different beers from Greene King and would encourage them to up their hop quotient.

3.32/5  rDev +5.7%

a) Clear amber, soft 1" white head
s) Lemon zest, black tea, iced cup cakes or brandy snaps. An English tea-time ale.
t) Biscuits, bread crusts floral notes. Ginger ale / Earl Grey tea. Mild bitterness
m) Quite light, quick over the tongue, more like lemonade than ale. Slightly tart finish.
o) A flavoursome session ale, quite delicate in profile and easy to drink. Not exactly a benchmark IPA, but decent hop flavours nonetheless.

3.38/5  rDev +7.6%

Nice copperish amber with shortlived cream white head.

Nose: Fresh and piney; a bit sour.

Tongue: a bit like weak malty coffee, slightly creamy, with bitterness [strangely not very hoppy]. Not very persistent.

Mouthfeel: again like slightly creamy coffee, less carbonization.

Afterthought: surprisingly short.

Overall: Not a bad beer - but comically without a lot of character. Still very drinkable...

2.98/5  rDev -5.1%

500 ML poured into a SA Perfect Pint

A-- Poured a clear, dark amber color. Very short lived off white head that quickly went to film. Decent head retention as head goes to one finger and slowly dies off. Little bit of carbonation showing in pour and just a few wisps of film.

S-- Stewed asparagus, stewed cabbage and a bit of cat pee. Using a sav blanc reference. A bit herbal skunky and soapy but does have some freshness to this. Nose softens up a bunch with air and gets more palatable.

T-- Lots of hop presence in the taste. Mostly spicy vegetable hop taste but not that bad. Not a fruit or pine bitterness and it is very short lived.

M-- Thin and sweet. Very much like a simple syrup taste. Hops drop off and get a lot of residual sweetness. Keep thinking thin iced tea but quite clean. Light feel and medium carbonation.

O-- Not a lot to this and not all that bad. As a palate changer it works. Not something I would want a lot of but it works in some odd way.

3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

I had this at the King's Arm pub in Greenwich England. I was somewhat disappointed with this IPA. Of course, I'm used to American IPA's and this one just didn't have the hops I was expecting. The mouthfeel and flavor were both very light. What flavor there was was a bit of fruit.

3.11/5  rDev -1%

On-tap into a plastic pint at Twickenham stadium.

A: Clear orange-amber body under a 1/2" of creamy off-white foam. Good retention and lacing. Nice.

S: Herbal + earthy hops, as well as some biscuity malt and apricot. Ok, but far from excellent.

T: Some nice nutty + bready malt, followed by lightly fruity yeast and some grassy hops. Fairly dry, watery finish. Drinkable, but not terribly enjoyable.

M: Fairly light bodied with moderate carbonation. Ok.

O: I'm really confused as to why this calls itself an IPA, but whatever. It's a mediocre, forgettable beer that has the one saving grace of being hugely quaffable. I could easily drink this all day long at the stadium. Perhaps I will...

Cheers!

3.28/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance: Burnt orange color. Poured with about a finger of dense head. Good retention, lasted about 2 minutes before dieing down to a cap. Generous lacing.

Smell: Slightly sweet, citrous. Just a hint if hops in the aroma.

Taste: Nice amount of hops flavor, mildly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Very little carbonation. Bitterness lingers in the aftertaste. Clean finish.

Overall: Sessionable, quite drinkable. Refreshing amount of hops flavor makes this IPA one I will have again.

3.15/5  rDev +0.3%

Picked up a clear glass bottle at John's Market in Multnomah Village. Not into clear glass, & I know this isn't a high volume mover. What the heck. I was feeling like a British beer. Poured into an Imperial pint glass, perfect fit.

A: Pours a clear copper with a rich white head that dies down quickly. Doesn't seem to carbonated, but upon further inspection there are plenty of bubbles.

S: Smells a little skunked. Kind of a dutch lager smell. Hops are barely there.

T: A tame IPA for sure. Given the 5.0% abv & English origins I am not surprised. Not as sweet as other English IPA's I've had before. Low hop character with a mellow smooth finish.

M: Once again smooth, rich mouthfeel that seems to coat the palate. Clean taste without having much going on.

D: A very easy to drink beer. I'd like to try it from a can or on tap next time.

3.6/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a murky orange. A good amount of foamy whit head. Looks pretty good. Smells hoppy. Not particularly hoppy but a good amount of citrus o the nose. Tastes sweet and bitter. Mild hops on the tongue but fairly subtle. Solid mouthfeel and very drinkable. Definitely benefits from cask

3.87/5  rDev +23.2%

People commonly associate Great Britain with warm beer, and for good reason. While cask served beer is not necessarily "warm," it is served at basement temperature... roughly 55 F. I will honestly say that I was a little skeptical about having my first cask served beer, but after I tasted this unique English style bitter IPA, my mind was changed. Sure, most beers served here in the states are meant to be enjoyed cold, but I can appreciate a nice English cask served bitter.
Greene King's IPA has a very unique smell and appearance, seemingly poured (as the brewer's name implies), with a tinge of greenish color. As far as the taste goes, it is definitely hoppy, but not oppressive. I appreciated how smooth it was and the aroma was pleasant as well. Nothing special while it first touched your lips, but the aftertaste was highly enjoyable. Not sure how this would taste from a can or any other serving type, but if you can find a bar or local pub with this on tap, definitely give it a try, especially if you can appreciate beers from the UK.

3.92/5  rDev +24.8%

A: Pleasant dark amber colour. Thin head which didn't stay around too long, though was served in two pours into a smaller beer glass which could account for it.

S: Caramel / malts the most obvious smell, light on hops.

T: Quite nice for a session beer, malty with a touch of bitterness on the end.

M: Light carbonation, not too heavy, quite a smooth, light drink overall.

D: Nice and smooth, very easy to drink. Could very well be a session beer.

3.92/5  rDev +24.8%

Poured from a bottle into a Stella chalice.
Not much head to speak of. Very thin. Nice dark red orange appearance.

Caramel smell is the first thing noticeable.

Tastes nice initially, bitter near the end covered in moderate carbonation. malty and caramel throughout. lingering bitterness afterwards. Not a bad beer...no hop flavor present.

Tasty IPA, though not a strong one. A good beer to try. I have it regularly.

3.01/5  rDev -4.1%

Greene King IPA chilled, on creamer tap.

A red clear nice thick creamy head. 4

S honestly not that much hop aroma. Clean but not hoppy for an IPA. 3

T clean tasting no hop bite smooth. Nitrogen takes the bitterness out of the beer. 3

M really thin, I think carbonation would serve this beer much better. 2.5

D drinkable, but not a great IPA. There seems to be a lack of bitterness and flavor in beers served in southern England. I had much more flavorful and hopped beers in Northern UK. 3

3.53/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This IPA has a very strong malt flavour. That being said it's a nice one. You can taste the mashed grains in the body. It's smooth and very nice when chilled. It's sweeter than what i like but this is a confidently produced product that is sure to make some people very satisfied. I'm just not getting much in way of hops in this but that's okay since overall it is quite enjoyable.

3.18/5  rDev +1.3%

Enjoyed from a cask while at the Sherlock Holmes Pub in London, just down the street from Charing Cross.

A: served a dark copper in a pint glass. gorgeous brown/amber with a decent head but little lacing.

S: malts are certainly evident, but there are some hops and caramel that linger as well.

T: rather bland in flavor following the smell. possibly due to the cask pour. would like to retry from a bottle.

MF/D: decent carbonation but relatively smooth. easily drinkable but nothing to brag about.

3.47/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a nonic. This one's the 5% export with no clear freshness date. Pours a robust amber-brown hue, with a few scattered bubbles for the head, which dissolved entirely, leaving no trace of head or lacing. Oh well...

The nose is slightly hoppy, with a touch of malts and caramel.

Surprisingly sweet and malty to begin, with the hop bitterness arriving later and lingering for a while. Not as sharp as I'd like it, but it'll do nicely for a bitter. Notes of toffee, caramel and lemon as well.

Mouthfeel is medium-slick, with decent carbonation, making this highly quaffable.

Not bad at all. Could use a bit more work to get it more within the bitter/IPA range, but still a fairly sessionable bitter.

3.85/5  rDev +22.6%

500 mL clear bottle poured into a pint glass.

Out of the three formats I've tried, bottled is my favorite (can, cask, bottle).

A: brownish-copper beer has clarity, 1-finger head with minimal lacing.te

S: sourish-sweet and malty.

T: the flavors are more pronounced here in the bottled version for whatever reason. While I found the canned and cask versions to be a bit on the bland side, this one had a bit more umph to it.

M: nice carbonation, moderate body.

D: very refreshing!

3.6/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

on cask at Mahar's in Albany, NY, notes taken directly from phone.

Greene King IPA Cask

To mug

A:very clear golden color. No bubbles and 1 cm head with lacing.

S: a clean smooth malty smell, little hop presence in the nose.

T: once again a really smooth clean IPA. Ends a little bit with some hops, subtle though. This isn't a CA IPA ;). I get a biscuitty flavor after the smooth and I don't get hops til the end. This is post BrewDog punk. Ruined my palatte?

M: smooth, did I mention smooth.

D: good beer and very drinkable. As for IPA's I've been hop beaten for years so this is a change but welcome. Cask English IPA is different and good.

2.6/5  rDev -17.2%

My excitement at finding a tap handle with "IPA" on it dissolved almost the instant this beer hit my poor tongue.

Ordered up at the infamous Sherlock Holmes pub just off Trafalgar Square, my first entrance into a British Pub. Great experience; just before Armistice Day & there'd been some kind of vet's gathering nearby, so the place was packed with roaring, ribbing, funny-as-hell British vets. Wish I could have stayed longer!

OK, so I can't put off talking about the beer any longer. Very light color, clearly filtered to within an inch of its life, which in the process removed most of the smell & almost all of the character. After bracing myself for a cleansing IPA on the palate, I got what I later found out to be a weak, watery, rather washed out English Bitter. Not a bad beer, but unremarkable in every way, shape, & form, & a serious let-down considering the branding (IPA!) & great atmosphere.

Mediocre. I wouldn't bother with this one again, & would choose a mixed drink or water if this was all there was on offer.

3.67/5  rDev +16.9%

500ml can served in an imperial pint glass at fridge temperature. I found it amusing that this is classified as an English Bitter rather than an IPA... labels aside, I can't wait to sample this.

Appearance- A light, tawny gold beer pours from the can... the head rises a creamy finger and a half, resting elegantly and remaining full. It appears light and easy, sessionable on the eyes.

Smell- I'm getting a smoky, medicinal, almost Scotch whiskey aroma... like a Belhaven ale... it's really quite nice and it reminds me of the Holidays several years ago when I first got into single malts. Aside from that, the nose is clean with a wisp of tangy hops.

Taste- The hops rule here as they appear early in the mouth, then stay right through to the finish and thereafter. The distinctly English character, with Challenger and First Gold hops, balances well enough with the malts and the result is a very light, easy session beer that would be great with nachos or similar noshes.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Very soft and simple in the mouth... the gentle carbonation withers after a few seconds, which is fine for this delicate, approachable style. I'll agree this is more an English Bitter than an IPA, it drinks so smoothly and restrained.

2.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Had this off of a nitro-can shipped in from the UK thanks to a friend.

I didn't find anything about this beer that I really love.

To like: Slightly sharper bite in the flavor of this beer than in a traditional bitter. A little more hop than usual. Unobjectionable overall making it clearly sessionable.

To improve: This nitro-can was a little over carbonated. Light flavor other than the hop notes and very little to make the beer stand out against its foes. There are a lot of beers to choose from in this space so I would pass on it.

4.2/5  rDev +33.8%

Poured from a chilled 660ml bottle in to a traditional pint glass.

A - Dark to medium brown in colour. Pours with a good head, however this fades fast. Doesn't appear very lively.

S - Quite sweet malty aromas, overall very mild though.

T - The initial taste is bready malts, which is followed by a mild bitter hoppiness. The flavours are very subdued, and not over powering, ending in a slightly bitter creaminess.

M - Smooth, and refreshing yet carbonic. Light for an IPA.

D - I personally love this beer and have been drinking it for years. I think it demonstrates that you don't need excessive alcohol and brutally strong flavours to make a great beer. I can understand the lower ratings from the American drinkers as they are used to IPA that attacks the palete with an onslaught of bitter hops but that is not what the English IPAs are about. Try it and enjoy it for what it is; an easy to drink English IPA. Also, a word of warning, this IPA is far superior on cask and bottle in comparison to cans.

3.06/5  rDev -2.5%

Pouring into a mug results in a brownish amber ale with a finger of head.

Smell consists of a minimal hop scent, as well as something similar to nectar.

Taste is somewhat complex. Some sweetness rolls over the tongue initially, which evolves into some bitterness and earthiness. An earthy aftertaste stays in your cheeks for a bit after.

I don't know if I would call the finish crisp and refreshing, but overall it is a decent brew. Unfortunately for it, I know better bitters and IPAs for its price point here.

2.81/5  rDev -10.5%

After two weeks in the Balkins, I had a layover in London. I had enough of Euro Pale Ales and wanted something hoppier and something with flavor. In short, I wanted a good IPA. The first English pub I saw had this in cask, and I thought I had found my answer. I was slightly mistaken. This was not like an American IPA. It was served at room temp (which can be expected in England). It had no head, but it looked the right color for an IPA. It just did not impress me with the flavor. There was not much hop flavor in it. It is drinkable, but it did disappoint, I guess I just had too high of expectations....

Greene King IPA from Greene King / Morland Brewery