Old Speckled Hen - Greene King / Morland Brewery

good

Greene King / Morland Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 10-23-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Speckled Hen Alström Bros

Drink this everyweek. Best home beer in a bottle you could want. Not a big fan of chilled beer but a cool 'specklage' hits the spot. Love this beer. If you have not tried it please do.

"OK," I said to my friend. "Let's do English beers now."
Old Speckled was an obvious choice, and we paired it with a John Courage. It was all over as soon as the beers were set in front of us. Speckled had a "creamy" head in a way that shames all other uses of that descriptor. I dipped my finger in the foam and it was solid! Creamy, buttery, thick and highly aromatic as it offered caramel and vanilla perfume. Then, on the palate, the same notes repeated, this time with traces of maduro cigar and roasted pig fat. The finish was a battle between candy, bitter plant and ash.
Absolute perfection!

Sabina @ The Berkley Front is to blame. She's more surly than you-know-who.

4.93/5  rDev +43.3%

I tried this beer on reccomendation from Sam Matson at Red White And Brew in Florence NJ . It poured to a pint glass real smooth , Its taste is typical of the european ale's that I have tried. I am not sure about the availability elsewhere but Red White and Brew just brought it back so I know I will be buying it. It is a beer that I have told lots of people to buy and they have echoed my sentiments

4.78/5  rDev +39%

Enjoyed pint at Kinsale Tavern on 93rd & 3rd Avenue in NYC.

Light nose, sweet caramel, Some soft vanilla tones.

Finger and half head that was thick and remained with each quaf, happy to add.

Striking red to orange (i'm colorblind)

Very balanced, creamy & smooth, resonating with caramel to open your eyes.

4.65/5  rDev +35.2%

A: Deep Copper/Amber with super head retention and lacing. Nicely carbonated.

S: Lightly hopped and a bit of butterscotch.

T: Super awesome beer. Medium malt/bread flavor and a nice graininess. Great malt presence here. Butterscotch hints big time and it's good.

M: Full medium

O: High quality Ale here. That's the bottom line.

4.63/5  rDev +34.6%

Wow! This is probably the best beer Ive ever had in a can other than Guinness. The bottles are even better and would rank a quarter point higher, but the taste of this beer is velvety smooth, and you can taste the hardwork and character of this reddish color brew. If you happen to see this beer, buy it!

4.63/5  rDev +34.6%

Dark amber in color with a huge foamy off white, almost tan head. Sweet, fruity and floral nose. Rich and smooth. Sweet malt caramel, rich fruity flavor with a tad of hops. Heavy on the malt and light on the hops. Very drinkable!

This beer went great with my smoked sausage hoagie with grilled onions and peppers. Prosit.

For this particular style, English-style Pale Ale, Old Speckled Hen should have more hops in both the flavor and aroma for me to have given a solid "5". Nevertheless, this as a superb beer.

After reading all the not so good reviews I feel privileged to have gotten a couple sixers of Old Speckled Hen that wasn't light struck or tasted foul.

I noticed that several negative remarks pertained to this beer when the serving type was the nitro can. This only reinforces my view that beer in nitro cans should be avoided if possible.

4.6/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This pours a perfect amber color that has a strong long lived head that leaves thick traces down the side of the glass. The beer is effervescent and more lively than champagne. The nose is rich with hops and buttery malt tones that are truly exceptional. The flavor is refreshing with a spicy maltiness that is well balanced with strong hops and goes to a warming feeling in the stomach. The hops are just awesome. The mouthfeel is excellent as well with a nice pillowy soft body that is quickly subdued by the hops. Very bitter in the middle of the quaffed finishing even more bitter, but leaving very little aftertaste for the amount of hop flavor. I am so glad I bought a few of the 50cl bottles.

4.55/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have seen this on the shelves but have normally passed it up due to its price. But since it is on sale, I thought I would give it a try.

Pours a very attractive light amber liquid, clear, with a slight head.

Aroma is grain laden and bready.

Flavor is very well-balanced, everything I imagine an English beer will be. Nothing dominates but instead it is a nice marriage of grain, a slight toastyness, some caramel, some hops and some herbal notes.

Very smooth medium-to-full mouthfeel.

I like it. I'm not sure it is worth what I sometimes see it priced at, but it is very good. I will buy it again if it is on sale.

4.53/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm always a bit apprehensive when it comes to the Clear Bottle - especially when said bottle has traversed the Atlantic. However, best I can tell this one *seems* to have fared decently in its evil-light-permitting glass home.

The beer pours quite handsomely into my trusty John Courage glass: bold English copper-pale-ale in tone, sharp and clear. True to form with many bottled brews of this ilk that I've had, the head billows up and then retreats to a lacing.

On the nose, I wonder if some light pollution may have had play. Not promiently, mind you, but there's a whiff of something flirting with unseemliness. More favorable notes follow: English floral yeasts, butterscotch, hay, summer wheat fields, white pepper.

I take my first sip and am greeted with a liquid embrace: fresh grain, grassy hops, caramel, toffee, quenchingly mild bitterness, and that wonderful English flower-fruit yeast goodness. Perfect.

As it coats the palate and continues on its way, it leaves a wonderful creaminess to linger behind, with a slight hoppy snap on the tail. I can only imagine what this is like with nitrogen.

This beer is pure delight, with plenty of that wonderful English subtlety that I love. Sometimes you just don't want an Imperial- anything. Sometimes a 5.something% ABV Pale Ale is exactly what is called for, and here's an acme of its genre. It is simple and light enough to make a wonderful session beer throughout the night, but complex enough to keep you interested in it the whole time. This is an all-around winner, provided that the clear glass bottle doesn't betray you.

Try with roast beef sandwiches, fish & chips, mild cheese and pickles, or your drinking buddy.

Old Speckled Hen from Greene King / Morland Brewery