Old Speckled Hen - Greene King / Morland Brewery

good

Greene King / Morland Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 10-23-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Speckled Hen Alström Bros

1.2/5  rDev -65.1%

Nitro-can.

Words cannot express how nasty I found this beer to be. I have NEVER dumped part of any beer, but I was pretty much tempted to toss half this can.

A=The best part. Dark brown with a decent head.

S= Just plain nasty.

T= Disgusting, skunked.

M= Too thick for my taste, probably about right for this style though.

D= With a smell and taste this noxious, I can't see anyone asking for a second.

1.25/5  rDev -63.7%

1.25/5  rDev -63.7%

1.35/5  rDev -60.8%

Original Rating Date:
October 11, 2008

Not a big fan of English bitters but my father brought this home so I decided to give it a try. The clear bottle is an immediate turn-off, the aroma follows suit. Horribly skunky, so much so that it blocks out any discernible beer aroma. The beer looks alright, though- rust colored with a medium, lasting head. The taste follows the aroma -- horribly skunky. Nothing really here. I really need to get this brew on tap and re-rate, the clear bottle was awful.

1.45/5  rDev -57.8%

Clear bottle, nice copper color, poured into a pint glass giving a 1-finger head. Not much aroma other than faint malt. Mouthfeel was *ok*, nothing outstanding. I found that any malt taste was quickly overpowered by bitterness, and not the good kind.

Nasty, overpowering metallic after-taste that settled in after the first sip and would not let up. After 5 sips it turned into a drain pour - I could not force myself to drink any more.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say I had a VERY badly skunked bottle and would be willing to try it on tap, as I do enjoy English ales. There is an English Pub in town that serves it, so I'll give it a try with a good plate of bangers and mash and post another review.

As far as the bottle? Not a chance I would buy it again.

1.63/5  rDev -52.6%

A- Orange with huge creamy head that took way too long to die but left descent lace.

S- Sweet and boozy with skunk spraying all over it.

T- Like a skunk with a licorice stick and a bottle of whisky. Boozy, skunky, and sweet. Not a good combo. No hops, but a fruity biscuit with musky skunk. Awful.

M- Creamy and watery with booze burn

D- Overly sweet and skunky with booze taste. Won't buy it again.

1.63/5  rDev -52.6%

Handpump half-pint at the Windmill in Stratford-upon-Avon.

A: Slightly cloudy light-brown body with a 1/2" cap of frothy tan foam. Surprisingly good retention for such big bubbles, but practically no lace.

S: Umm, watered down wort? Slightly sweet and malty, but weaker than a newborn.

T: Terrible. Musty, astringent, cidery, and watery. Almost no flavor, and what is there is bad.

M: Medium body, almost still. Limp.

O: Perhaps this was a poorly kept cask, but the other real ales at this pub were just fine. This was probably the single worst ale I encountered in the UK, and I tried plenty of clunkers. Avoid at all costs (which is depressingly hard to do, since this beer is often the only cask ale offered at a given pub).

Cheers!

1.65/5  rDev -52%

This tasted like a darker version of a skunked Heineken. There are some good reviews, so many my batch was bad. But overall, this was terrible. It looks and pours great. Smell and (mostly) flavor, that's where it stops.

I thought it was terrible. I'd try it again, I suppose, but I won't buy it again. And now I have a few bottles I really don't want.

1.75/5  rDev -49.1%

I have never had (to my knowledge) an English Ale. If this is indicative of a typical English Ale, then I will never consume another. This was just not for me, and I love beer.

A - Dark brown with a nice head. Very attractive.

S - Like a beer with a hint of fish.

T - Skunky, fishy. Unimpressed

M - For me, too watery and light in the mouth.

D - For me, not at all drinkable.

I will be avoiding English Ales in the future.

1.78/5  rDev -48.3%

Old Speckled Horse-shit if you ask me.
It poured great, took about 30 seconds to settle. Looked good.
It smelled good and had good body.
The taste was f.ing disgusting. My vocabulary is not dynamic enough to accurately describe this vile. Prhaps the establishment of purchase stored it by the oven for a few months.

My rating for this beer is misleading, as we have to grade it on 5 factors. But if someone asked me, I'd say it deserves a 1.

1 out of 5 swills.