Old Speckled Hen - Greene King / Morland Brewery

Greene King / Morland Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Quaffer on 10-23-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Speckled Hen Alström Bros

Sorry but this following comment is in french !

Appearance : reflets cuivrés, mousse moyenne
Smell : nez frais de houblon
Taste & Mouthfell : le caramel s’impose rapidement, le houblon revient en arrière goût
Drinkability : une bonne bière dans le style pale ale

2.9/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured out of the can nice, and had a nice reddish-golden appearance and an all right head. It also had a pretty good scent, interesting with a sharp tang to it. The initial taste is fine, but as it got to the very end of each draw, there was a sharp tang of whiskey. It may be how it's aged, but I personally don't think the beer should be over ridden by such a powerful and unbeerlike flavor. I don't think I'll try it again, although someone who enjoys bourbon a lot more than me may really enjoy it.

3.86/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pretty reddish gold with a very nice constant white head. Aroma is mellow sweet malt with caramel and light fruit notes. Taste is mellow as well. Light sweetness. Apple and other fruit flavors. Just a touch of hops are noticable in the finish. Very low bitterness. Nice flavor overall if a bit muted. Mouthfeel is creamy. Pretty drinkable. Interesting and a good beer overall.

3.72/5  rDev +8.1%

A: A very clear and crisp light copper. Half-finger head that melted a little too quickly. Some lace but near negligible.

S: The high point of Old Speckled Hen for me. Tartness of fruit (plumb?) and sweet. Nice and airy without being absent. Perfect on my nose. A little swirling or agitation will bring this ale alive. But not too much as any lace will disappear and you will risk flattening the ale.

T: Light and slightly sweet. A step down from the smell.

M: Crisp and smooth. Draw is breathy and short-lived.

D: Light enough for me to enjoy a couple during an Indians game. A regular for me.

2.36/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

On tap at Mugs Ale in Brooklyn.

Poured a copper color with a creamy head [due to nitro]. Good lacing.

Aroma was malts and sweet. Overall, quite light aroma. Not much I could pick up.

Taste had some roasted malts. It was really sweet and cloying. Not much character.

Mouthfeel was flat and lifeless.

Overall, not something I would want again.

3.91/5  rDev +13.7%

I've heard this is a very polarizing beer that you either love or hate, so I decided I'd give it a shot and see which side of the fence I fell on.

It poured a medium brown with a small head that didn't last for long. It had a very fresh smell and to my untrained nose there seemed to have an almost fruity characteristic to it. The smell was very pleasant, and I wouldn't mind having an air freshener that smelled like it. The taste is a little malty with some subtler notes towards the end that seemed a little like apricot to me. The mouthfeel is pretty standard with a middling amount of carbonation. I'd say this beer is fairly drinkable, but I can't imagine myself enjoying it more than a bottle or two at a time. I'm not in love, but I think I definitely fell on the positive side of the fence with this one. I'll definitely have to pick up a couple more bottles sometime.

3.2/5  rDev -7%

Chestnut brown with flashes of red, a few large bubbles on pouring settled quickly. Not much head but some lacing. Starchy smell. a bit of pine, carbonation barely visible. Taste is bitter, some yeast, a shot of tartness here and there. Thin mildly hoppy mouthfeel, swirling produced a milky way over most of the glass surface; crisp malty aftertaste. Overall this is a fine ale but doesn't really distinguish itself in any particular way.

3.71/5  rDev +7.8%

A- great cascade into a 1/2 finger head, copper in color with some mixed golden and amber hues.

S- Rich malt aroma. Subtle esters float through of toffee and ginger snaps. A faint hop aroma hints it is there.

T- Rich brioche with some light toffee and caramel. Toasted english muffin. A faint metallic taste about every other sip. Hops comes in at the end and dries things out with a moderate bitter that stands firm with a light bite (hard water)

M- Rich and creamy with a lasting head that creates a tingley mustache on your upper lip. Good feel. Bitterness hangs a little long, but it still is refreshing. Medium bodied.

D- My idea of a session beer, super smooth, great balance. I love all of the bitters styles.The english do balance great

2.89/5  rDev -16%

Pint from Naja's Place in Redondo Beach

Pour was a light golden brown color with a massive head, one of the biggest I have ever seen, bartender had to pour out four different times, still about two inches when she handed it to me, head did not go anywhere the whole time either

Smell was nothing special, a little bit of roasted malt and caramel, that is about it

Taste was average as well, not enough hops in my opinion, reminded me a lot of Tetley's

This is usually served in a can and I would interested in trying this out of one of those next

Not a bad brew, could drink a few of these, but too many

3.75/5  rDev +9%

Not too shabby. A nice, clean, simple ale with a touch of malt sweetness and enough hops to dry and tart-en up the experience. Pours a bright amber color that leaves more lace than I expected. Some caramel sweetness in the nose that is mostly clean and fresh. The clear bottle worries me but clearly this fellow hasn't been mangled by light exposure. This is the sort of brew one tends to think of when going out to grab a pint or two. This brew doesn't make it into my regular rotation but I'd easily take this before a macro lager.

3.68/5  rDev +7%

This beer looks insane! Absolutely wasn't ready for such a massive, thick, solid white head (that's what she said???) Thickest I've ever seen (...) Anyway...butterscotch top literally falls, cascades, into an amber bottom, settling into a brownish honey color. This this looks beautiful.

The aroma is also fantastic - very fruity, full of citrus hop scent along with grapes and raisins. A lot more layered than most p.a.'s I've tried thus far. The taste sort of falls off though, not bad in anyway, just nothing better than your average beer, kind of watered down with bits of hops and oranges.

The mouthfeel is pretty impressive though, thick and syrupy just the way I like my beer, very mellow too. This was easily drinkable and I could suggest it to a lot of people I think would really dig it, I don't think it's for just anyone though, despite how mellow it is and the low abv.

3.43/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured out of a can a nice copper color with a think creamy head that went away after a couple of minutes. Lacing lasted throughout the rest of the beer. Nothing notable about the smell of the beer. The one thing i'll remember about this beer is the mouthfeel. It was incredibly creamy and smooth.

It's a good pub beer, i'll probably be getting it again.

4.92/5  rDev +43%

I tried this beer on reccomendation from Sam Matson at Red White And Brew in Florence NJ . It poured to a pint glass real smooth , Its taste is typical of the european ale's that I have tried. I am not sure about the availability elsewhere but Red White and Brew just brought it back so I know I will be buying it. It is a beer that I have told lots of people to buy and they have echoed my sentiments

3.93/5  rDev +14.2%

A: Clear, orange copper. Low carbonation, but a vigorous pour gives a fingerlength white head.

S: Light, sweet malt and earthy hops

T: Lots of earthy hop flavor and aroma combining with a medium mid palate bitterness. Supported by a lightly sweet, slight carmel malt. This is very enjoyable, flavorful, and immensley drinakable.

D: Very High.

4.73/5  rDev +37.5%

Enjoyed pint at Kinsale Tavern on 93rd & 3rd Avenue in NYC.

Light nose, sweet caramel, Some soft vanilla tones.

Finger and half head that was thick and remained with each quaf, happy to add.

Striking red to orange (i'm colorblind)

Very balanced, creamy & smooth, resonating with caramel to open your eyes.

4.18/5  rDev +21.5%

Pours a hazy amber color with a beautiful bubbly creamy tan 2 finger head that lingers down to a 1/8 inch froth and sticks around till it's done,not much lacing on this one though.
Aroma is of fresh hops and fruits like apricot and peaches a tinge of toffee and buttery hints also.
You can taste the bitterness right off the bat and than the malts and some sweetness to it and finish's off dry.
It's a medium body but at the same time kinda thin and flat,but this beer does go down quite well,the toffee and caramel comes through at the very end.
Overall,,,,this is one of my fav's and i highly reccomend trying this one...very good with a sandwich and some hot mustard and nibbling on some strong cheese.Hell...this one is good anytime....!!

3.26/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a reddish bronze color with good clarity and a dusting of a head. Some skunky smells overlay everything, with some orange marmalade and crystal malts as the base. On the palate, sweetness and orangey malts come in initially, then some hop bitterness hits with a snap, along with a hard water flavor that's rough but short of Burton. Toward the end, the skunkiness comes out, comprising the majority of the finish. Mouthfeel is crisp with hop bitterness and light to medium in weight. Light carbonation, even for the [bottled] style. Overall, this is alright. I would prefer a brown bottle or a non-nitro can, though.

3.58/5  rDev +4.1%

nitro-can, served in a pint glass, what a show!

A - slightly cloudy, orange/amber color with a rumbling, light tan, nitro inspired head that settled down after a while, leaving some blobs of lace.

S - toffee/malt aroma.

T - good tasting ale, sweet toffee/malt flavor with a bit of hop bitterness sneaking in on the finish.

M - medium/full bodied, a bit of a flat/watery feel.

D - one or two of these is all I could drink or would want to drink, for that matter.

2.98/5  rDev -13.4%

served from nitro can.

appearance - clear reddish brown, with a great frothy-nitro head. nice looking beer.

smell - honey, vanilla, sweet malts, buttery

taste - sweet maltiness, toffee, very faint hop finish, buttery, it's not bad.

mouthfeel - very full bodied yet flat...meh

drinkability - one is good enough for me.

1.22/5  rDev -64.5%

Nitro-can.

Words cannot express how nasty I found this beer to be. I have NEVER dumped part of any beer, but I was pretty much tempted to toss half this can.

A=The best part. Dark brown with a decent head.

S= Just plain nasty.

T= Disgusting, skunked.

M= Too thick for my taste, probably about right for this style though.

D= With a smell and taste this noxious, I can't see anyone asking for a second.

2.51/5  rDev -27%

Poured from a 12oz clear bottle with no dating system into a pint glass. It was a clear orange/amber color. It had a good sized white head that quickly faded to a thin collar. Good carb and slight lacing. The aroma was not very good. Started off skunky then grew into a weird smell that I can't pin down - some herbal hops. The taste was also not very good. I had this several years ago and hated it. Thought I'd give it another try and see if I had grown into it. Big nope - just isn't for me. Don't recommend. (2.5, NA, ML, N)

3.36/5  rDev -2.3%

Serving Type: Standard Bottle

Appearance: A beautiful golden amber, little head w/ lacing present

Smell: not much in terms of smell...malts, hops. There is another smell, but I can't seem to place it. A touch of spice perhaps?

Taste: Carmel taste that comes through toward the end, almost nutty in some parts.

Mouthfeel: Pretty medium like feel to it, goes down like a juice might.

Drinkability: I could most likely drink just this for a night and be okay

4.06/5  rDev +18%

This is an old favorite I haven't had in a long time. It pours a beautiful clear coppery-brown with just a little head. Aroma is strong and malty. Flavor is richly malty, with some hop bitterness, not complex but smooth and very satisfying. This is a good beer to have with a meal, or at a party, or with good friends.

3.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Looks like a bottle of Copper Fox Whiskey in the clear glass container. Poured gorgeous copper in the glass, perfectly clear with a nice though small head that disappeared quickly. Not much in the nose other than a mild English malt, but the mouthfeel was surprisingly satisfying, with great, if relatively invisible, carbonation. Taste was all malt with a touch of bitterness in the end. Not too sweet. Very refreshing. A bit of alcohol as the glass got low (and the ale warmed); but I can see why this is a good call on tap. Wonderful example of the style.

3.24/5  rDev -5.8%

not a bad ESB...

Aroma is slightly hoppy and malty like a good ESB should, Taste, very smooth slightly sweet/hoppy, i paired this one up with a light sandwich (honey smoked turkey, lettuce and tomato on a crossant) and it was a perfect fit... Nothing outstand about this beer however if i was in the mood for an ESB this wouldnt be a bad choice.

Old Speckled Hen from Greene King / Morland Brewery