Abbot Ale - Greene King / Morland Brewery

Greene King / Morland Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Abbot Ale Alström Bros

4.8/5  rDev +31.9%

4.73/5  rDev +29.9%

Poured a 500-ml can into a large stein.

Appearance - Clear amber ale with a wicked 1/4-inch foamy head. Looks amazing.

Smell - great malt aromas with detectable maple and chocolate undertones.

Taste - surpremely balanced flavours of toffee, caramel maltiness with a slow rolling even-out on the tail. Minor bitterness and a lightly roasted hoppy flavour at the very end.

Mouthfeel - extremely smooth and creamy effect. Doesn't get much better.

Drinkability - this strikes me as highly drinkable wiuthout ever being boring. The only risk I could think of is how rich it is... something to savour in due moderation.

4.65/5  rDev +27.7%

This is among my all-time favourites.

It is deep copper with a nice, creamy head (I should not that this is from a regular can, not the draught/nitro can shown or which seems to be popping up unfortunately). that lasts forever, slowly srhinking, and leaves some nice lace.

The aroma is malty and hoppy, with caramel, toasted bread, earth, pine, citrus. It has a wonderful, well-rounded character and range of elements.

The taste is similar, with the same qualities noted in the aroma. It has an amazing sweet-bitter quality that is wonderfully balanced, being both at the same time. It's very tasty, with a great feel, never bland, and exceeddingly smooth and drinkable.

4.62/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An outstanding English ale! Poured from a pint can. It poured a nice chestnut brown color with a small head that lasted the enitire pint. I wish i find this on tap. Creamy and rich with a classic ale smell. Zero aftertaste. High quality no doubt. Ice cold pint can single ready to go from beer world in largo on ridge rd. A new favorite.

4.6/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I haven't had this since I used to go to the Richmond Arms pub in Houston, so I decided I'd give it a whirl again. All I can say is I could kick myself for not buying it sooner. This is a damn good beer. I love the flavor. I bought this and Boddington's Pub Ale. Needless to say, I wish I'd just bought the Abbot Ale.

A - 4.5, Poured very well and a nice amber color.
S - 4.5, Loved the smell.
T - 4.5, This is a great tasting ale
M - 4.5, Not too sticky and not too thick, perfect actually
D - 5.0 I could drink this all day and night.

4.53/5  rDev +24.5%

I enjoyed a pint of Greene King Abbot Ale at a London pub earlier this week.

This is a gorgeous and popular English Pale Ale notable for it fragrant Challenger and Fruggles hops. The crystal and amber malts are subtle in this brew, so GK Abbot Ale does not exhibit the sweetness of many EPAs. It's very refreshing ale.

The color is full amber with red highlights topped by a generous off-white head. Carbonation is restrained and not particularly long lasting.

Malt aroma dominates floral hops from the head, but taste is balanced toward a hops bite. Given the tartness of this brew I was surprised by the full and silky body. I could stick with this ale all evening.

Greene King Abbot Ale definitely goes down as one of my favorites.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Remember this brand from on tap in England. I was amazed to see the brand in my local beer store. Beautiful appearance, lovely balance of malt and hop flavors. Smooth, clean, with a substantial alcohol content and satisfying without heaviness. A fair value for an import, and a fine drink.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Here in Peru there are not many places where you can sample beers from other countries, so when he had me between a place where European beers were selling did not think twice. The first beer I tried was this and go which was a surprise. It's a beer with a strong taste, excellent aroma and rich flavor, one of my favorites ever since.

Abbot Ale from Greene King / Morland Brewery