Abbot Ale - Greene King / Morland Brewery

good

Greene King / Morland Brewery visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-07-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Abbot Ale Alström Bros
DogFood11

1.45/5  rDev -60.2%

Silky smooth head, Beer takes a while to form coming from a nitro can, fun to watch. Lacing takes on a blanket form. Light copper with mild carbonation. If looks had anything to do with the taste this would be a big winner.

Has a whiskey/oak/black velvet aroma that is hard to get past.

this is a creamy brew that has a hard time developing anything appetizing or anything of not for that matter. Tiny bit of floral type hops but the rest of it is just a mess to be honest. Some bland breadiness.

mouth is heavy, nothing there to help clean up. Carbonation is almost non existent and I drank this fast considering the writeup.

01-22-2006 03:02:09 | More by DogFood11
kmacphail

United Kingdom (Scotland)

1.58/5  rDev -56.6%

I sampled a pint of this in the New Bazaar in Dumfries where I was told by the landlord that it was one of the permanent beers on offer.

The beer poured nicely, a light ruby colour with a decent, slightly off white head. A good start.

However after this things went downhill. The fragrences of this beer were non existant, I couldn't smell anything. I passed the pint to my mate for a second opinion and he said the same.

An initial burst of spices and floral dominate, these disappear to leave a bitter hoppy aftertaste that lingers.

The beer had a medium mouthfeel, about right for its style, however the taste completely put me off this beer. I managed to force a quarter of the pint before giving up and moving onto another. This beer obviously has its fans, but I am not one. I strongly recommend asking for a taster before ordering a pint.

08-08-2007 09:04:23 | More by kmacphail
ngandhi

1.6/5  rDev -56%

The sweet malt body reeks of Budweiser. Thin, but artificially empowered by a nitrogen injection that doesn't even make the beer attractive, this ranks high in my list of most dissapointing beers. It strives at some semblance of quaffability and fails in every respect -- from its all-malt, yet categorically cheap flavor, to its diseased piss appearance. At least the American macros use adjuncts freely and make a drinkable beer with it. This is an absolute mess that culminates in a lingering aftertaste of lemon, solvent, and shame.

Relax, relax.
ng

03-22-2004 23:56:55 | More by ngandhi
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

1.68/5  rDev -53.8%

This one came out of the can with a one finger head, that died away to a thin film. The body was clear, and light amber. Boded OK.

Aroma was a little off. Lightly fruity, with hints of white wine, and somewhat buttery. I don't like that butteriness.

Taste was malty, with white wine and butterscotch thrown in. Overall the flavors clashed badly. Pretty damn nasty.

Mouthfeel was kind of thin and slick, and it left a film coating my tongue.

Drinkability - well, this one was a drain pour, and I almost never do that. I could count on one hand the drain pours I have done in over 1600 beer tastings... but this one was just plain horrid.

I got three of these from the president of my company (reviewed from notes - that company went bankrupt and closed under him). Now I know why he wanted to get rid of them. I gave the other two cans away to people I knew wouldn't care, they were Busch drinkers and could stomach anything. I got a couple of Red Hook ESB in return, so we know who made out on that deal.

I don't even think I would dare to try this on tap in England. It was that nasty.

03-30-2009 03:10:39 | More by connecticutpoet
Beerman1977

Austria

1.75/5  rDev -51.9%

07-12-2013 21:21:02 | More by Beerman1977
Cheech22

1.83/5  rDev -49.7%

I'm hesitant to post a review of this stuff because the only two times I tried it were in the London Gatwick airport, and on both occasions it tasted as though this stuff had been sitting in the bottom of the keg for about Lord knows how long before I got to it. There was pretty much zero carbonation and it was very sour, which leads me to believe that I am correct in my assumption that both were spoiled batches (it was an airport, after all). I'll give it another shot if I can find it in a store stateside.

06-11-2008 22:15:45 | More by Cheech22

Mordhaus

11-11-2012 02:40:29 | More by Mordhaus
Naes

2.1/5  rDev -42.3%

This beer pours dark amber/orange and has a two inch layer of white head. Lacing is minimal.
The aroma is a bit grainy and has a slight malty presence.
The flavor is nothing special, just some pale malts and a bit of hops.
Mouth feel is watery and under carbonated.

03-14-2006 01:46:46 | More by Naes
pootz

2.13/5  rDev -41.5%

I knew there was a reason commercial Brit ales turn me off...this is a glowing example.

Crystal clear amber color no cap to speak of... weak lacing...soft carbonation

Little aroma at all outside the lightest whiff of wet hay from the hops.

Weak body watery mouth feel, limp lacking character

hard to taste malt in this... all I get is a sort of weak "tea" decernment that seems to have been brewed with hops instead of tea leaves.

Weak and undefined taste from front to finish...disappointing..like experiencing a cold glass of weak watery tea. I wouldn’t even cook with this.

02-01-2007 00:25:56 | More by pootz
TheLongBeachBum

2.17/5  rDev -40.4%

Presentation: 500ml brown glass bottle with a distinctive profile. The Green King crown is embossed on the neck along with the words ‘Estd 1799”. Brass colored crown cap with a black logo and a front and back label, of the thick calligraphic parchment type, with lots of marketing bullshit explanation of the beers style on the back label. Listed at 5% ABV.

Appearance: Chestnut brown body with a faded amber orange torso which supports a white head, a broken affair that scums the sides of the glass walls. Faded looks with a tired Keg Club Bitter look.

Nose: Nutty malts are attractive, but beyond that there is an annoying almost funky-skunky aspect that reminds me of stale hosepipes and damp cold sheds mixed with soggy wet toilet paper that has sat in the ceramic white pan with the Bismarck floating around to add some color. Stinks like old Edinburgh Toffee that my Grandma always offered me.

Taste: Toffee starts with some chewy malts. Wet cardboard swings in to alleviate the vinegar soaked brown paper and grainy malts. Fruity hints but the awful caramel soaked middle has some diacteyl hints, they are feint but nonetheless prevalent and detectable. Run of the mill chunky Bachelors Oxtail Soup bitter that does well abroad but sucks Tiddlers for me.

Mouthfeel: Heavy with a thin feel, a mixed up mess of sweet chewy malts and a diluted bitterness that produces a cloying finish. A malty bitter with intense sweet roasted malts.

Drinkability: A half litre chunky bottle is more than enough, I’m so lucky that I have a hot steaming home-made Indian curry waiting for me after this messy brew so that I can wash away this foul mess with something much more British.

Overall: Sickly profile with a cloying ending, so distinctive of the Greene King DNA that runs through all of its brews. I was never ever a big fan of Greene King from the first day I first tried their beers, and these days, my distain of their flavorless offerings is tainted with “off the pitch” commercial aspects. Even so I figured I would give this one a whirl nonetheless. BUT even with that background - this is nothing special at all. I really do hope that the non-UK BA’s do not think that this is “De Rigueur” for a British Pale Ale, it most certainly is not.

A big miss and a big mess.

08-27-2006 04:14:50 | More by TheLongBeachBum
ygtbsm94

2.25/5  rDev -38.2%

12-18-2013 04:21:46 | More by ygtbsm94
packetknife

Idaho

2.25/5  rDev -38.2%

Very unimpressed with this ale and surprised it wasn't in a nitro-can. Very normal amber color with a bare minimal head after the pour that faded into edge lacing quickly. A bit of hops on the nose and maybe a bit of bread but so faint. It wasn't bad on the nose though, just fairly non-existent. About the same on the tongue with a bit more hoppiness coming through. Well carbonated and consistent over the tongue so it has that.

06-26-2009 17:16:17 | More by packetknife
hdofu

Maryland

2.33/5  rDev -36%

How can a beer look so good and taste so blah. Poured a beautiful ruby red with a thin white head. Smell was quite alot like wheat and taste was nothing but bland wheat. This greatly hindered the drinkability. Beer was at least smooth though sadly that and its looks were all it had going for it.

07-10-2009 03:07:41 | More by hdofu
allergictomacros

2.45/5  rDev -32.7%

A - Looks good. Clear dark copper with a solid creamy head.

S - Smells a bit tart, with some butter and metallic undertones. Lemon, nuttiness and a floral hop also come through.

T - Ooh. Very bitter and not in a good way. One dimensional harsh bittering, without enough backing malt or hop flavour.

M - Light bodied, medium carbonation and a drying finish.

D - Not for me thanks. Kind of one-dimensional and harsh.

09-08-2007 04:37:12 | More by allergictomacros

08-06-2012 13:13:11 | More by Ivanhoes_Backpack
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.53/5  rDev -30.5%

Can: Poured a clear medium brown color ale with a small bubbly head with limited retention. Aroma of malt is slightly sweet with little hops distinguishable. Taste was also dominated by some discreet sweet malt with a dry ending. Body was about average with some average carbonation. A bit boring overall and would have profited from having more English hops to provide some floral notes.

08-30-2007 19:15:53 | More by Phyl21ca
beckje01

2.58/5  rDev -29.1%

This is my second review of this beer I had this from a can in MN, really not anything approaching the beer I had on cask in England.

A- Low head with very tiny bubbles, amber see through with lots of bubbling from the bottom.

S- Tangy with some malt.

T- Some malt with an odd metallic taste.

M- Too thin just really lacking.

D- Easy just not much to this.

12-03-2006 23:28:41 | More by beckje01
bark

Sweden

2.63/5  rDev -27.7%

This ale comes in a nice designed bottle, 500 ml with best before date.

The foam is rich and very white, but quite soft and disappears relatively fast. The colour is light copper with a shade of red.

The smell is a little disappointment; it is like average ale of this style but more delicate. It was hardly any scent at all, but there was a little touch of hops.

The taste… To be honest, I didn’t really like it. The first thing that hits the mouth is carbon dioxide. Lots of sharp carbon dioxide (perfect for a lager or pils, but not for ale) makes it hard to feel any other taste.

The taste developed in three stages: First, a quick rush of metallic tones. Then comes a fresh, sweet taste resembling of dark bread baked with treacle. Third, the carbon dioxide comes back, but this time together with a nice body of dry hopes.

Its dry, well-composed aftertaste is the best part of this beer. It might be a real gem on tap or as real ale, though.

01-05-2004 19:35:19 | More by bark
RedwoodGeorge

2.63/5  rDev -27.7%

So this is I think the third English Pale Ale I've had from a nitro can and I think at this point I can say that a Nitrogen Widget doesn't really add anything to the experience...

The pour is good enough - the beer itself is a dark amber color with a light tan head. The pour generates plenty of that nitrogen "reverse cascade" and forms a dense foamy head that lasts through much of the drink. No lacing on the glass.

The nose is just fine - again a typical English Pale Ale with plenty of fruit notes dominating.

The taste is pretty disappointing - it's got most of the standard Pale Ale fruit notes but the focus is more on the grain here. This one's a bit more grainy with plenty of saltine cracker notes (I suspect toasted barley) There's also a pervasive bitterness that isn't a malt note and isn't a hop note (at least one that I recognize) There's kind of a 'bottom of the coffee pot' bitterness here that does not in the least enhance the taste.

Mouthfeel is also disappointing. Even though it's nitro-charged there's no real smoothness as you'd hope. There's a slightly oily feel as you'd expect from the style but otherwise a thin, watery body.

All in all I think I'm done with Nitro-Charged English Pale Ales. There as so many high quality bottled EPA's that don't seem to need the aid of a widget and I think I'll stick with those...

07-25-2005 04:08:26 | More by RedwoodGeorge