Boater Beer - Eddyline Restaurant & Brewery

Colorado, United States

German Pilsener |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: LXIXME on 09-20-2012

3.73/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

16oz. Can

Pours a nice slightly cloudy pale yellow color, nice carbonation, with a nice fizzy small white head, with some minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, slight yeast/hop notes, lemony. The taste is malty, yeasty, very slight hop note, with some citrus. Medium body. Overall, a good thirst quencher.

3.86/5  rDev +15.2%

Look: Finger and a half of creamy white head has some sticking power. Active carbonation. Slightly hazy golden straw in color.

Smell: Bready malt. Mild biting Noble hops.

Taste: More of the same but the hops are a bit abrasive for a German Pils. Really wasn't expecting that.

Feel: Pretty close to perfect body for the style. Carbonation is pleasant.

Overall: Pretty dang good. Its a little course for most people's taste's but pretty approachable for craft brew lovers.

3.14/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

yeah, I am with the masses on this one. everything from eddyline lately has impressed me so much, I had to give this a try when I saw it in the singles section. it is painfully average. it pours a watery yellow color not much different from a coors light, maybe even paler in color. better lacing, but not by much. nose is loosely german pilsener malts, but its overcome by an adjuncty sweetness that's got a bit of aluminum to it. the flavor is the same as the nose, with an almost corn sweetness coming out of nowhere and unsettling the stomach more than any pils should. hardly hopped either. I take it this is their crowd pleaser offering for the uninitiated, but to me this is a huge let down. their lineup has some wonderful beers, but unfortunately this one is a level or two below where it should be. boring and bland, not even refreshing really, just a miss for me.

3.4/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A thanks to the creator of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts and grains. Taste is the same, some sweetness, malts, a bit of grains, clean and easy drinking. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

2.81/5  rDev -16.1%

The Old Lady was like a modern Siren, enticing me to come out and visit her in what I now refer to as CANorado. I made the long journey westward, only to find that my amorous feelings for her were MUCH stronger than her reciprocal feelings for me. Ah, ma coeur! In the meantime, she was a most gracious hostess and a like mind, which made it all the more painful. Towards the end of my visit, I gathered my shopping list and went all over town, gathering and buying CANs like it was my first time. The look on the babe's face when she came down from her place of work to help me stow all of my CAN booty in her vehicle was priceless. She could not believe that I had hauled so much around on public trans by myself nor that my (relatively) small frame could carry it, period. I am like an insect, capable of lifting 1000x my body weight, but I was pretty sore for a few days afterward. This marks my opening salvo in the wondrous event known as New Beer Sunday (week 445 - Labor Day weekend version).

From the CAN: "Kayak, Raft, Stand Up, Paddle, Skinny Dip, Skip Rocks, Fly-Fish"; "Born and Brewed in Paddler's Paradise"; "CKS Your Link to Water [-] The Official Pilsner of PaddleFest!"; "High Altitude - Low Attitude"; A pseudo-drain hole with pseudo-screws marked "For Rapid Draining". Ha! As a former Deck Department Deck Ape, I recognize that. The cynic in me says that it was perfectly placed to bore a hole, place a screen and use it as a (Ahem!) drainpipe. You would have to drill another hole in the side if you wanted a carb, but it is not necessary. My intact CAN is going to Jeff Lebo for his CAN house (Woody wing).

The Crack revealed yet another brimful craft CAN, so I went with an inverted Glug to reduce some of the pressure. This produced a finger of fizzy, foamy, bone-white head with reduced retention. Color was a VERY pale-yellow. SRM = 1, generously 2. Nose had a light grassiness, definitely Noble hops, but faint, with a biscuit malt underlay. Mouthfeel was light,airy, about right for the style. The taste was awfully muted, kind of bitter in total. It tasted imbalanced in terms of its hops/malt ratio to the point that I might have guessed Czech Pils instead, but even then, it would be too muted. Finish semi-dry and generally pretty innocuous, lacking any kind of Ooomph! I realize that a lot of western brewers, including my Westie cuz at Ballast Point, are dabbling in lager-style beers, but as an unapologetic lager-slurpin' Pennsylvanian, this needs work. I am not saying that it was bad or undrinkable, neither being the case, but it was not up to par. MUCH better iterations of the style to put in the cooler exist.

3.56/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very nice big white head settles into a thin lacing above a clear pale golden colored beer.

A light skunky aroma turns into a light sweet malt blended with a bit of sour hops.

Light sweet malts blend well with light sour hops on a light tasting pilsner.

A lightly sourish dry aftertaste on this light bodied beer.

A light tasting pilsner that I rather like, I'm not a big fan of the big pilsner taste.

Boater Beer from Eddyline Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.