Gold Star Dark Lager - Tempo Beer Industries LTD

Munich Dunkel Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: RocketWidget on 08-10-2004

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.66/5  rDev +54.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a top Israeli beer . Drank it couple of times.
It is a lager with a reach taste like ale .
The resamblance in taste is to the hoegaarden. It is the lager mate of the hoegaarden. Hoegarden has more complicated aroma but the resamblance in taste is the .
I think Gold star is one of the best lagers outthere.
As hoegaarden is one of the best ale outthere .
If you"ll test hoegaarden snd Goldstar side by side you will feel the resamblance.
To be like hoegaarden you must be a very good beer.

4.47/5  rDev +48.5%

When I am in Israel, Gold Star is the beer I drink the most of. It normally available on tap in most bars.

Dark caramel with a light head.

Mildly hoppy with some malt

Delicious! If there were a beer I could serve to both BMC disciples and my friends who apreciate real beer, this would be that beer.

Not too heavy, not too light, just right.

I could easily drink 5 or 6 of these in a sitting.

Great basic, not expansive, Israeli beer. If you're ever in Israel try only this (Not Macabi or Nesher!!!). Nice, rich, caramel-like and even better from the tap. not too strong and not too rich, but fairly priced.
This is Israeli pride (and you can ask anyone here and they'll say the same)

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

In Israel Goldstar is available everywhere in cans and bottles, but it's better to consume it on draught. This brand is slowly disappearing from fancy pubs but still is served in most of Israeli cafes. The colour is copper-red or dark amber, whatever you like. The taste is simple but good balance is a fair compensation for lack of sofistication. Hearty beer, not strong but certainly not bland, designed for consuming in large volumes.

3.8/5  rDev +26.2%

Presentation- 500 ml brown glass bottle with freshness date marked on the glass just below the neck.

A- Produces a nice thick white creamy head which lasts for a short while and then becomes close cropped and thin. There is some lacing. The color can be described as dark amber. Lots of tiny bubbles.

S- Malty, some hops, grainy, grassy and some bitterness.

T- Malty sweetness, some hops, bread, slightly bitter finish.

M- Lively, lots carbonation, medium bodied with a nice creamy feel.

D- Not outstanding, but, it lives up to its expectations as a beer which was meant to be consumed in large quantities at Mangals (Israeli BBQ s). I cold have a few of these along with some kebabs and skewers of meat.

Photo of
3.56/5  rDev +18.3%

Served in a 16 oz glass,

Appearance was good - lingering head and nice color. Lots of carbonation.

Smells and tastes like half ale/half lager. There is a faint dry red wine characteristic to this beer that would be excellent if it were more pronounced. I admit I drank this begrudgingly, but was pleasantly surprised and would order again.

3.55/5  rDev +17.9%

Brought by a friend who lives in Tel Aviv, apparently this is one of their "go to" beers.

Pours a nice amber color with a large white head, dissipated after a while.

Aroma is interesting, can't put my finger on it; somewhat fruity.

Taste; some grains and a bit of grassy hops.

Overall; I didn't care for the mouthfeel, it was really lacking crispness which I think would have helped it a lot.

If I find myself in Israel, which odds are I will in the "near" future, I would have no problem drinking this.

3.51/5  rDev +16.6%

The first time I had this beer was in Jerusalem when I was 17. I knew it's wasn't amazing, but after a few weeks of Tuborg, Carslberg, and Maccabee, this was a giant step up.

Appearance: The pour is copper with a nice covering of white head.

Smell: There's sweet bready malts with a bit of toasted aroma and a hint of hops in the nose.

Taste: This is better than I remembered/expected it to beer. It's malt-forward with bready, caramel, toasted, and nutty flavors in front of grain and noble hops.

Mouthfeel: It's medium-bodied with a bit of stickiness and carbonation that's soft, but not lacking.

Drinkability: This is a quaffable brew. I don't generally love this style, but this one works for me.

3.45/5  rDev +14.6%

It's been since 1998 on a stay in a kibbutz that I imbibed my fair share of gold star. We would buy cases of bottles and go through them on the weekends. Nothing special about this beer but it was quite easy to drink with a dark gold color and taste that placed it above most us macrobrews.

3.39/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Goldstar has a thick, creamy, slightly off-white head, a very clear, amber, bubbly appearance, with thin lacing left here and there on the sides of the glass. The aroma is of musty, old malts, some molasses, and turned fruit notes. Taste is of that as well, with essentially no bitterness, but with an overriding old sugar character. Mouthfeel is light to medium and fairly prickly, and Goldstar finishes semi-dry, refreshing, and easily drinkable. I would like to try a sample that I knew was fresh. Overall, I rate this one good, but odd.

3.36/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some malts. Taste is crisp, plenty of malts and slightly sweet. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a fairly good beer.

3.31/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a finger of head on a clear, dark straw colored body.
The aroma was roasted malt with some extra wetness to it.
Pretty tasty. It has an initial roasted malt taste that peters off to a mild bitter.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
Nothing amazing but nice and drinkable.

3.26/5  rDev +8.3%

Y'know, I sometimes wonder where and how my local, in person trader, tone77, comes up with some of the beers that he drops off for me. Israeli beer, this time! I love Israel, having been in Haifa several times, say no more. Cue up Siouxsie & the Banshees doing "Israel". My mother qualifies to be a Blue Star Mother, but thankfully not a Gold Star Mother. Enough random thoughts, let's drink a beer!

From the bottle: "Premium Beer"; "Our genuine taste since 1950".

My pour netted two fingers of rocky, fizzy, tawny head with moderate retention. Color was more towards a coppery amber (SRM = ~ 22) than I would expect from the style and with NE-quality clarity. Nose revealed one big malt bomb. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste reminded me of brown bread. I have written before about B&M brown bread, but this seems like what it would taste like in liquid form. Obviously, this was a very bready beer. Finish was semi-sweet with a lot of the fermentable sugars having been converted into alcohol. Impressive? Not so much. Cool as a novelty from Israel? Heck, yes!

3.21/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I had a bottle of this at a restaurant in Hell's Kitchen called Taboon (52nd and 10th Ave). It had a thick, white, foamy head and had a reddish/copper color to it. Definitely had a malty scent to it with a mix of hops.

For a lager it had a decent toasted, nut taste to it. It was slightly carbonated and goes down very easy. Not a bad lager at all.

3.16/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a four finger light cream head that fades quickly leaving traces of lace. Almost clear amber color. Good carbonation and light-medium bodied. Malty nose. Flavor is light caramel malt, hops stay in background. Good lawnmower beer. 330ml bottle from Gift Specialists Oceanside, California.

3.15/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this beer on tap in Tel Aviv... A darker light-brown lager with a somewhat average appearance poured with minimal or no head... There really wasn't much to judge by way of smell... the beer had a grainy aroma which didn't stand out but instead blends in with most other lagers... The taste was good, but nothing to write home about... wasn't expecting much but it didn't dissapoint... somewhat sweet, bready flavors lend an average mouthfeel... Seemed lighter on tap than in bottle form, but either way, the drinkability is very good... goes down light and smooth with a modest alcohol percentage... Haven't seen this one in America, but worth a try if you can find it in Europe...

3.1/5  rDev +3%

Very mediocre darkish lager. Haven't had it in almost 10 years, but I figure that I've consumed more of this than any other single beer, since I was living in Israel during my drinking-to-get-tanked phase before I began to 'respect beer.' Anyway, when you consider the lack of variety at my disposal and the amount I drank, more of htis HAS to have passed thru my system than any other beer. Because even back then my taste was discerning enough to avoid Maccabi.

Basically average in almost every respect.

3.1/5  rDev +3%

330ml bottle with a description I cannot read. It says on the front in English "Our Genuine taste since 1950." My Mom and Dad picked this up for me on their recent trip to Jerusalem. Poured into an American pint.

A- Pours with an extra large fizzy head that is customary for many adjunct lagers. The difference is this one is off white and thicker than I'm used to. It dissipates slower too and leaves some decent pillows. The color is dark to amber gold and is clean as can be.

S- Sweet caramel, toffee, toasted grains, raw barley, clean and crisp hops on the end. It's a little fruity, smelling somewhere between a grape and a raisin, but this is subtle. The whole aroma is subdued, but again this is in an American pint glass, so yeah. Overall nothing off putting.

T- Faint caramel and grains, tiny amount of that fruit character, and then stale hop finish. I'm not impressed.

M- Watery with super tiny carb bubbles that are barely noticeable except for the rough dry finish.

O- The aroma and look on this one aren't too bad, but the taste and mouthfeel are totally disappointing. I can't say for sure if anything went wrong in the transportation process, but the stale character of the hops could point to oxidation. I don't hate it, but barely a step up from American adjuncts.

3.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a clear orange-brown with a foamy beige head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small swaths of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of toast, caramel, and nut aromas. Taste is much the same with sweet caramel and fruit flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of toast bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer that is drinkable, but it's pretty sweet and unmemorable to me.

Serving type: bottle.

3.06/5  rDev +1.7%

33cl Brown bottle brought back by my daughter and her husband while on holiday in and around Isreal, Egypt and Jordon.

Poured into a Budweiser Budvar stemmed goblet: Clear, dull golden coloured body, huge snow white crown on top, bubbles rising through the beer to greet and meet their mates in the head. Unlike so many beers in the lager/pilsner classes, this kept it's lovely head throughout the review, makes a pleasant change.

Odourless, gets my usual score of 3 for a non-smelling lager/pilsner. Long grass and grains might have been in the aroma, but not enough to write about. Even as the beer warmed a little in the glass, nothing worthy of mention came into my nose.

The taste is of weak, pale malts and hidden hops, nothing strong or assertive, pleasant enough but nothing exciting or different.

In short a 'run of the Mill' lager from a strange and distant land, without any distictive attributes or factors.

3.06/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden in color with minimal white head. Carbonation is not too strong. Aroma is weak - some hops and bready malt notes. This beer is fairly tasty. Nothing too complex, but nice taste on a tongue. Very drinkable.

Now, I would like to note that I was surprised to see that it's supposed to be Munich dark lager style. Maybe I am not familiar with the style, but it didn't seem to match the description. I didn't find this beer to be rich or complex.

This is my first aluminum bottle, and I must say that there is a benefit of being able to print the design over the whole bottle rather than just the label. Looks cool. Thanks to my uncle for bringing this all the way from Israel. The only words in English on the bottle were "Genuine draft." Apparently, this is more important than the name of the brewery or the beer.

3.03/5  rDev +0.7%

Picked up a bottle from Abe's Cold Beer. It wasn't dated, but it also wasn't dusty, so I ave it a shot. It appears a clear amber, more like an Oktoberfest than a Dunkel. It also tastes more like an export lager, with sweet bready malt, at first. Once it warms a touch though, there's a dry caramel note for the finish with a little yeasty bite. This beer reminds me, sort of, of Yuengling, as an easy to drink probably-adjunct lager. It's largely inoffensive and has some pleasant character. If you're curious and want to try an Israeli beer, grab this one.

Light amber colored beer with a rapidly fading head.I really didn't get much on aroma.Taste is kind of bready and bitter.This is something that is the perfect definition of bland.Well I tried it once and that is enough.You are not missing anything if you never drink one!!

A fairly average beer, but it'll do in a pinch.
Pours out tan/brown with just a hint of head. Nose is oddly corn-y. Not much happening. Taste is lager-ish, perhaps with slight bread hints. Not offensive at all. Mouthfeel is a tiny bit thin.
Good drinkability, I suppose!

2.98/5  rDev -1%

$5 for a 330ml brown bottle at Quencher's Saloon in Chicago. Don't think there's a freshness date on it but can't be sure as the entire label is written in Hebrew. This is my first Israeli beer.

The beer pours a perfectly clear amber color with a 1 finger white head that dissipates in about 45 seconds. Just a few spots for lace.

Very little smell to this. You might get some bready malt if you breath in hard.

On the sweet and malty side. Caramel dominates the flavor. Virtually hopless, but with a surprising alcoholic bite despite the low abv.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation.

It's drinkable but not that memorable .

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast