Gold Star Dark Lager - Tempo Beer Industries LTD

Gold Star Dark LagerGold Star Dark Lager

Tempo Beer Industries LTD visit their website
Israel

Munich Dunkel Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: RocketWidget on 08-10-2004)
4.53/5  rDev +48.5%

When I am in Israel, Gold Star is the beer I drink the most of. It normally available on tap in most bars.

Appearance:
Dark caramel with a light head.

Smell:
Mildly hoppy with some malt

Taste:
Delicious! If there were a beer I could serve to both BMC disciples and my friends who apreciate real beer, this would be that beer.

Mouthfeel:
Not too heavy, not too light, just right.

Drinkability:
I could easily drink 5 or 6 of these in a sitting.

JamesC7625, Feb 25, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +47.5%

Dapperticus, Apr 13, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +39.3%

SoCaliC8, Jan 16, 2014

danotronik, Nov 30, 2011

doublehighjeff, Nov 23, 2011

TrickkyGangsta, Dec 05, 2011

Great basic, not expansive, Israeli beer. If you're ever in Israel try only this (Not Macabi or Nesher!!!). Nice, rich, caramel-like and even better from the tap. not too strong and not too rich, but fairly priced.
This is Israeli pride (and you can ask anyone here and they'll say the same)

anakar, Nov 26, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +25.6%

Presentation- 500 ml brown glass bottle with freshness date marked on the glass just below the neck.

A- Produces a nice thick white creamy head which lasts for a short while and then becomes close cropped and thin. There is some lacing. The color can be described as dark amber. Lots of tiny bubbles.

S- Malty, some hops, grainy, grassy and some bitterness.

T- Malty sweetness, some hops, bread, slightly bitter finish.

M- Lively, lots carbonation, medium bodied with a nice creamy feel.

D- Not outstanding, but, it lives up to its expectations as a beer which was meant to be consumed in large quantities at Mangals (Israeli BBQ s). I cold have a few of these along with some kebabs and skewers of meat.

Faune, Feb 03, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +23.9%

In Israel Goldstar is available everywhere in cans and bottles, but it's better to consume it on draught. This brand is slowly disappearing from fancy pubs but still is served in most of Israeli cafes. The colour is copper-red or dark amber, whatever you like. The taste is simple but good balance is a fair compensation for lack of sofistication. Hearty beer, not strong but certainly not bland, designed for consuming in large volumes.

ernie, Jun 07, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +23%

patre_tim, Jun 20, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +23%

GabooL457, Oct 07, 2012
Photo of
3.58/5  rDev +17.4%

Served in a 16 oz glass,

Appearance was good - lingering head and nice color. Lots of carbonation.

Smells and tastes like half ale/half lager. There is a faint dry red wine characteristic to this beer that would be excellent if it were more pronounced. I admit I drank this begrudgingly, but was pleasantly surprised and would order again.

, Jun 27, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +16.4%

Brought by a friend who lives in Tel Aviv, apparently this is one of their "go to" beers.

Pours a nice amber color with a large white head, dissipated after a while.

Aroma is interesting, can't put my finger on it; somewhat fruity.

Taste; some grains and a bit of grassy hops.

Overall; I didn't care for the mouthfeel, it was really lacking crispness which I think would have helped it a lot.

If I find myself in Israel, which odds are I will in the "near" future, I would have no problem drinking this.

pixieskid, Nov 02, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +15.7%

The first time I had this beer was in Jerusalem when I was 17. I knew it's wasn't amazing, but after a few weeks of Tuborg, Carslberg, and Maccabee, this was a giant step up.

Appearance: The pour is copper with a nice covering of white head.

Smell: There's sweet bready malts with a bit of toasted aroma and a hint of hops in the nose.

Taste: This is better than I remembered/expected it to beer. It's malt-forward with bready, caramel, toasted, and nutty flavors in front of grain and noble hops.

Mouthfeel: It's medium-bodied with a bit of stickiness and carbonation that's soft, but not lacking.

Drinkability: This is a quaffable brew. I don't generally love this style, but this one works for me.

goschool, May 03, 2007

BeerBeerBeer, Jan 29, 2013

abcdefghijkyle, Apr 01, 2014

Bandi, Jan 19, 2014

paulish, Apr 13, 2014

dweeuu, Jun 26, 2013

tangoafterdark, Feb 05, 2014
3.48/5  rDev +14.1%

It's been since 1998 on a stay in a kibbutz that I imbibed my fair share of gold star. We would buy cases of bottles and go through them on the weekends. Nothing special about this beer but it was quite easy to drink with a dark gold color and taste that placed it above most us macrobrews.

atuite, Feb 27, 2007
3.4/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Goldstar has a thick, creamy, slightly off-white head, a very clear, amber, bubbly appearance, with thin lacing left here and there on the sides of the glass. The aroma is of musty, old malts, some molasses, and turned fruit notes. Taste is of that as well, with essentially no bitterness, but with an overriding old sugar character. Mouthfeel is light to medium and fairly prickly, and Goldstar finishes semi-dry, refreshing, and easily drinkable. I would like to try a sample that I knew was fresh. Overall, I rate this one good, but odd.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Aug 22, 2013
3.38/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some malts. Taste is crisp, plenty of malts and slightly sweet. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a fairly good beer.

tone77, Dec 27, 2009
3.3/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a finger of head on a clear, dark straw colored body.
The aroma was roasted malt with some extra wetness to it.
Pretty tasty. It has an initial roasted malt taste that peters off to a mild bitter.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
Nothing amazing but nice and drinkable.

Fatehunter, Jun 15, 2013
3.28/5  rDev +7.5%

Y'know, I sometimes wonder where and how my local, in person trader, tone77, comes up with some of the beers that he drops off for me. Israeli beer, this time! I love Israel, having been in Haifa several times, say no more. Cue up Siouxsie & the Banshees doing "Israel". My mother qualifies to be a Blue Star Mother, but thankfully not a Gold Star Mother. Enough random thoughts, let's drink a beer!

From the bottle: "Premium Beer"; "Our genuine taste since 1950".

My pour netted two fingers of rocky, fizzy, tawny head with moderate retention. Color was more towards a coppery amber (SRM = ~ 22) than I would expect from the style and with NE-quality clarity. Nose revealed one big malt bomb. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste reminded me of brown bread. I have written before about B&M brown bread, but this seems like what it would taste like in liquid form. Obviously, this was a very bready beer. Finish was semi-sweet with a lot of the fermentable sugars having been converted into alcohol. Impressive? Not so much. Cool as a novelty from Israel? Heck, yes!

woodychandler, Oct 13, 2013