White Birch Berliner Weisse - White Birch Brewing

White Birch Brewing visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Our approach was to brew this beer with Lactobacilius for a refreshing and authentic interpretation of a classic summer refresher.

(Beer added by: barleywinebrewer on 06-22-2010)

rab53, Dec 10, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +33.2%

This is easily one of the best session beers I have ever had, hands down. Served cold and poured into my new White Birch glass, this one was consumed on 07/25/2010.

Pours out a bright golden color with a huge amount of cloudiness to it. Barely can see through this to the other side but ample carbonation did continue to stream up throughout the session. Little head of white on top settles down quickly leading only mild lacing on the glass, but a really nice look overall.

Aroma drops me to my knees. Wonderfully crisp, clean, tart aroma quickly fills the air. Hints of apples, light touches of citrus, a light bready note all combine to form this crisp, clean profile that cuts through the 105 degree air around me. Then I take the first sip and all bets are off. This is simply a marvelous beer to behold. I cannot say enough how clean this is. Wonderful tart green apples blending with hints of light orange peel and lemon. Herbal grasses fill the profile mid palate and give it that depth but flowery notes keep it light and airy. Super quick, clean and dry finish leaves a tart flavor on the tongue that will not go away. So light and refreshing I melted into a chair (mostly from the heat) but this was just so session able I was beside myself.

Overall simply amazing, one of the best I have ever come across hands down, I would love to be able to have this all the time, but on these hot days, it is a must.

mikesgroove, Jul 27, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +32.7%

I've been trying a great deal of sours lately including a few varieties of Berliners.

Pours a light yellow with some haze and a bright white head that doesn't last. Sure looks like a summertime brew!

Smell is reminiscent of plain yogurt with lemons and tart green apples and some mild funk.

Taste is sharp and tart with some citrus and bread notes. The sourness hits quickly with zero bitterness and finishes smooth and dry.

This is so, so, so drinkable. I am shocked this weighs in at close to 6.5.

This is a fantastic representation, and one of the best "sour beers" that I've had. White Birch is producing some amazing brews, with the only downside being the high pricepoint that is typically associated with quality small batch brewing.

jstilwell, Jul 30, 2010

alamode, Jun 10, 2013

T_rizzo, Dec 18, 2013

csustar001, Jun 12, 2013

ackbarleywine, Jun 25, 2013

mikelover, Jun 06, 2014
4.65/5  rDev +27.7%

Presentation: Batch One, bottle 729. Poured from the bottle into my Allagash white glass. This is the fourth time I have grabbed a couple bottles of this beer. Very excited to see more on the shelf when I went to the store today.

Appearance: Yellowish white in color and hazy throughout. No much sediment floating around, just a solid haze. Pours a two finger white fizzy head taht recedes into nothing within seconds.

Aroma: Tart lemon and green apples are strong in the nose. A pronouced barnyard funk there as well. Even some bananna notes hidden in there too.

Taste: Immediately sour lemon rushes forth and takes charge. The lacto gives this nice barnyard muskiness to the brew. Tart green apples fill this out to make this a nicely balanced brew.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and crisp. Stays refreshing throughout.

Drinkability: Even with the elevated ABV for the style, I find this to be one of the more drinkable brews I've had. By that I mean that I could easily see having three of these with laying in the sun. The refreshment factor here puts it over the top.

Overall, a great interpretation of this style and an immediate favorite summer beer for me. This is my sixth or seventh bottle already and I plan on having more. Highly recommended.

Gosox8787, Aug 05, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +26.4%

500 ml bottle poured into a weizen glass.
Batch One, Bottle count 1164, 6.8% ABV, Bottled Marhc 2012. "Our ales are unfiltered and bottle conditioned. Best served at 50-55°F in your favorite glass."

Thanks to Rocheford10nh, celeriac, and Wisrarebeer for bottles of this!!

A - Totally hazed through pale yellow beer pours into the glass, forming a tall could-white head which froths up loosely then sinks right back down due to the acidity. The glass is void of any lace or foam.

S - Completely unique upon first whiff, there's a strong sour wet wheat that's powerful in the nose, erupting into the air with a potent presence. Wood chips and pale malts come through while hops are rather absent. Sour nose with some good acidity.

T - Sharp lemony citrus opens the flavor and lingers through with a sour bite of acidity and wet, strong wheat. Pale malt is subtle, letting the wheat do most of the work, but this earthy flavored beer finishes out with an acidic kick.

M - Highly carbonated, White Birch's Berliner Weisse is pretty dang refreshing due to it's nicely balanced feel; a finish that has a great tart acidity and sour bite on the tongue, all while remaining smooth.

O - Highly drinkable and refreshing, White Birch's Berliner Weisse is the perfect refresher for a hot summer day, or delicious sour power for any other time. It's well-balanced and nicely sour without being too mouth-puckering. It's easy to see why this is a style that's getting much more attention.

BeerFMAndy, Aug 10, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thank you Suzanne for sending me this one!!

A - Pours an opaque pale yellow with a little head.

S - Smells great! Sour lemons and oranges hit first along with wheat and funk.

T - Tastes of tart lemons and citrus, not as tart as i'd like it to be but it's still great. I can definitely taste the wheat in the background.

M - What I love is after each sip I'm waiting to pucker from the tartness but it never comes. Some sour is good but I am not a fan of so much sour that it makes my cheeks hurt. This is very well balanced and very refreshing.

D - My first beer from White Birch and I can't wait to try more. I would definitely drink more of this if I could get my hands on it. Not my favorite berliner weisse but it is a great attempt at one.

thehbchemistry, Oct 07, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Received from Cuzco (Nate) in the Blind Beer #3 BIF. Thanks Nate!!

Poured into a MJ tasting glass. Poured very cloudy, extremely pale yellow, with a fizzy head that was gone before I sat down the glass, kinda like club soda.

One whiff and you know it's a berliner weisse. Sour notes, lactic sour. No malt or hop aromas. Aside from the lactic sourness, a very clean, almost chaulky note in the aroma.

First sip is sour, tart, mouth puckering. Quite a punch. Some lemon tartness, and an alkalinity like club soda.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery, very prickly from the carbonation. After the first sip, I don't feel like my mouth is going to cave in from the sourness.

Highly drinkable beer. This would be fantastic on a hot summer afternoon, sitting in an outdoor cafe in the city, watching all the pretty people wish they were drinking my beer. Alcohol is a little high for the style, but it really doesn't come through.

JamnesCameron, Dec 03, 2010

Snow81, Aug 22, 2013

Flaherbear, Aug 11, 2014

irv2424, May 07, 2013

thatisgrossman, Apr 19, 2014

StrayteEDGE, Sep 05, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

A -pours a very hazy pale yellow without much of a head - however the carbonation was crackling on the pour

S - smells sour and lemony with faint grape and white pepper notes

T - starts off with spritzy wheat malts that are quickly replaced by a nice combination of refreshing lemon and vinous champagne. Ends with a citrusy sourness and a very faint bleach flavor. Fantastic!

M - bubbly, champagne-like with a medium body that does a good job at masking the abv. Awesome mouthfeel to it.

D - very impressed with this one...I can see why this style was referred to as the champagne of the north. Great sour notes with a refreshing finish and mouthfeel. I don't know if it's the temperature outside or my new dive into the sour realm, but I could drink this one all day.

birchstick, May 06, 2011

boxer0029, Jun 10, 2014

FrankLloydMike, Dec 12, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +22.8%

Batch 1
Bottle 1404 of 1458

Poured from 1Pt. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a clear pale yellow with a slight haze. A finger of foamy white head that dissipated quickly from my glass and left no lacing but was quite bubbly.

The smell is a bit funky at first, some sour flavor leads into a white grape flavor with a small touch of currants. Some slight green apple flavor is there as well with some slight bitter hop flavor just in the back.

The taste has a slight sour grape or apple flavor and reminds me slightly of white wine. There is a good fruity tartness that has a wiggling sourness that makes me pucker but makes me want more. There a nice sweet flavor that is a little like sugar but may come from the malts that gives this beer a nice zing. Sour patch kids come to mind, a sugary sweetness with a sour flavor as well.

The feel of this beer seems light but it's complex flavor seems to be handled with two hands. There is a lot to pay attention to in this beer and can go unnoticed if you are not looking hard enough.

Duhast500, Dec 30, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A fine example of an American Berliner Weisse. Really is. The real deal here. My mini-review, from notes:

A. Hazy pale straw, short, fizzy head that falls to naught. Of course, cloudy, as it should be.

S. Ah ha! Sour-lemon, wheat, very fresh and clean, yet almost soft. Pale and no hops to be found, just that sort of 'raw' wheat and grain bill, perhaps a little grassy, tempered with sour-mash goodness.

T. Long sour lemon, dry, grainy, quite good. This is 6.4%? Clean, refreshing, eye-opening . Simple, direct, cleansing. Gosh, I don't know what to say... I want more though.

M / D. Well nigh perfect, they've nailed this one. Full carbonation, spritzy, long, inviting more.

This is my first White Birch beer, but I have to say, they've got this one down cold. If you like Berliner Weisse on the bigger, sourer side, like I do, then this is one to seek out. Nicely done, chaps! Thanks to Todes and Bobby8405 for sharing.

kkipple, Nov 26, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled: March 2012

A: Pale golden in color with a fizzy, white head. Not much to speak of. No lace or retention whatsoever.

S: Plenty of funk, sour, barn, grass, fruit. Complex nose.

T: Intensely refreshing and sour. Great wheat backbone. Much funkier than I expected. This is my second beer of this style and I had high hopes. They were definitely surpassed. This is a great beer. Lots of great fruity, yeasty, earthy flavors.

M: Very effervescent but the right amount of carbonation for the style, nicely soured, and highly drinkable. A hint of booze in the finish because the ABV is higher than is traditional.

O: I don't know why this beer is getting low marks. Maybe there is huge variation in how the wild yeast strains treated it or how it was stored for the past few months since being brewed. But, in my opinion, this is how the style should taste. It's a very refreshing and tasty brew that I thoroughly enjoyed drinking.

Gatch, Jul 17, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +21.7%

Batch 1, Bottle 39 poured into my Delirium snifter

A: Pours a hazy golden color, almost lemon yellow, with a pure white two finger head after an aggressive pour that immediately disappears to leave a light ring of head around the glass and there is no lacing. Very active nucleation due to the etching in my glass.

S: Smells of green apples and lemon zest immediately, bready yeasts with lots of funk too. Cidery. Some horse blanket aroma along with vinegar, and oddly enough a slight salty aroma that reminds me of procsciutto.

T: Immediately pick up on the apple and grape like sour flavors coupled with a bitter/sour lemon zest flavor which gives to a sweet white cranberry juice like flavor. Very tart and puckering, but sweet at the same time. Lemonade and cider like in flavor for sure, but with more to it. Peppery and bready yeast flavors pull through with a nutty malt finish. Very clean taste that is crisp and clear that doesn't linger besides a tart/sour flavor on the tip of my tongue.

M: Very carbonated and a slightly thin body. Feels like a champagne when I drink it. Slick feel to this beer too.

D: Incredibly delicious beer with a great feel. Light, crisp, clean, and extremely refreshing, especially on a hot and humid day like today. Bought a bottle after tasting it tonight and talking with the brewer/owner, Bill. Great guy who really puts a great deal of effort and thought into his brewing, and it shows. I could drink this very regularly and be quite happy with keeping this on hand consistently. Great job guys!

kbanks13, Jul 30, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured from a bottle into a perfect pint. The beer is a very light, very hazy opaque yellow. It almost looks like carbonated lemonade it's so light. There is a thin white frothy head that quickly fades to nothing, leaving behind small traces of oily lacing, but not much.

The smell is sour lemons with slight hints of apricots, and a grainy, hazy malt and hay. The smell is very straightforward, slightly sour, and inviting without being complex.

The taste is much more sour than the nose let on. The acidic lemon sourness is first and foremost, but it's very clean and appealing. There is a slight balance of crisp wheat and some hay, but the finish is more refreshing acidic lemon.

The beer is very light, well carbonated and crisp. The acidic lemon tartness and the dry finish make this a refreshing beer that is perfect for summertime. At almost 6.5% it packs a better punch than other Berliner Weisse's I have had, but it's welcome, as the alcohol doesn't hinder the flavor or drinkability what-so-ever.

rpstevens, Jul 06, 2010