White Birch Berliner Weisse - White Birch Brewing

New Hampshire, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: barleywinebrewer on 06-22-2010

Our approach was to brew this beer with Lactobacilius for a refreshing and authentic interpretation of a classic summer refresher.
4.82/5  rDev +32.4%

This is easily one of the best session beers I have ever had, hands down. Served cold and poured into my new White Birch glass, this one was consumed on 07/25/2010.

Pours out a bright golden color with a huge amount of cloudiness to it. Barely can see through this to the other side but ample carbonation did continue to stream up throughout the session. Little head of white on top settles down quickly leading only mild lacing on the glass, but a really nice look overall.

Aroma drops me to my knees. Wonderfully crisp, clean, tart aroma quickly fills the air. Hints of apples, light touches of citrus, a light bready note all combine to form this crisp, clean profile that cuts through the 105 degree air around me. Then I take the first sip and all bets are off. This is simply a marvelous beer to behold. I cannot say enough how clean this is. Wonderful tart green apples blending with hints of light orange peel and lemon. Herbal grasses fill the profile mid palate and give it that depth but flowery notes keep it light and airy. Super quick, clean and dry finish leaves a tart flavor on the tongue that will not go away. So light and refreshing I melted into a chair (mostly from the heat) but this was just so session able I was beside myself.

Overall simply amazing, one of the best I have ever come across hands down, I would love to be able to have this all the time, but on these hot days, it is a must.

4.8/5  rDev +31.9%

I've been trying a great deal of sours lately including a few varieties of Berliners.

Pours a light yellow with some haze and a bright white head that doesn't last. Sure looks like a summertime brew!

Smell is reminiscent of plain yogurt with lemons and tart green apples and some mild funk.

Taste is sharp and tart with some citrus and bread notes. The sourness hits quickly with zero bitterness and finishes smooth and dry.

This is so, so, so drinkable. I am shocked this weighs in at close to 6.5.

This is a fantastic representation, and one of the best "sour beers" that I've had. White Birch is producing some amazing brews, with the only downside being the high pricepoint that is typically associated with quality small batch brewing.

4.65/5  rDev +27.7%

Presentation: Batch One, bottle 729. Poured from the bottle into my Allagash white glass. This is the fourth time I have grabbed a couple bottles of this beer. Very excited to see more on the shelf when I went to the store today.

Appearance: Yellowish white in color and hazy throughout. No much sediment floating around, just a solid haze. Pours a two finger white fizzy head taht recedes into nothing within seconds.

Aroma: Tart lemon and green apples are strong in the nose. A pronouced barnyard funk there as well. Even some bananna notes hidden in there too.

Taste: Immediately sour lemon rushes forth and takes charge. The lacto gives this nice barnyard muskiness to the brew. Tart green apples fill this out to make this a nicely balanced brew.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and crisp. Stays refreshing throughout.

Drinkability: Even with the elevated ABV for the style, I find this to be one of the more drinkable brews I've had. By that I mean that I could easily see having three of these with laying in the sun. The refreshment factor here puts it over the top.

Overall, a great interpretation of this style and an immediate favorite summer beer for me. This is my sixth or seventh bottle already and I plan on having more. Highly recommended.

4.64/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Severely crushable. I waited a while to rate this one - the first year was amazingly sour, the following year there was some funky stuff going on and the last two years White Birch has nailed their process down. This beer is one you could drink all day - it's bright, light and has a great balance of sour and citrus... carbonated to perfection so you're not burping it up all afternoon. Amazing.

4.63/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I've never had a Berliner Weisse before, so it was hard for me to rate this. I was looking for a beer equivalent for a pre-dinner dry champagne, and I think this fit the bill just fine.

Appearance: cloudy straw colored. Some carbonation, not overly spritzy but not subdued either. Was served in a pilsner glass which accentuated the color and the bubbling.

Aroma: it smelled sour, but was not offensive. It had some tart fruit (lemons, etc) and a wheaty smell.

Taste: it was tart, but not over the top, not as tart as other sour beers I've had. Not as tart as sweet-tart candies, for example; it didn't make us pucker up. The wheat backbone gave a nice earthy base that balanced the other flavors of lemon and candied orange peel before those mellowed out and the tartness subsided. It tasted dry, like a dry yeasty champagne.

Mouthfeel: it was light, but surprisingly complex. It's not filling and easy to drink.

Overall: the 22-oz bottle is a little much for one person, find a friend with some cheese and crackers and enjoy a little happy hour.

4.6/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thank you Suzanne for sending me this one!!

A - Pours an opaque pale yellow with a little head.

S - Smells great! Sour lemons and oranges hit first along with wheat and funk.

T - Tastes of tart lemons and citrus, not as tart as i'd like it to be but it's still great. I can definitely taste the wheat in the background.

M - What I love is after each sip I'm waiting to pucker from the tartness but it never comes. Some sour is good but I am not a fan of so much sour that it makes my cheeks hurt. This is very well balanced and very refreshing.

D - My first beer from White Birch and I can't wait to try more. I would definitely drink more of this if I could get my hands on it. Not my favorite berliner weisse but it is a great attempt at one.

4.59/5  rDev +26.1%

500 ml bottle poured into a weizen glass.
Batch One, Bottle count 1164, 6.8% ABV, Bottled Marhc 2012. "Our ales are unfiltered and bottle conditioned. Best served at 50-55°F in your favorite glass."

Thanks to Rocheford10nh, celeriac, and Wisrarebeer for bottles of this!!

A - Totally hazed through pale yellow beer pours into the glass, forming a tall could-white head which froths up loosely then sinks right back down due to the acidity. The glass is void of any lace or foam.

S - Completely unique upon first whiff, there's a strong sour wet wheat that's powerful in the nose, erupting into the air with a potent presence. Wood chips and pale malts come through while hops are rather absent. Sour nose with some good acidity.

T - Sharp lemony citrus opens the flavor and lingers through with a sour bite of acidity and wet, strong wheat. Pale malt is subtle, letting the wheat do most of the work, but this earthy flavored beer finishes out with an acidic kick.

M - Highly carbonated, White Birch's Berliner Weisse is pretty dang refreshing due to it's nicely balanced feel; a finish that has a great tart acidity and sour bite on the tongue, all while remaining smooth.

O - Highly drinkable and refreshing, White Birch's Berliner Weisse is the perfect refresher for a hot summer day, or delicious sour power for any other time. It's well-balanced and nicely sour without being too mouth-puckering. It's easy to see why this is a style that's getting much more attention.

4.55/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Received from Cuzco (Nate) in the Blind Beer #3 BIF. Thanks Nate!!

Poured into a MJ tasting glass. Poured very cloudy, extremely pale yellow, with a fizzy head that was gone before I sat down the glass, kinda like club soda.

One whiff and you know it's a berliner weisse. Sour notes, lactic sour. No malt or hop aromas. Aside from the lactic sourness, a very clean, almost chaulky note in the aroma.

First sip is sour, tart, mouth puckering. Quite a punch. Some lemon tartness, and an alkalinity like club soda.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery, very prickly from the carbonation. After the first sip, I don't feel like my mouth is going to cave in from the sourness.

Highly drinkable beer. This would be fantastic on a hot summer afternoon, sitting in an outdoor cafe in the city, watching all the pretty people wish they were drinking my beer. Alcohol is a little high for the style, but it really doesn't come through.

4.47/5  rDev +22.8%

Batch 1
Bottle 1404 of 1458

Poured from 1Pt. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a clear pale yellow with a slight haze. A finger of foamy white head that dissipated quickly from my glass and left no lacing but was quite bubbly.

The smell is a bit funky at first, some sour flavor leads into a white grape flavor with a small touch of currants. Some slight green apple flavor is there as well with some slight bitter hop flavor just in the back.

The taste has a slight sour grape or apple flavor and reminds me slightly of white wine. There is a good fruity tartness that has a wiggling sourness that makes me pucker but makes me want more. There a nice sweet flavor that is a little like sugar but may come from the malts that gives this beer a nice zing. Sour patch kids come to mind, a sugary sweetness with a sour flavor as well.

The feel of this beer seems light but it's complex flavor seems to be handled with two hands. There is a lot to pay attention to in this beer and can go unnoticed if you are not looking hard enough.

4.47/5  rDev +22.8%

A -pours a very hazy pale yellow without much of a head - however the carbonation was crackling on the pour

S - smells sour and lemony with faint grape and white pepper notes

T - starts off with spritzy wheat malts that are quickly replaced by a nice combination of refreshing lemon and vinous champagne. Ends with a citrusy sourness and a very faint bleach flavor. Fantastic!

M - bubbly, champagne-like with a medium body that does a good job at masking the abv. Awesome mouthfeel to it.

D - very impressed with this one...I can see why this style was referred to as the champagne of the north. Great sour notes with a refreshing finish and mouthfeel. I don't know if it's the temperature outside or my new dive into the sour realm, but I could drink this one all day.

4.44/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A fine example of an American Berliner Weisse. Really is. The real deal here. My mini-review, from notes:

A. Hazy pale straw, short, fizzy head that falls to naught. Of course, cloudy, as it should be.

S. Ah ha! Sour-lemon, wheat, very fresh and clean, yet almost soft. Pale and no hops to be found, just that sort of 'raw' wheat and grain bill, perhaps a little grassy, tempered with sour-mash goodness.

T. Long sour lemon, dry, grainy, quite good. This is 6.4%? Clean, refreshing, eye-opening . Simple, direct, cleansing. Gosh, I don't know what to say... I want more though.

M / D. Well nigh perfect, they've nailed this one. Full carbonation, spritzy, long, inviting more.

This is my first White Birch beer, but I have to say, they've got this one down cold. If you like Berliner Weisse on the bigger, sourer side, like I do, then this is one to seek out. Nicely done, chaps! Thanks to Todes and Bobby8405 for sharing.

4.44/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled: March 2012

A: Pale golden in color with a fizzy, white head. Not much to speak of. No lace or retention whatsoever.

S: Plenty of funk, sour, barn, grass, fruit. Complex nose.

T: Intensely refreshing and sour. Great wheat backbone. Much funkier than I expected. This is my second beer of this style and I had high hopes. They were definitely surpassed. This is a great beer. Lots of great fruity, yeasty, earthy flavors.

M: Very effervescent but the right amount of carbonation for the style, nicely soured, and highly drinkable. A hint of booze in the finish because the ABV is higher than is traditional.

O: I don't know why this beer is getting low marks. Maybe there is huge variation in how the wild yeast strains treated it or how it was stored for the past few months since being brewed. But, in my opinion, this is how the style should taste. It's a very refreshing and tasty brew that I thoroughly enjoyed drinking.

4.42/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

White Birch Berliner Weisse pours a slightly hazy yellow with a decent head that fades. The aroma is fairly sour and grainy, but not overpowering. The flavor is quite tart, very crisp and refreshing. The sourness hits right away and lingers, the beer is quite dry overall. There is an odd, sour wortiy character in the finish, but it's mild and I'm guessing is a by product of the lacto. I don't have a ton of experience with the style, but this is the best commercial example I'm had.

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%

Batch 1, Bottle 39 poured into my Delirium snifter

A: Pours a hazy golden color, almost lemon yellow, with a pure white two finger head after an aggressive pour that immediately disappears to leave a light ring of head around the glass and there is no lacing. Very active nucleation due to the etching in my glass.

S: Smells of green apples and lemon zest immediately, bready yeasts with lots of funk too. Cidery. Some horse blanket aroma along with vinegar, and oddly enough a slight salty aroma that reminds me of procsciutto.

T: Immediately pick up on the apple and grape like sour flavors coupled with a bitter/sour lemon zest flavor which gives to a sweet white cranberry juice like flavor. Very tart and puckering, but sweet at the same time. Lemonade and cider like in flavor for sure, but with more to it. Peppery and bready yeast flavors pull through with a nutty malt finish. Very clean taste that is crisp and clear that doesn't linger besides a tart/sour flavor on the tip of my tongue.

M: Very carbonated and a slightly thin body. Feels like a champagne when I drink it. Slick feel to this beer too.

D: Incredibly delicious beer with a great feel. Light, crisp, clean, and extremely refreshing, especially on a hot and humid day like today. Bought a bottle after tasting it tonight and talking with the brewer/owner, Bill. Great guy who really puts a great deal of effort and thought into his brewing, and it shows. I could drink this very regularly and be quite happy with keeping this on hand consistently. Great job guys!

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%

Poured from a bottle into a perfect pint. The beer is a very light, very hazy opaque yellow. It almost looks like carbonated lemonade it's so light. There is a thin white frothy head that quickly fades to nothing, leaving behind small traces of oily lacing, but not much.

The smell is sour lemons with slight hints of apricots, and a grainy, hazy malt and hay. The smell is very straightforward, slightly sour, and inviting without being complex.

The taste is much more sour than the nose let on. The acidic lemon sourness is first and foremost, but it's very clean and appealing. There is a slight balance of crisp wheat and some hay, but the finish is more refreshing acidic lemon.

The beer is very light, well carbonated and crisp. The acidic lemon tartness and the dry finish make this a refreshing beer that is perfect for summertime. At almost 6.5% it packs a better punch than other Berliner Weisse's I have had, but it's welcome, as the alcohol doesn't hinder the flavor or drinkability what-so-ever.

4.36/5  rDev +19.8%

Batch 1
Bottle 1357 of 1458

Poured into an Ommegang tulip glass. Forms a big foamy white head at first that quickly subsides leaving only a pale golden yellow body. Slightly hazy and unfiltered. It would be nice to see a little more head retention, but it doesn't looks too bad.

Swirling the glass brings out some crisp, sour, citrus funk. Soured wheat and sweet malts. A little bit of orange and citrus peel. Hay and other earthy notes.

The flavor has lots of sweet citrus followed by lactic sourness. Crisp lemons and malty wheat. Somewhat acidic with floral citrus notes. Light Belgian yeast qualities. Quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is smooth, crisp and sour. Lively, almost spritzy, carbonation. Medium bodied.

Drinkability is very good. This is one quaffable drink. Crisp and refreshing. Perfect for a hot summer day and the ABV is unnoticeable. Really enjoying the lactic sourness.

Overall, it seems that White Birch gets better with every beer they put out. I don't know if I would call this a true Berliner Weisse, but it is a tasty sour wheat ale like the bottle says. Very refreshing and the sourness is about perfect. Fun to drink. Pick a couple up if you can.

4.33/5  rDev +19%

A big thanks to Ryan for sending this to me recently. Shared this one at Sour Fest.

A: The pour is a slightly cloudy pale straw color with a thin white head.

S: The nose is lightly lactic with some popcorn, wheat, yeast, and a bit of spice. There is a slight lactobacillus/bacteria funk to it.

T: A really nice, light beer: just like a Berliner weiss should be. Some lactic tartness, wheat, and a bit of yeast.

M: The body is light with a very crisp and plentiful carbonation.

D: Really easy to drink, like you would expect. Surprisingly high in alcohol for the style (about double the usual), but even at 6+%, not really noticeable.

4.33/5  rDev +19%

Poured 1 Pint .9oz bottle into White Birch signature glass. Bottled June 2, 2010 (986/1458).

A - Poured a light hazy golden yellow with a solid white 2 finger head that dissipated quickly. Towards the bottom of the glass the beer was almost clear. A bit unfiltered at the end of the pour but tried stopping the bottle conditioned goodness from going into the glass, but did take some down the gullet from the bottle and boy was it sour.

S - Clove, with lemon citrus funk. The funkiness is toned down as the beer sits and airs out while drinking but it's still there. Hints of that belgian yeast.

T - Tart sour lemon on the front of the tongue, sour as it hits the side of the tongue and a clove aftertaste upon swallow. After you swallow there are earthy notes mixed with wheat flavor that sets in and you are craving another sip.

M - Carbonation is prevalent that may be due to the cheek puckering sour tart flavor, lighter body.

D - What a great summer brew for a hot summer day. I could drink this all day long. Great summer session beer!!!

4.32/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

god, I have been digging the berliner weiss lately! stoked to see this on the shelf of my local beer store (Granite rules!) poured into a portsmouth tulip. pours a cloudy straw yellow with no head after a semi-aggressive pour. sour lemon, wheat and a bit of plastic on the nose. taste is tart, lemon, grassy. Fairly dry mouthfeel. good interpretation of the style even with the heightened abv. great summer sipper!

Batch 1 June 2, 2010
Pours a hazy straw yellow color with a thin bubbly white head that dissipates quickly leaving a ring around the top of my beer.
Smells of tart lemons, grainy malts, spicy wheat and a hint of funk. Taste is much more tart than the nose suggested with lemons piercing my taste buds with every sip. Tart lemons up front, some wheat malt sends some spice through mid way, a little funk in there and a long lingering lemon pie in the finish. Crisply sharp carbonation with a light body and a tangy mouthfeel makes this a refreshing warm weather drink. I quite enjoyed this one, maybe a little strong for the style abv wise, but it certainly didn't affect my enjoyment of this brew. Great job Bill.

4.3/5  rDev +18.1%

I am very pleased to have picked this up at Granite in the past week. The color is like most of the White Birch beers I have tried, it is straw colored and cloudy with a minimal head and some lacing. The smell is tart lemons and grains. The taste is a sharp sour lemon tang, grass and straw. The mouthfeel is nice, the carb levels are kinda sharp with tiny bubbles. Overall, I am very pleased with this beer and would love to drink this all summer long.

White Birch Berliner Weisse
A - Pours a clear straw yellow with very little foam at all. It looks very crisp and clean. 4
S - Faint sour aroma hits you right away followed by some lemon and grapes smell. Its really nice and makes my mouth water. 4
T - Graininess up front then lots of lemon and grape skin finishing with a nice sourness and ends slightly dry. This is what I want to drink. 4.5
M - Crisp carbonation leaving a slight tingle in your mouth. Just a nice balance between sour and sweet. 4
D - I could drink this all day, Its just very drinkable and quite tasty. 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours a very energetic brilliant gold with a 2” white foam cap that recedes almost as fast as it appears. S: Has a very fresh white bread dough nose with some lemon and a suspicion of wet undyed leather, acidic. T: Attack citrusy, fruit tartness, slight funk on the finish with a lingering lemony tart finish F: Light body and a crisp, dry finish. O: Very refreshing, tart, bone dry and delightful.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

Consumed 11/6/10 got in a trade from zoolzoo, thanks Kevin! I've been really excited about trying this one. First Berliner Weisse!

Bottled June 2, 2010 #387 of 1458

Poured into Southern Tier elongated tulip

(The girlfriend loved this one)

A: Pours a pale yellow, slightly hazy, (kind of like how Fresca looks) with a bubbly head that dissipates quickly, despite the strong carbonation

S: Smells pretty funky, can't make out any other fruits, maybe a slight sour grape? A whiff of wheat.

T: Slight hint of sparkling grapes and grapefruit. Tartness on the finish, but not puckering. Actually quite pleasing. The bubblegum breadiness of the wheat shows in the aftertaste. They weren't kidding, it's pretty darn refreshing.

F: Extremely light and bubbly, again, like a soda, but without the syrup. Effervescent.

D: Awesome. No alcohol detected, great for any season, particularly hot weather.

4.19/5  rDev +15.1%

500ml bottle. Batch 1, number 1042 of 1458. Shared with schen9303. Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Pours a nice 1 finger coarse white head that dissipates quickly. Beer is a semi-cloudy pear. Lacing is stringy and light with little cling.

S: Banana, yeast, pear, and sweet rice alcohol. My mom used to make these dough balls during Chinese New Year that she'd dip in fermented rice... excuse the obscure reference, but this smells exactly like that. Brings back pleasant memories.

T: Hints of wheat, banana, lemon, pear, and rice alcohol. Tart at the outset but this teeters off towards the middle, revealing a pleasantly yeasty sweet profile. Bone dry in the finish with a lemon spritz, puckering aftertaste that lingers for just a bit.

M: Light bodied with medium carbonation. Exceedingly lively in the mouth and abrasively dry going down. Dry finish with a puckering, but brief aftertaste.

D: The Berliner Weisse style is without a doubt, one of the most drinkable beer styles, and this brew fits the bill perfectly. Refreshingly tart, light, crisp, refreshing, and rather low in ABV, this is the perfect beer to sip all day long.

White Birch Berliner Weisse from White Birch Brewing