White Birch Hop Session Ale - White Birch Brewing

White Birch Hop Session AleWhite Birch Hop Session Ale

good

White Birch Brewing visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Hop Session is in. Starting with a blend of west coast hops for a balanced, bitter effect. We close the session out by late hopping the beer for a nice resiny mouth feel.

(Beer added by: johnnnniee on 03-26-2011)

2.19/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

07/27/11 Company blurb says: "a blend of west coast hops for a balanced, bitter effect. We close the session out by dry hopping the beer for a nice resiny mouth feel."

Not my kind of thing. I prefer clean and crisp. The "resiny mouth feel" made me feel I had kissed a tree...hugs maybe, but never a kiss on the mouth, thank you very much.

2.48/5  rDev -32.6%

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Purchased a single bomber style bottle on 03/29/14 in CT. Bottle said that it was bottled march of 2013. Served at 58 degrees.

The pour initially showed a high level of carbonation as it was almost completely foam. It took a long time to pour the bottle into my glass because I had to allow the foam to drop.

Appearance: Amber beneath a thick head and thick lacing on the sides of the glass

Smell: No hop aroma, just malt.

Taste: Initial taste is malt. I don't taste any discernible hops, there is a a lingering bitterness. There is a faint citrus that is barely noticeable. Not bad, not great just okay

Mouthfeel: over carbonated for an ipa, the carbonation would be more suited for a hefe or a cream ale. That's being said it still had good body.

Overall: not a good example of an ipa. I would like to try a fresh one but I think the one I bought might have been stale since I didn't get any of the hop flavors and aroma that I expect from an ipa. I would classify this as an amber ale and not as an ipa

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

22oz bottle poured into a glass. The whole glass immediately filled with foam. After pouring and letting it settle for the next 20 minutes I finally get a glass of amber colored beer with an active, rocky white head. It looked great eventually, but getting to that point wasn't easy.

The aroma has a herbal, earthy hoppiness to it with some tart, crisp fruits coming through. I get some notes of pepper and grapes to it. It has a dry, bready like presence to it as well.

The taste also shows some tart, crisp fruits to it with some notes of pear and grape in the finish. Again, I get more of a dry, bready presence in it as well. The hops do come through and give it some herbal, earthy qualities as well as some bitter citrus rind in the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being explosive. Overall, the explosive carbonation was a pain in the ass to deal with and it wasn't that great of a beer to make it worth all the fuss. Something didn't seem right in it, I almost wonder if the high carbonation and slight tartness is the beginning of something developing unintended. Once it settled it was drinkable, but average at best.

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

Review caveat: This beer was bottled during Aug.2011 and I’m tasting it during Jan. 2012. Unfortunately, I didn’t notice the bottle date in the store when I purchased it. This beer was about ready to explode from over carbonation. It was a massive gusher (when chilled to 45 deg. no less), but in the breweries defense, they probably didn’t mean for it to sit on the shelf for 6 months. Bottle shop should have pulled it, but that’s another story. Anyway, take this review with this caveat AND check the bottle date if you purchase this beer!!!

A: amber color, cloudy/chill haze, good head and lacing.

S: Decent hop aroma (given its age), somewhat citrus, bit of tea aroma, with a lot of malt in the background.

T: A very nice balance of malt and hops, even with its age. This beer was probably great when fresh. Hops provide nice balance against the malt with a very nice bite of bitterness on the finish. Taste is nice, seems a bit like an English IPA.

M: Over carbonated, dominates mouth feel

O: Tough to give an objective opinion. I’m betting this beer was pretty good when fresh, but it’s way past its prime now. I’ll try it again if I can find a fresh bottle.

White Birch Hop Session Ale from White Birch Brewing