White Birch Route 6 Ale - White Birch Brewing

White Birch Route 6 AleWhite Birch Route 6 Ale

White Birch Brewing visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  5.10% ABV

We’re pleased to bring you our take on an Extra Special Bitter. Brewed by hand with a blend of classic Noble and American hops. We think this slice of New Hampshire served exclusively through Route 6 in Philly, is a perfect match to any New England dish.

(Beer added by: callmemickey on 11-22-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
FrankLloydMike

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

I had a bottle of Route 6 to myself while watching coverage of the New Hampshire Primary a few months back. This was the first primary since I moved across the border, so I figured I'd console myself with a favorite style from the hometown brewery. From my notes:

A: Pours a very clear, copper-amber with a fluffy, bright white head and sticky lacing--pleasantly stickier than I had expected. A second pour (the bomber being bigger than my glass) kicks up a fair amount of sediment, rendering the glass hazier and more fully amber. I should've been more careful pouring as I got to the end of the bottle.

S: Very clean, bready nose with a hint of noble hops (I believe), a bit faint but very pleasant, and spot on for an ESB. Upon warming over the course of drinking the bottle, the smell gains a slightly herbal/medicinal tone.

T: Starts sweet and malty, and quickly dives to a juicy bitterness, closing with a slightly herbal/medicinal note. Initially, there's a bit of a rustic finish, but this disappears upon warming. Overall, the taste is crisp and earthy.

M: Light, well-carbonated. Not as smooth or full as I'm used to for a typical English ESB, but nice overall with a more American style body.

O: While it wasn't my favorite White Birch offering (still waiting to see what knocks Hop Session off), this is one I'd really like to have again. Like I said, I love the style and the bready nose on Route 6 was a real treat while I was thinking of home.

05-15-2012 18:50:22 | More by FrankLloydMike
Riggsy

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

01-29-2012 12:25:37 | More by Riggsy
rfgetz

4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a lightly hazed golden amber color with cap of frothy, faintly off-white head, good sticky lacing. Scent leads with lightly sweet and spiced noted from the rye grains, hop profile of floral, citrus and grassy. Taste, like scent, is not too complex but very good. Solid spiciness and light sweetness from the rye, juicy floral and citrus hop notes, light toasted nuts and seed and some grassy hops give more character. Medium bodied, slightly dry and lingering spice notes. Overall, quite impressed by this brew, a shame its only available as the house brew at one restaurant.

01-23-2012 15:08:28 | More by rfgetz
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up the other night at the brewery.
Pours a slightly hazy deep copper brown color with a huge fluffy yellow white head that shows remarkable retention and lace. Smells is heavy on the malt, lots of toffee, light caramel and chocolate. Bitter earthy hops provide some balance along with a spicy component that I assume is rye. Taste is malty as promised in the aroma. Toffee and a hint of buttery nutty malt are countered by earthy floral hops and a spicy rye tartness. Finish is fairly dry. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet resinous spicy mouthfeel. Nice brew, kind of a different take on an ESB but it works pretty good.

12-18-2011 02:50:33 | More by johnnnniee
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

From bottle #11 of 44. Sampled on December 10, 2011. The pour is light amber with a yellow-orange tone and a significant, fluffy white head, hazy and carbonated. The aroma is nicely balanced between nutty malts and mellow hops. The body is in the medium range with a pleasant creamy feeling on my tongue. The taste has an upfront malty character with a moderate to high bitterness lingering in the end. A nice beer to wash down that pub food.

12-11-2011 01:32:15 | More by puboflyons
callmemickey

Exclusive new beer from White Birch brewed for Stephen Starr's Route 6 restaurant in Philadelphia.

A: Copper - amber body. Thin off-white head. Light lacing left on the sides of the glass following each sip.

S: Light floral hop component, a light sweet grain character that's follows from the rye malt bill. Pleasant and moderately assertive.

T: Like the nose, the beer is assertive but not brash. Sweet, delicate rye, pale malts, floral hops, perhaps a bit of orange rind.

M: Smooth, mild carbonation. Clean, soft finish.

O: A nice take on the ESB with the rye twist. Pleasant and enjoyable. I had two with dinner.

11-22-2011 03:25:12 | More by callmemickey
White Birch Route 6 Ale from White Birch Brewing
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.