White Birch Apprentice Series Jasmine - White Birch Brewing

White Birch Apprentice Series JasmineWhite Birch Apprentice Series Jasmine

White Birch Brewing visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.20% ABV

With this release by Kate Wallace, our ninth brewer apprentice, we bring you a special Belgian inspired ale. Like the precious Jasmine of the orient, this rich red ale offers a nuanced spiciness with a smooth medium bodied malt backbone and a dry finish.

As Kate moves on, we raise a toast and hope you enjoy her beer as much as we do.

(Beer added by: redleaves on 02-19-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by DIM:
DIM

3.98/5  rDev +19.5%

a: This was a hzy straw colored orange. It poured with a medium sized head that faded to light lace.

s: Mild citrus, starw, and flowery spice.

t: Dry overall, which I really like. Grassy grains and nice lingering light spice flavor Jasmine?).

m: Medium body with gently fizzy carbonation.

o: Very nice saison. The Jasmine effect was subtle, deftly handled.

05-22-2012 23:01:28 | More by DIM
Yabev15

06-19-2013 11:33:13 | More by Yabev15
Durge

Connecticut

3.45/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A murky almond brown color with some crap at the bottom, a healthy oatmeal colored head and a thick blanket of lace. The aroma is a surprising chemical, mulled cider malt. I have to say this smells as if something may have gone awry here. There's maybe some caramel vodka. Really weird and not getting me excited about putting any of this in my mouth. So after summoning the courage to taste this stuff the results are perhaps a little better than the aroma suggested but it's still funky stuff. I get rhubarb malt and some raisin-prune, dusty chocolate cherry. It remains funky for sure but somehow this odd brew becomes palatable after a few sips and the tart malt prevails. Not like any Farmhouse I've ever had before but I'm no expert on the style. There's a mellow yeast and mild grass bite to round out this unique beer which somehow has managed to win me over by the last few mouthfuls. This stuff is medium bodied at best with a juice like feel that includes a fairly delicate carbonation. I'm not likely to buy this again but I have to say it's a respectable concoction that took some guts perhaps, but is a fun beer to experience. But I'm still not sure if this bottle somehow got fouled up a bit, although i just recently bought it.

01-08-2013 06:10:09 | More by Durge
kaelingirl

04-14-2012 21:50:27 | More by kaelingirl
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.4/5  rDev +2.1%

From the January 2012 batch. The pour is a murky brown with a lingering, foamy head. Loads of lacing. The aroma is powerful and comes on strong with jasmine, grainy malts, and light floral hops present. The body is medium to bold. The taste though is far too acidic for my tastes. The acidity seemed to take the entire thing over, which made it difficult to appreciate properly. I think somewhere in there I tasted the jasmine and malts but it was too biting.

03-23-2012 00:04:08 | More by puboflyons
rmaste6282

03-13-2012 03:41:38 | More by rmaste6282
u2carew

22oz bomber.
A) Pours with a finger thick, tight off-white head. Sticky lacing on the drink down. Mostly clear body. Ruby in color.
S) Pleasant floral notes from the Jasmine which dominates much of the aroma. Subtle chalky aroma.
T) Grainy sweetness up front. Dry floral notes. Bitter in the finish. Has more pale ale characteristics than saison. The jasmine definitely adds complexity to the profile.
M) Medium body. Dry finish.
O) A delicious brew. I'd have another one.

03-04-2012 01:43:07 | More by u2carew
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.98/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours a slightly cloudy reddish brown with a smallish beige head that displays moderate retention and leaves little lace. Smells of sweet malt, light brown sugar, lightly spicy with a floral edge. The flowery aroma which I assume is from the jasmine intensifies greatly as the glass warms. Taste is again sweet and malty with honey and brown sugar countered with Belgian yeasty flavor, a bit of earthy herbal hops and flowery herbal what I imagine is jasmine. Medium body and level of carbonation with a sweet herbal mouthfeel. The jasmine seems to give this an earthy floral herbal edge that melds fairly well with spice from the Belgian yeast. This is not something I would drink all the time, but I enjoyed it.

02-19-2012 23:35:20 | More by johnnnniee
redleaves

Maine

2.15/5  rDev -35.4%

Just a taster so I didn't see the head really well, but color was average opaque Belgian pale. Little to no jasmine on the nose, I expected something, just a bit of yeast, maybe. Underwhelming to say the least. Some sort of floral hops could have enhanced the nose. Taste is actually more like an unclean ESB, not too sure what they were going for, slight Belgian yeast, dirty, cheap, old hop flavor. Medium body, if you told me this was a Belgian style ESB without any jasmine I would have believed you. I'm really not sure where the jasmine comes into play. Unimpressed all around.

02-19-2012 03:55:35 | More by redleaves
White Birch Apprentice Series Jasmine from White Birch Brewing
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.