White Birch Small Batch Ale Border Brew Braggot - White Birch Brewing

No picture uploaded.

White Birch Brewing visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

Braggot |  11.20% ABV

I tell people from time to time I love to brew a braggot. Most often that statement is met with a puzzled look as if to say, brew a what? It’s okay, I had the same look years ago too. You see, the first braggot I tried was called Brother Adams Braggot from Atlantic Brewing in Bar Harbor Maine. I had dropped by their brewery on a lark while visiting the area and as part of my beer exploration bought everything they sold so I could try them at home. This unusual honey barleywine-esque creation called Brother Adams blew my mind. It was flavorful, lighter in body than I would’ve expected for the high alcohol content, sort of sweet and smooth. I had to know more about braggots and once I did I had to brew my own. My braggot is a spin-off of my barleywine recipe made with a lot of honey. How much honey? Lets just say enough by my tastes. This batch I brewed with Joe Ruotolo of Border Brew Supply fame. I even used his locally sourced, southern New Hampshire honey. The same honey you can buy today at his store if you are so inspired as to create your own braggot. The result is rich, reddish in hue and smooth with a medium full body. This beer highlights a complex malt body, wildflower honey and a nice floral complimentary American hop effect. I hope you enjoy this latest small batch effort as much as I do.

(Beer added by: johnnnniee on 06-06-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

09-04-2012 06:32:16 | More by CelticAleMan
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

Pours a cloudy deep orange amber color with a huge beige head that persists forever. Smells of orange marmalade, sweet sugary honey like malt, slightly earthy with a hint of oxidation.
There's a bit of pepper and a touch of alcohol that do nicely to cut through the sweetness here. Taste is sweet up front with a sprinkling of peeper. Fruity sweet honey like maltiness takes over midway through before a touch of alcohol cuts into a long lingering sweet finish. Medium to thick body with a sweet almost syrupy mouthfeel and a moderate level of carbonation. Nice brew, even my meager pallet can appreciate this one.

06-06-2012 23:23:32 | More by johnnnniee
White Birch Small Batch Ale Border Brew Braggot from White Birch Brewing
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.