2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Four O Street Legal Malt Liquor - Copper Mountain Beverage Company

Four O Street Legal Malt LiquorFour O Street Legal Malt Liquor

awful

Copper Mountain Beverage Company
Indiana, United States

American Malt Liquor |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 06-28-2009)
View: Beers (2) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 23 | Reviews: 19 | Show All Ratings:
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.1/5  rDev +12.3%

24oz monstrous can, procured during happy hour at the Pizza Brew in Calgary. Stereotypical inner city brick wall graffiti imagery makes up the childish label.

This beer pours a clear, medium golden yellow colour, with one fat finger of puffy, somewhat foamy bone-white head, which leaves some stringy webbed lace around the glass as things quickly move southwards.

It smells of that standard Minhas house essence - musty dank cardboard, industrial effluent, apple cores, and an acetone-heavy metallic booziness. The taste is more of the same - wet paper, a suggestion of grainy corn malt, industrial park alcohol, adult bubblegum (i.e. boozy), apple mush, and very little else - but that's not the point here, is it?

The carbonation is soft, but fairly frothy, the body medium-light in weight, smooth like vodka after that initial burning sensation wears off, and airily creamy, for some reason. It finishes sweet, all surprisingly restrained alcohol heat and bland apple fruitiness, like a cheaply boozed-up cider.

Strangely not the most off-putting, or awful-tasting offering from this brewery - sure it's alcoholic, but it bears that badge with pride, and a pleasant enough softness. Other than that, however, this is indeed the lowbrow shit you might take it for, all other things being equal.

02-26-2014 01:56:22 | More by biboergosum
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

2.5/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Okay, this is not a beer to trifle with. If one were to drink a 24 oz. can of this and then drive a motor vehicle, then he would be almost guaranteed to get arrested on a DUI charge. I drank only a 12 oz. serving (on an empty stomach) and was thoroughly drunk. Four O Street Legal Malt Liquor has a thick, off-white, creamy head and a deep golden appearance. I was amazed by the abundance of ragged lacing. The can design is completely politically incorrect, and it nuances all the wrong things about malt liquor. But, for those of us who enjoy cruising the underclass of the beer world, it is an interesting beer. No, this is certainly not the type of beer I'd drink on a daily basis, but, for kicks, I am enjoying the ride (so, please excuse any inebriated verbiage). Four O has a strong apple aroma and some grain can be detected in the smell as well. The taste is highly sweet and fruity, with some alcohol sting to it. Mouth-feel is rather heavy, and this concoction finishes wet and sloppy. Put it to you like this: if all you care to drink is Busch, Budweiser, Miller High Life, Shiner Bock, and Coors Banquet, etc., and you don't appreciate the "wild side" of beer, then don't fool with this stuff. But, however, if you like to go into forbidden zones from time to time, I'd recommend you try this (with extreme trepidation, to be sure). Well, for those who relish trying outlandish, unacceptable drinks like this, I'd recommend a try (at home, with an iron-clad assurance that you will not, under any circumstances, operate a motor vehichle). Although you may not like this beer, you can't really argue that it's not interesting.

UPDATE NOTE: About an hour after writing this review, I was hit with a nausea that lasted over 24 hours. So, that's what I get for going out on a limb and sampling this filth. I really can't, with a clear conscience, recommend this trash. My advice is to stay away from it and not damage your psyche.

RJT

06-11-2010 17:24:03 | More by RonaldTheriot
cnally

2.25/5  rDev +20.3%

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! This right here is taking me back. Back to the days when I literally drank beer out of a brown paper bag. Except now, I pour it in a glass. Strange.

Crystal clear straw yellow color, foamy white head is surprisingly sticky on the side of the glass.

The aroma is a sick adjunct combo, with a really putrid sourness. Huge corn smell.

The flavor is very sweet. Highly grainy. Then, like a bomb, the alcohol kicks in. It is like someone dropped a shot of everclear in a Bud Light.

Alcohol burn on the throat and tongue. But decently carbonated.

Uh...drink it cold. It obviously is created to get you crunk, cause it is a cinch to slam and not savor. Which, in a strange way...makes it...kind of drinkable? Whoa. I think I am gonna have my beer geekdom revoked.

02-27-2010 01:36:54 | More by cnally
woodychandler

1.25/5  rDev -33.2%

I CAN't believe that I have finally gotten around to this beer! It has been in my refrigerator for a couple of months, awaiting me getting in the mindset to crack open a 24-ounce CAN of what I just know, in my heart of hearts, will be absolute and utter rubbish. I have succumbed to too much garbage in CANs to expect anything else. This is the backswing of the CANQuest - on the upswing are some really quality brews from serious brewers and then there is this kind of thing. Onward!

I got a finger's worth of bone-white head out of my pour with low retention, settling into wisps. Color was a light, lemony-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had the same fusel alcohol/bubblegum quality that has been noted in many like beers. Let us call it like it is - this is cheap, mass-produced swill intended for an audience whose sole purpose in drinking this is not for enjoyment, but instead to get as banged up as cheaply and as quickly as possible. Mouthfeel was very thin with a raspberry-candy like taste on the tongue. THAT was totally unexpected and nearly caused me to gag. OK. I just made a deal with myself - I will drink half of the CAN to give it a fair shake, but the rest of it goes. In fact, I am doing a drainpour right now of everything NOT in my glass at the moment so that I will not even be tempted to finish it. Finish was breathtaking and not in any good way. My chest hurts, I CAN feel the sugar leeching the water out of my brain on my way to a world-class hangover, and my asthma is kicking. Oof. Shame on whomever made this for public sale!

01-01-2010 23:07:34 | More by woodychandler
ragerx

Alaska

1.15/5  rDev -38.5%

I recently got a 24oz can of this from my girlfriend- she had noticed my "malt liquor kick" as of late and decided to get me some real ghetto fuel, all 10% ABV of it. The can proclaims "Street Legal" on the front. The can is interesting, there is artwork depicting a city skyline with a brick wall below it and graffiti depicting the brand and details. Very appropriate considering the target audience for this beer. Here is my impressions:

A- Again the can is interesting, the beer pours a straw yellow. Small head that foams rapidly and disappears just as rapidly. Looks like a budweiser or typical american lager.

S- Smells somewhat "syrupy", strong corn odors. Not a favorable sign prior to tasting

T- I can honestly say this stuff is pretty low on my list of the worst things I have tasted. I made a batch of mead last year that went wrong and it came out with a really high (17%) abv- this taste almost just like that with a strong, sweet corn flavor. It literally tastes like it might be a liqueur of some sort. I am not sure it is possible to chug this even with it ice cold. It would be interesting to find out the amount of Carbs per serving of this stuff. After a 1.5oz tasting glass of this I am not sure I can drink the can (damn $1.35 down the drain).

M- Syrupy, do not want to hold it in my mouth any longer than I have to. Leaves a sweet, alcoholic aftertaste

D- Awful, I have a feeling if you could put this down rapidly you might vomit. It probably helps to be drunk already or homeless to handle this stuff in quantity. The ABV puts it on par with wines for serving size of 6oz in one standard drink (as opposed to 8oz for a typical malt liquor)

Conclusion- It might be fun to show off at a party or if you are feeling the need for a quick drunk. Undoubtedly this stuff will cause a nasty hangover in quantity. Open can of this only in case of emergency!!

10-26-2009 22:22:04 | More by ragerx
tone77

1.93/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, a bit malty. Taste is yuck. Nothing but alcohol, I would have been better served pouring this into a shot glass. Feels light and yucky in the mouth. I really struggled to finish this can. Overall a poor excuse for a beer.

09-06-2009 22:28:19 | More by tone77
bgreg3

2.33/5  rDev +24.6%

Thrid review tonight , not inebriated yet ... but I will be after this 24 oz...

app.-3.0 Looks average for a malt, nice and light golden , just like a colt 45 or mickey's.

smell-4.0 Sweet sweet malt and hints of alcohol even in the smell. Kind of looked forward to the taste.

taste- 1.5 Malt and alcohol! I cannot even say the alc. is contained well because it's not.

mouthfeel- 3.0 average, medium body , due to the alcohol

drinkability 2.0- I can drink this , but it'll be hard to pretend to enjoy it

If you want to get messed up drink two of these... otherwise steer clear of this malt liquor.

06-23-2009 03:21:27 | More by bgreg3
biggred1

1.1/5  rDev -41.2%

Pale golden with a small pure white head that quickly shrinks away. The smell is very solvent like grain alcohol with a sweet caramelized onion smell. This shit is just bad, metallic and way to hot with a sweet vegetal note that makes it unpalatable. This is the worst malt liquor I've ever had, a drain pour.

06-01-2009 01:33:11 | More by biggred1
SaCkErZ9

2.8/5  rDev +49.7%

Sent as part of the "Good Bad and Ugly 08" BIF. As per the conditions of the BIF, I must review and send an Ugly beer. Here she be!

Dispensed from a 24oz can with a brick wall on the side enblazoned in spray paint graffitti the words "Four O Street Legal". Not sure of what street they are referring, but whatever.

Pours a clear straw color with a very nice looking white head. Plenty of lacing and the head actually stays for quite a bit. Nice.

Aroma is corn cob and sweet liquor. Possibly some rice adjunct as well. Not a drop of grains but I wasnt expecting that from a malt liquor. Again, not too bad so far.

Kind of sweet when it first hits the tougue. Then the rice cereals kick in. A little bit of that alcohol gag comes up due to the sharpness and solvency of the alcohol. Kind of an "old valentine day candy" sort of taste to it: a bit stale yet sweet and somewhat tolerable.

I have to say, this wasnt as bad as I was expecting. A beer with graffitti on the label cant be that good but this wasnt all that bad. Of course, I served this ice cold and as it warmed, it became less and less drinkable, but I cant say this is the worst beer I have had.

Pretty dry finish and candy alcohol in the finish as well. Overall, sweet and alcoholic. If I was REALLY desperate, I may have this. By all means, spend your money elsewhere.

11-04-2008 19:27:15 | More by SaCkErZ9
ism

1.95/5  rDev +4.3%

Received as part of a winter holidays gift of malt liquors from a friend who doesn't drink beer and thought this was something I'd like. As hilariously misguided as the gift was, I do appreciate trying something new and something I'd never buy on my own.

Pours a very clear corn husk yellow, with a one-finger white head that sticks around a fair amount, given the alcohol content. Fruity esters, sweet, dominate the nose. Perhaps it's low expectations, but the taste wasn't that bad. Clean and not as buttery as I am used to in my malt liquor travels, but fruity in flavor and slightly buttery in texture, and a very mild carbonation. Body is heavy with sweetness, but not quite cloying. One of the better malt liquors I've had, but not something I want to encounter ever again in my life. Once is more than enough.

08-13-2008 00:12:24 | More by ism
oconman

Georgia

1.68/5  rDev -10.2%

Well, it's a struggle to know where to begin. Gotta love a can that tags itself. Pours like a beer syrup, with little head that looks "infected" (little deposits of bubbles at nucleation sites). Aroma of corn and cider. Hops like they ran past the mashtun with a hop cone at some point in the process. Medicinal and alcoholic. Taste is just as bad. Somehow I think of Duvel: what that is, this is the opposite. No sublety or grace or balance, but oddly enough, no worse to drink than the PBR I had last night: there's something compelling about the big bruising flavor, like a big, dumb drunk that you enjoy listening to at the bar only because he's not picking on you and you're sure he's bound to pass out soon.

06-11-2008 23:25:04 | More by oconman
drinksandeats

2.98/5  rDev +59.4%

Purchased a 24 oz. can of Four O at a liquor store in Atlantic City, NJ. The can was left in a hot car for a few hours to warm up the beer and give the aromatics a chance to shine.

Appearance: Pours a nice clear yellow with a solid finger-and-a-half of foam that quickly dissolves away. Many streams of fine bubbles from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Very corny. A slight bitter element, almost as if some of the metal from the can leeched into the beer. Aroma detected at least two feet away from glass. Not pleasant.

Taste: For a beer with a cartoony graffiti landscape and the words "Street Legal" and "10% ABV" on the can, it showed a surprising amount of sophistication. There was a very strong corn taste, with the harsh bitterness, but lurking behind everything was a smooth cherry taste, more like Robitussin than maraschino, but cherry nonetheless.

Mouthfeel: The fizz just wouldn't stop. Stuck to my teeth and roof of my mouth. Not pleasant.

Drinkability: I finished the 2-4 of 4-0 quite easily once I got past the first 8 oz. of it. The beer's feel mellowed out once exposed to air. The price wasn't right ($1.55 plus tax) but that notwithstanding this is an adequate malt liquor for, well, Atlantic City.

06-09-2008 16:35:41 | More by drinksandeats
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.5/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

40 ounces can courtesy of Unclemattie: Poured a golden color beer with a nice pure white foamy head with good retention and some lacing surprisingly. Aroma of fruity ester with some alcoholic phenols. Taste is not as bad as expected with some subtle adjunct and some fruit ester. The alcohol is really noticeable and I guess can be expected from a 10% malt liquor. Medium body with some good carbonation. This was definitely not as bad as expected but not something I would go for again thought.

02-25-2008 20:07:06 | More by Phyl21ca
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

1.25/5  rDev -33.2%

Appearance: Pours a clear, gold body with a wispy white head.

Smell: Corrosive-smelling scent of corn and chemicals. Cornicals!

Taste: Sweet, chemical laden malt flavor with more corn adjuncts. Nothing that would pass for hop flavor of bitterness. A fusel curb-kick of a finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation. Searing alcohol presence.

Drinkability: Ugh, I really disliked it. That's just the way I roll, baby.

01-01-2008 19:42:01 | More by ChainGangGuy
SilentSabre

North Dakota

1.25/5  rDev -33.2%

Poured from a 24oz can a crystal clear straw colour with a big pillowy white head. Looked halfway decent, but that's where it stopped. Smell is huge corn adjunct (you're stunned, I know) and that's about it. Taste is huge corn adjunct, as well, with a pretty big metallic element in the taste. Mouthfeel greatly lacks carbonation and is rather bland and lifeless. Neither this beer nor this style are for me, but I figured I'd give it a go. The only good thing I have to say about this is that it does a fantastic job of concealing the 10,0%abv.

07-05-2007 16:40:25 | More by SilentSabre
ski271

1.5/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

I can't believe I'm adding this beer. But hey, I feel that all beers should be represented on this site, even bad ones. And I also hope that this review will save somebody the pocket it took to buy a smaple of this cheapo. But I'm always on the hunt for afforable but decent beers.

Medium golden-yellow with a large, fluffy, white head. Smell is of alcohol for sure, along with some grain and corn husk. The taste…. Woah! Yeah that’s 10% abv alright! The alcohol sting dominates this one… but maybe that’s a good thing because there aren’t any flavors in there that I care for. Hmm. It starts out wickedly harsh but surprisingly gets slightly better as it goes…… or wait, I think that’s just the heavy alcohol numbing the senses. It has a medium-thin body, greasy texture and moderate carbonation.

My search for decent cheapos continues. Definitely not a winner here. This it just cheap crap… period…. End of story.

01-26-2007 15:06:24 | More by ski271
WVbeergeek

1.6/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Four O with a classic label on this clear forty ounce bottle with cop cars lights flashing of course and the slogan "Street Legal"...wow. Appears like apple juice golden tone with a large white heavily carbonated quickly dwindling head leaves some lacing around my glass. Aroma is heavy on cooked veggie scent with some tart apple phenols approaching the ol' schnause alcohol is noticeable comes off sweet overall with no hop aromatics sorry folks. Taste is cloying sweetness flaked corn and rice presence is off setting some fruity tones after fermenting it out to 10% abv damn it's rough though. Mouthfeel is syrupy as it warms I'm not enjoying this stuff body is medium to light. Drinkability a novelty beer enjoy it while your in college I did.

08-04-2006 20:43:04 | More by WVbeergeek
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.63/5  rDev +40.6%

This can of Four O is the challenger in the latest malt liquor grudge match that I like to call Malt Likkapalooza. It will be entering the ring today with A-B's own Hurricane High Gravity. The can depicts the Four O name spray painted on a brick wall beside the words 'street legal' with a cityscape in the background. That's to demonstrate its street cred no doubt, but the 10.0% ABV is enough for me. Who knew that La Crosse, Wisconsin was such an urban jungle?

Bright gold with multiple steady streams of fine bubbles leading up to an ivory-colored head that is ultimately as creamy as Hurricane HGL's cap, but is more sticky. There's an amazing amount of lace on the glass for a beer with a double-digit ABV. Definitely one of the best looks that I've ever run across for a malt liquor.

Just as the 'label' graphics promised, the nose is bold. It's incredibly sweet and apple-like. In fact, the beer smells like a generous portion of applejack was added to the glass. It's lower on hops that Hurricane and higher in alcohol. Surprisingly, there's very little nastiness to either one of these noses. Four O takes round two convincingly.

I'll be honest, I feared this beer a little bit. There's really nothing to fear, once tasted, but I do fear what trouble I might get into if I downed a few of these bad boys back to back. Like the nose, the flavor is brash, bold and bordering on hostile. It's everything that most malt liquors are times two. Strangely enough, I find it appealing in a perverse sort of way for that very reason.

Yeah, it tastes a little too much like grain alcohol. Yeah, it takes a little getting used to. Yeah, it'll make your head spin if you drink too fast. But it's sweet enough and just well-mannered enough that I find myself sipping it between sentences rather than the Hurricane. What better recommendation could there be?

It looks as though Four O has run the table on Hurricane. Its mouthfeel is more enjoyable due to its medium-full, almost creamy stickiness. All of those malt sugars (and added sugar?) have seen to it that the beer coddles the mouth, in contrast to the flavor's tendency to rough it up.

Four O is the overwhelming winner of Malt Likkapalooza IV. I'll admit, I'm surprised by the outcome. The over-the-top promise of the name and the can graphics were borne out in the actual drinking. If you like your malt liquors subtle, look elsewhere. If you like them loud and jarring, yet sippable, grab a can of Four O and hang on for dear life.

[I don't recommend drinking most of the can while reviewing though, because my brain is in neutral and my fingers are so numb that I'm having a hard time feeling the keys.]

07-22-2006 13:05:11 | More by BuckeyeNation
NeroFiddled

2.58/5  rDev +38%

If you're going to drink this, drink it cold. That means if you've got it in a brown paper bag, down it!

It has the typical malt liquor appearance with a more-golden-than-the-usual-lager color, and the quick to diminish bright white head. It does, however, leave some nice thin lacing if you put it into a glass (and who would want to do that?).

The nose expresses fruit (this is a lager, right?) and alcohol with sweetish malt trailing. Hmmmm... higher alcohols here too.

In the mouth it's medium-full bodied and crisp, but the heat of the alcohol gives it an extra edge.

The flavor is not as alcoholic as the nose and mouthfeel suggest... oh, who the hell am I kidding, it's frickin' LOADED! Drink it cold unless you like the burn! The sweet malt does round it out a bit though.

Overall, not the best, but not the worst. In fact, it's kind of the poster child for what people think malt liquor tastes like. There are better examples of the style out there, now go find them!

04-27-2006 22:17:13 | More by NeroFiddled