Orange Blossom Cream Ale - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Reidrover on 12-13-2003

A light ale with hints of fresh orange. Brewed with sweet orange peel, orange blossom extract and honey.
to view more.
Ratings: 625 | Reviews: 355
3.76/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Good sessioning beer for the summer!

2.09/5  rDev -30.8%

One of the worst beers IMO.

3.99/5  rDev +32.1%

Dee-lish! These go down so smooth. And so yummy. Would make a great summer session.

I've always liked the up front big flavor on this brew. Haven't had it in a long time.

1.75/5  rDev -42.1%

I did manage to finish one, but the other 5 bottles were donated to the high-life drinking college kids down the street.

3.76/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Different. A - Yellow gold in color. Light lacing. S - very strong orange with maybe a splash of vanilla. T - strong orange taste, almost like orange crush soda. Hit of wonder bread in there. M - thin and bitter. A bite in the back of the throat. O - smelled delicious and went in with high hopes. Couldn't let it sit in the mouth very long, a little too sweet I think.

4.12/5  rDev +36.4%

I would say this is a good summer beer. Slightly sweet but doable. Refreshing, but sort of bitter. It's smells like a creamsicle with a dry orange peely taste. I could see myself drinking this beer, but I would prefer a shandy. This just simply comes down to preference. When it comes down to a fruity beer I would prefer a lemon to an orange. Overall a good beer, just not something I would buy a lot of.

3.42/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Buffalo Bill’s Orange Blossom Cream Ale has an extremely thick, creamy, off-white head, with brown specs noticeable at the top, a hazy, highly fizzy, yellow-gold appearance, with numerous suspended brown chunks, and a heavy lacing left behind. The aroma is of particularly sharp orange with a background of white bread. Taste is of oranges, orange peel, some honey, citric acid, and white bread, with a shade of tap water. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Buffalo Bill’s Orange Blossom Cream Ale finishes dry, juicy, sweet, and refreshing. For a fruit beer, this is a winner.

RJT

by far my favorite beer ever....perhaps im a bit biased since im from NorCal!?

Its great for summer. but dont expect an Orange Two Tone popcicle taste....if you want that try Dudes Blood Orange from Torrance, CA!

this one is definitely more floral!

2.78/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This poured with a kind of cloudy orange but had a watery thin appearance. The head was thin fizzy and when it settled there was nary a trace of it.

The scent is a bit artificial with a syrupy sweet peach aroma. A backdrop of orange is present.

The taste is just strange. I envisioned a creamy Dreamsicle flavor but got a metallic orange fruit roll up, waxy and medicinal.

The feel is fairly thin with a little carbonation bite.

Wow, I really had grand hopes on this but was seriously disappointing.

2.87/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

12 oz.

Pours a mostly clear golden orange, basically no head.

Smells of saccharine sweet orange and creamsicle.

Flavor is of mild honey, tart orange, and some malt.

Medium to thin body with a light carbonation.

Kind of mediocre, not terrible, but watery and artificial tasting. Not so bad that I regret having it, but there's no real reason to have this.

3.83/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

a - pale gold, foggy, thin head that goes away fast.

s - whoa flowers. Flowers that smell like flowers, not perfume, and lots of honey.

t - mild and honey-flavoured without being too sweet. Seriously, try taking a taste while you plug your nose. It's not actually sweet. All that perceived sweetness comes from the scent, not the taste. The flavour on top of the blossomy honey smell is really lovely and summery.

m: light and a bit fizzy, nothing special, refreshing.

o: I like this one. It's not too complicated to enjoy, but is different enough to be distinguished from a lot of the other summer offerings. They took a rather oddball flavour idea and made something pleasant out of it, unlike some of the other oddball flavours I've tried this year. If I can get it regularly this will be one of my summer favourites.

2.87/5  rDev -5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I knew not to expect much since I saw the ratings here first, but I figured I'd try it out. Afterall, I do like so low rated beers and dislike some of the higher rated ones.

A- Looks like watered down orange soda with no head or lacing.

S- The smell is the best part. When I opened the bottle, I smelled a creamsicle. I spent a lot of time smelling this beer before tasting it, and for good reason. The taste does not live up to it. That said, I'm sure many people will dislike the creamsicle smell simply because it's not beer-like, but I loved it.

T- Bleh. Tastes like orange flavored water, and the uncarbonated variety at that. I'd be better off with a 50 cent liter of flavored water from the dollar store. As the BA review mentioned, orange soda with vodka would be better. It'd certainly be more flavorful and would give a better buzz.

M- Nothing wrong with the mouthfeel. Not as watery as I'd expect, given everything else, but nothing special.

Overall, I wish I would have just looked at the prior ratings and avoided this one.

3.39/5  rDev +12.3%

Standard lager-looking brew with a fine head in the tall Stella's glass. Nice lacing and long-lasting sudsiness. The look and mouthfeel is quite nice, so at least they know the industrial art of brewing beer at Buffalo Bill's.

Aroma is a perfumey orange-water scent. Rather sweet. Well, quite sweet, for a light beer. Not exactly malty. Quite fruity and bitter-tart, just like oranges with the peel. It's actually not a bad orange flavor. There is just something too much like candy about this. I would not want to drink a pint, but it's hard to fault the general beeriness of it. Let's hope they never make a malt liquor based on this stuff. From the 12 oz bottle purchased at Ralph's supermarket in San Clemente.

2.97/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a hazy light orange with a foamy tan head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, orange zest, and yeast. There is a slight vomit-like smell that comes out as the beer warms. Taste is much the same with yeast and citrusy flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer that drinks better cold and gets worse as it warms up.

3.22/5  rDev +6.6%

A- slightly hazy orange/gold with a white head that fades really fast. The tiny ring of foam that remains leaves a little lacing

S- honey and orange, very floral.

T- orange, a bit of a creamy vanilla taste too. It's reminiscent of a creamsicle, then it fades into tart orange. the finish is mildly malty and bitter.

M- Light, with a moderate amount of prickly carbonation.

O- It doesn't Smell like beer, it doesn't taste like beer.

2.48/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy light yellow-gold with a big white head consisting of large bubbles that dissipate down to nothing. Aroma is light orange (like orange blossom scented soap) and mineral water. Taste comes across as fizzy orange flavored mineral water. Almost soda-like but the flavor is muted and a bit soapy. Not bad but I will not seek this out. Not much beer taste going on here.

2.53/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Pours an extremely hazy golden-orange color with a 2 inch fizzy white head. There are chunks of yeast at the bottom that are creating more foam. After about 5 minutes, the head has dissipated; leaving a soapy/creamy lacing.

Smell - The aroma is very feint. Grainy, cream soda, and malts.

Taste - It tastes artificial to me. It's very floral too.. from the orange flower extract maybe? I do not taste honey as the bottle states, and the orange flavor is very subtle. Other than that, this is just a very light beer with a funky flavor. Doesn't even taste much like a cream ale in my opinion.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with high carbonation.

Overall - This beer sounded interesting and that's why I tried it. But I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

4.28/5  rDev +41.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Found this brew in a sample pack from WM. Crisp, amazing nose. The orange is present, but not dominant...follows up at the end for a nice finish! Have only tasted a handfull of times but had to put in a special order for when Lent is over...what the hell was I thinking, giving up beer?

2.61/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A- pours a light golden-orange in color with a decent size fizzy white head, reduces to skim the top. No lace.

S- artificial, candy-like orange aroma, dishwashing soap, sweet perfume, orange soda, faint grainy malt.

T- starts out with an artificial creamy sweetness, orange soda like taste, finishes slightly dry with a faint malt presence. Notes of Pez candy on the back end.

M- light-med body, medium carbonation, watery mouthfeel, slightly foamy.

O- I can see what they are going for here, the orange cream taste, although artificial tasting, isn't that bad. I just see no traces of beer flavors. This is something my wife would probably like, but not something I would seek out again.

1.83/5  rDev -39.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Mason jar. I picked this beer up by accident as part of a mixed six pack.

Appearance: Ugh. It looks like I poured a glass of orange Gatorade. This was a quick violent burst of carbonation when poured by the head dissipated almost immediately. Just a boring, uninspiring pour.

Smell: And it gets worse...smells of cheap artificial orange like a Popsicle brand ice pop. Some sweetness from the honey but overall a pretty awful smelling beer.

Taste: Artifical orange flavor in abundance followed by an awful cheap college beer taste. It's like someone poured orange cough suppressant into a can of Genny Cream Ale. Gross.

Mouthfeel: Thin, weak and watery.

Overall: One of, if not the, worst tasting beer I've ever had. My words don't accurately describe my revulsion. A total drain pour. Avoid.

2.97/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured June 2012.

A: Boring clear, orangish golden color with little head.

S: Nothing particularly great about the smell, perhaps a little bit of sweetness and orange.

T: Very, very mild hop, with a little bit of orange. A bit bland taste, but inoffensive.

M: Nice, easy drinking beer with mild carbonation. Nothing special.

O: Overall an unremarkable beer. Certainly not bad, but not worth having again either. Won't seek out, and would drink again, but I'd definitely look for something better first.

2.02/5  rDev -33.1%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Off the pour this beer comes out very straw, hits with an orange yellow body, and barely makes a white one finger head which disappears pretty quickly. Beer is very hazy in appearance. but seems to leave a thin white collar. Looks very lifeless.

Nose is well. Orangey. Extremely artificial smelling to me. Powdered tang breakfast drink. It reminds me of those rocket candies from halloween with an orange smell, it smells like artificial candy. It's huge, almost like a frozen orange popsicle. There is not malt, no creamy sensations, nothing, just orange artificial sweetness. I suppose that's the brews angle but it doesn't smell like beer at all. It doesn't smell bad though I kind of actually like it, but I'll deduct below average cause it does not given any sense that this is a cream ale at all.

Ok.. so with that big nose profile you'd think there'd be some taste to this beer. My god was I ever wrong. Extremely wet palate, barely even any malt density, there isn't even any sweetness. Flattened watered down orange Kool-Aid.

Overall I was thinking this would be fun, and I like to cut loose once in awhile, but boy this is so watered down and flattened it's like drinking watered down tang and/or orange Kool-Aid. It doesn't even taste like beer, and it doesn't even deliver from what is sensed on the nose at all. It says brewed with natural flavor, could have fooled me tastes anything but.

2.18/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured out a hazy golden color with a faint fizz rim and a very strong hybrid aroma of orange crush soda and yeasty dough with just a smidge of vanilla aroma in the background. Not really sure I dig the smell of bread crammed into orange soda...its the yeast smell in particular that seems to clash. The flavor and texture resembles a thinner wheat beer with a significant 'cooked' sort of canned / vegetal orange flavor which also clashes for my palate against the base beer. At least the carbonation is adequate, unfortunately the body is too thin and watery. I probably won't be visiting this one ever again, not a real fan of it. Not a -horrible- beer, but definitely somewhat worse than mediocre.

Served from bottle into a Sweetwater snifter. Poured a golden yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount instantly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, orange, and wheat. The flavor was of sweet malt, cream, orange, and wheat. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was an average brew. Nothing really stood out on this one at all for me from other brews of the same style. There are so many good brews in this style, it would be hard to do so, but this one felt like it didn't even make an effort. Yes, the orange was there. Yes, the cream was there. But that's it? I guess you can't win them all. Glad I got the chance to tick it, but doubt I would go out of my way to do so again.

to view more.