Orange Blossom Cream Ale - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Reidrover on 12-13-2003

A light ale with hints of fresh orange. Brewed with sweet orange peel, orange blossom extract and honey.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orange Blossom Cream Ale Alström Bros
2.65/5  rDev -12.3%

A: A clear orange color with a fizzy white head which disappears after the pour.

S: Smell like orange sunkist. A very flowery orange scent.

T & M: It tastes just like it sounds. Very much a candy orange flavor with floral scents and slight bitterness. No other characteristics really. Creamy and very easy to drink.

D: It's pretty refreshing and is a decent beer for people that don't like beer. Good for a summer picnic to just down to beat the heat.

3.3/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

a: clear light gold body, thin white head, little to no retention.

s: Sweet orange, slight floral notes.

t: tastes like a creamsickle: artificial orange and cream. This beer has no balance whatsoever and doesn't taste like beer at all, but damn, that's a tasty treat.

m: average, a bit thin and fizzy.

d: this is not beer. this is candy. a unique offering that offers a good changeup when in the proper mood.

3.32/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle of this into a glass mug.

A: Pours a hazy, cloudy body with a small white head with ok retention and decent lacing along the sides of the glass.

S: Smells like orange zest with some sweet, malt undertones to compliment.

T: The taste was not as impressive as the smell. It seemed like watered down orange juice or orange concentrate with some sugar added. The malts seemed to recede into the background, disappearing completely when I feel they would have provided a nice, complimentary backbone to the beer. I am not saying they needed to be fully present, but just enough to compliment the orange taste. I think it would have done well to assist with balancing out the watered down orange taste.

M: A fairly smooth mouthfeel that did seem a little overcarbonated, but not too much. A pretty strong point here.

D: Overall, a decent beer to drink. The mouthfeel helped out with the beer in this aspect as the sugary orange juice flavor started to get to me later. Maybe a hint of coriander to balance may have helped this one out a little bit more. Overall, a decent beer.

The first Buffalo Bill beer I had was the Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, which I found to be quite good. While this one did not really achieve my expectations, it will not hinder me from still searching out the Buffalo Bill brews in the future.

3.79/5  rDev +25.5%

I poured this bottle into a snifter at cellar temp. The beer pours a clear copper color with almost no bleached white head foaming up and fading immediately. Aroma is caramel malt and lots of citrus orange sweetness dominates.
First sip reveals an average body with medium tingly carbonation.
Flavor is very similar to nose with sweet caramel and some grain notes then rolls to all orange like a jolly rancher. This beer is candy and could get too sweet pretty quickly. An interesting brew but I wouldnt want to drink more than one at a time.
Could be a nice desert pairing.

3.3/5  rDev +9.3%

This is one shockingly good beer that is definitely out of the ordinary. Pours a dark yellow/gold with an orange tint. Decent head and good carbonation. The aroma is sweet and fruity, no mistaken that orange is involved here. Feels creamy and full on the palate and finishes with a wonderful taste of orange. Very smooth and creamy halfway through this one I had to reassure myself that I was drinking a beer. Absolutely different which is what makes this one a really good experience.

3.36/5  rDev +11.3%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured a small head on a light yellow body. Holy orange, it's all orange, all the time for the nose. Of course, that's the prominent taste as well, but it seemed to not be ridiculously so. Actually pretty nice. Despite the small head, it came across as a bit fizzy. A nice hot summer day drink, despite the obvious orange domination...it was fairly well balanced.

3.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Got this beer at World Market in Birmingham. Poured into a standard pint.

A: Poured a golden, macro yellow. Not much head to speak of with little to no retention. No lacing to write mom about.

S: This smells fanfriggintastic. Smells like an orange cream soda or cream pop. Serious notes of sweet orange, vanilla ice cream. Smells exactly like the beer leads you to believe the beer should smell.

T: Wish it was as good as the smell. Serious let down here. The main taste is of a regular macro flavor of grains and malt. As the beer warms traces of orange and cream come across, but not nearly enough. Sad panda I am.

M: A light bodied beer. No after taste to talk about. Goes down smooth and clean.

D: You can drink it, but it is a macro alternative at best. At the price, may have to buy some macro instead. Really wanted more from this beer.

2.72/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: A yellow/light amber color with a wispy off-white head that falls quickly to a thin lace.

S: Intense orange, corn/grain malts, and a hint flowery. Very artificial sweetness.

T&M: Sweet orange/flowery flavors initially, followed by a sour macro-lager-esque cheap grain/adjunct flavor. 2.5 only because the sweetness is interesting enough. Mouthfeel is bubbly and effervescent, with a light body--on par, but nothing special.

D: The sweetness is a bit intense for me, especially when coupled with the nasty grain flavor. The last 1/3 resulted in a drain pour, but I could see how this could go down very easily for someone who's into this kind of beer (or "etc"), but I won't be drinking it again.

3.17/5  rDev +5%

Poured a very light yellow color, almost reminiscent of a wit or hefe, with a small head that disappeared quite rapidly leaving behind no lacing as I drink it down. Aroma is.... ORANGE. Taste is, well, orangey. A bit like a shandy, only with orange-ade mixed in rather than lemonade. Creamy on the palate, average carbonation, and somewhat refreshing. At least it took away the awful aftertaste of the last beer I had (Rogue I2PA)

2.65/5  rDev -12.3%

This beer poured an orange to light amber in color and slightly cloudy. Looks kind of like honey. Thin one finger head sat lazily on top for a short time and then vanished.

For a short time there was a little visible carbonation but this also seemed to vanish.

This totally smells like orange soda with maybe a slight malt sweetness as well, but very faint.

Guess what? Tastes like orange soda as well.
There is a bubbly soda quality to the mouth feel and the bitterness is more reminiscent of an orange peel vs. a hop. There is a slight creaminess as well which I suppose compliments the orange flavor as in a creamsicle.

Very light body which leads to a quick drinking beer.

This is more of a novelty and perhaps can be classified as a summer session beer. But frankly it reminds me more of Bartles and James wine coolers from the 80's.

I wasn't a big fan of those then and I'm not of this either.

Glad I bought one vs. a six pack and thank got for mixed six packs!

Footnote, my Mother is here and she doesn't like beer. She just said, "I could drink about a ½ a glass of that, it doesn't really taste like beer."

** 2nd footnote, My wife just read this and thought you all might think I still live with my Mom. I do NOT. We are on vacation. My wife says I'm a beer geek . She is right and now embarrassed I've included this on the internet for all to see!!!

'Nuff Said!

3.1/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from the bottle a copper-gold color with a thin white head.

Aroma of orange soda and not much else.

Taste is of sweet tangerines with a slight hint of grains.

Light bodied and very fizzy.

This is more of an orange soda type of beverage that an ale. I might have liked it more as a teenager.

2.05/5  rDev -32.1%

A: Clear, honey amber color. Large bubbles in head that dissipate quickly, leaving no lace.

S: Very sweet, orange blossoms, honey, citrus in general. No discernible hop or malt presence over the overpowering citrus.

T: Not nearly as sweet or citrusy as I expected on my tongue, but the citrus aroma through my nose while drinking was overpowering. I couldn't focus on anything but ORANGE, and possibly honey. It tastes like some sort of artificial orange candy, or Homer's famed "Skittlebrau" made only with orange Skittles. Not the most pleasant beer experience.

M: Decent, if you can pour this foul liquid past your lips.

D: I couldn't even finish one, let alone another. I very rarely dump beers because I don't like them, and this was one of them.

This beer actually made me nauseous...

3.62/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Somewhat muddy golden color. Big floral aroma-just like what an orange blossom might smell like! A mix of orange with an incense kind of aroma. Slight peppery smell. Maly enough flavor with a slight hop bite though the perfuminess of the aroma comes through a tad much. Orange flavor with a mild honey taste. Again with a peppery note-wit beer on steroids? moderate amount of mouthfeel. Definately a drinkable beer. The perfumey and floral get to be a bit too much. Hot weather beer for sure.

2.4/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured into pint glass

A: Average appearance, little head that dissipated quickly

S: Strong orange on nose

T & M: Too much orange in my opinion, tasted like I was drinking an orange soda instead of beer.

D: I did not finish the beer, don't think I'll be having again. I generally enjoy fruit beers but can't say I enjoyed this one.

3.43/5  rDev +13.6%

A- clear golden orange, nearly the color of slightly aged orange peel with a light frothy off white head that shrinks incredibly quickly... bubbles wiggle up to the top but the foam continues to diminish and on a polished glass there's no stickies to be found.

S- at first what smells like it could be citric hop aroma turns out to be a strange mixture of CO2 and orange soda. orange blossom honey is definitely present but seems to get mixed up with and ultimately overpowering some pale malt. the floral notes of ripe orange peel also play a small part and after taking some time and putting things in perspective, the 'orange soda' smell is actually a decent blend of all things orange (minus the juice). though not much beer smell can be appreciated, the floral lean of this one is nice.

T- thankfully, more malt is present in the taste. a good amount, as it were. blossom honey is up front holding hands with caramel malt and a slight bitterness of orange pith. the actual orange flavor is very subtle, only being revealed in the finish and in some vapors as i exhale through my nose. there's also a very small amount of earthy bitterness near the end, taking on a chocolatey flavor from being combined with the honey.

MF- one thing is for sure- this cream ale is creamy. unfortunately, the nice full feeling is compromised by a cloying sugary film that forms on the inside of my cheeks and a high level of carbonation.

D- fruit beers aren't my favorite style, but orange blossom is my favorite variety of honey so i had to give this a try. i've had some terrible fruit beers and i've had some OK fruit beers, but my mind's eye still imagines something quintessential that i have yet to taste. that being said, bill's orange blossom cream ale is a pretty decent brew, mostly because they've highlighted the floral essence of the orange rather than the plain fruitiness of the juice. still- sweet, sugary, gave me a headache.

3.32/5  rDev +9.9%

Like many of the other reviews here, the aroma from this was not exactly beer-like, but enjoyable nevertheless --very orange. There was almost no head to this beer. I think I may have liked it a bit more had the taste been a bit less fruity. I like the fruit as an undertone to the beer, but there wasn't a trace of hops in this. I might try it again, but not in a hurry. It's a good summer sort of brew, I guess, but I wouldn't be able to drink more than one probably.

2.75/5  rDev -8.9%

First off, this beer was not my idea but my brother's. Every time I get a beer, he tastes it and makes this ridiculous disgusted face. So we were looking for beer that didn't taste like beer, and it seems we found it. So I decided to pour it into a pint glass and give it a try.

Appearance-wise, this may as will be macro swill. It had about as much head as your average ginger ale, and it lasted just as long, which is to say not at all. Carbonation was very large bubbled and overall this looked more like cream soda than ale. The aroma is the best part, as it really does smell like orange blossoms and honey. The flavor is similar, all orange and honey but the beer is poorly balanced, no hops to be detected and pretty weak malt as well. The result is a cloyingly sweet, flowery inital sip followed by a bland, bready aftertaste. I'd rather let this one sit in the glass and smell it instead of drinking it.

2.87/5  rDev -5%

A - pale yellow, little to no head, zero lacing

S - very, very orangey... like an orange... seriously

T- like Sunkist, seriously, like Sunkist... it's almost one of those beers that some government agency would accuse Buffalo Bill of trying to sell little beers to girls with. The orange is just too much. My girlfriend likes it and that's a bad sign.

M - BUBBLY! Like Sunkist.

D - anyone could drink it all day... if they like Sunkist!

2.83/5  rDev -6.3%

The second of two beers I brought home from tonight's surprise birthday party, this is another exploration of "beers I wouldn't normally try or buy but will do so because they're free for the taking". Poured this twist-capped 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass.

"Ale brewed with honey, orange peel, and natural flavor, with orange flower extract added" reads the label.

A: A fizzy white cap of creamy froth caps this one. Plenty of rising streams of small bubbles rise through a thinly-haze golden-straw brew. No lace to speak of.

S: Wow, that is some kind of 'orange' bursting from this one! As I'm someone who enjoys the sweet, juicy smell of a ripe Naval or Valencia, I'm puzzled as to why I don't like this better. Maybe it smells too much of Tang breakfast drink. Or Sunkist. Or of the orange peel essence we sometimes must spray in the men's room at work. A thin malty breadiness sneaks through, otherwise all I smell is a rather artificially pungent orange.

T: Taste-wise this isn't too bad, actually. Orange is more subdued than what the aroma presented, allowing for soft floral and honey notes to coat doughy wheat. A little toasted - graham crackers come to mind. Then again, there is a coating of orange that is all about the sweet fleshy citrus, not the NW varieties of hops we sometimes say have 'citrus notes'. Malty cream al is evident beneath the orange-ness and it seems pretty decent. Still I can't score better than a 3...

M: Smooth and creamy, mouthfeel is light. Soft and sweet initially, some sticking malts in the finish.

D: In fact I did kinda like the quirkiness of this beer, its charms did wear off on me just a little. Despite an overtly 'ORANGE' aroma (yikes!), this did have some flavors and mouthfeel that I enjoyed. I could have this again if my arm was twisted, and I'll bet it could be pretty tasty on a warm day.

2.76/5  rDev -8.6%

This brew poured a bright straw hued gold with a slight haze. I was able to produce a decent bright white effervescent head with the pour, but in less than a minute it dissipated to nothing more than a thin ring about the edge of the glass. No lacing was left as I sip this down. The beer has a strong aroma of sweet candied orange and honey with soft floral notes...somewhat sweet but not bad at all. The first sip shows a beer with a very light body which is suprisingly refreshing. The highly carbonated brew's flavor is dominated by orange and floral flavors with tones of crisp honey. There is very little malt or hop character apparent in this brew...very light body and almost no bitterness. Flavor leads from floral orange to slight residual sweetness, but is matched by alcohol and maybe just enough hops to cover sweetness as the brew finishes pretty clean, but with no bitterness/drying. Overall, not offensive by any means but also not impressive. Clean, crisp, refreshing, yet also thin, fizzy, and artificial, this brew has decent drinkabilty but is lackluster in depth of flavor and body.

2.2/5  rDev -27.2%

Pretty much yer average-looking beer...definitely an appropriately orange tint to the yellow, with a small head that disappears in a flash.

Aroma is big unsubtle orange, and a plastic, artificial-smelling orange at that. It's not total Lysol, because some honey comes through, as does a very faint milky sweetness. I love creamsicles, but I'm not sure I like it in my beer, and that's what I'm reminded of the more I smell it.

Gah!! Is this soda? Without the alcohol, which clearly skews the flavor even at a relatively low 4.9%, this would absolutely taste like an orange cream soda. It also has an intrusive, unappealing plastic aftertaste that made me drop it another half-point.

Mouthfeel? Think soda.

Drinkable for people who hate beer and love soda. All others: avoid. I love cream soda, and an orange cream soda/creamsicle flavor can be fantastic. I would even welcome a beer that could pull it off, but this really can't, and doesn't.

3.16/5  rDev +4.6%

Short, stout, 12 oz, single bottle purchased from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield...
Pours a lucid, cleear, tawny, light-amber, golden colored hue with rising carbonation and a decent-sized foamy head that exhibited adequate staying power before finally receding and leaving behind a minimal amount of lacing...
"Ale brewed with honey, orange peel, and natural flavor, with orange flower extract added" on the front logo sticker...
The aroma was all about oranges and nectarines, with a subtle hint of florals thrown into the mix...
Taste was different and unique for a beer, with obvious nuances of tangerines, orange peel, spices, honey, cream, and a tinge of vanilla...
Slightly watered-down, loose mouthfeel, however the drinkability wasn't bad, especially due to the low alcohol percentage...
Worth a shot because of its unique factors, but nothing above and beyond...

2.26/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured an orangish gold with a slight head that faded rather quickly. Smells are kind of floral with orange and spices. Slick mouthfeel that has a carbonated orange drink at first then lends to almost a creamy feeling. Maybe a slight hop bitterness on the aftertaste. I think I would pass on this one if I ever came acrossed it again.

3.35/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured into a pint, the beer is amber with an off-white head.

The nose is floral with sweet and orange notes.

The base beer seems very light and it allows the orange flavor to really push through. It is sweet with a bit of malts emerging at mid glass. The flavors seem to mesh very well.

Highly carbonated, but slightly thin. Worth trying for the experience.

2.31/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours golden yellow with a creamy white head (that I expected to leave plenty of lacing - but it didn't much).

The smell is of orange blossom - make that orange soda-pop. The aroma is not necessarily unpleasant - but, where's the beer?

The taste is of orange soda-pop with a dollop of orange sherbet. Sweet, though stops short of really cloying.

Thin and fizzy with a touch of creaminess.

Maybe this would work if I loved orange soda-pop more. This is almost as bad as their pumpkin ale (though not quite), not as good as their blueberry oatmeal stout (not that that's saying much). Does this even qualify as beer?

Orange Blossom Cream Ale from Buffalo Bill's Brewery