Orange Blossom Cream Ale - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Reidrover on 12-13-2003

A light ale with hints of fresh orange. Brewed with sweet orange peel, orange blossom extract and honey.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 625 | Reviews: 355
2.5/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours a clear golden color with very little head. Smells like Sunkist orange soda...very sweet smelling. Taste is a bit more beer-like, but not by much. A little hint of grassy hops comes through towards the end of the taste. Finishes slightly dry and slick on the tongue. Tastes too watered down to be much more than a lite lager with orange hints.

If this beer had a bigger malt body, it would be OK. But as it is right now, no dice.

2.8/5  rDev -7.3%

This pours a light amber colour with a decent head. The bottle admits that it was actually brewed and bottled right here in Portland by the Portland Brewing Company.

The smell is a dead ringer for my grandmother's oranges in jelly (tinned mandarin slices in orange jello) which offers a pleasant, but rather fake orange aroma.

Unlike the other orange beer I've had (Caldera Dry Hop Orange) the flavour isn't subtle at all here. The orange (apparently from peel, honey and orange flower extract) taste is bold, but more like orange squash than orange juice.

The feeling that this isn't really beer at all is compounded by what seems like over carbonation. I like plenty of carbonation in my beer, but coupled with the flavour I am left feeling like I am drinking orangeade (orange pop) rather than beer. I much preferred the Caldera.

3.75/5  rDev +24.2%

Appearance - Pours as a clear amber color with a small but distinct head.

Smell - As the name implies, the smell of oranges will fill your nose. I was not able to really define any additional aromas due to the gentle, yet focused presentation.

Taste - If you like oranges (and you would otherwise this would still be on the shelf and you have moved on) this is the beer for you. I would place this as a very nice summer drinking beer except for the creamy texture described later. I did notice a nice hoppy taste as well, besides all the oranges...

Mouthfeel - Here's where the "creamy" descriptor resides. A previous reviewer described this as reminding him of a "creamsicle". That is an outstanding word to jog memories of how this beer feels. Very pleasant feel without a bite.

Drinkability - A very easy drinking beer. As mentioned previously, I would drink this as a summer beer, more specifically as a summer evening beer after a meal. One or two of these is sufficient to leave you in a "Florida orange grove" state of mind.

General comments: As a young boy, my family made the obligatory trips to Walt Disney World several times (we lived in NJ) in my pre-teen years. This beer took me back to the times we stopped along the road and bought bags of oranges to eat once we entered Florida. The aroma filled the car and this beer will fill your senses with the taste of "creamy oranges".

3.14/5  rDev +4%

Poured a crystal clear gold almost amber. Had a 1 finger head that dissapated quickly and left little lace. First whif is orange, upon a secong some of the sweet malt does come through. Not much hop presence detected. Tatste is very light, almost watery where malt is cocerned but the bitter sweet orange comes right through. It has fairly high carbonation is sweet and dry. You can probably only drink a 2 of these before you get really tired of the orangeness of it. Its OK for a change of pace but it is not a heavyweight it the world of beer. Worth a try but don't expect a lot unless you really love orange.

3.44/5  rDev +13.9%

Aroma was more apricot than orange. Interesting flavor going on here - flowery but not perfume-like - an essence of orange blossom, like walking through the orchard. Delicate orange flavor that was ephemeral, like when I was a kid and would pinch off the base of a honeysuckle bloom for a tiny drop of nectar. A little dry and astringent at the finish. Overall, the flavor was nice, yet not really enough to carry the beer - after the initial intrigue with the floral aspect, interest fell off fairly quickly. Not really a good summer cooler because I think the orange blossom note would get tedious.

3.57/5  rDev +18.2%

Light bodied, very nice clear orangish amber color with a modest and short lived white head.

The aroma is Orange zest with a touch of honet and orange blossoms, very nice.

The Taste is the same. Very light beer base, the flavor is all in the orange rind and flower extract. Unusual but rather pleasant. Only slightly sweet, just enough to balance the bite from the orange rind. Not exactly my style of beer but I think I could enjoy it as a hot weather cooler.

Should work well with lighter foods such as salads.

This is one that some will hate and some will love, give it a try if it sounds like sometrhing you could like.

3.47/5  rDev +14.9%

Very clear orange. I can see my fingerprints through the glass. Head starts off well but recedes to a thin veil. Bubbles rise continuously.

Cointreau orange aroma. This smells wonderfull.

Starts off dry and almost tasteless. A bitter orange peel taste develops slowly, peaks late and recedes. The aftertaste is honey and flower. After smelling this beer the taste is nothing but disappointing.

The feel is dry and light, bordering on watery. Effervescent.

I usually don't go for flavored sparkling water and this beer is just about that.

3.42/5  rDev +13.2%

This beer's smell was almost as impressive as the taste. After a few drinks, it reminds me of a creamcicle. A very light beer with a heavy orange flavor. In the after taste, there are hints of cloves and other christmas beer like flavors. Not a bad beer but the orange flavor tastes more like the peels rather than the fruit.

2.6/5  rDev -13.9%

Okay, call me a sucker. I went into one of my favorite local joints looking for something new in my beer tasting escapades and maybe pick-up some orange soda while I was at it (no, kidding, I literally had these two things in my mind) Maybe I'm from Waponi-Woo, who knows! Well as I hit the beer aisle I saw stacks and stacks of these in six pack form. "What's this?!" I exclaimed. Orange Cream Ale, oh dear god, somebody is toying with me. Not only do I like ale, especially cream ale, but orange too? Had to buy it. Time to jump into the big woo.

It poured out a crystal clear and clean almost copper color with a very thin head that didn't stick around for the big leap. Nose is very sugary smelling, smacks of a harsh version of Tang or something. Taste is very crisp to begin with, a orange explosion in my mouth, there is a certain duality going on here. The first taste of orange almost tastes like actual orange juice but that quickly gets supressed by a chemical-like artificial orange flavor, again... like Tang. This finally trails off and there is an almost afterthought-like beer character at the end, a bit malty and barely there. I agree with the earlier reviewer that with some hop kick this could really be a good brew, it just needs to taste more like..well, beer.

This really does not taste like beer, it barely qualifies. It's like watered down orange soda mixed with beer in a 70-30 mix.

Really, not that bad, interesting to say the least and worth the 6.99 for a sixer just to pass around to friends. In the end though, I think I'll keep my beer and orange soda seperate for the time being.

As a sidenote, the bottle, label and packaging are very nicely done. Very attractive.

"Take me to the volcano!"

3.87/5  rDev +28.1%

Pours from the bottle a somewhat cloudy golden orange with a small bubbly head. Orange Kool-Aid smell upfront mixed with sweet honey tones....very fruity and quite unique. I like it.

First sip comes with the same orange Kool-Aid flavor along with a nice pale maltiness and some sweet honey notes. There's a slight creaminess as well making it somewhat like a liquid dreamsicle. An interesting fruit beer to say the least.

Nice mouthfeel with a medium body that's easy drinking and quite refreshing. This is a brew I could enjoy every now and again, definetly worth a shot...especially if you like orange.

3.97/5  rDev +31.5%

Clear orange-gold color, no head at all. This beer smells just like the Shasta's I used to drink at my grandparents'. Flavor is similar, not so much beer as like those fruity soda-pops sold at grocery store chains. Very light malt, undetectable bitterness, with some hints of vanilla and citrus twang. Somewhat sweet, but not cloying. Body is highly spritzy.

Talk about a wacky beer--I like it! Not very complex and not for everyone, but it reminds me of some Belgian wits that are as drinkable as soda.

3.52/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a pale light golden with a thin wispy white head,very effervescent orange aroma with a toasted cereal grain in there as well pleasant.Tastes like orange flavored cheerios kinda odd comparison but it reaaly fits for this beer like drinking tang with the morning cheerios.A winter seasonal seems kinda odd for this brew seems much more of a summer beer.Not a really bad beer I could see myself drinking this on a hot summer afternoon here in NC.

2.36/5  rDev -21.9%

I noticed this beer had sold down to the last single and I thought it would be an impressive ale with fruity lambic-like citrus but without the sourness. I was partially right, it had a simple artifical-esque orange flavor that didn't appeal to me the closer I got to the end of it. It was drinkable in small quantities, I feel sorry for any one who bought a six pack.

It was like a pop (or soda) that happened to have beer in it. This would probably fit in if you were doing a fruit-flavor tasting to attract the ladies. Or if you just want unusual flavor to match with orange sherbert on your menu.

The lable says, brewed and bottled under contract so I don't know if there's other flavors to try. Worth trying, make sure there's someone (or more) to share it with.

3.35/5  rDev +10.9%

I picked up a six-pack of this at a Dallas Central Market on a recent beer/cheese buying trek. The label was so reminiscent of an old-fashioned citrus crate, that the impulse hit me -- I bit -- even though I'm not big on flavored beers.

The beer poured a clear amber gold, with a quick-fading head. In fact, by the time I smelled the beer, which reminded me of orange-flavored alka seltzer (not too strong on the orange, but definitely there), the head was completely gone.

The taste was definitely orange, but not over the top. It was actually pretty good -- very crisp and clean -- with a vague malty orange finish. It didn't have a lot of snap to it, which is something I prefer in beer, which is why I graded it lower in the mouthfeel category. I think some added hops could do wonders for this brew.

This is definitely a novelty. I'll probably share the other five brews. I don't see myself buying this again, unless it's to serve at a party.

3.92/5  rDev +29.8%

Aroma: Orange cream hard candy smell
Appearance: Orange glass, with a nice white head that showed rings of lace as I drank.
Flavor: Orange sugary candy, like those Halloween Orange slice gummy sugar coated affairs.
Mouthfeel: Medium body with strong carbonation and a slow fading mouth coat
Overall Impression: Orange. A light easy to drink “beer” that skirts the line with malternative. Not complex, not challenging, an easy session beer for a warm day, or heck, even a cold one.

3.8/5  rDev +25.8%

This pours a clear orange body with a small, sudsy offwhite head that lasts about a minute. Minimal lacing.
Aroma is of a Fanta or Nehi orange soda.
Mouthfeel is light bodied with soda pop carbonation.
Taste again evokes Fanta orange soda. Lemony citrus hop bitterness and orange peel provide a nice bittering balance. This tastes much better than expected, with a crisp and refreshing finish and aftertaste.
Nice drinkability, and an ideal palate cleanser. There is a pleasant, orange blossom honey character here that I find endearing. This would be really nice on a warm, summer evening, with steamed shellfish.

3.59/5  rDev +18.9%

11/3/04- Purchased at Buffalo Bill's Brewery in Hayward, CA

Appearance- Pours an orangish/amber color with a tiny head that quickly disappeared and zilch lacing.

Smell- Smells of malt and sharp orange emerge from the glass.

Taste- A pretty hefty artificial oranginsh taste, maybe like orange now and laters, a decent taste of malt and maybe a hop hidden in there. Not a bad flavor.

Mouthfeel- Kinda like drinking an orange soda, but with alcohol! Not overly carbonated though. Finishes dry and crisp.

Drinkability- More of a summer, warm weather beer. I did enjoy it though and would buy it again. A nice thirst quencher with a fruity kick to it.

4.37/5  rDev +44.7%

This beer pours an orange-gold color with very little head and no lacing on the glass. The aroma is all orange - like an orange cream soda or as my friend Kevin says, that orange drink from McDonald's. Very light body and the flavor is just like the aroma. Not very beer-like, but it's really enjoyable to drink. I could drink these all night. A little light for a cream ale, but it still tastes really good.

3.28/5  rDev +8.6%

This one pours a peachy color, with a finger of head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is all oranges up in my face, like the orange drink from McDonald's. Not exactly what I want from my beer. The flavor is also much the same as the McDonald's orange drink. Not much beer in there. Its not bad, but its not what I want from a beer, even if it is in the fruit beer style. This is way too over the top on the orange. The feel is moderate to thick, with a nice creamy texture. Drinkability is fairly good. I still have to give it some lower marks. Its a refreshing beer, just too far away from beer for me.

3.55/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a brilliant copper-gold color. It is topped by a rapidly disappearing off white head. The aroma is of vanilla cream orange soda as I pour it, as I go in for a deeper sniff this is even more apparent. To be honest I don't smell any beery aspects. The taste is lightly sweet up front and as you swallow this beer the orange really opens up and expresses itself. This is very smooth, with no bitterness at all, which would perhaps be out of place in this beer. This is actually not too bad, if I wanted something refreshing, light and fruity on a hot summer day outside in the sun, I might actually reach for this. I can see this really appealing to certain segments of the beer drinking public.

3.08/5  rDev +2%

Got this from a friend who recently visited Eugene, OR (even though the brewery is in CA)

A strong pour brings out a 1/2 head that beats a hasty retreat. Beer is gold in color, with an orange tint.

Aroma reminds me of Sunkist soda. Not much else is discernable in the nose (hops, maybe?) but I expected as much.

Beer is sweeter than you might expect. Malt is in there somewhere but an orange marmalade sweetness dominates. Light and fruity, with no real aftertaste. Almost like orange-flavored seltzer.

Not bad as a novelty, but I'd get tired of this quick if it was a daily brew.

3.5/5  rDev +15.9%

Upon its decamping the 12-ounce brown bottle the beer sets in the glass an unclouded golden amber color with a middling in size frothy white head that dissolves quickly leaving a velum like sheet of lace upon the glass. Nose is sweet orange blossoms, fresh and crisp, start is nicely malted and somewhat sweet and the top light to medium in feel. Finish is dynamically acidic with the hops subdued and pleasantly spicy, very dry aftertaste a quite nice beer overall.

I really don't know how to review this beer. It was nothing more than a melted creamsicle in a bottle. The nose and taste was incredibly orange. I have to admit that it was good tasting, but I had a very hard time remembering that I was drinking beer. I can imagine that the ladies may enjoy this. I gave it 3s on everything because I just can't get around the fact that it is good, but not good for beer. At least it is worth a try.

1.75/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Some would say my sense of humor is poor, typically English, or just down right non-existent. But never let it be said that I don’t like a laugh. As such I started to stick one “joke beer” into each of a couple of Trades that I had with BigHuge.

Seems like he finally reciprocated, and got his own back tonight big time.

I just don’t know what to say here.

Thin.
Watery.
Orangey.

I kept thinking orange flavored Soda water. In fact, if there are any people familiar with Orange Tango, a soft drink made in the UK by Britvic, think of Orange Tango and you’re on the nail with this one.

It feels so right, it feels so fair,
The orange pulp went everywhere,
It’s in my toes and in my hair,
And I’m not wearing underwear.
So there.
….you know when you’ve been Tango’d.

So says the advert. Orange Tango was synonymous with crazy ass adverts in the UK, many of which got pulled, just like this product should.

I’ve been Tango’d tonight.

It’s gonna take me a while to top the lows of this one Huge!!!

Now I need a beer...

3.11/5  rDev +3%

It smells like an ice tea with fruit flavoring, but not too strong. It pours as a dull orange colored liquid (surprise) with some head that doesn't last. It tastes like a sweet beer with an orange taste as you swallow and a sweet aftertaste. Yes, it is creamy. If you like Orange Crush/Sunkist/Minute Maid with a lot of beer taste in it, this is for you. It is too sweet to have more another after finishing the first.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Orange Blossom Cream Ale from Buffalo Bill's Brewery