Orange Blossom Cream Ale - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

awful

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

A light ale with hints of fresh orange. Brewed with sweet orange peel, orange blossom extract and honey.

(Beer added by: Reidrover on 12-13-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orange Blossom Cream Ale Alström Bros
2.58/5  rDev -14.3%

Okay, call me a sucker. I went into one of my favorite local joints looking for something new in my beer tasting escapades and maybe pick-up some orange soda while I was at it (no, kidding, I literally had these two things in my mind) Maybe I'm from Waponi-Woo, who knows! Well as I hit the beer aisle I saw stacks and stacks of these in six pack form. "What's this?!" I exclaimed. Orange Cream Ale, oh dear god, somebody is toying with me. Not only do I like ale, especially cream ale, but orange too? Had to buy it. Time to jump into the big woo.

It poured out a crystal clear and clean almost copper color with a very thin head that didn't stick around for the big leap. Nose is very sugary smelling, smacks of a harsh version of Tang or something. Taste is very crisp to begin with, a orange explosion in my mouth, there is a certain duality going on here. The first taste of orange almost tastes like actual orange juice but that quickly gets supressed by a chemical-like artificial orange flavor, again... like Tang. This finally trails off and there is an almost afterthought-like beer character at the end, a bit malty and barely there. I agree with the earlier reviewer that with some hop kick this could really be a good brew, it just needs to taste more like..well, beer.

This really does not taste like beer, it barely qualifies. It's like watered down orange soda mixed with beer in a 70-30 mix.

Really, not that bad, interesting to say the least and worth the 6.99 for a sixer just to pass around to friends. In the end though, I think I'll keep my beer and orange soda seperate for the time being.

As a sidenote, the bottle, label and packaging are very nicely done. Very attractive.

"Take me to the volcano!"

Gaisgeil, Feb 21, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +28.9%

Pours from the bottle a somewhat cloudy golden orange with a small bubbly head. Orange Kool-Aid smell upfront mixed with sweet honey tones....very fruity and quite unique. I like it.

First sip comes with the same orange Kool-Aid flavor along with a nice pale maltiness and some sweet honey notes. There's a slight creaminess as well making it somewhat like a liquid dreamsicle. An interesting fruit beer to say the least.

Nice mouthfeel with a medium body that's easy drinking and quite refreshing. This is a brew I could enjoy every now and again, definetly worth a shot...especially if you like orange.

orbitalr0x, Feb 12, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +33.9%

Clear orange-gold color, no head at all. This beer smells just like the Shasta's I used to drink at my grandparents'. Flavor is similar, not so much beer as like those fruity soda-pops sold at grocery store chains. Very light malt, undetectable bitterness, with some hints of vanilla and citrus twang. Somewhat sweet, but not cloying. Body is highly spritzy.

Talk about a wacky beer--I like it! Not very complex and not for everyone, but it reminds me of some Belgian wits that are as drinkable as soda.

allengarvin, Feb 09, 2005
3.53/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours a pale light golden with a thin wispy white head,very effervescent orange aroma with a toasted cereal grain in there as well pleasant.Tastes like orange flavored cheerios kinda odd comparison but it reaaly fits for this beer like drinking tang with the morning cheerios.A winter seasonal seems kinda odd for this brew seems much more of a summer beer.Not a really bad beer I could see myself drinking this on a hot summer afternoon here in NC.

oberon, Feb 06, 2005
2.38/5  rDev -20.9%

I noticed this beer had sold down to the last single and I thought it would be an impressive ale with fruity lambic-like citrus but without the sourness. I was partially right, it had a simple artifical-esque orange flavor that didn't appeal to me the closer I got to the end of it. It was drinkable in small quantities, I feel sorry for any one who bought a six pack.

It was like a pop (or soda) that happened to have beer in it. This would probably fit in if you were doing a fruit-flavor tasting to attract the ladies. Or if you just want unusual flavor to match with orange sherbert on your menu.

The lable says, brewed and bottled under contract so I don't know if there's other flavors to try. Worth trying, make sure there's someone (or more) to share it with.

Dotcubed, Jan 31, 2005
3.35/5  rDev +11.3%

I picked up a six-pack of this at a Dallas Central Market on a recent beer/cheese buying trek. The label was so reminiscent of an old-fashioned citrus crate, that the impulse hit me -- I bit -- even though I'm not big on flavored beers.

The beer poured a clear amber gold, with a quick-fading head. In fact, by the time I smelled the beer, which reminded me of orange-flavored alka seltzer (not too strong on the orange, but definitely there), the head was completely gone.

The taste was definitely orange, but not over the top. It was actually pretty good -- very crisp and clean -- with a vague malty orange finish. It didn't have a lot of snap to it, which is something I prefer in beer, which is why I graded it lower in the mouthfeel category. I think some added hops could do wonders for this brew.

This is definitely a novelty. I'll probably share the other five brews. I don't see myself buying this again, unless it's to serve at a party.

LiquidBreadMan, Jan 23, 2005
3.93/5  rDev +30.6%

Aroma: Orange cream hard candy smell
Appearance: Orange glass, with a nice white head that showed rings of lace as I drank.
Flavor: Orange sugary candy, like those Halloween Orange slice gummy sugar coated affairs.
Mouthfeel: Medium body with strong carbonation and a slow fading mouth coat
Overall Impression: Orange. A light easy to drink “beer” that skirts the line with malternative. Not complex, not challenging, an easy session beer for a warm day, or heck, even a cold one.

HardTarget, Jan 02, 2005
3.83/5  rDev +27.2%

This pours a clear orange body with a small, sudsy offwhite head that lasts about a minute. Minimal lacing.
Aroma is of a Fanta or Nehi orange soda.
Mouthfeel is light bodied with soda pop carbonation.
Taste again evokes Fanta orange soda. Lemony citrus hop bitterness and orange peel provide a nice bittering balance. This tastes much better than expected, with a crisp and refreshing finish and aftertaste.
Nice drinkability, and an ideal palate cleanser. There is a pleasant, orange blossom honey character here that I find endearing. This would be really nice on a warm, summer evening, with steamed shellfish.

merlin48, Nov 07, 2004
3.58/5  rDev +18.9%

11/3/04- Purchased at Buffalo Bill's Brewery in Hayward, CA

Appearance- Pours an orangish/amber color with a tiny head that quickly disappeared and zilch lacing.

Smell- Smells of malt and sharp orange emerge from the glass.

Taste- A pretty hefty artificial oranginsh taste, maybe like orange now and laters, a decent taste of malt and maybe a hop hidden in there. Not a bad flavor.

Mouthfeel- Kinda like drinking an orange soda, but with alcohol! Not overly carbonated though. Finishes dry and crisp.

Drinkability- More of a summer, warm weather beer. I did enjoy it though and would buy it again. A nice thirst quencher with a fruity kick to it.

GClarkage, Nov 04, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +46.2%

This beer pours an orange-gold color with very little head and no lacing on the glass. The aroma is all orange - like an orange cream soda or as my friend Kevin says, that orange drink from McDonald's. Very light body and the flavor is just like the aroma. Not very beer-like, but it's really enjoyable to drink. I could drink these all night. A little light for a cream ale, but it still tastes really good.

clvand0, Nov 01, 2004
3.28/5  rDev +9%

This one pours a peachy color, with a finger of head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is all oranges up in my face, like the orange drink from McDonald's. Not exactly what I want from my beer. The flavor is also much the same as the McDonald's orange drink. Not much beer in there. Its not bad, but its not what I want from a beer, even if it is in the fruit beer style. This is way too over the top on the orange. The feel is moderate to thick, with a nice creamy texture. Drinkability is fairly good. I still have to give it some lower marks. Its a refreshing beer, just too far away from beer for me.

kmpitz2, Oct 29, 2004
3.55/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a brilliant copper-gold color. It is topped by a rapidly disappearing off white head. The aroma is of vanilla cream orange soda as I pour it, as I go in for a deeper sniff this is even more apparent. To be honest I don't smell any beery aspects. The taste is lightly sweet up front and as you swallow this beer the orange really opens up and expresses itself. This is very smooth, with no bitterness at all, which would perhaps be out of place in this beer. This is actually not too bad, if I wanted something refreshing, light and fruity on a hot summer day outside in the sun, I might actually reach for this. I can see this really appealing to certain segments of the beer drinking public.

Gueuzedude, Oct 18, 2004
3.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Got this from a friend who recently visited Eugene, OR (even though the brewery is in CA)

A strong pour brings out a 1/2 head that beats a hasty retreat. Beer is gold in color, with an orange tint.

Aroma reminds me of Sunkist soda. Not much else is discernable in the nose (hops, maybe?) but I expected as much.

Beer is sweeter than you might expect. Malt is in there somewhere but an orange marmalade sweetness dominates. Light and fruity, with no real aftertaste. Almost like orange-flavored seltzer.

Not bad as a novelty, but I'd get tired of this quick if it was a daily brew.

Hunter, Oct 08, 2004
3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Upon its decamping the 12-ounce brown bottle the beer sets in the glass an unclouded golden amber color with a middling in size frothy white head that dissolves quickly leaving a velum like sheet of lace upon the glass. Nose is sweet orange blossoms, fresh and crisp, start is nicely malted and somewhat sweet and the top light to medium in feel. Finish is dynamically acidic with the hops subdued and pleasantly spicy, very dry aftertaste a quite nice beer overall.

Gusler, Oct 07, 2004

I really don't know how to review this beer. It was nothing more than a melted creamsicle in a bottle. The nose and taste was incredibly orange. I have to admit that it was good tasting, but I had a very hard time remembering that I was drinking beer. I can imagine that the ladies may enjoy this. I gave it 3s on everything because I just can't get around the fact that it is good, but not good for beer. At least it is worth a try.

ALESwhatCURESya, Sep 26, 2004
1.7/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Some would say my sense of humor is poor, typically English, or just down right non-existent. But never let it be said that I don’t like a laugh. As such I started to stick one “joke beer” into each of a couple of Trades that I had with BigHuge.

Seems like he finally reciprocated, and got his own back tonight big time.

I just don’t know what to say here.

Thin.
Watery.
Orangey.

I kept thinking orange flavored Soda water. In fact, if there are any people familiar with Orange Tango, a soft drink made in the UK by Britvic, think of Orange Tango and you’re on the nail with this one.

It feels so right, it feels so fair,
The orange pulp went everywhere,
It’s in my toes and in my hair,
And I’m not wearing underwear.
So there.
….you know when you’ve been Tango’d.

So says the advert. Orange Tango was synonymous with crazy ass adverts in the UK, many of which got pulled, just like this product should.

I’ve been Tango’d tonight.

It’s gonna take me a while to top the lows of this one Huge!!!

Now I need a beer...

TheLongBeachBum, Sep 24, 2004
3.13/5  rDev +4%

It smells like an ice tea with fruit flavoring, but not too strong. It pours as a dull orange colored liquid (surprise) with some head that doesn't last. It tastes like a sweet beer with an orange taste as you swallow and a sweet aftertaste. Yes, it is creamy. If you like Orange Crush/Sunkist/Minute Maid with a lot of beer taste in it, this is for you. It is too sweet to have more another after finishing the first.

misterscooter, Sep 14, 2004
2.13/5  rDev -29.2%

A single bottle of indeterminate age and origin. Pours nearly headless with bouquet of orange soda. Indeed, the entire flavor is consumed with orange, and it seems somewhat artificial or chemical. I suppose it is somewhat refreshing in its way, but this is more akin to a soda than a beer. The orange flavor is sweet, like candy, rather than tart. I think orange flavors, if done well, could marry interestingly with citric hop flavors, but in this case there aren't any hop flavors to speak of. I had a delicious dinner tonight and this sweet confection has obliterated all memory of it. The "cream" in the title is nowhere to be found; the beer is decidedly slick and fizzy. If you want beer, stay away. If you want a soda pop type beverage, you might like this. To be fair, the mouthfeel does manage to be refreshing, and the beverage goes down smoothly enough; just not enough beer flavor. As a malternative, I suppose this will satisfy some. As a beer, however, it is diabolical.

Thrasher, Sep 10, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - orange-tinted gold color. Soda-pop head spritzes to a finger or so before subsiding to some stray surface bubbles.

Aroma - definite orange, sugary nose, like a popsicle, orange jello or soda.

Taste - it's an orange-owned operation all the way. A light feathery, watery orange flavor starts, a little like Gatorade. The sweetness is kept in check by the bubbles. After the swallow the orange taste intensifies on the sides and towards the back of my tongue, like I'm tasting orange syrup but without the heaviness. A tiny bit of sourness on the aftertaste, maybe hops but not sure. Ends with an orange Pez taste in the mouth. A fun twist on the often passed-over cream ale style.

Mouthfeel - light and crisp per the style, the carbonation gives the taste some added appeal.

Drinkability - I like Bert Grant's Mandarin Hefe and this one is just as tasty. Somewhat alco-poppish, yes, but distinctive and tasty nonetheless. The sweetness might knock it down a peg, but I could handle a few of these with no complaints.

brewdlyhooked13, Aug 26, 2004
3.2/5  rDev +6.3%

This brew is a clear orange color with lots of bubbles. Very thin off-white head that vanished right away, as well as quick lacing. Light honey and spice aroma. Light body with a crisp character, and tastes of orange soda, sweet honey and a touch of spice. The finish is light on flavor but is consistently tangy. All in all this is an unassuming beer that is light on flavor but is easy to drink.

Dogbrick, Aug 25, 2004
1.83/5  rDev -39.2%

Golden hued, touched with haze and swirling bursts of carbonation. The head is barely more than a skim, but it lasts for a while.
Nose is all orange sherbert and nothing but, except for a fizziness (which is less a smell than a tactile perception in the nostrils) that suggests Orange Crush.
Taste is heavily -if not entirely- centered around that vanilla-tinged orange. Seltzer water, or probably more like orange soda. Malt traits are unidentifiable. As are any hop contibutions.
Light bodied and fizzy, like, um, orange soda.
It appears drinkable as a summertime thirst question for a moment or two, but the one-dimensionality soon catches up and makes this beer a chore, even in a single 12oz dose.
As this warms further, it is simple unfinishable.

cokes, Aug 18, 2004
2.85/5  rDev -5.3%

This brew poured an attractive orange-gold but had practically no head or lacing to speak of. The smell was intriguing, mostly notes of citrus orange with complimentary notes of vanilla and malt. As others have noted, it really does have a strong "orangesicle" smell to it - which is not necessarily a bad thing...

The taste, while interesting, fell a bit short of the mark. Whomever thought that orange might be an interesting taste to add to beer had a pretty good idea, they just seemed to have added it to a pretty mediocre beer. There's a pretty good balance between a sweet orange note and a malt flavoring, but the beer itself tasted like an off-day lager. Mouthfeel was a bit disappointing as well, the beer was a bit heavy (perhaps from the lack of carbonation) without any crisp finish.

I found this beer somewhat frustrating because it seemed like they -almost- got it right. If it had been me designing this beer, I would have started with a crisp, hoppy pilsner (or perhaps even a light wheat beer) and then added an orange note, emphasizing the crisp light taste of the orange. Instead they choose to emphasize the sweetness by adding honey and ended up with something that misses the mark. That said, this would be an okay beer for a change of pace on a hot summer day but I wouldn't consider putting it into regular rotation...

RedwoodGeorge, Jul 21, 2004
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

The taste and smell were the only two good things about this beer. Well, those, and the end of the bottle. If I was a little bit richer, I would have poured this out. At any rate, it was like an orange popsickle mixed with beer. Whoever came up with this idea needs to be firmly punished. Maybe even flogged. This beer was sickeningly sweet and was just bad. I don't really know why I got it, but the only reason I can think of is just being adventuresome. In short, stay away from this. Unless you are hard up for karma points. 8)

JISurfer, Jul 04, 2004
1.68/5  rDev -44.2%

Clear golden-orange in color with a white head that quickly diminishes to a ring. The aroma is sweet, and of orange. It reminds me of an orange soda. It has a bit of malt aroma in the back. The flavor is of orange with a tad bit of malts. It is like a watered down orange soda. It finishes somewhat dry. It is a light bodied “beer”, if you wanna call it that, it seems more like an alcopop than a beer. Don’t bother on this one. It is a piss poor excuse for a beer.

Sampled 3/26/04

BeerBuilder, Jun 29, 2004
4.08/5  rDev +35.5%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It has a light and refreshing orange scent along with a bit of pale malt aroma. The taste is good. It has a light malt core with an extremely flavorful orange taste that is achieved through the use of orange peels. It tastes like your drinking orange soda. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with excellent carbonation. This is a fine fruit style brew. The aroma and taste are out of this world. One of the best I've had.

WesWes, Jun 26, 2004