Orange Blossom Cream Ale - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

awful

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

A light ale with hints of fresh orange. Brewed with sweet orange peel, orange blossom extract and honey.

(Beer added by: Reidrover on 12-13-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orange Blossom Cream Ale Alström Bros
3.28/5  rDev +9%

This one pours a peachy color, with a finger of head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is all oranges up in my face, like the orange drink from McDonald's. Not exactly what I want from my beer. The flavor is also much the same as the McDonald's orange drink. Not much beer in there. Its not bad, but its not what I want from a beer, even if it is in the fruit beer style. This is way too over the top on the orange. The feel is moderate to thick, with a nice creamy texture. Drinkability is fairly good. I still have to give it some lower marks. Its a refreshing beer, just too far away from beer for me.

kmpitz2, Oct 29, 2004
3.55/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a brilliant copper-gold color. It is topped by a rapidly disappearing off white head. The aroma is of vanilla cream orange soda as I pour it, as I go in for a deeper sniff this is even more apparent. To be honest I don't smell any beery aspects. The taste is lightly sweet up front and as you swallow this beer the orange really opens up and expresses itself. This is very smooth, with no bitterness at all, which would perhaps be out of place in this beer. This is actually not too bad, if I wanted something refreshing, light and fruity on a hot summer day outside in the sun, I might actually reach for this. I can see this really appealing to certain segments of the beer drinking public.

Gueuzedude, Oct 18, 2004
3.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Got this from a friend who recently visited Eugene, OR (even though the brewery is in CA)

A strong pour brings out a 1/2 head that beats a hasty retreat. Beer is gold in color, with an orange tint.

Aroma reminds me of Sunkist soda. Not much else is discernable in the nose (hops, maybe?) but I expected as much.

Beer is sweeter than you might expect. Malt is in there somewhere but an orange marmalade sweetness dominates. Light and fruity, with no real aftertaste. Almost like orange-flavored seltzer.

Not bad as a novelty, but I'd get tired of this quick if it was a daily brew.

Hunter, Oct 08, 2004
3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Upon its decamping the 12-ounce brown bottle the beer sets in the glass an unclouded golden amber color with a middling in size frothy white head that dissolves quickly leaving a velum like sheet of lace upon the glass. Nose is sweet orange blossoms, fresh and crisp, start is nicely malted and somewhat sweet and the top light to medium in feel. Finish is dynamically acidic with the hops subdued and pleasantly spicy, very dry aftertaste a quite nice beer overall.

Gusler, Oct 07, 2004

I really don't know how to review this beer. It was nothing more than a melted creamsicle in a bottle. The nose and taste was incredibly orange. I have to admit that it was good tasting, but I had a very hard time remembering that I was drinking beer. I can imagine that the ladies may enjoy this. I gave it 3s on everything because I just can't get around the fact that it is good, but not good for beer. At least it is worth a try.

ALESwhatCURESya, Sep 26, 2004
1.7/5  rDev -43.5%

Some would say my sense of humor is poor, typically English, or just down right non-existent. But never let it be said that I don’t like a laugh. As such I started to stick one “joke beer” into each of a couple of Trades that I had with BigHuge.

Seems like he finally reciprocated, and got his own back tonight big time.

I just don’t know what to say here.

Thin.
Watery.
Orangey.

I kept thinking orange flavored Soda water. In fact, if there are any people familiar with Orange Tango, a soft drink made in the UK by Britvic, think of Orange Tango and you’re on the nail with this one.

It feels so right, it feels so fair,
The orange pulp went everywhere,
It’s in my toes and in my hair,
And I’m not wearing underwear.
So there.
….you know when you’ve been Tango’d.

So says the advert. Orange Tango was synonymous with crazy ass adverts in the UK, many of which got pulled, just like this product should.

I’ve been Tango’d tonight.

It’s gonna take me a while to top the lows of this one Huge!!!

Now I need a beer...

TheLongBeachBum, Sep 24, 2004
3.13/5  rDev +4%

It smells like an ice tea with fruit flavoring, but not too strong. It pours as a dull orange colored liquid (surprise) with some head that doesn't last. It tastes like a sweet beer with an orange taste as you swallow and a sweet aftertaste. Yes, it is creamy. If you like Orange Crush/Sunkist/Minute Maid with a lot of beer taste in it, this is for you. It is too sweet to have more another after finishing the first.

misterscooter, Sep 14, 2004
2.13/5  rDev -29.2%

A single bottle of indeterminate age and origin. Pours nearly headless with bouquet of orange soda. Indeed, the entire flavor is consumed with orange, and it seems somewhat artificial or chemical. I suppose it is somewhat refreshing in its way, but this is more akin to a soda than a beer. The orange flavor is sweet, like candy, rather than tart. I think orange flavors, if done well, could marry interestingly with citric hop flavors, but in this case there aren't any hop flavors to speak of. I had a delicious dinner tonight and this sweet confection has obliterated all memory of it. The "cream" in the title is nowhere to be found; the beer is decidedly slick and fizzy. If you want beer, stay away. If you want a soda pop type beverage, you might like this. To be fair, the mouthfeel does manage to be refreshing, and the beverage goes down smoothly enough; just not enough beer flavor. As a malternative, I suppose this will satisfy some. As a beer, however, it is diabolical.

Thrasher, Sep 10, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +33.9%

Appearance - orange-tinted gold color. Soda-pop head spritzes to a finger or so before subsiding to some stray surface bubbles.

Aroma - definite orange, sugary nose, like a popsicle, orange jello or soda.

Taste - it's an orange-owned operation all the way. A light feathery, watery orange flavor starts, a little like Gatorade. The sweetness is kept in check by the bubbles. After the swallow the orange taste intensifies on the sides and towards the back of my tongue, like I'm tasting orange syrup but without the heaviness. A tiny bit of sourness on the aftertaste, maybe hops but not sure. Ends with an orange Pez taste in the mouth. A fun twist on the often passed-over cream ale style.

Mouthfeel - light and crisp per the style, the carbonation gives the taste some added appeal.

Drinkability - I like Bert Grant's Mandarin Hefe and this one is just as tasty. Somewhat alco-poppish, yes, but distinctive and tasty nonetheless. The sweetness might knock it down a peg, but I could handle a few of these with no complaints.

brewdlyhooked13, Aug 26, 2004
3.2/5  rDev +6.3%

This brew is a clear orange color with lots of bubbles. Very thin off-white head that vanished right away, as well as quick lacing. Light honey and spice aroma. Light body with a crisp character, and tastes of orange soda, sweet honey and a touch of spice. The finish is light on flavor but is consistently tangy. All in all this is an unassuming beer that is light on flavor but is easy to drink.

Dogbrick, Aug 25, 2004
1.83/5  rDev -39.2%

Golden hued, touched with haze and swirling bursts of carbonation. The head is barely more than a skim, but it lasts for a while.
Nose is all orange sherbert and nothing but, except for a fizziness (which is less a smell than a tactile perception in the nostrils) that suggests Orange Crush.
Taste is heavily -if not entirely- centered around that vanilla-tinged orange. Seltzer water, or probably more like orange soda. Malt traits are unidentifiable. As are any hop contibutions.
Light bodied and fizzy, like, um, orange soda.
It appears drinkable as a summertime thirst question for a moment or two, but the one-dimensionality soon catches up and makes this beer a chore, even in a single 12oz dose.
As this warms further, it is simple unfinishable.

cokes, Aug 18, 2004
2.85/5  rDev -5.3%

This brew poured an attractive orange-gold but had practically no head or lacing to speak of. The smell was intriguing, mostly notes of citrus orange with complimentary notes of vanilla and malt. As others have noted, it really does have a strong "orangesicle" smell to it - which is not necessarily a bad thing...

The taste, while interesting, fell a bit short of the mark. Whomever thought that orange might be an interesting taste to add to beer had a pretty good idea, they just seemed to have added it to a pretty mediocre beer. There's a pretty good balance between a sweet orange note and a malt flavoring, but the beer itself tasted like an off-day lager. Mouthfeel was a bit disappointing as well, the beer was a bit heavy (perhaps from the lack of carbonation) without any crisp finish.

I found this beer somewhat frustrating because it seemed like they -almost- got it right. If it had been me designing this beer, I would have started with a crisp, hoppy pilsner (or perhaps even a light wheat beer) and then added an orange note, emphasizing the crisp light taste of the orange. Instead they choose to emphasize the sweetness by adding honey and ended up with something that misses the mark. That said, this would be an okay beer for a change of pace on a hot summer day but I wouldn't consider putting it into regular rotation...

RedwoodGeorge, Jul 21, 2004

The taste and smell were the only two good things about this beer. Well, those, and the end of the bottle. If I was a little bit richer, I would have poured this out. At any rate, it was like an orange popsickle mixed with beer. Whoever came up with this idea needs to be firmly punished. Maybe even flogged. This beer was sickeningly sweet and was just bad. I don't really know why I got it, but the only reason I can think of is just being adventuresome. In short, stay away from this. Unless you are hard up for karma points. 8)

JISurfer, Jul 04, 2004
1.68/5  rDev -44.2%

Clear golden-orange in color with a white head that quickly diminishes to a ring. The aroma is sweet, and of orange. It reminds me of an orange soda. It has a bit of malt aroma in the back. The flavor is of orange with a tad bit of malts. It is like a watered down orange soda. It finishes somewhat dry. It is a light bodied “beer”, if you wanna call it that, it seems more like an alcopop than a beer. Don’t bother on this one. It is a piss poor excuse for a beer.

Sampled 3/26/04

BeerBuilder, Jun 29, 2004
4.08/5  rDev +35.5%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It has a light and refreshing orange scent along with a bit of pale malt aroma. The taste is good. It has a light malt core with an extremely flavorful orange taste that is achieved through the use of orange peels. It tastes like your drinking orange soda. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with excellent carbonation. This is a fine fruit style brew. The aroma and taste are out of this world. One of the best I've had.

WesWes, Jun 26, 2004
2.9/5  rDev -3.7%

I won't drink buy this one again, but for it's category it's OK...light orange color....no head...big orange gatorade smell...taste is not as big as the nose but a nice orange flavor...the honey is very light if at all noticable...it feels very thin and watery (perhaps by design)...Not my thing but for a fruit beer it at least smells and tastes like oranges....with a few tweaks it could be average....I'd suggest a fuller body....a bigger honey presence...and a slight softening of the big orange nose...

ZAP, Jun 18, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +41.2%

Wow was I suprised by this beer. I've had this in my fridge for about 2 months and finally decided this hot sweaty day was the day for this beer. Pours an amber/orange with a semi white/tan head that rose 2 inches then vanished into a little puddle of white. The lacing was average, it was traceable at best. The smell is a strong blast of orange citrus, it smells like an orange soda mixed with cream soda. Unbeliavably refreshing to the nose. The taste is phenomenal, upfront is a sweet orange/cream and in the rear is slight hops. The only downfall is that the sweetness is a little to much and the hops are almost untraceable to the tongue. This is a great summer beer, on this site it says winter but I can still find this in certain stores here in June so I don't know what the deal is with that. This is by far the best fruit beer I have ever had, I agree if you don't like orange/cream sodas you probably won't like this beer. Great for summer BBQ's.

beertaster13, Jun 16, 2004
3.58/5  rDev +18.9%

Was given this by a friend in a sampler ten pack he picked up while out near Chicago. Poured a light amber color with a whitish tight head that faded quickly. If you llike oranges then the aroma of this will send you to heaven.Very pronounced citrus smell with maybe a little floral bouquet.Light tasting body and the orange flavor is balanced well. Honey flavor comes through but gives way to the orange once again.
Actually quite a refreshing little number! Would I drink a sixer of this,no but on a hot summer day I'd have no problem pouring one or two of these.

david23, Jun 14, 2004
3.13/5  rDev +4%

Clear golden color with a large bubbled white head at first. Head slows to just cover the top with good carbonation and leaves no lace. Aroma is a cross between an orange soda and crushed St. Joe's baby aspirin. Tastes much like it smells and is strangely "gritty". Light bodied and airy overall.

Very strange but not completely unenjoyable...

Per label: "Brewed with honey, orange peel, and orange flower extract". Contract brewed by Portland Brewing Co, Portland, OR.

"04" Version (emb on bottom)
Tasted: 06/09/04

RBorsato, Jun 10, 2004
2.68/5  rDev -11%

Saw this one in the beer store and had to give it a try. I’m not a fan of fruity beers, but I don’t think I’ve ever had an orange beer.
Pours a deep straw color with a fizzy white head. It’s heavily carbonated. The smell is intense. At first, it smells a lot like orange soda. However, after a few sips, the aroma seems to be a little less artificial…something like orange peel.
It’s spritzy, fizzy, fruity, and light. Mildly sweet up front. No hop flavor at all. The taste is almost delicate, and restrained. To be honest, I didn’t get a lot out of this beer. It’s a soda-pop brew, and a disappointment.

Suds, Jun 05, 2004
3.4/5  rDev +13%

Is it orange soda or beer? ... ... You decide! It smells, and to a certain extent (it's not THAT sweet) tastes, like orange soda. Fanta, perhaps? Of course, an orange soda would hold a better head. But I digress. I actually liked this beer! It's an interesting and refreshing change of pace that should work very well on a hot summer's day in between brews. Some might reach for a malternative, but not me... I'll just grab an orange blossom!

NeroFiddled, May 30, 2004
2.93/5  rDev -2.7%

Amber/gold in color with almost no head (I'm guessing the orange oils squashed any chance of a head!) Smell was predominantly orange and maybe a little floral scent... I found the smell quite pleasant. Taste, again is dominated by orange up front (but it's not sweet or syrupy) with a little mildly malty beer flavor in the background. Fizzy mouthfeel. Slightly sour aftertaste. I'd say this is OK to try once for the novelty, but it won't be one of my regulars!

jimdkc, May 26, 2004
3.6/5  rDev +19.6%

Even with a vigorous pour, this beer has no head retention. Pours an orangey amber, with a lot of carbonation. Very nice Orange smell, with a subtle hint of honey. Tastes better than most cream ales, as it is dominated by a strong orange flavor, which is appealing to me, but can be overpowering. Due to the carbonation, the mouthfeel is more akin to a Coke than an ale, and even with vigorous agitation, the carbonation stays. I could definitely see drinking a few of these on a warm summer day on the front porch, and besides the pour, this beer is relatively well done. Plus the bottle has pretty frickin' cool artwork.

nortmand, May 25, 2004
2.73/5  rDev -9.3%

Orangy/light gold in color, poured clear, light carbonation, small head dissapeared quickly.
Aroma reminescent of orange soda and honey. Not a harsh orange, but smooth and somewhat floral. Not convincingly natural orange aroma, and not really anything special, maybe an extract.
Flavor was orangy and sweetish, a hint of honey, a little creaminess, not much else.
Body was thin to medium and finish was sweet with a very faint tartness. A dissapointing brew, no complexity, very tame and timid.
A gimmicky type brew for girlies.

brewandbbq, May 17, 2004
2.03/5  rDev -32.6%

The first beer that I reviewed on this site was Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale and I was definitely not impressed. Let's see how Bill does with an orange beer.

For starters, it's more amber than orange, but it's orangey enough to suit the name. Crystal clear with plenty of carbonation rising off the bottom of the glass. The head is dirty white, small and falls alarmingly quickly to a barely covering film, leaving not a trace of lace. The nose is amazingly orange-like and, in fact, reminds me quite a bit of Orange Crush. It doesn't really smell like beer at all.

It doesn't taste a whole lot like beer either. It tastes like a mixture of weak, watery orange soda and weak, watery, cheap lager. The orange flavor is decidedly artificial as well. There's no real maltiness or hoppiness to speak of, nor much of anything that resembles good beer. The body/mouthfeel is thin, watery and overly fizzy.

I imagine that it's possible to brew a passable, maybe even a pretty good, orange cream ale. If you've been looking for just such a thing, be aware that Orange Blossom Cream Ale is not it. It isn't offensive, but it's in the ballpark.

BuckeyeNation, May 16, 2004