Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

good

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: dsa7783 on 12-22-2007

At 7.5% alcohol, this award-winning brew is a true winter warmer. Blueberry Oatmeal Stout has hints of chocolate, oatmeal and fresh blueberries. A wonderful pairing of flavors! Great for the holidays and for those who enjoy discovering new beers.
to view more.
Ratings: 468 | Reviews: 241
4.23/5  rDev +27.8%

Pours a deep black with moderate head. Aroma of blueberries and roasted malt. Smooth oatmeal moderated taste with blueberries quickly followed by roasted malt and a lightly bitter finish of the burnt malt. Very easy to drink and enjoyable to the end. Not a beer for hopheads, but anyone else would enjoy.

3.09/5  rDev -6.6%

Nose of fresh Blueberries, faint lemon, chocolate, & malt. Taste sweet Blueberries, burnt brown sugar, malt, faint chocolate, bitter finish.

3.24/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a deep chocolate brown with minimal fizzy head and decent lacing. Aroma is full of blueberry, kind of halfway between natural and artificial. Taste is decent, light and has a nice blueberry taste up front and in the finish. Once again, the blueberry flavor almost borders on artificial, but nonetheless, it is pretty good. Mouthfeel is nice, with a good amount of carbonation and a good creaminess. Also, a touch chewy. A light bodied stout. 7.50 ABV you can feel the more you drink, slight burn.

3.71/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours opaque dark brown. The 1/2 inch tan head fades to a cap on top and leaves curtains of lace.

The smell is of roasted dark malt, cocoa, faint blueberry and earthy hops.

The taste is of roasted dark malt, chocolate and a hint of blueberry with a bitter hop finish.

The texture is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

The packaging makes this look like a novelty beer but, this is a solid oatmeal stout with just a hint of blueberry flavor.

3.68/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This was a nice brew very well balanced and not over powering.

4.42/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The best part of the beer it the subtle scent of blueberry pancakes when you hover your nose over it. You can barely notice when you drink it but I love this beer.

3.26/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle poured into a BarrelHouse Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours dark brown with a slight ruby tone and a frothy tan head that settles and laces well.

S: Sweet blueberry, though not overwhelming, dark roasted malt, a bit floral.

T: Dark roasted malt, pine, some earthiness, just enough blueberry to let you know it's in there though it does come out more as it warms and is most notable on the aftertaste, but not much more than that, closes with an odd lemon like bitterness on the finish.

M: Light to medium body, a some prickly carbonation.

O: This one makes me sad. The idea is there for a tasty beverage, the execution falls way short. Flavor and feel just aren't there.

Pours a thin head on a black body.
The aroma is roasted malt and a hint of blueberry.
The taste starts with roasted malt, then some blueberry, chocolate and finishes with lemon bitterness.
The texture is crisp and fizzy.
The flavor is fine, the texture is too fizzy though.

4.24/5  rDev +28.1%

Quite dark with a think white head and solid carbination. Looked a bit like Coca-cola from afar. Blueberry's dominate the scent, and they are quite strong in the taste. The oatmeal and hoppiness balances out excellently. A tad heavy in the mouth, but goes down smooth and without an aftertaste.

A friend brought over a six pack and forgot it in my fridge. Quite a pleasant suprise and hey, it's tough to beat free beer!

3.92/5  rDev +18.4%

I visited Buffalo Bill's once, over the Holiday Break in 2005. I used to have a girlfriend who lived in Hayward when we were stationed in Alameda in the late-1980s. I awoke this morning, ready for my usual repast of oatmeal (maybe with blueberries, I have that) and coffee, only to realize that the dishwasher was running and all of the necessary utensils were inside of it! Desparate times call for desparate measures and so my day begins in earnest. Random thoughts at 0614 (Local, EDT).

From the bottle: "Handcrafted"; "oatmeal stout brewed with blueberries and natural flavor added".

A screw-top!?! Really?!? I just felt like I went to a lot of unnecessary work and to take out my frustration, I nearly inverted the bottle until I realized what I was doing. At base, it is a stout, so if you do not think that there was a pseudo-cascade going on, you are deluding yourself. It settled into a dense finger of deep-tan head that acted as a cap above the beer. Nose was very fruity, very blueberry, and while I do not enjoy them quite as much as when I was a kid, blueberry pie remains my favorite. Ah, sweet blueberries ... Color was a deep, dark-brown (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. Mouthfeel was full, kind of creamy, dense with carbonation. The flavor was more blueberry than stout, so depending on your preference, it may or may not work for you. At this hour, it was working for me since I am positive that I would not have wanted a regular stout just now. The blueberry flavor was very evocative of summer and my youth and nostalgic drinking is one of my favorite things to do. Finish was semi-dry, since blueberries do not tend to be downright sweet anyway and when coupled with a non-sweet stout, they negated it being sweet. Very nice.

3.77/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Buffalo Bill's Brewery 'Blueberry Oatmeal Stout' @ 7.5% served from a 350 ml bottle purchased for $2.65

A-pour is cola brown from the bottle to a near black in the glass with some ruby red peeking thru a small tan head leaving a minimal lace along the pint

S-some hint of blueberries

T-boozy oatmeal stout

MF-ok carbonation , feels full body

Ov-ok beer , glad I only bought the single bottle ,

prost LampertLand

4.27/5  rDev +29%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This past summer, I came upon this tasty little brew at my local package store. Being a lover of blueberry flavored beers and stout, I gave it a shot. I was surprised that the blueberry flavor wasn't sickly sweet, and was well-balanced and didn't have a fake flavor to it. The sweetness from the fruit is balanced out with the toast of the stout. I enjoyed the six pack, and went back to buy more. I found it greatly refreshing on a warm day, and it went very well with burgers. My local didn't have any more, so I ordered it. I was told it was a winter seasonal and that I'd have to wait a few months to get more. I happened to buy the last one leftover from the last batch. When I can find it, it's a mainstay in my fridge.

3.96/5  rDev +19.6%

From the beginning, this beer asserts itself as a stout with its look: colored nearly black with brown hints in the light and a certain thickness to it, the light brown head a firm and frothy finger in height. It's not as assertive as it can be, with just more than moderate lace, but it' straightforward for sure.
There's a nice blueberry right up front in both aroma and flavor. Malts are sturdy and light on the roast, though that aspect is mildly present. the lighter roast lends the focus to the blueberry, though, as well as the creamier sweetness and the lightly earthy oat. Just a hint of baker's chocolate rides in, and a slight hint of creamy smokiness sneaks into the finish. This is a pleasant surprise from a brewery that hasn't wowed me before.
The mouthfeel follows the flavor nicely, smooth all the way as hoped in a mostly full body with some robustness to it. Roast is most noticeable in the feel, actually, leading into a roasty-dry finish. It COULD be a little fuller-bodied and ever so slightly smoother for the style.

4.14/5  rDev +25.1%

I just happen to see this beer on the shelve for the 1st time last Friday after work, so I thought Id try it since I like beer with flavor. It looked good. Well It is good. Good taste smell and 7.5% to boot with no nasty after after taste. Awesome If you like stout beer youll enjoy this brew very much.

3.54/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

OK, one last review for 2013. It items like a cheap stout. Black and not a lot of head, bit nothing funky.

The aroma is fruity the taste similarly is donated by the fruit, but has a little bitter going on. Both taste, aroma and aftertaste are pretty clean.

It all sort of works, but just barely. I intend to avoid this and everything from this brewery going forward.

3.28/5  rDev -0.9%

I bought a six-pack of Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout in a grocery store. Poured into a tulip.

Pours a black walnut color, nearly opaque with some garnet red hues when held up to the light. A modest beige head caps the brew.

Smell is decidedly blueberry. Not much besides that.

Taste is a sweet berry flavor up front, with a charcoal and coffee flavor in the middle and a dry blueberry fllavored finish.

Mouthfeel is a little thin for a stout. Dry and not cloying.

Overall a drinkable beery flavored stout. Better than I thought it would be.

2.56/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

When I first opened the bottle, it was like opening a very high carbonated soda with lots of noise! Pours a dark reddish brown with a thick head that took forever to dissipate. I have never seen this before. The aroma was pleasing with like a wheat blueberry pie. Just one sip and your mouth filled up with the carbonation! Damn Sam! Didn't taste too bad but the excessive carbonation killed it overall. Ended up poring the last 1/4 in the sink.

1.12/5  rDev -66.2%

Beer advocate let me down on this one. I checked it out, saw it in the cooler, so decided to try it. From the pour, which had so much carbonation, that it took 5 minutes to get the head down. The beer was literally 90% head and 10% beer, even with a slow pour. The smell had a hint of blueberries which was pleasant. The taste was horrible, I cannot describe how it hit my palette.
I tried one out of the glass, one out of the bottle. To make sure it wasn't me, I gave one to a friend which turned out to be a cruel joke but extremely funny.

3.03/5  rDev -8.5%

Nearly black pour with ruby hues at the edges; insane amounts of head, even with a gentle pour. Some sweetness to the smell but blueberries don't stick out in the smell or the taste. Don't get any of the silky smoothness I would expect from an oatmeal stout. A standard stout with not much else going on. Drinkable but nothing special about it.

3.46/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I got this for a friend when he was in southwest Wisconsin. I traded him a beer since I never tried this but he did warn me about the huge head and he was right. These bottles probably went through a second fermentation because the bottle cap had a lot of force behind it and even with a slow pour there was 5 times more head than beer. The aroma is still sweet with malts and blueberries. There are some robust flavors mixed with sweet blueberries but this is way too yeasty and it almost has more of a Belgian texture. Oh well as least I got to try it, but I’m sure that this is not the way it is suppose to taste.

3.01/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12oz twist off bottle at about fridge temp poured into a snifter. Just past its best buy date.

Appears black from a distance but when u look down at it there is some definite ruby brown colors showing. Pours with a skim layer of light tan head head that eventually fades to a ring. No real lacing to it, after a swirl of the glass some spotty ale shows but is quick to fall back into the beer.

A bit of blueberry mixes with? I don't know, something stout like, a light stout. Not a whole lot to the aroma on this one. Maybe a touch of something roasted or burnt, but still pretty light.

It's drinkable, but not a whole lot going on for a stout. Some blueberry mixes with a bit of light chocolate, light roast. Finishes with a slight burnt bitterness then back to a kind of fruit flavor.

Hard to say that this is actually an oatmeal stout, I'm getting pretty much no slick creaminess that I almost always find when oatmeal is used in the mash. Lighter bodied than it probably should be.

This was a let down, which was pretty much on par with my expectations. The stout flavors were just lacking. Nothing really off about it, and its pretty drinkable.

3.56/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Large dense tan head crowns a deep mahogany body. The head retention is quite good, thin lacing coats the glass walls.

Aroma: Blueberries are very prominent in the aroma, outshining the base stout. Nonetheless, thre are plenty of roasted barley and coffee notes to be had.

Taste: Opens with typical roasted stout flavors, as well as cold coffee. Soon afterward, the blueberries assert themselves, and dominate the taste to the close, although the underlying stout never vanishes; it is secondary to the blueberries. The relatively high ABV (7.5%) is quite artfully concealed, nothing hints of its presence. Finishes slightly sweet, with a moderate hop bitterness, and some charred flavors

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, full, quite pleasant, with no carbonation felt..

Drinkability/notes: Note bad at all, an interesting change of pace.

Presentation: Packaged in a short twelve-ounce brown glass bottle with a twist-off crown,, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

1.24/5  rDev -62.5%

Wow. Talk about regretting a beer purchase... Oatmeal stouts are my go to so when I saw this on the shelf for $30 for the case and 7.5% I figured what the hell ill look it up on BA. At a score of ~80 I went for it. I didn't expect it to be GREAT or anything but for the price figured ill try something a little bit different.

A - normal dark brown/black stout pour. Didn't really spend a lot of time scoping the color because I was too busy waiting for the ridiculous head to settle. 1/3 of the beer with a gentle pour and the beer was erupting into 2-3 inches of head.

S - fairly moderate and tame smell for a stout. Not a lot to take in, small wafts of something sweet and not reckognized.

T - this is an oatmeal stout? I guess. I'm not sure what else you could classify it is so it was their best option. Tastes like what you would imagine acid would taste without burning you. Blatantly unnatural. Not even going to try to analyze this one. Yes there is trace "blueberry" taste but nothing pleasant. It's a chaotic clash of bitter chalky crappy stout characteristics and fake blueberry extract.

M - wow. This is where this beer just goes from poor to shameful. Every sip erupts in your mouth like baking soda and vinegar in the most unpleasant and undrinkable fashion. Precisely the same nuisance that occurred in the pour is now occurring with every sip. And forget about drinking more than 2 of these. That many had me feeling like I hit an all you can eat buffet. But then again, did I really want any more of these?

overall - I can't figure out how this beer mustered an 80ish? I feel bamboozled. Conclusion? Non beer drinking, fruit loving, Stella Artois praising yuppies have sampled this concoction and deduced its dessert sounding name equated to a decadent brew. Steer clear stout lovers, don't make the same mistake as I did. Anyone want to buy 22 more of these?

2.44/5  rDev -26.3%

Got a 6 pack of bottles, first one not quite cold, so it went down the drain when it got too warm for my taste. Second one turned out to be a little better, but still searching for that blueberry taste. Not the best blueberry I've had. Should of only grabbed one and let it chill properly.

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I have had this beer a couple of times to make sure that I am rating it accurately. The smell, head and body all appear to be something that you will love, however, the finish, mouth and taste lack in what we typically would like in an outmeal stout. I have found that drinking it at a higher temperature yields a much better result - albeit, that is only after two trials. My recommendation - serve at around 60 degrees... The best comes out in it at that range.

to view more.