2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal StoutBuffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout

good

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

At 7.5% alcohol, this award-winning brew is a true winter warmer. Blueberry Oatmeal Stout has hints of chocolate, oatmeal and fresh blueberries. A wonderful pairing of flavors! Great for the holidays and for those who enjoy discovering new beers.

(Beer added by: dsa7783 on 12-22-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 421 | Reviews: 230 | Show All Ratings:
Jeff_Newell

4.28/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This past summer, I came upon this tasty little brew at my local package store. Being a lover of blueberry flavored beers and stout, I gave it a shot. I was surprised that the blueberry flavor wasn't sickly sweet, and was well-balanced and didn't have a fake flavor to it. The sweetness from the fruit is balanced out with the toast of the stout. I enjoyed the six pack, and went back to buy more. I found it greatly refreshing on a warm day, and it went very well with burgers. My local didn't have any more, so I ordered it. I was told it was a winter seasonal and that I'd have to wait a few months to get more. I happened to buy the last one leftover from the last batch. When I can find it, it's a mainstay in my fridge.

02-07-2014 14:20:27 | More by Jeff_Newell
Brenden

3.96/5  rDev +20.4%

From the beginning, this beer asserts itself as a stout with its look: colored nearly black with brown hints in the light and a certain thickness to it, the light brown head a firm and frothy finger in height. It's not as assertive as it can be, with just more than moderate lace, but it' straightforward for sure.
There's a nice blueberry right up front in both aroma and flavor. Malts are sturdy and light on the roast, though that aspect is mildly present. the lighter roast lends the focus to the blueberry, though, as well as the creamier sweetness and the lightly earthy oat. Just a hint of baker's chocolate rides in, and a slight hint of creamy smokiness sneaks into the finish. This is a pleasant surprise from a brewery that hasn't wowed me before.
The mouthfeel follows the flavor nicely, smooth all the way as hoped in a mostly full body with some robustness to it. Roast is most noticeable in the feel, actually, leading into a roasty-dry finish. It COULD be a little fuller-bodied and ever so slightly smoother for the style.

02-02-2014 14:32:33 | More by Brenden
Haruspex

Nebraska

4.14/5  rDev +25.8%

I just happen to see this beer on the shelve for the 1st time last Friday after work, so I thought Id try it since I like beer with flavor. It looked good. Well It is good. Good taste smell and 7.5% to boot with no nasty after after taste. Awesome If you like stout beer youll enjoy this brew very much.

01-28-2014 01:10:29 | More by Haruspex
schoolboy

3.54/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

OK, one last review for 2013. It items like a cheap stout. Black and not a lot of head, bit nothing funky.

The aroma is fruity the taste similarly is donated by the fruit, but has a little bitter going on. Both taste, aroma and aftertaste are pretty clean.

It all sort of works, but just barely. I intend to avoid this and everything from this brewery going forward.

01-01-2014 03:59:16 | More by schoolboy
RJLarse

Washington

3.3/5  rDev +0.3%

I bought a six-pack of Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout in a grocery store. Poured into a tulip.

Pours a black walnut color, nearly opaque with some garnet red hues when held up to the light. A modest beige head caps the brew.

Smell is decidedly blueberry. Not much besides that.

Taste is a sweet berry flavor up front, with a charcoal and coffee flavor in the middle and a dry blueberry fllavored finish.

Mouthfeel is a little thin for a stout. Dry and not cloying.

Overall a drinkable beery flavored stout. Better than I thought it would be.

12-16-2013 01:29:05 | More by RJLarse
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

2.53/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

When I first opened the bottle, it was like opening a very high carbonated soda with lots of noise! Pours a dark reddish brown with a thick head that took forever to dissipate. I have never seen this before. The aroma was pleasing with like a wheat blueberry pie. Just one sip and your mouth filled up with the carbonation! Damn Sam! Didn't taste too bad but the excessive carbonation killed it overall. Ended up poring the last 1/4 in the sink.

07-25-2013 22:01:22 | More by BeerWithMike
Johndhii

1.1/5  rDev -66.6%

Beer advocate let me down on this one. I checked it out, saw it in the cooler, so decided to try it. From the pour, which had so much carbonation, that it took 5 minutes to get the head down. The beer was literally 90% head and 10% beer, even with a slow pour. The smell had a hint of blueberries which was pleasant. The taste was horrible, I cannot describe how it hit my palette.
I tried one out of the glass, one out of the bottle. To make sure it wasn't me, I gave one to a friend which turned out to be a cruel joke but extremely funny.

05-03-2013 21:37:04 | More by Johndhii
DasPuma

3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

Nearly black pour with ruby hues at the edges; insane amounts of head, even with a gentle pour. Some sweetness to the smell but blueberries don't stick out in the smell or the taste. Don't get any of the silky smoothness I would expect from an oatmeal stout. A standard stout with not much else going on. Drinkable but nothing special about it.

04-17-2013 23:11:54 | More by DasPuma
Lemke10

Wisconsin

3.43/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I got this for a friend when he was in southwest Wisconsin. I traded him a beer since I never tried this but he did warn me about the huge head and he was right. These bottles probably went through a second fermentation because the bottle cap had a lot of force behind it and even with a slow pour there was 5 times more head than beer. The aroma is still sweet with malts and blueberries. There are some robust flavors mixed with sweet blueberries but this is way too yeasty and it almost has more of a Belgian texture. Oh well as least I got to try it, but I’m sure that this is not the way it is suppose to taste.

03-26-2013 03:52:39 | More by Lemke10
dogfishandi

3.03/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12oz twist off bottle at about fridge temp poured into a snifter. Just past its best buy date.

Appears black from a distance but when u look down at it there is some definite ruby brown colors showing. Pours with a skim layer of light tan head head that eventually fades to a ring. No real lacing to it, after a swirl of the glass some spotty ale shows but is quick to fall back into the beer.

A bit of blueberry mixes with? I don't know, something stout like, a light stout. Not a whole lot to the aroma on this one. Maybe a touch of something roasted or burnt, but still pretty light.

It's drinkable, but not a whole lot going on for a stout. Some blueberry mixes with a bit of light chocolate, light roast. Finishes with a slight burnt bitterness then back to a kind of fruit flavor.

Hard to say that this is actually an oatmeal stout, I'm getting pretty much no slick creaminess that I almost always find when oatmeal is used in the mash. Lighter bodied than it probably should be.

This was a let down, which was pretty much on par with my expectations. The stout flavors were just lacking. Nothing really off about it, and its pretty drinkable.

03-22-2013 22:23:52 | More by dogfishandi
Pegasus

3.55/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Large dense tan head crowns a deep mahogany body. The head retention is quite good, thin lacing coats the glass walls.

Aroma: Blueberries are very prominent in the aroma, outshining the base stout. Nonetheless, thre are plenty of roasted barley and coffee notes to be had.

Taste: Opens with typical roasted stout flavors, as well as cold coffee. Soon afterward, the blueberries assert themselves, and dominate the taste to the close, although the underlying stout never vanishes; it is secondary to the blueberries. The relatively high ABV (7.5%) is quite artfully concealed, nothing hints of its presence. Finishes slightly sweet, with a moderate hop bitterness, and some charred flavors

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, full, quite pleasant, with no carbonation felt..

Drinkability/notes: Note bad at all, an interesting change of pace.

Presentation: Packaged in a short twelve-ounce brown glass bottle with a twist-off crown,, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

03-17-2013 17:54:19 | More by Pegasus
rypkr

1.2/5  rDev -63.5%

Wow. Talk about regretting a beer purchase... Oatmeal stouts are my go to so when I saw this on the shelf for $30 for the case and 7.5% I figured what the hell ill look it up on BA. At a score of ~80 I went for it. I didn't expect it to be GREAT or anything but for the price figured ill try something a little bit different.

A - normal dark brown/black stout pour. Didn't really spend a lot of time scoping the color because I was too busy waiting for the ridiculous head to settle. 1/3 of the beer with a gentle pour and the beer was erupting into 2-3 inches of head.

S - fairly moderate and tame smell for a stout. Not a lot to take in, small wafts of something sweet and not reckognized.

T - this is an oatmeal stout? I guess. I'm not sure what else you could classify it is so it was their best option. Tastes like what you would imagine acid would taste without burning you. Blatantly unnatural. Not even going to try to analyze this one. Yes there is trace "blueberry" taste but nothing pleasant. It's a chaotic clash of bitter chalky crappy stout characteristics and fake blueberry extract.

M - wow. This is where this beer just goes from poor to shameful. Every sip erupts in your mouth like baking soda and vinegar in the most unpleasant and undrinkable fashion. Precisely the same nuisance that occurred in the pour is now occurring with every sip. And forget about drinking more than 2 of these. That many had me feeling like I hit an all you can eat buffet. But then again, did I really want any more of these?

overall - I can't figure out how this beer mustered an 80ish? I feel bamboozled. Conclusion? Non beer drinking, fruit loving, Stella Artois praising yuppies have sampled this concoction and deduced its dessert sounding name equated to a decadent brew. Steer clear stout lovers, don't make the same mistake as I did. Anyone want to buy 22 more of these?

03-17-2013 02:28:52 | More by rypkr
Keager

2.4/5  rDev -27.1%

Got a 6 pack of bottles, first one not quite cold, so it went down the drain when it got too warm for my taste. Second one turned out to be a little better, but still searching for that blueberry taste. Not the best blueberry I've had. Should of only grabbed one and let it chill properly.

03-16-2013 23:37:12 | More by Keager
Steelcitynsouth

3.45/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I have had this beer a couple of times to make sure that I am rating it accurately. The smell, head and body all appear to be something that you will love, however, the finish, mouth and taste lack in what we typically would like in an outmeal stout. I have found that drinking it at a higher temperature yields a much better result - albeit, that is only after two trials. My recommendation - serve at around 60 degrees... The best comes out in it at that range.

03-16-2013 02:16:22 | More by Steelcitynsouth
Dr_Bahmbay13

1.99/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 1.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I Purchased this in a Mix Six pack . I Picked 2 bottles of this beer, regretting that now.Fair amount of white looking sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Poured a white/cocoa 2 finger head which had a rich oatmeal bluberryish smell . A ton of bubbles and fizz , poured into the Fat Tire Tulip glass. The beer was very dark in color .When it took the swisharoo test not much lacing. The beer tasted Like nothing it smelled like. Stout yes, but a very thin style stout. For me the carbonation was out of freaking control.Berry Flavor was way in the back of the taste for me and the front was a faint oatmeal almost ale type flavor?Overall I did not enjoy this myself, but maybe someone who is just getting into fruit style stouts might enjoy this . Happy Hump Day!

03-13-2013 15:59:02 | More by Dr_Bahmbay13
Portertime

2.1/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a rich dark chocolate hue with smells of blueberry pie filling complete with a doughy crust. Taste is flat, burnt and unappealing. Blueberry is hardly noticeable and the rich roastiness I enjoy in a stout is virtually none existent. Mouthfeel is is stinging. The enjoy by 2/15/13 and today being 3/3 may be a clue. Drain pour.

03-04-2013 02:01:03 | More by Portertime
TMoney2591

2.53/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

I didn't know Mr. Cody was a brewer... Anyway, this stuff pours a midnight garnet topped by a finger of relatively short-lived khaki foam. The nose comprises blueberry syrup, blackened pretzel, and, oddly enough, pancake batter. The taste is a harsh double penetration, with artificial blueberry on one side and a starkly bitter helping of burnt malts on the other. You have to be into this sort of thing, and I guess you can count me out of that particular fetish group. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a fluid feel, and a dry finish. Overall, this stuff just didn't do it for me. Though things were placid enough in the smell, the flavors clash painfully, and it's unsure whether or not they would have tasted better apart from each other anyway. Add to that an oatmeal stout base that's just way too thin and not very creamy, and you have a rather subpar beer on your hands, son.

02-20-2013 20:11:03 | More by TMoney2591
GossageBrewery

Missouri

3.31/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. This Oatmeal Stout poured a poured a brownish color, produced a nice tan head, decent retention and it left a little lacing on the glass.
The aroma consisted of fresh blueberries and roasted malt. Medium in body, ultra smooth and creamy. Foundation of roasted malt, blueberry, and chocolate. Overall, nice session beer, first fruit Stout that I have sampled, it was well balanced.

02-18-2013 20:39:44 | More by GossageBrewery
ButterflyBethie

Missouri

3.46/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A- has a small caramel head that quickly dissipates with no lacing. The color is dark black. The appearance reminds me of Coca-cola

S- faint blueberry and coca smell

T- the blueberry is very faint. it has a bitter coca taste with a distinct after taste

M - feels more carbonated than it looks

O- If you drink this too cold it has very little flavor. Also even though it is listed as 7.5% ABV it feels stronger than that

02-17-2013 02:30:30 | More by ButterflyBethie
flexabull

3.19/5  rDev -3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark brown color with a small off white head.

Aromas have a touch of blueberries and cocoa without much else.

Taste is just like the nose. Light blueberry up front, it's restrained, and not over the top though. Seems to meld pretty well with the light stout flavors of cocoa, light coffee, and dark grains. It's certainly on the lighter side of the stout spectrum, almost like a porter with blueberries.

Mouthfeel is thin, but not overly so.

Usually I'm not a fan of most fruits beers that aren't wilds/lambics, but this one was at least drinkable and decent. Not something I'd try to revisit though.

02-07-2013 16:25:23 | More by flexabull
tjsdomer2

2.4/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Tons of foam. Looks like a black lager. Some blue tint to this as well.

Smell: Fresh blueberries.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Extremely sour and bitter. Mostly fake blueberries with some flavorless oatmeal.

Overall Drinkability: This tastes very dreadful. Everything else is ok though.

02-04-2013 00:44:01 | More by tjsdomer2
wlevando

Colorado

3.73/5  rDev +13.4%

Caveat lector: The can opener set off a bottle rocket. I didn't knock or warm the bottle as far as I can tell, but the beer is not skunked or anything.

Appearance: Fine, I guess. In a juice glass, filled in two ounce increments, the beer is nearly opaque brown with a soda-like head (bubbles nearly mm diameter)

Smell: Whole wheat blueberry pie. I've never had such a thing, but it would smell like this beer. A little complexity comes through the berry, but the former is overwhelmed.

Taste: Bold, to say the least. Strong, somewhat artificial, blueberry flavor is held up by a good malty backbone.

Mouthfeel: Not much more viscous than a soda.

Aftertaste: Tens of seconds duration malty flavor with faster fading estery blueberry.

My take: A very good blueberry beer. Similar in quality to Sea Dog's, but less refreshing, longer lasting, and more satisfying. Pretty good for a fruit beer, though the blueberry flavor itself leaves something to be desired.

01-16-2013 02:21:34 | More by wlevando
Murrhey

Montana

2.65/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Three finger mocha head. Low retention, but peaked lacing. Brown and murky.

S- Roasted malts, chocolate and definite blueberry. Nice smelling.

T- Acrid, chocolate, blueberry and some sourness. Not bad, but not something I'd like to drink a lot of.

M- Fizzy carbonation. Not a good feel.

O- Smells good, but the rest is forgettable or just bad.

01-05-2013 23:19:01 | More by Murrhey
TheSixthRing

3.55/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a deep, dark cordovan brown with a light tan 2 finger head. Average retention. Lacing is spotty with little stick.

Smell - Prominent blueberry aroma, overpowers much of the underlying stout character. Hints of oat, and even a touch of wild yeast character, slightly sour and funky, not unlike what you'd find in a belgian or wild ale.

Taste - Follows the nose. Strong blueberry and a funky sourness hit first. Moderate malt roastiness comes through mid-taste, hitting on burnt toffee, then finishes with a strong grassy bitterness that lingers well into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with a smooth, creamy profile. Goes down nice and easy.

Overall - A bit too much blueberry, not enough stout flavor for my liking. It's drinkable, but can get a bit too sweet with so much blueberry flavor dominating the profile.

12-24-2012 00:29:50 | More by TheSixthRing
UCLABrewN84

3.13/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours an almost opaque super dark brown with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, alcohol, and an artificial blueberry aroma. Taste is much the same with an alcohol kick and a fake blueberry flavor that is slightly medicinal. There is a mild roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty average beer that is drinkable but the blueberry presence is not very well done.

12-14-2012 05:15:29 | More by UCLABrewN84